which biscuit is best

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

evilbeanfiend

which biscuit is best

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

so what is your favourite biscuit. to skirt around the whole 'is it a biscuit or not issue' we will use http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ definition i.e. they come in packs, they have two sides, they can be dunked in tea (or 'slammed' for certain biscuits from the colonies)

mine is the fox's classic

i was just going to suggest that we need a food forum and wham, there it is!
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: which biscuit is best

Postby Angelene » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Ahhh, the very second I saw the title I knew exactly what I was going to say. Great minds.
Review.
Last edited by Angelene on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

I am fond of Garibaldi biscuits. But I've rarely met a biscuit I didn't like. Thickly coated in chocolate is not to my taste.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Prole

Postby Prole » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:40 pm UTC

I enjoy caramel digestives.

They accompany a cup of tea nicely.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

oddly enough CaraInFlames fox's classic seems to be different to what i meant. http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ ... 3?item=130

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:oddly enough CaraInFlames fox's classic seems to be different to what i meant. http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ ... 3?item=130

Ahhh, I was wondering if you maybe meant those...but figured that mine was the biscuitier of the two so I thought I was erring on the side of reasonability. Mine are nicer, too.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

PatrickRsGhost

Re: which biscuit (Cookie to us Bloody Americans) is best

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

You might want to change the title, or specify in the first message when you say "biscuit" you mean the British version, not the American version. What you call "biscuits" there, we call "cookies" here.

American "Biscuit" (with a piece of fried chicken, making it a "chicken biscuit", often acquired for breakfast):

As far as in the British sense, I've never tried any of the British brands or flavors. Here in the States we have hundreds of various flavors and brands. I tend to lean towards the Nabisco (originally called National Biscuit Company) brand, which makes Oreos and Chips-Ahoy, among other flavors or names. I prefer homemade chocolate chip, though, or else brownie cookies from the Ingles Bakery. They take brownie batter, add chocolate chips, bake in cookie form, and sprinkle confectioner's (powdered) sugar on top. Much win. Spread some Nutella on top, and you have brownie-Nutella orgasm.
PRG

An important message for you:

tiny

Postby tiny » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

'Cakes' oat cookies by Koelln. They taste even better than 'Hobbits' made by Brandt. Though the latter ones definitely have the cooler name.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

I think I have to go for just McVitie's milk chocolate digestives, though I prefer dunking them in hot chocolate. I may have dragged two of my friends down to the shop with me this morning when it was still really quite cold out to buy some, because I decided I needed them to make the hot chocolate I wanted to make complete...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:59 am UTC

McVitie's digestives are good; they have the optimal coffee absorption quotient. Chocolate is fine, but I prefer them plain. I grew up largely on biscuits made by an Indian company called 'Britannia'. However, I can no longer vouch for their quality, since I haven't tried them in about ten years.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:04 am UTC

There is a man in England who sends me biscuits I can't get in the US to ensure my cooperation in various matters. As he puts it "I know. I know. No biscuits, no parlay."

I am making him a list based on this thread. * drool *

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:45 am UTC

Cassi wrote:I think I have to go for just McVitie's milk chocolate digestives
Me too. Totally.
Hammer wrote:There is a man in England who sends me biscuits I can't get in the US to ensure my cooperation in various matters.
I don't think my sister-in-law would have let me in the house if I hadn't brought ten packs of McVitie's when I visited the US.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:You might want to change the title, or specify in the first message when you say "biscuit" you mean the British version, not the American version. What you call "biscuits" there, we call "cookies" here.

its slightly more complicated then that, we have biscuits and cookies. cookies are usually soft, biscuits are usually hard.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:its slightly more complicated then that, we have biscuits and cookies. cookies are usually soft, biscuits are usually hard.
I heard once that a cookie gets harder when it gets stale and a biscuit gets softer when it gets stale. Same idea, but without the subjectivity of hard and soft. Rather, for H=hardness, you're certain of a positive or negative dH/dt.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

I thought that was for the difference between biscuits and cake? I seem to remember something about it on QI once...

Prole

Postby Prole » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:I thought that was for the difference between biscuits and cake? I seem to remember something about it on QI once...

The QI discussion was on jaffa cakes.

In england cakes get taxed less than biscuits, hence the jaffa cake company wanted their teatime snacks to be seen by the government as cakes.

The ruling went that since the jaffa's were soft, they were cakes.

\end{uselesstrivia}

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

Oh yea, and they baked like a really big jaffa cake to prove it...I remember now. :P

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

In England a biscuit is something that is at least twice baked. this used to be done so they would keep for a long time. Biscuits of ships used to be baked at least four times to ensure that they didn't go off for months.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Prole wrote:In england cakes get taxed less than biscuits

Say what? You people and your weird taxes!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

quiet you! with you easily calcuable VAT!

calcuable << This might actually be a word.

editted for typo
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:

quiet you! with you easily calcuable VAT!

Ask Bakemaster why this country considers the tomato a vegetable, before you let him get away with that crap. Hint: It's tax-related. :D

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Bakemaster why does your country consider a tomato a vegetable?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:37 am UTC

So, is this thread for cookies as well as biscuits, since there is apparently a difference?

If so, my absolute favourite cookies EVER are Dad's Oatmeal Cookies. Great taste and just the right amount of crunch make for the best oatmeal cookie in existence.

In terms of biscuits, I don't think I've ever had anything that would be called a biscuit then. This definitely needs to be remedied.

cheesegrits

Postby cheesegrits » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:05 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:In England a biscuit is something that is at least twice baked. this used to be done so they would keep for a long time. Biscuits of ships used to be baked at least four times to ensure that they didn't go off for months.

As a Brit, I hate to point this out, but biscuit is actually a French thing. Bis (twice), cuit (baked). But who cares, we won Agincourt. To the victor goes the spoils, and all that.

To answer the main question ... Chocolate Hobnobs. I have a standing rule ... any of my pals from England are welcome to come and stay when they visit the US, but they MUST bring:

Chocolate Hobnobs.
Jaffa Cakes.
A pound or two of decent Lincolnshire sausages.
A four pack of Theakstons or Ruddles.
Cadbury's Flakes (preferably by the gross).
This weeks issue of Private Eye.

I once had someone bring cod and chips (in curry sauce) when I was meeting them off the plane at JFK, but the results were ... unsatisfactory.

-- hugh

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

I do love hobnobs. Although people laugh at me when I eat one whole; Its the only way to avoid crumbs!

cheesegrits

Postby cheesegrits » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:13 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:I do love hobnobs. Although people laugh at me when I eat one whole; Its the only way to avoid crumbs!

Absolutely!

Unfortunately I can no longer afford to be so profligate with them. They are such a rare treat, I have to make each one last as long as possible.

I used to be a chocolate Digestive fool, but Hobnobs arrived and edged them out because of the Dunking Issue. Digestives are just slightly too wide for the average coffee cup, and also require too much finesse when you are busy coding and can't spare the brain cells. Hobnobs are just one swift dunk, no counting to two and a half monkeys (or mississippis). You have to be slightly careful, otherwise its teaspoon time, but a steady hand can usually transfer to mouth before the collapse occurs.

-- hugh

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Easy answer: All Abouts (Girl Scout Cookies):
http://buygirlscoutcookies.com/cookie_varieties.html

Thin mints are my favorite Girl Scout cookie, but All Abouts go the best with tea. KF
~Kizyr

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Chocolate Fingers are absolutely wonderful, but if you don't mind the non-dunkability, you can't beat Jammie Dodgers; I keep a packet of them in my desk drawer at all times!

cheesegrits

Postby cheesegrits » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

schrodingersduck wrote:Chocolate Fingers are absolutely wonderful, but if you don't mind the non-dunkability, you can't beat Jammie Dodgers; I keep a packet of them in my desk drawer at all times!

Whats the problem with Jammie Dodger dunking? It's been a while, but I don't remember them being particularly troublesome. Slight sludge factor, but as I recall the jam typically holds things together long enough to affect the transfer from cup to face.

I'll have to do some experiments with the local US equivalent.

-- hugh

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:Bakemaster why does your country consider a tomato a vegetable?

The answer is that it considers a tomato both a fruit and a vegetable depending on whether you're using the culinary or the botanical definition of fruits and vegetables. Wikipedia says the tomato is both the state fruit and the state vegetable of Arkansas. Of course, Arkansas is the state with the motto, "Hey, At Least We're Not Mississippi."
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:31 am UTC

cheesegrits wrote:As a Brit, I hate to point this out, but biscuit is actually a French thing. Bis (twice), cuit (baked). But who cares, we won Agincourt. To the victor goes the spoils, and all that.

And you beat them in World War 2.

In Mew Zealand, I would use biscuit and cookie to mean the same thing, the standard defintion from the biscuit site above.

My favourite is the Tim-Tam, a chocolate coated thing that can be used as a straw. Bite off two opposite corners, dip it in milk, and suck. Then eat it. Delish.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:27 am UTC

cheesegrits wrote:
schrodingersduck wrote:Chocolate Fingers are absolutely wonderful, but if you don't mind the non-dunkability, you can't beat Jammie Dodgers; I keep a packet of them in my desk drawer at all times!

Whats the problem with Jammie Dodger dunking? It's been a while, but I don't remember them being particularly troublesome. Slight sludge factor, but as I recall the jam typically holds things together long enough to affect the transfer from cup to face.

-- hugh

Tea and jam taste kind of strange together, plus Jammie Dodgers are made of a very soft, crumbly biscuit, so they tend to fall apart in a sludgy mess on your lap rather than staying hard from cup to mouth (double entendre not intended)

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:So, is this thread for cookies as well as biscuits, since there is apparently a difference?

if it can be dunked in tea then yes it counts (see first post for full definition)

oh and tim tams are a very close second for me, they are definitely superior to the penguin imho even though penguins came first and are slightly larger. i'm not 100% convinced by the tim tam slam though :?

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:My favourite is the Tim-Tam.

Why hasn't this been mentioned earlier? I read through the thread looking for a Tim-Tam mention, and I didn't see one until disappointingly late in the thread.

They are incredible.

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:
pollywog wrote:My favourite is the Tim-Tam.

Why hasn't this been mentioned earlier? I read through the thread looking for a Tim-Tam mention, and I didn't see one until disappointingly late in the thread.

They are incredible.

See, now I'm want some. This requires a 1.5 hour walk, barefoot over gravel, in the hot sun, and $4 to buy a packet. And it's still worth it.
i'm fucking magic

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

I suggest buying shoes.

Anyway, the answer is "buttermilk". Because a properly made buttermilk biscuit is too strong to be confined in a single country's definition of "biscuit". It will escape the american definition and smash all the english versions, too.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I suggest buying shoes.

I spent all my money on Tim-Tams.
i'm fucking magic

cheesegrits

Postby cheesegrits » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

schrodingersduck wrote:
cheesegrits wrote:

-- hugh

Tea and jam taste kind of strange together, plus Jammie Dodgers are made of a very soft, crumbly biscuit, so they tend to fall apart in a sludgy mess on your lap rather than staying hard from cup to mouth (double entendre not intended)

And none taken. Fnar fnar!

I managed to find some actual Jammie Dodgers at my local Indian food store (also the only place in town I can get actual PG Tips, although I'm not sure about these new topologically impossible pyramid shaped bags - how can a pyramid only have two sides??).

Anyway. It's all in the wrist action. A quick but firm dunk of the complete Dodger (no double dunking for those bad boys), twist wrist upwards on exit and raise smoothly to face level, then move mouth to Dodger and engulf as it reaches apogee. But remember - He Who Hesitates Is Lost.

I seem to recall the same principle applied to Custard Creams, although it's been 16 years since I had the pleasure. Hmmmm ... Custard Creams ... (Homer style drooling) ...

-- hugh

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 am UTC

pollywog wrote:
Belial wrote:I suggest buying shoes.

I spent all my money on Tim-Tams.

And it was money well-spent.

Return to “Food”