Energy Drinks

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chaz

Re: Energy Drinks

Postby Chaz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:14 am UTC

I drink Wired X344. It has the most caffeine out of the energy drinks I can find in my area when I browsed through the Caffeine Database website.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:52 am UTC

When I go to Lollapalooza, I am going to make a list of energy drinks to have on myself to keep myself awake through the early and late bands.

It will most likely be a mix of Bawls and Red Bulls for maximum portability and deliciousness.

Arjy

Postby Arjy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

I love cherry bawls, but they dont sell it around here, so I have to order it in bulk from thinkgeek.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

My personal favorite (if simply for its ability to keep me alert/awake) is Amp. I drive long distances pretty regularly and once drove 14 hours on two of those things (and 2 hours of sleep), so I'm pretty much sold until they stop working for me.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:25 am UTC

Bookoo and Rockstar for me. I'd love to try Bawl's though.

I had something awful the other day, and do not remember it. It was sorta spicy-ish, but incredibly sweet. Like ice-tea concentrate or something. *shudders*
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:01 am UTC

I'm a caffeine fiend. I find the amount of lift I get from energy drinks is negligible. Red Bull is too salty for my tastes. I like coffee. Large doses of starbucks drip coffee. One Venti drip will keep me going for a long time. If I'm really desperate, I'll combine the caffeine with some ephedrine. That combo will keep me awake for about 14 hours (assuming I don't have a heart attack or stroke out, or otherwise die first.) I still have my stash of diet pills that combined 250 mg of caffeine with 25 mg of ephedrine (from ephedra), which is another example of some Very Strong Stuff that got me through grad school (as a chemistry major, unsurprisingly.)
Huh? What?

caje

Postby caje » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Bawls or GTFO. :D

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:42 am UTC

The new juice Relentless is actually a lot nicer then I thought it was going to be. It's like Lilt but with caffeine in. Really tasty, and it should work as a good mixer as well.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Kiki

Postby Kiki » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Mmmmm I loved Full Throttle Fury. But all the caffeine makes me feel terrible so I stay away from energy drinks now.

Oh, and Whoop Ass! It tastes terrible IMO, but hey, it comes in a cool can. Plus it revitalizes attitude and restores faith in mankind. Can't beat that.

Aran Kedar

Postby Aran Kedar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 am UTC

I have never liked Rockstar. Bawls is an okay drink, it and NOS give me the best buzzes and sugar highs. The best taste that I've found is in the purple Monster flavor (I can never recall its name). Whatever it is, it's like the grape juice they serve for communion at my church, except with lots of sugar and carbonated.
You've been transfer-whacked.

Sam Knight

Postby Sam Knight » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:45 am UTC

Chaz wrote:I drink Wired X344. It has the most caffeine out of the energy drinks I can find in my area when I browsed through the Caffeine Database website.

Arghhh! I need to find Wired X505. The strongest energy drink I can find in Sydney is BSN Endorush: 344mg of caffeine but it has a far more powerful hit than 344mg worth of Red Bull or anything else I've tried. Unfortunately it's actually strong enough to severely impair my thinking abilities after a while (had 4/5ths of a bottle before a linear algebra exam.. [3i+2j] - [2i-j] = Why can't I do this line?)

Does anybody know where to get X505 in Sydney?

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Full throttle Blue Demon is wonderful...

but it takes me like 3 days to finish one so i avoid the caffeine...
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:54 am UTC

Does anyone have any good homemade energy drink recipes? The ones I've found on the internet so far have been largely unimaginative
(e.g., water, sugar, salt, lemon juice)
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

that was one crazy necro.

My fav drink is this one called Mother - don't know if you guys have it where you live. Another one called Relentless is close second!

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

NOS and RedBull have to be my favorites. Amp is another good one.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:This being a sciencey bunch, I'd expect this thread to include the ingredients they contain (besides caffeine and corn syrup) that actually work, and how much each has. Taurine, ginseng and such of the sort. I'd like to see that sort of comparison, anyway, since taste is so subjective.

I think most of them have an dose of placebo in them because they have the word "energy" on the can along with some other eXtreme words.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Darkname

Postby Darkname » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/a273/?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/b472/?

i thought thoose look kinda cool but are very expensive at my local micro center...

Thinking about trying one.. or seven

Thoughts?
BLARG!!

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

I've become a huge fan of Boost recently, 1L bottles for a pound, also when I feel like paying more for less Relentless Juiced is quite nice to.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:51 pm UTC

Darkname wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/a273/?

i thought thoose look kinda cool but are very expensive at my local micro center...

Thoughts?

Low calorie energy drinks amuse me.

Ell

Postby Ell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Darkname wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/a273/?

Thoughts?

Tried a Mana Potion once (my SO bought it for me on a whim). Tasted like feet straight out of the fridge, and significantly more so when left out to warm up. The caffeine buzz was pretty similar to what you'd expect from a Red Bull or two. Overall, nothing special, and not worth the cost for the gimmicky packaging IMHO.
<luke> you're too rational for a girl anyway

tbpk2099

Postby tbpk2099 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

I don't drink energy drinks too often... not a big fan of caffeine. But one day before a gymnastics open gym that was two hours long i had a zip fizz. It's a little pouch of powder much like the crystal lite packets you add to a bottle of water but this stuff makes you go crazy. at least it did for me. Normally, with my infinite amounts of energy i don't need any "extra energy" but i get gassed at these open gyms doing a lot of tumbling. With the Zip Fizz I was bouncing off the walls for more than the two hours of open gym, literally. Instead of caffeine and stuff like that it has vitamin B12 or whatever that energy producing vitamin is. And its got like 20 times the daily amount you need or whatever, not too sure how healthy that is for you. But this stuff made me wired all night. I probably stayed up until about 3 in the morning that day. And i took it at like 6:30. Its good stuff. Doesn't taste the best though....

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:01 am UTC

tbpk2099 wrote:Instead of caffeine and stuff like that it has vitamin B12 or whatever that energy producing vitamin is. And its got like 20 times the daily amount you need or whatever, not too sure how healthy that is for you.
The amounts of water soluble vitamins (which will come out of you in a matter of hours, usually) needed to cause any real harm tend to be insane; and most daily amount regulations are based on minimums to ward of specific nutrient-deficiency diseases. If you used the stuff every day, a real worry would probably be what you might be doing to your body in that time, assuming it would normally be getting tired for reasons other than lack a handful of vitamins (like lack of other useful chemicals in the blood, damage to repair, etc.).
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Seconding cerbie's info about vitamins. The key really in regard to safety is solubility; Vitamin A, for example, is lipophilic (fat-soluble) and can be very toxic at relatively low levels; if memory serves, as little as three times the RDA for Vitamin A can produce toxic effects. This is because you *can't* piss it out like you can a water-soluble vitamin. It sits in your fat cells and accumulates. If we pissed oil instead of water, Vitamin A would probably be a lot safer in large doses. Of course, then we'd have to drink salad dressing at parties instead of soda.

Vitamin C and the B-complex vitamins are pretty safe to take in large amounts. There are even doctors who have experimented with macro-dosages of vitamin C as an alternative form of chemotherapy for cancer patients. The scientific consensus is that it doesn't actually work as a cancer treatment, but patients who were given hundreds of grams daily during the trials had only minor temporary side effects from the Vitamin C. That's several thousand times the RDA for Vitamin C.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:49 am UTC

NOS for me. I have a bottle of that stuff, and then break into sweats climbing stairs. Wowza.

viioleteyes

Postby viioleteyes » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:22 am UTC

I am a energy lovin fool!! lol
I think anything other than 5hour energy shots are a total waste.
I started taking 5hours a year ago, i am so hooked on them..lol
they do the trick though for real!! and no jitters, no crashing... and they seriously get you going. :D You can get them by the case at Bjs...

Dason

Postby Dason » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:21 am UTC

viioleteyes wrote:I am a energy lovin fool!! lol
I think anything other than 5hour energy shots are a total waste.
I started taking 5hours a year ago, i am so hooked on them..lol
they do the trick though for real!! and no jitters, no crashing... and they seriously get you going. :D You can get them by the case at Bjs...

Meh. I like the 5 hour energy shots for when I'm driving. I kind of like the flavors too. They're expensive but they work decently enough and I don't want to drink coffee or the ridiculously sized energy drinks when driving because then I have to piss every damn hour or whatever.

I do like the purple monster I think it is. Tastes all grape like and is delicious. Mmm. I don't mind the taste of red bull. I know a lot of people who hate the taste but I kind of like it. Too expensive to buy though.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

debbiefisher

Postby debbiefisher » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Red Bull is best energy drink for me.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

XS. I can't stand the flavors of any of the other drinks, not to mention all the sugar. Rootbeer XS is amazing.

XKCDeviant

Postby XKCDeviant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

Relentless Energy Drink, 500ml. About twice as strong as RedBull, or so I've been told, never actually done the comparison. After a 6 pack of them the walls melt. Shortly after that, your eyes do too.

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

Say what you will. I know the whole "Oh me yarm it's cocaine!" aspect throws people off, and it's RIDICULOUSLY horrible for you, but goddamn if it doesn't punch you in the adrenal glads and taste like liquid morphine.

This shit was EPIC. I wish that parents would lay off so it would still be around.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Hey guys, look what else got defictionalised...

https://www.powerthirst.ca/store.aspx

Awesome.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

There's an energy drink we have in Cyprus called Shark. It tastes almost exactly like Red Bull, but it's clearly cooler because it is called Shark.

Oh, there's also a marijuana flavour energy drink you can get in a couple of supermarkets here. It tastes really weird.

Return to “Food”