Holiday Food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Holiday Food

Postby parkaboy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Everyone knows holidays are really about special food. Thanksgiving, Xmas and even easter are times to bust out those recipes you dont use all year long and create feasts. Even summer holidays like the 4th of July (for Americans...) have linked food traditions (usually a BBQ or hotdog cookout or something).

What are your holiday usuals? Or, even better, what are some UNusual holiday meals you've had, planned or prepared?

my family always has the standard too much meat - a roast my aunt made, a ham my grandmother brought and a turkey setup my stepmom put together. My aunt also makes these chocolate covered coconut things that are SOOO GOOD! i always mean to get the recipe from her but never remember to =(

This year for t-day and xmas, i'm not anywhere near my family so we cooked for just us two. T-day was baked cornish hens stuffed with apples, pecans and cherries. Xmas dinner looks like grilled buffalo steak, baked sweet potatoes and bacon-wrapped greenbean bundles. nom ^_^

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

PrecariousAssumption

Re: Holiday Food

Postby PrecariousAssumption » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:16 am UTC

On New Years Eve my father makes a cheese dip, he refuses to make it any other time of the year and sometimes denies the existence of such a chip dip, it's probably the best dip ever made, I eat it on everything.
This shit, it is banana's

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

I'm currently helping out with tamales -- making them is an event to which most women in the family are invited (it's a huge gossip circle, but with masa).
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:02 am UTC

Anyone that's not Polish would find my traditional Christmas Eve supper pretty weird... We even have a name for it: Wigilia (pronounced: /vi.ˈɡi.ʎa/ or vuh-LEE-uh). It's a 'meatless' dinner or a black fast. We have smelts and fish, pirogies, opłatek (a thin wafer.. You take a piece and then go around to every family member, offering a piece of it to them and giving them good wishes and a kiss on the cheek, and they do the same to you in return), cream of mushroom soup, gołąbki, noodles and prunes, and dumplings.

This year since I'm with my Boy's family (who are also Polish, but are Italian too) some of the traditional items were substituted with Italian food, like pasta with clam sauce and ravioli.

On Christmas it's pretty much standard fare - Ham, turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, buns, etc. Very similar to Turkey Day.

For New Years we make Rumaki. Mmmm... Rumaki.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Sweet potatoes blended with cream cheese and a little brown sugar, topped with a thin layer of chopped apples and cranberries, and then an oats and brown sugar crust on top. Bake.

Pure awesome.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Hubby's family have homemade pirogies at new years and homemade eggs Benedict Christmas morning. Our family usually had a small appy smorg christmas eve. You know, crackers, cheese, pickles etc. We picked up that tradition but would add other things here and there like smoked mussles, fancy cheese etc. I really love the homemade pirogies tradition however, and I've managed to make a batch of decent ones myself.

Our grandma always had a turkey, and a ham (just in case) for the large family dinner. And hubby's family makes a couple different kinds of very yummy cabbage rolls: the traditional one, and a veggie one.

I like doing the traditional turkey for a large gathering, but if it's just us, then we'll usually make something different, but good. Like steak and seafood, or pizza with goat cheese or something. :)
- Sunkist -

What I Dreamt

Postby What I Dreamt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:28 am UTC

oh my.
every Christmas eve, my dad makes appetizers.
no matter what.
we have a plate of nachos so big I think it should be illegal [it might be in some states.]
chicken tenders, home made onion rings, twice baked potatoes, and everything tasty.

also, the day after thanksgiving we make Hot Browns, a delicious combination of bread, gravy, cheese, more gravy, bacon, more cheese, turkey, and more gravy :]]

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

oi, you, post in the intro thread please ^_^

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:48 am UTC

Since my family have summer Christmas, my mom either makes lots of food the day before like gammon and turkey for a cold-cuts-and-salad-feast-fit-for-a-king, or we would take the 4x4 and the kettle barbeque (Weber) out to mountains or a beach or some such and Dad will do the <meat-joint-of-joice> on Christmas day in the Weber. Hmmmmmmm.

Now that I'm married Hubby and I spend Boxing Day with his family but we don't really do much on Christmas day. I'm not a big Christmassy person. We had the most wonderful fillet steak and cream potatoes (dauphinoise if you want to be fancy) and oven-roast veg this year. It's really hard to find good meat in England (for me at least) so this was a real treat. I see a tradition in the making.

My family always do an outdoors champagne breakfast on New Year's morning with sparkling wine and orange juice and the following cooked on either the barbecue or gas camping stove out in the garden: scrambled eggs; tomato and sausage stew; toast; bacon; creamy piri-piri chicken liver stew. This may be my favourite tradition. Mmmmm. Now I wish I was home for New Year :(
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “Food”