Crispy (carbonised)
1%
Cow-less (vegitarian)
7%

Total votes: 318

rrwoods

Re: The steak poll

Postby rrwoods » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm dumb. For some reason the "sliced" part told me that was the difference. Not sure what I was thinking.

I was also wrong; the prime rib I am used to is indeed slow-roasted. I'll have to try the ribeye next time I have a steak.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Yeah, I'm dumb. For some reason the "sliced" part told me that was the difference. Not sure what I was thinking.

I was also wrong; the prime rib I am used to is indeed slow-roasted. I'll have to try the ribeye next time I have a steak.

It's quite good - like I said, my favorite cut.

Of course, steak quality does vary by more than just cut and doneness - the steak of the mcdonalds steak/egg/cheese bagel is, I believe, technically a ribeye, but it's very small and a greasy mess - good as a breakfast sandwich, not so much as a steak.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Medium-rare ribeye from an aberdeen-angus if the food of the gods.

Med-rare's the point where a good steak is a great steak and, if done right, a crap steak can become a good steak.

(Oh and a small amount of peppercorn sauce accentuates more or less any steak :) )
I've pitied you and plied your sails with air;
Gave blessing when you rose upon my breath.
And after all of this I am amazed,
That I am cursed far more than I am praised.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:10 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:...long post.

Wow, you're kind of an internet blowhard with poorly fabricated pretentions of badassery.

fix'd
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:It's quite good - like I said, my favorite cut.

Had a rib-eye last night. It was definitely very good, but I think I prefer the prime rib. If you're not counting that as a steak, then I guess I'll have to retract my first post in this thread and cave in to fillets.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Aramis

Postby Aramis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Rare rump.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 am UTC

NY Strip, medium-rare, with an amber ale and a loaded baked potato (butter, sour cream, bacon and cheese) on the side. Also, no so-called "steak sauce" will defile my meal.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 am UTC

GonzoMcFonzo wrote:loaded baked potato (butter, sour cream, bacon and cheese)
GOOD DEITY MAN do you have a slow but tasty death wish?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Moo wrote:

I'm right there with him.
31/M/taken/US

Otis

Postby Otis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

I'll take a good welldone t-bone smothered in ketchup. Oh yeah baby.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

*shudders*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Nice fakepost.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Moo wrote:

I'm right there with him.

Mmm, death wish.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Moo wrote:

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Everybody's gotta go sometime, and at least this way I'll be happy when I do.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:37 am UTC

GonzoMcFonzo wrote:NY Strip, medium-rare, with a Jack and Coke and a baked potato (butter, sour cream) on the side. Also, no so-called "steak sauce" will defile my meal.

Fix'd :D

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Col. Mustard wrote:
GonzoMcFonzo wrote:NY Strip, medium-rare, with a Jack and Coke and a baked potato (butter, sour cream) on the side. Also, no so-called "steak sauce" will defile my meal.

Fix'd :D

Why would I defile this beautifial meal with what ThorFluff so accurately described as "an utter waste of bad wiskey"? More seriously, I wouldn't pair a cocktail that sweet with a steak for the same reason I wouldn't drink white wine with it (or, as I said, defile it with steak sauce).

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

New York strip medium-rare and free of all sauces. I would go rarer, but I do not want it completely cold by the time I finish eating. I like to pair my steak with any type of amber ale.

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Fri May 30, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:I have been able to turn some really cheap beef into really good meals by pretty much ignoring what everyone always says about cooking steaks, though. :)

Yeah, I just don't season it, and Grill. Simplest thing you can['t?] do, yet Delicious for almost any cut of meat.
I like how no one has picked Carbonized yet.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri May 30, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

<3
Hubby took me to Cafe Gaucho in London last weekend. The most devINE steak. It was awesome. The meat was flavourful, mature, tender, well cooked. The service was excellent and the decor interesting and funky. He had a rump "spiral cut" (?) marinated in chilli, lemon and garlic for 48 hrs, medium rare; I had 300g of the most delicious fillet I've ever had medium rare (a bit pink for me right at the centre but we were sharing and I wouldn't do medium to him). Hmmmmmm.
<3

Felt like sharing that. Thanks for your time.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Fri May 30, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

Medium rare, the tastiest, yet not grossest(raw), way to eat cow.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Sat May 31, 2008 10:27 am UTC

medium rare, and the best cut ive ever had was lomo in argentina, i have no idea what that corresponds to here but it was amazing, everywhere you went. They do amazing grilling in argentina, the steak is incredible, and every kind of it you can think of. Coincidently, they also have some pretty damn good red wine.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

My favorite kinds of steak are porterhouse and T-bone. both ribeye and fillet in one juicy steak. best served with soy sauce and rice.

a close second is a flank steak, marinated in teriyaki sauce for hours before broiling. :D :D
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

SherryCQ

Postby SherryCQ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Medium-rare. I like it cooked enough to get the meaty taste, but raw enough to keep the texture and juiciness.

And as I've refreshed my memory from my sister, I'm the only one who doesn't prefer their steak well-done in my family.

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:17 am UTC

On the grill long enough to kill any potential harmful bacteria on the outside is how I like it.

yeyui

Postby yeyui » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Um, what happened to medium and medium-well?

I used to joke with a friend of mine that likes his steak to be cooked like seared tuna (5-10 second sear on a really hot grill/griddle and still completely raw in the middle) whereas I liked mine more like medium well with a nice char on the outside (at the time -- I prefer medium now, since it is so hard to cook a good medium well steak). I'd point out that he prefers to eat like an animal, while I prefer to eat like a god. The funny thing (to us anyway) is that we both took that as a complement.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

yeyui wrote:Um, what happened to medium and medium-well?

No true meat lover would order a steak medium-well. It ruins the taste and texture.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I hadn't looked at the poll choices in a while. Maybe because medium and medium-well are for the indecisive. If you're going to ruin your meat, just order it well-done and be done with it ;)

Asad
Last edited by asad137 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Oo! Do I get to be the one to point out the logic fallacy? I do? Huzzah!

Editing the poll at this point would be.. bad for the poll, sadly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I used to order medium rare, but it was still too cooked for me, so now I order rare.

True story.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:08 am UTC

OH MY GOD STEAK!
RARE STEAK!
*salivates*
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:59 am UTC

I've mostly been raised on fillet but I adore a good porter house. Dry aged beef is the best thing in the world. As for the cooking, I like a good medium rare. I'll take a rare of a very good cut though.

Anyone here like beef carpaccio?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 am UTC

Hell, ya! And gimme some beef tataki any day :)

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

To cook steak well done defeats the purpose of steak. Steak is the closest you can come to biting into a live animal in polite society. I mean aside from the fact that it's delicious.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:59 am UTC

So I just had a flat-iron steak for the first time yesterday. Quite tasty and tender. I also love the fact that it came out of university research on how to make a better steak. I don't know if I'd order it over a ribeye, but it tastes better than a fillet mignon/tenderloin steak. It does look a little funny being an almost perfectly rectangular piece of meat.

Asad

blakat1313

Postby blakat1313 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:06 am UTC

I take mine half way between rare and raw.

As for cuts, I like ribeye. (anybody notice that there are as many vegetarians as people who like their steak blue?)

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Well, since this has been dug back up.

I like my steaks medium. Not red, put pink. Juicy with a firm texture. When we start getting into rare the texture starts getting all...springy? I don't think that's the right word, but I don't like the texture. And Medium-well to well done is just too dry. I usually just eat it with salt and a little pepper.

Lately though, I've been eating lamb a lot more that steaks. I go through phases like that.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

Lamb is not a phase. It is a truth.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I want to make a lamb thread now. I'll make one in a little while unless someone beats me to it.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:59 am UTC

asad137 wrote:So I just had a flat-iron steak for the first time yesterday. Quite tasty and tender. I also love the fact that it came out of university research on how to make a better steak.

I want to participate in this study. I really do. Especially because my favorite steak place closed down last week and I am in a deep existential funk over it.

I like my steak rare but warm on the inside. I am willing to forego the latter requirement, though, for the sake of the former, since the primary responsibility of my steak should be to moo its plea for mercy as I dig in. I like either filet mignon or sirloin, with little preference between the two as long as it's cooked properly. I will never have it with sauce if I can avoid it, since it detracts for me from the flavor itself. I like it with some variant on potatoes (particularly roasted), and since I don't drink I'm happy with a Coke or some water to wash it down.

Apparently I have a freakish ability to gauge any steak and detail the cooking time required to make it perfectly rare. This makes me inexplicably popular, but also expedites home-cooking so that more steak can be had by all.

I really wish I weren't a poor college student right now. Thanks, guys, for reminding me of all the wonders that I can't have.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

asad137

Postby asad137 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:
asad137 wrote:So I just had a flat-iron steak for the first time yesterday. Quite tasty and tender. I also love the fact that it came out of university research on how to make a better steak.

I want to participate in this study. I really do. Especially because my favorite steak place closed down last week and I am in a deep existential funk over it.

I like my steak rare but warm on the inside. I am willing to forego the latter requirement, though, for the sake of the former, since the primary responsibility of my steak should be to moo its plea for mercy as I dig in. I like either filet mignon or sirloin, with little preference between the two as long as it's cooked properly. I will never have it with sauce if I can avoid it, since it detracts for me from the flavor itself. I like it with some variant on potatoes (particularly roasted), and since I don't drink I'm happy with a Coke or some water to wash it down.

Apparently I have a freakish ability to gauge any steak and detail the cooking time required to make it perfectly rare. This makes me inexplicably popular, but also expedites home-cooking so that more steak can be had by all.

I really wish I weren't a poor college student right now. Thanks, guys, for reminding me of all the wonders that I can't have.

<swoon>

Will you marry me?

Asad

keybored

Postby keybored » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

if it bleeds it leads!

[rant]rare, although (sadly) it's becoming increasingly hard to find places that will actually give me a rare steak. in the litigious society we live in businesses are (justifiably) so hyper-conscious of their liability. personally, i think if i ask for my food (food i'm PAYING to eat) to be prepared in a manner that is potentially hazardous to me, i should be prepared for whatever consequences i might face. but then again, i wouldn't sue mcdonald's because my coffee was too hot either.[/rant]
LE4dGOLEM wrote:THERE IS NOT A SUFFICIENT CUSSWORD TO SHOW HOW LITTLE I APPRECIATE YOU.
Klapaucius wrote:Unfortunately it was deleted around the time I began, with somewhat shaky logic, to advise him not to rape animals.

Return to “Food”