Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amarantha

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:11 am UTC

FSM bless Cookie. If yer in Melbourne, and you love beer, you need to go there. It's annoyingly trendy, and stupidly expensive, but the food is bloody good, and the beer selection is stunning (the spirits selection is also rather excellent). They have stuff there that you can't get anywhere else. Hell, I've found stuff there that I thought had gone out of production, including rare Emersons brews and, as of today, Grand Ridge Supershine. Last time we went, we shared an awesome longneck from Willie Simpson's Seven Sheds brewery, called Elephant's Trunk. Pretty sure you can't get that in shops; we've ordered a case directly from the brewery, as well as one of Willie's Warmer.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am UTC

Ulc wrote:Anyway, bought myself a couple of BrewDog - an scottich brewery that has won quite a few awards over the last few years, and has been on my list for a while

I quite like this beer as well, but now that I know it's from Scotland and not America as I originally thought, I call bullshit on the price. That shit is damn expensive! I think it cost about £3 for a 375ml bottle - a little over half a pint - in London, from a bottle shop. So, not a bar, not cold, and not shipped overseas.

Amarantha wrote:FSM bless Cookie. If yer in Melbourne, and you love beer, you need to go there.

That's funny, I was just in Melbourne and went to Cookie. Delightful place. They have some pretty good beer!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:That shit is damn expensive! I think it cost about £3 for a 375ml bottle - a little over half a pint - in London, from a bottle shop. So, not a bar, not cold, and not shipped overseas.

I seem to recall it being something like £1.70-2.15 around here. Methinks you got ripped, but not by Brew Dog.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

Possibly, but you are closer to the source, no?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Well, yeah, but I would have thought they'd offer the same catalogue prices to everyone in the UK, and only shipping would be different. If not, you're just dying for a Scottish wholesaler to undercut you. Perhaps I'm wrong though, I have no idea.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

I generally enjoy citrusy beer, but both Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and Sam Adam's Summer Ale both taste like Lemon pledge to me. Been sticking with the Sunset Wheat and Shock Top.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

Summer Shandy is piss water. That simple. Far and away the worst beer I've ever tasted.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Hey, speaking of piss water...
Telchar wrote:Shock Top
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 am UTC

Meh, I like wheat beers almost exclusively and generally use oranges/lemons where available. Shock Top has a subtle corriander/lemon flavor that isn't overpowering, and is a national brand I would know everyone would recognize. We have a lot of local breweries here in Billings whose beer is a lot better (Montana Brewing Company White Tale Wheat and Yellowstone Brewing Company Huckleweizen are favorites).
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 am UTC

By "use oranges/lemons" you mean, add a slice/wedge to your drink, or something else?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Well, yeah, but I would have thought they'd offer the same catalogue prices to everyone in the UK, and only shipping would be different. If not, you're just dying for a Scottish wholesaler to undercut you. Perhaps I'm wrong though, I have no idea.

I'm going to go have another look when I get a chance. It's not particularly common down here, that's fo' sho'.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

Just picked up a Brew Dog from Tesco for £1.39. So there.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Nope, just wedges. I don't know why I said lemons as I don't ever remember using them.

I just remembered this beer I had in Denver at an irish pub called Casey's....Paulaner. No bitterness at all but a little too sweet for me. If you don't like bitter beer, this would be a godsend.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

I quite like Paulaner. It's from Munich, I had the fortune of grabbing a few cans at random once and discovering that it was pretty tasty.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 am UTC

Anyone in Ontario should go to the LCBO and grab some Schneider Hopfen Weisse. It's a wheat beer with extra hops - not extremely bitter though (40 ibu). I love the way the hops balances out the wheat beer's tartness. I'll be looking for more hoppy wheat beers in the future.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

i dare you to take me on...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Bitches Brew, the new beer, is described as a "dark combination of stouts and honey beer intended as the ultimate partner for chili or spicy curry chicken." Because, as we all know, chili and spicy curry chicken were the only things that Miles ate while recording Bitches Brew.

OH, LORD.

I will be in Boston in December.

Someone buy me a bottle in August, just in case they run out.

And everybody remember to kiss a brewer that week!

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Personally, I think that Bitches Brew is best enjoyed naked while waking up in a flop-house in the roughest section of L.A. next to a pile of horse shit and a sleeping prostitute. But that's just me.

I didn't know I was such a big Miles Davis fan...

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am UTC

So cool! Can't wait to try that beer.

tw1111

Postby tw1111 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

Just got back from a trip to the Cairngorms in Scotland. Visited two breweries - Black Isle, and Cairngorm. Both produce a selection of awesome beers.
Favourites from Cairngorm are - Black Gold, Trade Winds and Sheep Shagger.
And Black Isle - Porter, Hibernator and Heather Honey Ale.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

One of the ones I fell in love with while stationed in the UK was Fraoch Heather Ale. I can't find it over here in the U.S. Strangely enough that's the main reason I started trying my hand at home brewing.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Fraoch is around in the Northeast at the very least. I had their 20th anniversary, then bought 2 more to age a bit.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

Fraoch is made by Williams Bros. and while that beer is pretty good, the majority of Williams stuff is very ordinary. It doesn't surprise me that it isn't very widely distribute abroad.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Granted taste in beer is a wildly subjective matter but I think I have finally attained beer nirvana in the form of Magic Hat #9.

I guess when the beer gods close off one avenue they open another.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:03 am UTC

Coffee wrote:Granted taste in beer is a wildly subjective matter but I think I have finally attained beer nirvana in the form of Magic Hat #9.

I guess when the beer gods close off one avenue they open another.

#9 is one of the nicer brews I've found that's reasonably priced. I drink it more frequently than most other beers. It's hard for me to say no when it's offered.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

alden

Postby alden » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:14 pm UTC

If you can find/afford it, Hitachino Nest makes some excellent beers... I like the White Ale a lot, also XH which has hints of Sake/Shochu and their Ginger which has a nice subtle ginger flavor.

And this probably doesn't need repeating, but I am an unabashed Stone fanboy... fortunately for me they are reasonably close by!

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Bought a summer variety pack of Magic Hat a few nights ago. Just my thoughts on each of the beers:

IPA on Tour (Blind Faith): Too much hops for me. I'm not really an IPA person. I should have known what to expect before buying the pack, but I second guessed myself. I can handle hops better now than I could this time last year though.

Odd Notion (Summer 2010): Pretty good, slightly gingery.

Wacko: Too bland. It doesn't taste bad. It doesn't taste great. In much the same way water has no specific taste, this has no specific taste but that of generic beer to me. But the fact that it doesn't have a bad taste makes it drinkable, but not exciting.

#9: Still has a good balance and is still my favorite of the bunch. A little bit of hops taste, but not too much. There's pretty much nothing I don't like about #9. I really should have just bought a 12 pack of #9. But I wanted to try new things, so it's no big loss.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

I had travelled to the city this weekend, so decided I'd pick up a recipe for my second homebrew... the first went quite well, given that it was my first and I went straight to the grain-steeping method. It was a red ale, and had a nice full flavour - it had a little too much hoppy bitterness at first, which made me worry that I did something wrong, but that since toned down after a few more weeks and it's quite respectable now.

I also got a hydrometer to check the alcohol content of the new batch... I'm fairly certain my first batch had an alcohol content higher than the standard 5%, but I didn't have any way of checking it.

Next up is a german wheat beer, which should be a good summer option.
I don't know what to do for you

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:44 am UTC

My in-laws brought me back a sixer of Moose Drool Brown Ale from their trip to Montana! I will vet netcrusher and hendu's recommendations thoroughly this week.

OOPS: Also on Friday, Sarah and I went out to eat at the new Dunsmuir Brewery Works. It's a shame they haven't started to sell any house brews yet, but I did enjoy a pint of Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas. The server just said it was an "amber" and called it "little something ale" so I wasn't expecting a double IPA (the "Extra!" might have clued me in, I like to think), but it was very good. Sarah even enjoyed it, which is rare in a beer, though she had also enjoyed Torpedo last summer at the brewfest. Now I have to get Little Sumpin' Extra! and Torpedo side by side for a comparison... some time.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Time I posted here again.

Consumed Saturday night:
Whistler Brewing Company's Altitude Honey Lager. The six-pack proudly proclaims "IMPORTED". Cold, this tastes like a pretty good lager (not really American-style... has a British feel to it, warmer and heavier-bodied than most American lager but I expect the honey is part of that) with a kind of a weird sweet note. Let it warm a bit, and it becomes what mead has been trying to be for millenia. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but when it's warm there's a nice honey richness with the lager notes keeping the sweetness in check. This is the kind of beer you want on a Northwest summer evening.

Green Flash Brewing's Le Freak. They say it's San Diego Imperial Pale Ale meets Belgian Trippel, and it's fantastic. At a rich 9.2% and a surprisingly mild 20 IBU with a medium-body malt base I can't quite identify (I think the malt draws on both styles), the Belgian yeast top notes come together with the West Coast signature Cascade hops to create something amazing. If you like Belgian strong ales and West Coast pales, grab a bomber of this if you see one.

A while back I had Cascade's Summer Gose. Apparently Gose is an "ancient lager" or "pre-lager" style (this is what the bartender said), and it's one of the most unique beers I've ever had - next to, naturally, Dogfish Head Midas Touch and Raison d'Extra. It was like, sour and salty with some recognizable lager notes. I can't really say much about this beer except if you have a chance to try it, do so.

Thursday, I had Deschutes Miss Spelt. It's a hef brewed with 40% spelt, which gives it a very odd kind of sweet banana-ish flavor. Very good.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:06 am UTC

So, Moose Drool! I like it. Quite malty, a little bit nutty, and just the passing memory of bitterness. I'm a fan of brown ales, and this is one I'd put on a shelf with other good brown ales, take down every now and then for a dance or two, if you get my meaning. I'm still searching for a brown ale that blows the rest out of the water. This definitely isn't it.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:24 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So, Moose Drool! I like it. Quite malty, a little bit nutty, and just the passing memory of bitterness. I'm a fan of brown ales, and this is one I'd put on a shelf with other good brown ales, take down every now and then for a dance or two, if you get my meaning. I'm still searching for a brown ale that blows the rest out of the water. This definitely isn't it.

Brewdogs 5 AM saint

That one is quite possible one of my favorite beers at all, and I tend to favor stouts and IPA's.

Might help that we serve it quite often at the bar I work at, we probably have it three weeks out of five.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 am UTC

I'm a little unclear on what constitutes a brown ale, is it the same as a bitter, or is there some subtle difference I'm missing? I was about to suggest Timothy Taylor's Landlord, but according to their website it's a 'classic strong pale ale'. But it looks and tastes like a bitter. It's in my top 5 beers. Anyway, if that's out, then also in my top 5 is St Peter's Organic Best Bitter. Absolutely fantastic.

Picture time!
Spoiler:
wenlock arms.jpg

One of London's best pubs. I read in the London Drinker that it's in danger of being put up for sale, and there are concerns that it's attractive to developers who wish to turn the entire corner into flats. That would be a tremendous disappointment. Anyway, beards and ale:
The attachment beards.jpg is no longer available

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 am UTC

Brown ales are rich, warm, and smooth. Literally brown in color (darker than bitter), usually a medium body and not terribly bitter, around 5%. Nutty and dry, though sweetness varies depending on the brewery. It's a pretty broad style (but then, most are), but I think it's definitely a distinct style from bitter.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:51 am UTC

In that case, I can't think of any offhand. But there should be loads of UK brown ales, so I'll keep an eye out at next week's Great British Beer Festival.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Looks like Big Sky is even going to be there with Moose Drool. And yeah, should be plenty of UK brews - it's originally an English style.

That is one hell of a festival. Have fun.
Sexothermic

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

Yep, it's a mighty festival. Absolutely no chance of sampling even a majority of the beers, I've never even tried any of the non-UK beers before. Maybe I'll try this year, but I usually try to taste all the winners - eg Best bitter, best golden ale, best mild, best stout, etc, and by the time I've done that things start to get a little blurry, and then there's still the ciders... Not even chowing down on pork pies and pork scratchings prevents a ridiculous headache the next day.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:In that case, I can't think of any offhand.[/url].
Newcastle Brown?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

True. I was trying thinking of ones that I like and drink regularly.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I'm a little unclear on what constitutes a brown ale, is it the same as a bitter, or is there some subtle difference I'm missing?

There is some difference, but at the same time there is a lot of overlap between the two, and in the case of 5 AM saint, I would definitely call it a brown ale more than a bitter. And I've tasted a great number of brown ales that I would call bitter instead of brown ale.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Return to “Food”