Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

norsk_heks

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby norsk_heks » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:20 am UTC

tunastopit wrote:Every year I get all excited about autumn because of the seasonal beers that come back (mainly Shipyard Pumpkinhead ale and Sam Adams Octoberfest), but I was diagnosed with celiac disease/dermatitis herpetiformis in the summer and had to cut out all gluten from my diet which means I could no longer enjoy my fall beers (or even lick a postage stamp) without painful consequences.

I'm still upset.

A little late here, but I'm also Celiac, and I've recently discovered a gluten-free beer called Redbridge, made by Annheuser-Busch. Now, I've been Celiac since I first started eating solid foods, so I couldn't tell you if it's any good, but it may be worth a shot if you're missing beer. I mean, I kind of liked it, but it's the only beer I've ever had. (The first taste was gross, the second was better -- is that normal for your first taste of beer?) No special flavor or anything, but... it's gluten-free beer anyway.

Anyone know how it compares to gluten beers?
在宴会开始前,我想进几句话。那就是:笨蛋!哭鼻子!残渣!拧!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

I stay away from busch as kindof a point of principle, but there's another gluten-free that has shown up on a few shelves around here. I forget the name, but I'll pick up a bottle of it next time I'm there, and give it a shot. Let you know how it measures up.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

norsk_heks wrote:The first taste was gross, the second was better -- is that normal for your first taste of beer?

No idea, but I do find a lot of beers (especially bitters and variants on that theme like ESBs and winter warmers - it's a certain type of hop flavor, I think) taste better on the second or third mouthful.

Got myself a bottle of La Fin du Monde, a Belgian-style golden ale from the Quebec brewery Unibroue. Not much to say about it - I love this style and this is an excellent take on it.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Unibroue is just generally awesome. I had a cellared 2005 a couple weeks ago that was fantastic.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

Oh, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis. You make me not miss Harpoon UFO at all. <3
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:09 am UTC

I picked up Mill St.'s Seasonal Sampler 6-pack today.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I stay away from busch as kindof a point of principle, but there's another gluten-free that has shown up on a few shelves around here. I forget the name, but I'll pick up a bottle of it next time I'm there, and give it a shot. Let you know how it measures up.

Okay, so the beer is St Peters Sorghum Ale.

I didn't actually *buy* any last night, but I'll get back to you.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

norsk_heks

Postby norsk_heks » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:12 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Belial wrote:I stay away from busch as kindof a point of principle, but there's another gluten-free that has shown up on a few shelves around here. I forget the name, but I'll pick up a bottle of it next time I'm there, and give it a shot. Let you know how it measures up.

Okay, so the beer is St Peters Sorghum Ale.

I didn't actually *buy* any last night, but I'll get back to you.

Hmm, cool! Thanks! :) Haven't seen that around here, but you never know what's hiding where.
在宴会开始前,我想进几句话。那就是:笨蛋!哭鼻子!残渣!拧!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Okay, so the beer is St Peters Sorghum Ale.

Is that the same St Peters that makes this? Is it the same beer?

St Peters makes wonderful beer, in particular their Best Bitter.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Picked up some stocking stuffers today—Rogue bombers!
For the mother in-law: Mom Hefeweizen
For the father in-law: Chipotle Ale
For the sister: Santa's Private Reserve Ale
For myself: Hazelnut Brown Nectar (<---SO looking forward to it)

We also grabbed a six of Deschutes Jubelale, my current hope to replace the much-missed Smuttynose winter ale that I can't get on the West Coast; and a chocolate stout from Bison Brewing, never heard of it, but we're having bison on Xmas so it was a lighthearted pairing choice.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:38 am UTC

Chipotle is a trip and a half. Holy crap that stuff is ... chipotle. I started an evening of 32 Rogue taps with that -- and was still tasting it a dozen samples later.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Picked up some stocking stuffers today—Rogue bombers!
For the mother in-law: Mom Hefeweizen
For the father in-law: Chipotle Ale
For the sister: Santa's Private Reserve Ale
For myself: Hazelnut Brown Nectar (<---SO looking forward to it)

We also grabbed a six of Deschutes Jubelale, my current hope to replace the much-missed Smuttynose winter ale that I can't get on the West Coast; and a chocolate stout from Bison Brewing, never heard of it, but we're having bison on Xmas so it was a lighthearted pairing choice.

The Rogue Hazelnut is delightful. Jubelale is... well, it's a Deschutes seasonal so be ready for some porter notes. It's also very good though.

I had a Rogue Shakespeare Stout (which I believe is oatmeal based) float (scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass of typically root beer) at Taphouse recently - very good but it really needs to come after a meal with red meat. I ordered a Spaten Optimator afterwards to clear the roasted oats from my palate a bit... the people who I was there with (who are not really big on beer) kind of stared at it for a minute after it came out. Doesn't look like the kind of thing you could clear your palate with but it has a nice crisp top note I can't quite identify.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:26 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Jubelale is... well, it's a Deschutes seasonal so be ready for some porter notes.

Yeah. :( I was pretty disappointed. Deschutes' porter *is* one of my very favorite beers, but I didn't want a porter, I wanted a winter warmer. Well, actually it appears that my beloved Smuttynose Winter Ale is actually a Dubbel and so maybe I've been looking in the wrong place after all. Oh well. The Bison Brewery Chocolate Stout was actually very good, to my surprise.

But that's not why I'm here! Tonight I cracked open the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. They're not kidding with the "nectar" bit, either—this is a very smooth beer. I wouldn't have been able to distinguish that it was hazelnut, but you can really taste the nut; toward the finish it gets more of a "roasted" taste, that at first I identified as coffee, but isn't really. The aroma is brown sugar and malt, and makes me think of a fresh dark bread, something sweet with oats and nuts. A few times I caught a taste of dark chocolate. The only hint of hops is in a slight bitterness in the finish, not very noticeable. Really, really enjoyable; sweet, but not at all syrupy. Would be fantastic along with a sweet bread; challah with fruit in, or portuguese sweet muffins. As much as the smell reminds me of a denser, darker bread, I would pair a more sticky and/or eggy bread with the beer.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

I too had a weeekend of glorious beering:

Gulden Draak Vintage: Liquid Gold. Dark, aged Belgian style strong ale. Even better than regular Gulden Draak, which is saying something. Doesn't get a grade, because it wouldn't be fair to the rest.

Ommegang Adoration: See above, only brewed in upstate NY. A serious sleeper, this one has surprised just about everyone despite coming from a brewery where you expect great beer. Spiced belgian style dark ale done perfectly. A+

21 Amendment's Monk's Blood: I can't recommend this one highly enough for anyone who is typically wary or unsure of big, dark beers that come in large bottles -- it's vaguely belgian, dark strong winter ale, with great drinkability. A- overall.

Dogfish Burton Baton: Half oaked strong ale, half 90 minute IPA and one hell of a blend. Starts with the dark rosin similar to Palo Alto, but has the unmistakable hop bite of the 90 in the after taste. A, and I don't really like IPAs either.

Left Hand's Widdershins: FINALLY! An American barely wine that isn't over hopped. And it's from west of the Mississippi too! A for taste with an extra + for rarity and two more for geographical oddity. A+++

Left Hand's Fade to Black: Typical stout. Good six pack beer. B

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence: Chocolate stout for realz. Served as a 5 oz pour because it's a) strong and b) strongly chocolate. None of the fake chocolate flavors, nor the cloying sweetness (i.e. Southern Tier's) commonly seen. A

Troeg's Mad Elf: I gave this one a shot despite Troeg's dopplebock not being particularly good -- it's a well rounded winter warmer type. Typical strength ale, nicely spiced. B+

St. Peter's Cream Stout: One of the original craft brewers, still really good. Significantly thinner than most of it's stout-peers, with tastes of tea. Not my favorite, nor favorite variety of stout. A-

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:St. Peter's Cream Stout: One of the original craft brewers, still really good. Significantly thinner than most of it's stout-peers, with tastes of tea. Not my favorite, nor favorite variety of stout. A-

St Peters makes fantastic beer. Their organic best bitter is one of my favourite beers. I'm suprised and glad you have them in Boston, although without meaning to rub your face in it, it's better out of a tap. It's also pretty good when drunk in the Jerusalem Tavern, a tiny little pub in Farringdon. I recommend going there if possible.

Right, I've made a discovery. I quite like Kölsch beer. It's nice and hoppy, not as bitter as a pilsner which makes it taste similar to the light and hoppy/golden English ales that I really dig. It's like ale for lager drinkers. I think I might even prefer it to pilsners.

Spoiler:
Kolsch + Pils.jpg
Kolsch + Pils.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
I found a new beer shop this evening, and it's fantastic.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:... although without meaning to rub your face in it, it's better out of a tap.
Well yeah, it's beer. Thankfully though, everything on that list came from a tap.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Well I'll be damned, I didn't realise they exported kegs. Good for them.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Red Hook ESB: Not bad. I don't really know what to say about this, not having much experience with ESBs to compare it to. I like Red Hook's, though. This is their flagship brew.

I love the Red Hook ESB with a steak. This combination was really the first time I got food/drink pairings. Each bite of steak made me want a sip of beer and each sip of beer made me want a bite of steak.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Lagunitas The KronikCENSORED Rich Copper Ale: The name describes the color adequately, it's pretty much copper. Not much of a head. Last thing I had with a nose anything like this was Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, and this has some similar notes in the flavor as well but there's more of the malt->hop base you expect in an ale. Leaves a lingering... for lack of a better word coppery feel, kind of slightly sweet barley.

So there's a story behind the name of this beer. You've probably seen the 6-packs around if you're on or near the West Coast (I don't know how wide their distribution is) with a giant black bar across the side with CENSORED written across it, clearly stamped across another word. Lagunitas originally named this beer The Kronik, but the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, formerly part of ATF) denied their label submission under (I am told by the Internet) a 1994 regulation banning drug references on alcohol labels. Yes, there is an Indica IPA. Apparently it was either grandfathered in or the censors know more about drug slang than drug taxonomy. Therefore it is now The Censored, which kind of reminds me of Brew Dog publicity stunt of the 1.1% hop bomb Nanny State after some political party complained about their 18.2% stout Tokyo, except apparently Nanny State was crap.

This has been Story Time with Netcrusher™
Sexothermic

Faust06

Postby Faust06 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Harviestoun ola Dubh is probably the best dark ale I've had so far.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Lagunitas The KronikCENSORED Rich Copper Ale: The name describes the color adequately, it's pretty much copper. Not much of a head. Last thing I had with a nose anything like this was Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, and this has some similar notes in the flavor as well but there's more of the malt->hop base you expect in an ale. Leaves a lingering... for lack of a better word coppery feel, kind of slightly sweet barley.

I love Lagunitas. I recently had their Hop Soopid beer and loved it, and their Old Gnarleywine is my favorite beer.

Also, their distribution is pretty good. I live in Georgia and I can find their beers.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:41 am UTC

I am also in need of help figuring out which beers to drink. I'm slowly acclimating to the taste of it, and having now had some beers that aren't of the cheapnasty variety, I need help finding more I like. Here's what I've got so far:

Boddington's Pub Ale (can, drank from pint glass): This is my top pick so far. I like the rich kind of creamy texture it's got going on.
Ommegang: Also very good, don't remember much else about it.
Magic Hat: I don't remember what variety (I think there were a few), and I was also already drunk when I had it, but I did like whatever it was I had.
Blue Moon: Had it in a bar and they put an orange slice in it. Not bad at all like that. Pretty tasty in fact.
Yeungling: I've had it a few times and it's at least better than a lot of the other beers that can be typically found in any bar.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but it's a process. It took me a while to get into decent whiskey too (I started my whiskey adventures on Jameson, which still holds a place in my heart, but isn't what I'd really consider a "good" whiskey). A friend who was trying to teach me about beer is the one who introduced me to Boddington's and Ommegang. He also had me try some Arrogant Bastard. Wasn't a big fan of that. I think I'm not really a fan of overly hoppy beers. I've tried a couple of local brews (Cascazilla by Ithaca Beer Company) that also have a decent amount of hops and didn't like them. Any one got suggestions of beers I might like?
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:11 am UTC

I gather you're in upstate New York. You should be able to track down Unibroue fairly easily - they're a brewery in Montreal. Unibroue specializes in Belgian styles (much like Ommegang, actually) and you can't go wrong with them. You will almost definitely like La Fin Du Monde, a Belgian white, and you'll probably like their others (Maudite, Tres Pistoles, and maybe some others) too. They can be a bit pricey and usually come in 750s - caveat emptor. Likewise Ommegang, a brewery somewhere in NYS that also specializes in Belgian brews. You didn't specify which brew so I'm guessing Three Philosophers - again, you can't go wrong with the brewery. Usually come in 750s sealed like champagne, and again a bit pricey - at least out here in the Northwest.

Try and hunt down some Belgian imports too, if you like the general style. Lucifer is a downright incredible white, and Gulden Draak will give you a good sample of the Belgian strong dark style. The Delerium line also comes highly recommended, but I've yet to get around to trying it. Also, the Chimay line of Trappist (yes, [originally] brewed in a monastery) beers which you should look up first because they're color-coded according to age.

Magic Hat is reliably good, from what I can recall from when I was in New York. A variety of styles at a very reasonable price.

Hops are generally an acquired taste - odds are you'll acquire it eventually. If you want to kind of nurture that, start with some pale ales and try to track down an IPA you like (some are less hoppy, even though it's a style that's pretty much all about the hops) and then work your way up to stronger IPAs - if you can handle a double IPA you can probably handle the Bastard, and once you get to that point you'll probably think very highly of it. You might also try Double Bastard, especially if you see it somewhere on tap - it's basically aged double-strong Bastard, and the aging really takes the hop edge off and enhances the more subtle notes. No guarantees though, you might just not like hops.

If you find you like dark, heavy beers, try some Russian Imperial Stouts. I personally recommend Stone's RIS (not really hoppy at all, surprisingly), Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy (comes in a mostly black can, I don't know if they distribute to NYS), and Victory Storm King, though the latter is a bit hoppy and the malt is kind of harsh. You know it's good if it looks like used motor oil and you can't see the sun through it.

At some point I may stop going on about RIS. Not likely.
Sexothermic

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Based on the two beers I've had - Boddingtons and Blue Moon - it seems like you like the milder flavoured bitters, and milder flavoured Belgian whites. Oh look, I've been ninja-d. Well, I can agree with netcrusher's Belgian recommendations - some of them are quite strong in taste, but a lot also have some other flavours going on - fruits and whatnot.

I'm not getting a strong dark / stouty vibe from your post (although certainly try them out), I think maybe you might prefer the milder bitters of the UK. Maybe copper ales in particular. Unfortunately I don't know what's available in the US, but pretending that everything was, I'd suggest checking out the brewers Timothy Taylor, Ringwood, Badger, Palmers.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

At home I'm in Ringwood land; Ringwood's Best bitter is nice.

I had a look at the Co-op's own brand ales, they look cheap and cheerful, plus they're fair trade. Anyone tried them?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:I know it's not a lot to go on, but it's a process ... A friend who was trying to teach me about beer is the one who introduced me to Boddington's and Ommegang. He also had me try some Arrogant Bastard. Wasn't a big fan of that. I think I'm not really a fan of overly hoppy beers. I've tried a couple of local brews (Cascazilla by Ithaca Beer Company) that also have a decent amount of hops and didn't like them. Any one got suggestions of beers I might like?

If you don't like hops, stay away from IPA's (obviously), pale ales in general, anything with an indicator of time in the title (60-min etc) and pretty much anything that's a variation of an ale and brewed on the West Coast. Aim for brown ales, Belgians, saisons, wheat beers, virtually anything Germanic in style and virtually all things dark. Unibroue and Ommegang have already been mentioned. Rogue and Stone are a tier more affordable, but are West Coast breweries, so be cautious.

As for readily available "6-pack" beer, hit up Saranac & Brooklyn. They are both high quality mid-sized regional breweries. If you find a store with a larger beer selection, try Anderson Valley Brewery (CA) or Victory (PA). Find all the mix 12 packs you can, it gives you the necessary variety to figure out what you really like.

When you're feeling spendy and adventurous, head towards Dogfish Head.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

If you can find Smuttynose around you, which seems a fair bet given it's a New Hampshire brewery, I recommend their Old Brown Dog and Winter Ale. The former is a good introduction to the brown ale style, in my opinion, and although it's a bit hoppy, it was always one of my favorites even before I developed a taste for hops. The latter isn't really hoppy at all. I'd also highly recommend their Pumpkin Ale, which is fantastic (unlike most pumpkin ales, in my opinion). It's a fall seasonal.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

I'd actually removed Smuttynose 'cause I wasn't sure how far they distributed. Their Robust Porter is quite good.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

I also very much enjoy the pictures on the labels.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:24 am UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:I gather you're in upstate New York. You should be able to track down Unibroue fairly easily - they're a brewery in Montreal. Unibroue specializes in Belgian styles (much like Ommegang, actually) and you can't go wrong with them. You will almost definitely like La Fin Du Monde, a Belgian white, and you'll probably like their others (Maudite, Tres Pistoles, and maybe some others) too. They can be a bit pricey and usually come in 750s - caveat emptor. Likewise Ommegang, a brewery somewhere in NYS that also specializes in Belgian brews. You didn't specify which brew so I'm guessing Three Philosophers - again, you can't go wrong with the brewery. Usually come in 750s sealed like champagne, and again a bit pricey - at least out here in the Northwest.

You could say that. Ithaca, NY to be specific. Not gonna get into regional variations in the definition of what constitutes "upstate" though.

I have had Three Philosophers and liked it when I tried it (and only remembered that at your mention of it). It wasn't the same as the other Ommegang one I tried. Trying to google it, I think the one I mentioned was their Abbey Ale.

Also, grabbing a pen and paper to write down all these recommendations. The Wegmans store here has a large beer section (including a walk-in cooler you can go into), so I might have to search there for a bit.

On the hops-- It most likely is an acquired taste. Who knows if I'll like it later or not. I never thought I'd actually like beer, but I have found a few that are good so far. I had Yeungling a couple times many years ago and while I could acknowledge the difference in quality between it and dishwater beers (like Budweiser), I still didn't like it. But now it's not that bad. I think maybe my tastes are just maturing more and more as I get older.

Azrael wrote:If you don't like hops, stay away from IPA's (obviously), pale ales in general, anything with an indicator of time in the title (60-min etc) and pretty much anything that's a variation of an ale and brewed on the West Coast. Aim for brown ales, Belgians, saisons, wheat beers, virtually anything Germanic in style and virtually all things dark. Unibroue and Ommegang have already been mentioned. Rogue and Stone are a tier more affordable, but are West Coast breweries, so be cautious.

As for readily available "6-pack" beer, hit up Saranac & Brooklyn. They are both high quality mid-sized regional breweries. If you find a store with a larger beer selection, try Anderson Valley Brewery (CA) or Victory (PA). Find all the mix 12 packs you can, it gives you the necessary variety to figure out what you really like.

When you're feeling spendy and adventurous, head towards Dogfish Head.

I know we have Saranac around here. And I've heard good things from that same friend about Dogfish Head. Funny short story: my dad was visiting Athens, Ohio a while ago and they had no idea what Yeungling was when he asked for one. They thought it was some foreign beer (even though it's brewed in PA, one state over). Oddly enough, they had Saranac which is much more regional.

I'll try some of these and report my findings. Thanks all. And if you have any more recommendations, I'll add them to my list.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Don't worry about hops. It could be an acquired taste, but it certainly doesn't have to be. I drink a lot of beer, and search out for interesting things, but I still don't like hoppy beers. Typical IPA's and I will never be friends -- although Saranac makes a Rye IPA that is pretty ok, and I have a ... something weird that I don't feel like walking to my basement beer fridge to verify ... black IPA that is pretty nice.

If you want to play with the boundaries of beer, and have a store that sells bombers (22oz capped) and 750's then you might be able to find a single of Dogfish Palo Santo Marron -- it'll be like $5 for a 12 oz bottle, but it's as dark, rich and intriguing malt beverage (no hops = can't call it beer in the US) that you'll find.
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Oh, also, I'd like to try Tactical Nuclear Penguin even if I hate it just for some Hardcore Points. Buying a bottle (if I were over in Scotland) would definitely be a group effort though.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 am UTC

Tell you what, instead just find a high quality bourbon barrel aged imperial stout or dark ale (Allagash Odyssey, Brooklyn Black Ops, Bourbon County Stout, Yeti Oak Aged) and then just dump a shot of bourbon into it. You'll get the alcohol content and points but without the import or cost complications.

ALSO: I have mentioned Pretty Things, Allagash and Yeti? Seriously. Pretty Things is currently my favorite brewery, their Babayaga Stout is my favorite of the season -- and I've spent the entire season drinking and brewing virtually nothing but stouts. All of you in the north east should run out right fucking now and find some.

iddqd

Postby iddqd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:Oh, also, I'd like to try Tactical Nuclear Penguin even if I hate it just for some Hardcore Points. Buying a bottle (if I were over in Scotland) would definitely be a group effort though.

Actually, a store in my town will get one case of this on Monday. It's $75 and I'm broke so I won't buy it. This is one of the things that make me glad I'm a homebrewer: I can clone other people's beers and get them a lot cheaper than they would be.

Speaking of homebrewing, anyone else does it? I'm on my third batch right now, a pale ale with some orange zest and coriander thrown into the boil. We'll see how it turns out. My last batch was (is) great, a huge porter with whiskey and vanilla beans.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

I think you'll have trouble duplicating a 32% ABV brew that's stored at below-freezing temperatures, with just a home brewing setup. I got a home brewing kit as a gift this past holiday season but haven't had the time to get into it yet.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

32% ABV?! This raises the philosophical issue..when is beer not beer anymore? Normal beer is not distilled is it? Can you get alcohol contents that high without distilling?

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

voidPtr wrote:32% ABV?! This raises the philosophical issue..when is beer not beer anymore? Normal beer is not distilled is it? Can you get alcohol contents that high without distilling?

Edit: I think I may have been wrong.
Last edited by KallistiEngel on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

voidPtr wrote:32% ABV?! This raises the philosophical issue..when is beer not beer anymore? Normal beer is not distilled is it? Can you get alcohol contents that high without distilling?

No, Tactical Nuclear Penguin is freeze-distilled. Twice, I think. So: barrel aged, freeze-distilled to 32%. Is it still beer? Who cares, I hear it's amazing. I for one welcome our new whiskeybeer overlords.

OT: I did have a whiskey made with a grain mixture originally made for beer once, Rogue's Dead Guy Whiskey. It was quite good, if you're into the whole sour mash (think bourbon finish) thing.
Sexothermic

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

Here's Australia's criteria, because those were easily googleable:

* is the product of the yeast fermentation of an aqueous extract of predominantly malted or unmalted cereals, but may also contain other sources of carbohydrates
* contains hops, or extracts of hops, so that the beverage has no less than four International Bitterness Units or other bitters. If it contains other bitters, the beverage must have a bitterness comparable to that of a beverage with no less than four International Bitterness Units
* may have spirit distilled from beer added to it if that spirit adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
* may have other substances, including flavours, containing alcohol (other than beer spirit) added to it but only if that alcohol adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
* contains no more than 4% by weight of monosaccharide and disaccharide (sugars)
* does not contain any artificial sweeteners, and
* has an alcohol content more than 1.15% by volume.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:

Here's Australia's criteria, because those were easily googleable:

* is the product of the yeast fermentation of an aqueous extract of predominantly malted or unmalted cereals, but may also contain other sources of carbohydrates
* contains hops, or extracts of hops, so that the beverage has no less than four International Bitterness Units or other bitters. If it contains other bitters, the beverage must have a bitterness comparable to that of a beverage with no less than four International Bitterness Units
* may have spirit distilled from beer added to it if that spirit adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
* may have other substances, including flavours, containing alcohol (other than beer spirit) added to it but only if that alcohol adds no more than 0.5% to the final total volume of alcohol
* contains no more than 4% by weight of monosaccharide and disaccharide (sugars)
* does not contain any artificial sweeteners, and
* has an alcohol content more than 1.15% by volume.

I like the German definition better. Beer can have the following four ingredients.
Malted barely or wheat
Waters
Hops
Yeast (recent addition, since the discovery of yeast)
I know it's no longer legally binding, but you have to admire a country so persnickety about their beer.

As to the Nuclear Penguin, if it were a real beer, as opposed to a novelty it might have more implications, It's pretty much a publicity ploy, combined with a snub at the new alchohol laws. At least the previous record holder, Sam Adams Utopias was just a hard-core fermentation.

Return to “Food”