Post-Drinking Miracle Recipes

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

wery67564

Post-Drinking Miracle Recipes

Postby wery67564 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

Ok, so this saturday, the 19th, I'm turning 21.

'nuff said. Moreso I live ona millitary base and my fellow shipmates have a great thirst that they constantly quench and that I am lagging far behind in. So this saturday I will probably be slightly intoxicated (hide the cellphone beforehand intoxicated) and I was wondering if any of you xkcders culinary prowess extends into the world of day after pain removal.

The only one I know is a prairie oyster and that sounds, well, fairly disgusting...

1 egg
2 drops hot sauce
dash of pepper
dash of salt
2 drops worshtecier (sp!) sauce
.5 oz vodka

pour vodka into glass.
break egg over voda careful not to break the yolk.
pour spices on egg

Bottoms up!

Sidenote: I am aware there is no miracle cure for hangovers, thanks for pointing that out, however, what is your favorite food/drink combination that makes you feel like you are feeling better. Like comfort food, only stuff thats easy to keep down...

*edited for stupidity
Last edited by wery67564 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
To exist is to resist.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Post-Drinking Miracle Recipes

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

Yeah, there is no hangover cure. Certainly not hiding in a raw egg.

Drink water as you're boozing. Eat too. Drink water after you're done boozing. Eat some more. The next morning, drink water. Eat. Take over the counter pain killers.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Hair of the Dog. :)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Azrael is wise and should be heeded. I get enough crap for drinking a glass of water every second drink or so myself though, so I imagine it might not really be a practical option in a very macho setting. It really, really helps though.

After a night out I don't go to bed without drinking at least 500ml of water. I very rarely have hangovers.

Next day: fruit juice and honey supposedly help restore something... blood sugar levels or liver somethings or something.

Speaking of which, oral tradition dictates that the less sugar in your tipple of choice the better you'll feel the next day, with whiskey and soda / water being favoured. I don't know how true that is.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Drink lots of Gatorade after you're done, and the morning after. It replaces the water that you lose, and the electrolytes help you hold onto it (as long as it doesn't come back out the way it came in, that is). Drink water in the midst, if possible.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

They key to beating a hangover is waking up drunk.

This is a fact. You cannot have a hangover if you are still drunk.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

My personal experience says otherwise.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

I'm mostly going to add on to comments made by others, but I've heard (on the Discovery Channel, no less) that cheaper booze contains more impurities that lead to hangovers. I've also heard that darker spirits contain more methanol, which also contributes to hangovers. Not surprisingly, I've also heard that none of that is true.
Truth is a matter of perception, you can build your own drinking reality (and then watch it fall apart).
Endless Mike wrote:Drink lots of Gatorade after you're done, and the morning after. It replaces the water that you lose, and the electrolytes help you hold onto it (as long as it doesn't come back out the way it came in, that is). Drink water in the midst, if possible.

*I second that, I'd also like to add that Life Water and Vitamin Water are also helpful. Ginger ale will help make your stomach feel better, but it won't do much for lost nutrients. If you drink anything along the lines of Red Bull and vodka, then the caffeine will cause you to lose pretty much all of the water you've taken in.
Any other non-alcoholic beverage will also help lighten the load, but that's only because they'll slow your absorption rate and lessen how drunk you actually get.

*Make sure your pre-drinking meal consists of something greasy. Rumor has it that the grease will partially coat your stomach lining and help protect it. (works for me)

I've heard that egg does help, but raw egg doesn't help more. And I always prefer to go light on the seasoning. Also, bread, eat bread.

Moo wrote:Next day: fruit juice and honey supposedly help restore something... blood sugar levels or liver somethings or something.

Speaking of which, oral tradition dictates that the less sugar in your tipple of choice the better you'll feel the next day, with whiskey and soda / water being favoured. I don't know how true that is.

*I've never heard honey before, but I have been told that it has some sort of soothing ability.
*Fruit juice before, during, and after is supposed to help replenish your vitamin C supply. "They" say vitamin C is important to this issue somehow.
*True, sugar has a dehydrating effect, but I don't know to what degree.

Azrael wrote: Take over the counter pain killers.

Specifically, Tylenol. Nurse what's-her-face told me that Tylenol is the only pain killer that's easy on the stomach (it's what they handed out with flu shots). If Tylenol doesn't normally work for you, just make sure you're not taking aspirin.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

btilly

Postby btilly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I have had very few hangovers in my life. The reason for that is that I try to follow Azrael's advice. One alcoholic drink. One cup of water. More alcohol. More water. Eat something salty along the way.

In the morning, greasy food is much more appealing than anything else. That's not to say it is appealing, nothing is at that point, but greasy food is more appealing than the rest. And once you start eating it, you don't want to stop.

Pretty much the perfect food in my experience is a Philly Cheese Steak. I don't think it is a coincidence that Philadelphia is known for its alcohol consumption.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:52 am UTC

I concur with the above mentioning of greasy food!

A greasy, fat-laden fry up is my cure for hangovers. Fried mushrooms, egg, toast tomatoes and/or beans, hash browns, bacon and sausages (sometimes veggie substitutes as i'm not too much into meat)...the works. I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet by the Brits of the board, as it seems like a hangover staple amongst my friends.
i dare you to take me on...

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I've heard that you're a lot better off eating toast with honey and some juice, for all the obvious benefits of the juice as stated here before and because the toast will give you some energy and help regulate your blood sugar (as should the honey) that went mad after all that energy from the alcohol sent it into a crazy spiral the night before.

A quick (and I do mean quick) Google tells me many do support a fry-up as a cure, many stating that it's mostly the huge amount of calories in it (I guess mostly from fat; see healthier alternative, toast, above) and more importantly the eggs:
"Whether you have them raw (eugh, bad and wrong), as part of a fry-up, or just on toast (preferably burnt*), eggs have scientific backing for their ability to sort out a hangover. The magic comes from the fact that eggs are rich in cysteine, an amino acid which effectively counteracts the poisonous effects of alcohol."

*According to this article the carbon in the burnt toast acts as a filter; I think that sounds like pseudo-science at best myself.

I wonder if the large amount of proteien, which is hard to digest, doesn't do more harm than good (she says sitting here sober, ask again when I'm hung over - you can find me too at the cafe on the Broadway :) the effect might be psychosematic but it really always does seem like a good idea doesn't it!)

Said quick google returned this handy experiment on hangovers. Booze + Science, yay!
(Be advised, the last "experiment" includes a gross picture of vomit. Sorry, didn't read all the way down when I first posted the link.)
http://www.justaguything.com/the-7-day- ... over-cure/
Last edited by Moo on Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Oooh. Intriguing link, Moo. Although, that vomiting picture...good GAWD.

Ah, yes i'm an advocate for a healthy hangover breakfast too. Porridge with honey and a glass of fruit juice is my choice, when i'm wanting a healthy alternative. But I just crave insanely stodgy stuff when i'm hungover. Thats when I find myself in the Cafe up the road, drowning that full English Breakfast in ketchup.
i dare you to take me on...

julius

Postby julius » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

I agree on the fry-up. Getting to the point where you can get the fry-up down, and keep it down, can be tricky - but from that point onward, the fry-up solves the problem...
On the question of getting/keeping stuff down - if I'm feeling really rough, and can't bear the thought of eating anything, throwing up seems to help a lot. Not to be too graphic, I wake up, spend half an hour thinking "I'm going to spew" with increasing dread, then drag myself to the toilet and dry-heave (I haven't eaten anything yet, remember) for a few minutes. Then walk to the kitchen and happily raid the fridge. Strange but true.

Coke (as in the drink, just to be perfectly clear) is considered a universal stomach medicine by my parents, whether it's a vomit-virus or a hangover, and I have to agree with them.

Painkillers: I don't know about Tylenol, I tend to go for Aspirin if my stomach can deal with it. I guess it's worth noting that Paracetamol and alcohol don't go together very well, to the point of being dangerous.
EDIT: Ah, Wikipedia reveals that Tylenol is paracetamol, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, is only dangerous if you ingest ridiculous amounts of either it or alcohol. Still prefer aspirin because I know it's safe.

At risk of stating the obvious, I find drinking the same thing for the whole session avoids the hangover a lot of the time, and darker drinks are worse. So I've been utterly smashed on lager with no hang-over, and I've had substantial hangovers from having just a couple of pints of a decent ale. Mixing beer and cider is lethal.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:My personal experience says otherwise.

Mine too.

If nothing else, at least a pint (500mL) of water before bed (and as much as you can stand later that night (if you wake up) or whenever you wake up) coupled with foods that are high in vitamins (think tomato juice, etc.).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Moo wrote:*According to this article the carbon in the burnt toast acts as a filter; I think that sounds like pseudo-science at best myself.

Actually true. The Discovery Channel told me, and me alone, that people the world over have used charcoal to treat various stomach ailments. But the show wasn't about medicine, it was about monkeys (they use charcoal too).

julius wrote:Coke (as in the drink, just to be perfectly clear) is considered a universal stomach medicine by my parents, whether it's a vomit-virus or a hangover, and I have to agree with them.

Painkillers: I don't know about Tylenol, I tend to go for Aspirin if my stomach can deal with it. I guess it's worth noting that Paracetamol and alcohol don't go together very well, to the point of being dangerous.
EDIT: Ah, Wikipedia reveals that Tylenol is paracetamol, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, is only dangerous if you ingest ridiculous amounts of either it or alcohol. Still prefer aspirin because I know it's safe.

Also true, Coke was originally meant to be stomach medicine. They started selling it as a soft drink when someone added club soda instead of water to the powered mix.
I didn't know that about Tylenol, but I'd still recommend avoiding aspirin since it can cause stomach pain.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:41 am UTC

julius wrote:At risk of stating the obvious, I find drinking the same thing for the whole session avoids the hangover a lot of the time, and darker drinks are worse. So I've been utterly smashed on lager with no hang-over, and I've had substantial hangovers from having just a couple of pints of a decent ale. Mixing beer and cider is lethal.

I've never understood the issue with mixing drinks. Lots of people report it, so I believe it, but I have no idea why it would be true. As for me, my water routine makes me virtually invincible in this regard. My usual routine on the rare occasions where I'm drinking heavily is a different drink every time. But you'll always see me with something alcoholic in one hand, and water in the other. And I try to finish them together.

Let's see if I can remember what I did at the company party last Christmas. Heinekin. Black and tan. Rusty Nail. Black Russian. Hefeweizen. Jack and coke. Screwdriver. White Russian. Probably not in that exact order, but that's about the right mix of drinks. I was, to say the least, fairly happy. In the morning? A bit fuzzy around the gills, but no significant damage. Half those drinks without the water would have left me in for a world of hurt

Admittedly no cider in that mix, but I've mixed cider and beer as well on other occasions and been fine.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Also true, Coke was originally meant to be stomach medicine. They started selling it as a soft drink when someone added club soda instead of water to the powered mix.
I didn't know that about Tylenol, but I'd still recommend avoiding aspirin since it can cause stomach pain.

So clearly to get the full stomach-healing effects of original Coke, you should drink a mixture of 5 parts water, 1 part sugar, a drop of brown food coloring, and a dash of cocaine.

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 am UTC

TomBot wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:Also true, Coke was originally meant to be stomach medicine. They started selling it as a soft drink when someone added club soda instead of water to the powered mix.

So clearly to get the full stomach-healing effects of original Coke, you should drink a mixture of 5 parts water, 1 part sugar, a drop of brown food coloring, and a dash of cocaine.

I don't know about how well that would heal your stomach. Particularly with the ulcer you're liable to get after the police catch wind of what you're doing.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:23 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Actually true. The Discovery Channel told me, and me alone, that people the world over have used charcoal to treat various stomach ailments. But the show wasn't about medicine, it was about monkeys (they use charcoal too).

and
That wiki page wrote:The Retrospect of Practical Medicine and Surgery, a medical text published in 1856, recommends charcoal biscuits for gastric problems, saying each biscuit contained ten grains (648 mg) of charcoal.[3] Vegetable Charcoal: Its Medicinal and Economic Properties with Practical Remarks on Its Use in Chronic Affections of the Stomach and Bowels, published in 1857, recommends charcoal biscuits as an excellent method of administering charcoal to children.[4]

More recently, a type of charcoal biscuit has been marketed as a pet care product.

Being used (a) in 1857 and (b) "the world over" without saying who and when, does not make it true in my book. The wikipedia lacks the little sentence that says "it actually works" or "it is used today by real doctors" that would actually convince me. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I have no reason to think it is at this point. "Oh, it contains carbon! Carbon filters stuff, right? The toast in your STOMACH must filter the alcohol that was in your BLOOD last night!"

On Coke, at university I went to, it is known as The Red Ambulance due to it's hangover cure popularity. As I said earlier, most things that are considered good cures involve giving you some energy. Coke also contains fluid and caffeine so it makes sense to me. In fact the only time I drink coke is if I'm hungover or my tummy is upset (but not upset enough for medical intervention) and honey sweetend rooibos is not obtainable.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

btilly wrote:
julius wrote:At risk of stating the obvious, I find drinking the same thing for the whole session avoids the hangover a lot of the time, and darker drinks are worse. So I've been utterly smashed on lager with no hang-over, and I've had substantial hangovers from having just a couple of pints of a decent ale. Mixing beer and cider is lethal.

I've never understood the issue with mixing drinks. Lots of people report it, so I believe it, but I have no idea why it would be true.

The individuals I've heard always report issues with mixing liquor and beer as "So I had six shots of vodka, eight of tequila, four beers, three more shots of vodka, and then Bob, Sue, and I split a fifth of whiskey. I was so hung over because ..." and rather than the logical "..because I drank so goddamn much it's a wonder I'm not dead"... no no no.. it was the mixing of the alcohol that did it. Not the sheer quantity.

Once I figured out ... well, basically figured out that not paying attention to how many drinks you've had is a bad idea, I've ceased to get sick. The only time I have since then was.. when I ignored my advice to myself. Coincidentally, that would be the time when I woke up hung over and still drunk.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:Actually true. The Discovery Channel told me, and me alone, that people the world over have used charcoal to treat various stomach ailments. But the show wasn't about medicine, it was about monkeys (they use charcoal too).

Being used (a) in 1857 and (b) "the world over" without saying who and when, does not make it true in my book. The wikipedia lacks the little sentence that says "it actually works" or "it is used today by real doctors" that would actually convince me. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I have no reason to think it is at this point. "Oh, it contains carbon! Carbon filters stuff, right? The toast in your STOMACH must filter the alcohol that was in your BLOOD last night!"

This isn't college, why can't I just cite Wikipedia and be done with it?
The first important point is that I clarified that it'll help stomach problems, I never said it'd help a headache. The second important point is that I clarified the show was about monkeys. The thing was that I couldn't remember if they were South American monkeys or African monkeys, but I was fairly certain that they, unlike the referenced biscuits, weren't English. But a whit of research showed the monkeys in question to be Tanzanian. Unlike the show, the article implies that people got the idea from monkeys, instead of the other way around.

As for "the world over," I didn't mean it literally, but a quick Google search showed that lots of people are willing to sell me charcoal. It also showed this, this, this, and this. I also found that legitimate medical journals, both American and European, won't tell me anything unless I give them money.
(I wonder why the internet is so obsessed with my money. Is it because I hide it in unicorns?)
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:This isn't college, why can't I just cite Wikipedia and be done with it?
The first important point is that I clarified that it'll help stomach problems, I never said it'd help a headache. The second important point is that I clarified the show was about monkeys. The thing was that I couldn't remember if they were South American monkeys or African monkeys, but I was fairly certain that they, unlike the referenced biscuits, weren't English. But a whit of research showed the monkeys in question to be Tanzanian. Unlike the show, the article implies that people got the idea from monkeys, instead of the other way around.

As for "the world over," I didn't mean it literally, but a quick Google search showed that lots of people are willing to sell me charcoal. It also showed this, this, this, and this. I also found that legitimate medical journals, both American and European, won't tell me anything unless I give them money.
(I wonder why the internet is so obsessed with my money. Is it because I hide it in unicorns?)

Oooooh... kaaaaay...

1. It wasn't a personal attack, I just pointed out that the information you gave up until that point did not in any way aid the argument that eating burnt toast would help for a hangover.
2. You may quote wikipedia all you like. However if the article you quote does not contain one relevant fact to convince me of your point, there may not be much point in doing so.
2. I never disputed the origins of your monkeys, or anything about the show you were watching (second important point?)
3. The other links you've now posted do in fact contribute something relevant and goes some way to explain why eating burnt toast may help for a hangover. Now it's an entirely different matter. I may now even be interested enough to read up on it, when I have time.

However Serious the Business of the Internet may be you really shouldn't take things so personally.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

Dear Moo:
I didn't take it personally. I thought that you were just commenting that my clearly half-assed post didn't contain much in the way of useful information, and I attempted to rectify that. The thing I keep forgetting is that I'm really bad at communication, even in the real world. Here on the inter-tubes, I can only use verbal communication, but (some expert said) that only 7% of communication is verbal. I'm quickly discovering that I pretty much depend on that other 93%, as I seem to use language that, taken in and of itself, ranges from "no nonsense/business-like" to "downright hostile/what a bastard". So, yeah, sorry about that, I'll just to fix my words in the future. In order to add levity, here's some puppy pics.

As to hangovers (I'd like to stay near the thread's purpose at some point), here's a link to College Humor's "Hangover Recovery Guide." Of course, they're a humor website, not a medical website, so try to keep some salt nearby.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

*Moo offers to buy Mr Mack a friendly no-hard-feelings-sorry-if-I-was-rude drink - and notes that we could test some of these theories for Science as a bonus*

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

There is a miracle cure for hangovers. It's called water.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

So does anyone else just not get hangovers, no matter what was consumed the night before?
I've had my fair share of drinking-for-18-hours sessions and still not had a hangover in the morning.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

When I was 18 and could drink anyone who ever tried under the table and stayed up all night on weekends drinking snake bites with vodka tops, I never got hangovers (I went through a year of rather uncharacteristic part-rebellion-part-self-finding-stuff).
Then I moved somewhere with no social options and drank almost nothing for three months, and ever since I am such a lightweight; I can't drink nearly that much anymore. Oh well, it's cheaper and healthier. I still rarely get hangovers but if I don't drink water I do feel a little lethargic and grumpy the next day.

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

I have had 2 severe hangovers in my life, though both were probably mild alcohol poisoning. Both involved me lying in bed for a long time and vomiting bile (and when that was done, whatever else was in there) for more than 24 hours. The first time I was drinking vodka/orange mix, beer, rum and cokes, bourbon and cokes, crazy mexicans, and then I don't remember, but apparently it involved whatever people would give me. The second time involved a bottle of wine, triple shots (vodka, tequila, sambuca) then a bottle of mead. The first one was a range of alcohol without water, the second was without food. We have the rule that Eating is Cheating.

Both hangovers were cured by rest, water, and food when it could happen. Also, Vegemite or marmite on toast help to boost vitamin B, which is lost during drinking. My mother is a nurse, and frequently yells this at me when I get home.

TheTankengine wrote:So does anyone else just not get hangovers, no matter what was consumed the night before?
I've had my fair share of drinking-for-18-hours sessions and still not had a hangover in the morning.

If I follow my rules (my special rules) I can avoid a hangover.

Don't eat party food.
Don't overmix, especially grape and grain. Wine and beer is not a good mix.
Drink water.
Ask everyone beforehand not to give me alcohol when I run out of mine.
If it's more than 60% alcohol, cut the first few drinks half/half with something.
Never drink cheap vodka. Never drink coffee liqueurs (I just hate them so much).

Also, and this may be an inappropriate suggestion, but I'm just putting it out there, weed helps a lot. It can't be that hard to find weed on a military base, can it? Weed has taken me from stumbling around drinking absinthe out of a bottle all night to getting up and ready for my grandmother's funeral the next day, at which I was able to show the required amount of emotion, humanity, and coordination, even though I was still fucking wasted. Also, didn't throw up that night.

Moo wrote:Then I moved somewhere with no social options and drank almost nothing for three months, and ever since I am such a lightweight; I can't drink nearly that much anymore. Oh well, it's cheaper and healthier. I still rarely get hangovers but if I don't drink water I do feel a little lethargic and grumpy the next day.

When I stopped drinking, for reasonable reasons, I found that my alcohol money went a lot further. I normally spent $60 a fortnight, but now I could get away with half that much. Then I started drinking several times a week again, and I'm back to my old levels.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

[offtopic rant]
You know what fracking annoys me? People who try to force some ridiculous macho bullshit rules on me when I'm out in a drinking environment. Like people who try to take your water from you or make fun of you about it, or tell you you aren't allowed to eat, or buy you a double when you explicitly ask for a single.
I know my limit, I know my body, and I'm really lucky that I don't have anything to prove to you or anyone else. I have a just fine self esteem. Get your macho crap shit bollocks out of my life. I'm even so lucky that I don't have a penis, so I really don't need to prove my manliness or anything else to you*

*It has in my experience been exclusively men who do this; and saying that pleasantly unnerves them.
[/offtopic rant]

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

drinking parties obscuring individualism is bad but going out to work functions and being judged by how many beers you down in an evening is driving me nuts. Particularly when all of the guys then turn around and drive home. I try to not even go because just watching them get in their cars afterwards makes me want to vomit. 3-5 beers in <2 hours and then a drive home is morally wrong to me.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 am UTC

@moo-rant and Mosc-comment:

Those are fair points. If you do not agree to follow the rules of the game before drinking, you should not have to, and you have the explicit right to tell anyone who tries to make you do something you don't want to to fuck off. And I respect you for being brave enough to tell them that. And drink drivers suck. You should go, and hand out pictures of car accidents, and confiscate keys.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Wormwood, I actually meant to add that you just reminded me of that fact, I didn't mean you. You are of course more than welcome to do it in your group of friends if you've all agreed to it. That's fine. It's just when people then decide their's is the Right Way and try to force it on me that I want to punch them in the throat.

I had written a long rant about drink driving and the selfishness of it but I fear it will take the topic too far off on a tangent, but it's bad mmmkay.

Back to hangover cures. I hope wery67564 will let us know what he tried and how it went!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:So does anyone else just not get hangovers, no matter what was consumed the night before?

I don't have hangovers. I always stick to just one type of drink whenever I drink, and always make sure to drink a little bit of water and eat something salty on the side and I've only had a hangover once and that was mostly due to me being sick before I started drinking. I sometimes gets very tired the day after drinking but that can always be cured with some pizza.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 am UTC

I've never had one (and have definitely done my share of drinking) but my dad assures me this is because I am still young and that people never get hangovers in their 'early days' of drinking (been drinking pretty heavily for ~ 4 years now). He says it will hit me soon enough. :?
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

mosc wrote: 3-5 beers in <2 hours and then a drive home is morally wrong to me.
I have no idea if theoretical BAC calculators are even reasonable approximations, but they're fun to play with.

But that one puts a 180lb man at .06% from 5 beers in 2 hours - and .02% from 3 beers.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

Yeah, I wouldn't even notice 3 beers in 2 hours, and probably only slightly 5.

I should note that I am a large person.

Of course, 4 is about where I stop counting how many I've had.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

I'm a terrible lightweight, but I'm also going to side with the water + f00d guys. Seriously, it helps so much.

I'm not sure if this is true since it's only happened to me once, but I noticed that if I stayed up so late that I was no longer drunk that the hangover never came (this was due to an adventure involving the fact that in Tokyo, the trains stop running at midnight and do not start again until about 5:30 am. It was a very long and very interesting night.) Thing is I'd also had a lot of water, so no idea if this is accurate :D anyone else have any experience with such shenanigans?

Still. Water = good. Food = good.

Also, tea is good for everything, so a nice spot of chamomile will both rehydrate you and help with the headache. though you'll also be sleepy for the rest of the day. Do not drink caffinated tea, stick to herbal infusions.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Foreign city... check. Missing the last train and having an unweildy set of adventures until they start again in the morning... check. Lots of alcohol... check. You know, I think I slept through the entire day I was supposed to have the hangover, so I fear I cannot comment on it or lack of one. That was a craaaazy weekend.

Return to “Food”