None (I'm vegetarian)
5%
None (I'm vegan)
1%
Cow (Beef and derivatives)
29%
Pig (Pork and derivatives)
15%
Chicken (Everything is made of chicken anyway)
19%
Anything with gills (Crabmeat is made of haddock anyway)
10%
Cute animals (Rabbits and Ducks and Deer, among others)
14%
Obscure animals (Emu, Alligator, Dog and Turtle, among others)
8%

Total votes: 343

zenten

Re: What is your favourite animal to eat?

Postby zenten » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

Venison makes the best stakes.

I had some elk last night, I think it was overcooked, it just tasted like bland beef.

Rabbit was somewhat tasty the one time I had it, but I found it anoying with all the bones.

The one time I had moose it was disgusting, but that could have been how it was prepared.

Bison tasted ok, but that was a President's Choice hamburger, so it probably wasn't the best example.

I like just about anything that comes from the water, except most bony fish for some reason. Catfish is yum though.

Cow, pig and chicken are all good of course, depending on how you prepare them.

The one time I had duck was when I cooked it, and I don't think I did it justice. Quail is tasty, but has the same bone issue as the bunnies.

Lamb is usually a sure fire hit. Veal is very much hit or miss though (but is damn good when it's a hit).

Ostritch was really bland. Apparently good for you though.

Man, there are so many animals I still have to eat, and so little time.

panther3751

Postby panther3751 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:20 am UTC

Bison is delicious, and I will be yet another person to recommend it to all who love the taste of flesh. Try it as a steak (there are even prime rib cuts) - they tend to be more tender than traditional beef steaks.

That said, second to bison I am very partial to fish and shellfish. Herring especially - I like it in both wine sauce and sour cream - though the fishy smell disturbs my friends and family. :P
"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." - Portal

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Lamb is probably my overall favorite meat, because it's so damn versatile. Chicken comes in a close second.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

MrHackman

Postby MrHackman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 am UTC

Don't you love it when your exact feelings can be expressed in a surreal flash video?

ALL HAIL PORK!
If four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is fourteen, what base is next? And more importantly, who is doing the calculation? :)

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I pretty much only eat chicken, even when there's good steak. I don't know why (you'd think I'd be tired of it) but I just like the taste ^^x
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:38 am UTC

i LOVE venison in stew but i dont have much use for the rest of the animal so i try to avoid it. luckily no one i know is a huge fan of venison so its not that hard.

i chose "chicken" b/c i'm a big fan of the light-meated birds, but my real answer is turkey. i could eat turkey in all manner of styles every day for the rest of my life and be a happy camper.

actually, be a mostly happy camper. i dont think turkey sushi/sashimi would do well. =(

*edit* hahah i had originally left it as "chick" which takes on an ENITELY NEW meaning. >_> <_<

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:41 am UTC

I love me some American bald eagle.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:12 am UTC

What is my favorite meat? I'll have to think about this....

Chicken anus? Hmm. Chicken, chicken. Chicken heart? Eh. Baby cuttlefish? No. Cobra? Tasty, but not quite my favorite. Duck's blood? Definitely not. Pig's blood? Still off. Pig vein? Still not it.

Oh, that's right, it's fucking steak.

Goddamn Chinese food.

For serious, though, I had the BEST friggin' steak in the world last night. SO. GOOD.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Picked Chicken and pork.
I also like fish.
Not much to say, otherwise.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Eps

Postby Eps » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I love lamb, although it's rarer in the US. Mutton's good too, but only in curries and stews because of its toughness. I also have a serious affinity for alligator, which is in ready supply in this part of the world. Fried gator tail, remoulade and french fries.. amazing. Only the choice meaty bits of the gator tail, mind, none of that stringy crap.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:54 am UTC

Apemeat wrote:I love me some American bald eagle.

I bet it tastes like freedom.

I love all kinds of meat, and am quite happy to try almost any animal (except those from classes Arachnida and Insecta) but I think beef is my favorite by far. Chicken is second, not because of the taste but because there's so much you can do with it (although it is quite tasty). Also, lamb, while not common in America is still available and very delicious. I also LOVE seafood, but living in the desert tends to drive up the price while lowering quality. I miss good seafood x.x
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

sherbertfox

Postby sherbertfox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Bacon & other pig wins for me, and chorizo, lamb, kangaroo, venison, turkey, and beefsteak are all delicious, crocodile is HORRIBLE, frog is yummy, and I narrowly missedout on reindeer, because my Norwegian friend ate it ll in Norway, and didn't bring any back. Fish, generally, I'm not too fond of.... fresh tuna is good though.....
Last night, I was a black man in Norway who couldn't get served in the supermarket because they were racist, but then the old man owner guy took me out shooting penguins with harpoons.

livelyness

Postby livelyness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

I think its important to remember that part of the reason that bison, moose, and caribou are getting so many hits might be because of the natural growth process. We've all had the difference between free range and caged chickens, probably, but most people haven't had preservative free, free range, home grown pork, beef, or lamb. For me I like pork the best, but that's because I've had the most home grown experience with it. Lamb can be amazing, but it's so easy to screw up, beef can rarely go too far wrong which makes it great, quail and pheasant are tasty, but to dry and stringy for me. Duck and rabbit are okay for the sweetness, but I've never been a big fan of the really fatty stuff. The only time I've tried ostrich was at a county fair, so I'm going to reserve passing judgment till latter on that. Fish is good, but really only when its fresh, the most finicky meat ever. I need to head down to the slaughter house to get some of these rarer meats. They sound quite tasty.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:08 am UTC

Pig and seafood. I'm Italian, if its cooked right ill love it, and in my home it better be cooked right.
i'm not so sure about the "and derivatives" no magic meat for me.
I also would vote for Cows, they are tasty, mmm baby cow.

On a side note, chickens are grose, mass produced animals. I knew a guy who worked in a chickan farm, the fans on the barn died ( thats right they heat synk chickens) and all of them died, all 14,000. Immagine how many of the animals just one school county uses an a day, thats maby 2000 lunches a day, now immagine in a week, a month, a year. Its crazy. Multiple that by the number of counties, HOLY CRAP! Next time you eat a chicken sandwitch, think of where that meat came from, a factory somewhere, feeding the animals growth hormones stock piled in LARGE farms, just wating for you to eat them. Think the chickens know what is coming for them? hmm life through the eyes of a chicken =D .
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Alligator tail is good. It tastes like spicy chicken.
Most game is good really. I think it has as much to do with the natural flavor and the leanness of the meat.
Ever had grass fed beef? It has a totally different taste as compared to corn/ bone meal fed beef.
Nutria is decent too, if you can get over what it is... :D
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:07 am UTC

Sushi FTW

Also, bunny is delicious. In regards to pig, the best has to be carnitas.
*waggles eyebrows*

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Sushi is excellent.
They developed a technique to stun the fish so it does not struggle during transport... supposedly makes the meat tastier.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

I love bison, and it's one of the few meats that I don't feel guilty for buying. :\ They haven't been selectively bred much like cattle have and it's still something of a high-end specialty, so feedlot-raised, grain-fed bison doesn't exist. And they're less destructive to the environment where they graze than cattle. And the meat runs a little cheaper than grass-fed beef. What's not to love? Venison, moose, and elk are awesome too, but harder to find. I used to be able to buy venison in the grocery store back in Texas. Hunters would sell their deer to small meatpackers, who would sell the meat to the stores. It was pretty cool. Smoked venison and pork sausage is delicious.

Oh yeah, and ostrich is delicious. You just have to treat it gently and spice it up a bit. Like bison, it has a really mild flavor and a complete lack of fat, so you shouldn't cook it more than medium or medium-well. My dad raised ostriches, so we usually had some ground ostrich or steak around. Good stuff.
You don't make them touch!

OneFish

Postby OneFish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Pork.

The cheapest shoulder cut, cooked slowly for 8-10 hours.

Tenderloins. Butterfy, pound thin, dry rub, olive oil, smoke in a low heat, slice very thin on a bias.
Our 'neoconservatives' are neither new nor conservative, but old as Bablyon and evil as Hell. -Edward Abbey-

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:27 am UTC

I had antelope when I was like 9, at a friend's-...actually, as it happens, I don't remember where I had it, but I was at a friend's house and he had to go somewhere and asked me to come with him. They had antelope and it was it tasted like really rich steak...but it tore my stomach up. Probably because it was so rich and I hadn't had steak in quite a while.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

stevekl

Postby stevekl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Pig, pig, pig, all kinds of pig. Bacon, pork, pork rinds. I was a vegetarian for a year, and pig was my undoing.

Oh me yarm. If you responded "pig" and you live in the Boston area, on Gargoyle's new menu there's an entree which features pig four ways. YUM. I just had it tonight.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:27 am UTC

The edit button is your friend. Compiled your posts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Duck. By a mile, especially confit.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:46 am UTC

OM NOM NOM, *chews on rabbit*
*waggles eyebrows*

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Perfectly Normal Beast Chicken.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:21 am UTC

Raptor.

MMM. Tastes good.

Also bacon, lamb, pork (in most of it's forms), beef (steak MMM), deer/reindeer, moose, rabbit, duck, lobster, fish...

I could go on.

I love meat. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

I love ostrich. It's hard to get now, though - the supermarkets used to sell it during the BSE scare, but they've stopped.

Alligator I found to be chewy and tasteless.

And rabbit casserole...yum.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

Ostrich is a very tender meat, best used in hamburgers.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

bbishop

Postby bbishop » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I've never tried ostrich, though I'd like to now. I like most cow products (tongue is good slapped between two slices of bread with mayonnaise).

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I probably should have voted for fish but for some reason it didn't click as my favorite animal to eat. Apparently in my brain fish are not alive at any point. Aside from that, Where's turkey on this list? Ground turkey is one of my favorite things ever.
A Trusted Friend in Science.

peter

Postby peter » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

Hmm. I like most kinds of meats. But with fish, it has be good quality, or else it's kind of disgusting.

I had ostrich one time! It was at this restaurant that just served weird animals, like rabbits and other stuff. It wasn't bad.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Chicken, with spices!
Elk, with mushroom sauce. There has to be mushroom sauce,
Whale, if prepared properly
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

eds01

Postby eds01 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Duck.

I haven't really had all that much meat in the past number of years. I gave up red meat a while ago, and at this point, I'll eat anything if I know it had a good life and a humane death, which kind of restricts me, particularly living in a dorm. I don't eat meat just because it's kosher, free-range or organic, simply because there are ways of following the letter of the law but breaking the spirit of them - If it's either hunted (a bullet to the head is better than a wolf tearing you to shreds), or from a farm I know humanly treats their animals, I'll eat it. In the past year, I've had meat exactly twice.

Fish I have on a much more regular basis, because if you live in the wild your fair game. Freedom is important, and if you take that away (i.e. farming), then you better provide a lot of utility that the animal didn't have before.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

You're missing sheep from your poll. Mmm delicious lamb.

Beef, lamb, duck
...pork is good too
ImageImageImageImageImage

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Poultry and fish...

So many recipes I want to try and never get the opportchancity...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Lamb chops are probably one of the tastier things on the face of the planet. Not much food in one though, so it gets expensive pretty fast. Lamb in genral is the prime of meats
philsov wrote:Internets is a gift to Jos.

littlebuddy wrote:hmm... I wonder if I should call rule 34 on that hammer moderator, she probably has nice legs.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

If Klondike's and Ruby Tuesdays don't lie on their menus, then caribou and bison are pretty damn good. Never had a proper caribou steak or roast, but had it sliced on pizza, and that was tasty. Cast my vote in for duck and venison too (peking duck is one of man's greatest inventions, better even than the light bulb and indoor plumbing). Turkey is ok, and chicken is decent, but nothing to really get too excited about. Beef is where it's at though for stuff I can usually get at Wegmens (which usually is either beef, poultry or pork). A good tri-tip is fan-fricken-tastic, and they just started carrying them in this part of the US. I'm happy but may end up poor because of it (the price has skyrocketed since I lived on the West Coast). Not a fan of lamb, but not really because of the taste, it gives me horrible headaches for some reason.

In terms of seafood I love real crab. Eaten right out of the leg. Shrimp and non-predatory fish are awesome too. Shark has a weird texture that I don't care for. Mussels pried right from the rock and cooked the same day with a little lemon juice are also something I miss from my west coast days.

dubsola wrote:chorizo (heaven on earth - both Spanish and Italian / Sicilian)
What is this? I love chorizo, but never knew there was Italian chorizo too. How is it different that Spanish chorizo? Is it just the pork v. beef?

Ann_on_a_mouse

Postby Ann_on_a_mouse » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:55 am UTC

This is a tough choice. I think buffalo wins overall, but bacon edges out all other meat products. Beef comes in a close third if served properly. (bloodier than a cheesy 70's horror flick)

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Sea kittens. See this thread for recipes.

For non-sea animals, I'm rather fond of both duck and lamb.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Sushi, then venison.

Apemeat wrote:I love me some American bald eagle.

LOL WUT

Oh, NOW I get the thing that initiates the word filter, LOL
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Return to “Food”