I shouldn't have eaten that, but damn it was good.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: I shouldn't have eaten that, but damn it was good.

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Number3Pencils wrote:My friend told me that her friend is allergic to shellfish, so she carries an Epi-Pen with her. The thing is, this girl really loves shellfish. So she's with some people at a seafood restaurant. There are some clams. She plunges the Epi-Pen into her thigh, and starts shoveling away the clams as fast as she can before the stuff wears off.

Whoa.

There are few people for whom eating is an extreme sport, but I would count her among those few.

Yeah. I think that pretty much wins the thread.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Chicken.

Yes, i'm alergic to it. You won't believe it huh?
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

One time I was out at a pub with some mates and I jokingly said "Man it would be awesome if we could goto Tesco and get some profiteroles". 2Hrs later were standing in tescos and I'm buying a pyramid of chocolate coated profiteroles (4 Layers I think). That must have been around a whole days worth of sugar in there, but I finished it off in no time. Also, whole jars of Snickers spread on several occasions.

Good thing I rarely buy that kind of thing.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 am UTC

bought what? this post made no sense to me. explain this sugary thing!! (with pictures if you can)

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:24 am UTC

so back in Uni there was this burger joint that had been there since my Pops went there.
Called Griffs. They had a special called a Monster Meal it was supposed to be a burger, fries and drink combo. It was a three patty tiered cheese high-rise and crispy golden fries that was so greasy the bag they served it in would go clear.
You could only eat one a month or so because otherwise you'd have a coronary.
I still dream of them sometimes.
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:23 am UTC

Tempura from the grocery store (here in Japan)

They inevitably make me sick to my stomach but it's oh so good goin down.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

P.L.I.N.G

Postby P.L.I.N.G » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

I allways feel pretty bad and nocious after eating a whole bag of chips in like five minutes. But what are you supposed to do? It' tastes like heaven!

And also, I thought I was the only one whose mouth hurts after eating kiwi :D
"Before you judge a man , walk a mile in his shoes.
Therefore, when you judge him, you are a mile away from him and have his shoes"

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

is nocious meant to be nauseous?

anyway, I shouldn't have eaten all those gummi bears... oh well. I'm going to be photographing the macaroni cheese pizza when I make it this weekend though, cause thats an awesome food thingie.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

I like most McDonalds food. I think it's because I was exposed to it at an early age, at friends' birthday parties and the like.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Zimia wrote:Pineapple makes my gums swell up, but I love it. I only eat it occasionally, but when I do, I love it despite the pain/itchiness of swollen gums.

I have the same reaction to raw apples (and pears here and there). My doctor said I might be allergic to some enzyme that lives under the skin of an apple. I can eat apple sauce and I drink apple cider, but if I bite into a raw apple, all hell breaks loose in my gums and throat. They swell to the point that they bleed.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:bought what? this post made no sense to me. explain this sugary thing!! (with pictures if you can)
Something like this: [LINK]
They are ball shaped pastries with a cream filling and coated in a chocolate sauce. They are usually stacked in a pyramid shape. I brought a box containing about 4 portions worth and just ploughed through them.
My god their so nice though.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

elminster wrote:
parkaboy wrote:bought what? this post made no sense to me. explain this sugary thing!! (with pictures if you can)
Something like this: [LINK]
They are ball shaped pastries with a cream filling and coated in a chocolate sauce. They are usually stacked in a pyramid shape. I brought a box containing about 4 portions worth and just ploughed through them.
My god their so nice though.

Cream puffs? Kinda look like it anyways, except with chocolate syrup/sauce.

Here at work we have the lunchtime Calzone Challenge. A nearby pizza place serves a calzone slightly larger than an (american) football. The reward is nothing other than bragging rights, but the challenge is to finish off the calzone in 30 minutes or less. I have completed this once, and the remainder of the day was horrible. But the calzone was so tasty.

I do experience the pain from pineapple as well, however dehydrated pineapple doesn't do anything to me (no more liquids, hooray!).

As for sweets, the fudge recipe Clerria posted has done me in once or twice. So damn tasty, but eating so much of it seriously screws me up.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

A large bag of sour skittles will fuck up your mouth. But you just . . . can't . . . stop!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: I shouldn't have ate that, but damn it was good.

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:microwave? bacon? *looks at skillet* *looks at microwave* huh. i'll try that.

You can get devices such as this to facilitate microwaving of bacon. Allows the grease to drain away.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

Cabot's Habanero Cheddar Cheese. It's deliciously spicy and cheesy all at once, and it hurts going in and coming out. But it's such a good kind of hurt!

I am a huge fan of kiwi and pineapple. Kiwi only hurts after about three fruits. Yes, I've experimented with this. I need to get these fruits more often.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

On campus there is this egg roll stand. It is delicious, and oh so greasy, and very cheap. If you ate it too much it would mess with your digestion, but it was worth it.

But a very interesting thing. A few years ago, they went under for a bit for fencing black market goods. Came back under new management.
418 I'm a teapot

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

I have the same reaction to kiwi and pineapple. I'm not attached enough to the flavor of either to bother with eating them. Fresh figs, on the other hand........ ;_; My parents have a huge fig tree, and when I was a kid, I'd eat them till my tongue was all raw and I couldn't taste anything. But fuck if it wasn't worth it.
You don't make them touch!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

The cheese dip you can only find in real Mexican restaurants. Not Taco Bell or other fast-food "Meximerican" places. That stuff is the nectar of the cheese gods. But, I'm lactose intolerant. I need about three or four lactaids before I eat that good stuff.

I had a problem with pineapple or honeydew melon once. The roof of my mouth felt like sandpaper, and my tongue felt like it had a fur coat on it. It went away after about an hour. Did that stop me from eating the rest of the tray of fruit? Hell no.

The only major problem I have had with foods that is hard to explain has to do with Papa John's pizza. I avoid them at all costs. I have never had the problem with other pizza brands, or anywhere else. The sauce at Papa John's irritates my throat. I think there's some kind of spice in it that I'm allergic to. I don't break out, nor does my throat swell up. It does, however, feel like someone was driving a rusty, jagged-edge knife, and twirling it around in my throat. The only way to cure it was drink lots of milk. Now, remember what I said earlier about lactose intolerance? Yep. I've never had the spice problem with any other pizza, although on occasion I do with other spicy foods.
PRG

An important message for you:

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

I'm going to be photographing the macaroni cheese pizza when I make it this weekend though, cause thats an awesome food thingie.

That sounds incredible :o I'll swap you an idiot-proof Irish soda bread recipe for yours.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:The cheese dip you can only find in real Mexican restaurants.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think no such thing exists.

If it's yellow cheese, it's an American adaptation. If it's a liquid cheese, it's American. If it's nachos (with meat and cheese and tomatoes and salsa and sour cream), it's American. If it's a burrito, it's American.

There is a thing called queso fundido, which is actually Mexican, but I doubt that's what you're talking about, since I for one have rarely ifever seen it properly done in a restaurant in the US. (Granted, maybe you're talking about places in LA and such where recent Mexican immigrants come and open restaurants with exactly the same style of food they had in their home city, in which case I stand corrected.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

I discovered a Subway sub on the passenger-side floor of my friend's K-car. I ate it. I paid. It was deliciously soggy and warm and pungent. Like, marinated. Tasty... but ugh. Mayo in July after two weeks is not a grand idea.

Also, I ate a half-bag of opened orange gummi slices I found on a bench in an alleyway. No ill effects other than the slightly harder-than-normal texture. I know it sounds gross, but FREE GUMMI ORANGES!
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

d33p wrote:I discovered a Subway sub on the passenger-side floor of my friend's K-car. I ate it. I paid. It was deliciously soggy and warm and pungent. Like, marinated. Tasty... but ugh. Mayo in July after two weeks is not a grand idea.

Also, I ate a half-bag of opened orange gummi slices I found on a bench in an alleyway. No ill effects other than the slightly harder-than-normal texture. I know it sounds gross, but FREE GUMMI ORANGES!

Christ, were you homeless at the time?!?! They probably gave you hepatitis.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

Nope. Just really, really poor. I don't think hepatitis can be carried by high-fructose corn syrup, luckily.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

d33p wrote:Nope. Just really, really poor. I don't think hepatitis can be carried by high-fructose corn syrup, luckily.

Ah, but are you sure? Strangely I'm now craving some sort of gummi goodness now. I should never go anywhere food is mentioned, it sparks something in Cara's head telling her to eat.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:...I've never had the spice problem with any other pizza, although on occasion I do with other spicy foods.

You just jogged my memory - sometimes certain curries attempt to kill me. Not in any way proportional to their spiciness, which is the odd thing, but very occasionally I'll take a bite and start coughing and spluttering and generally looking like a fool.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

If you eat too many sunflower seeds the shells will lacerate your mouth (usually happens after a long night of coding). Also, a friend of mine was a dumbass and tried to just chew them all up and swallow them shells and all. As it turns out, they're just as sharp on the way out.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

The mango-habenero sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings.... SOOOO good going in, not nearly as pleasant going out.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

I get cravings for garlic. Giant mounds of fresh chopped garlic piled into pasta sauce or garlic bread and suchlike. I'm then up all night with heartburn, but I just can't care.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

@trophy wrote:SOOOO good going in, not nearly as pleasant going out.

That's what she said.
PRG

An important message for you:

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
@trophy wrote:SOOOO good going in, not nearly as pleasant going out.

That's what she said.

LOL you owe me for such a perfect setup...
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Bacon and cream cheese on a bagel.

My arteries are screaming obscenities at me as we speak.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Oh heavens the most wonderful sandwich...turkey, bacon, and pork sausage, sage and onion stuffing with cranberry chutney and mayonnaise. I could only manage to eat half and I reckon I still consumed a day's worth of calories.

Chocceh

Postby Chocceh » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Yesterday I had two slices of pizza that almost had my reflection in them. I wondered whether to put a napkin on it for a couple minutes to take the grease down a couple hundred Grease Units or to just eat it and be done with it. I decided on the latter.
Okay

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers. The whole box..milk carton.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

so we get these large boxes of frozen pizza-filled breadsticks at my house...they are greasy as hell but oh so tasty. last week, I ate four at once and they proceeded to unleash an eight-hour reign of terror on my digestive system.

I just ate two more. mmm....
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Ess

Postby Ess » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:I get cravings for garlic. Giant mounds of fresh chopped garlic piled into pasta sauce or garlic bread and suchlike. I'm then up all night with heartburn, but I just can't care.

I don't get heartburn, but garlic hates me just as much as I love it. The smell gives me one hell of a headache, but it's sooo good!

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:08 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:On campus there is this egg roll stand. It is delicious, and oh so greasy, and very cheap. If you ate it too much it would mess with your digestion, but it was worth it.

But a very interesting thing. A few years ago, they went under for a bit for fencing black market goods. Came back under new management.

I remember that place. They made some mean fried rice. Do you remember the restaurant on Guadalupe that ended up being a front for money laundering?

As for food I put Sriracha on pretty much everything, and then regret it at around 3am.
Take your play seriously

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:21 am UTC

Govalant wrote:Chicken.

This is really sad....... I can't eat chicken either (or turkey, or eggs).
:cry: I misses mah fried chickunz. :cry:

Any poultry makes my joints ache and puts my mind into a dull state - to where I walk into walls. It's a bad-hair-day-from-HELL and lasts almost a week. The odd thing is, after I eat something like that, I'm fine for a day or so... then it hits me about 36 hours later. I hurt all over, I can't think, I can't function, you don't want me driving a vehicle..... sad, sad, sad.

So I DON'T eat chicken or eggs. There's no "it was worth it" inside five days of agony. I do eat some things that have egg in them (breads, etc), but not something that's predominately egg - like soufflé or custard. I just don't.

Lucky thing I discovered this while doing some research. I read about it, abstained from certain foods for a week then added them back into my diet one at a time. Uncovering something like this requires keeping a food diary/journal. In my case it was worth the extra effort.

Dustbin

Postby Dustbin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:57 am UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:On campus there is this egg roll stand. It is delicious, and oh so greasy, and very cheap. If you ate it too much it would mess with your digestion, but it was worth it.

When I was reading this I was thinking well that's weird we had the same thing here. Then I looked at your location, heh another Austinite.

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:35 am UTC

Every November, our local grocery store gets its first ship of pomegranates.

Every year, I actively attempt to forget what my digestive system has to say about pomegranates.

Every year, my sense of taste overpowers my will, and I spend the next 8 hours wanting to die.

And every delicious, taut, juice-stuffed little nugget of joy is worth it.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Return to “Food”