The. Wost. Thing. You've. Eaten.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

backslash

Re: The. Wost. Thing. You've. Eaten.

Postby backslash » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

I am willing to try anything. Seriously. This has gotten me into some very ... ahem ... interesting situations. Things I would have again: escargot, feet (chicken, duck, pig), gator, tripe. Things I would not: kidney, liver, heart and various other internal organs, insects, tongue (wait, is that an organ?).

Let me tell you folks: never, ever, under ANY circumstance, sample sea cucumber. I tried it, and it was disgusting--slimy, and tasted like sauce trying to cover up the scrapings of a sewage treatment plant filter. I threw up days later when I found out that that description pretty much exactly matches what it was:

Please, flee the premises if anyone offers you some.
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Jelly, Jam, and Preserves are three different things. Was it a Jelly or a Jam?

I put both in because our neighbo(u)rs up North and to the East of me see jelly and think of what we call Jell-O, or gelatin. It was apple jelly.

SecondTalon wrote:Short of a sandwich slathered with mayonnaise when at no point in ordering was I lead to believe said sandwich would have mayonnaise on it, I've never sent anything back because I found it disgusting.

Though I've simply refused to eat free food because said free food had mayonnaise on it. I've claimed egg allergy from time to time, but I always felt bad when I did and have since stopped doing that as.. well, I don't have an egg allergy, and claiming so seems to belittle those who actually do.. as I find eggs to be tasty. Just not mayonnaise.

I'm pretty much the same way. I like eggs, but not mayonnaise, unless it's used as an ingredient, like in cole slaw or tuna salad. I used to like mayonnaise on my sandwiches long time ago, but not anymore. A couple of times I have sent back sandwiches because they had mayonnaise on them, and I didn't expect them to slather a big glob of the stuff on there. Next time please put it on your menu. There are some people who don't like it, and others who are allergic to the eggs in it. That's why I always make sure I tell them EXACTLY what I want on my burger or sandwich: plain, ketchup and mustard only (for burgers), cheddar cheese (so help you Optimus Prime if you use American cheese), etc.

If there's not too much mayonnaise on the bun, I'll scrape it off with a knife that otherwise wasn't being used. I've done that at Cracker Barrel a few times. At Waffle House they tell you it comes with mayonnaise, but it comes in a little packet not too unlike the ketchup and mustard packets. I end up chucking it aside, unopened, and they put it back in the makeline bin with the 500-some others. I had gotten to the point where I tell them to "hold the garden" (leave off all the other crap).

Speaking of sandwiches, one time I nearly got sick at a Subway or Blimpie. I had ordered the meatball sub and they asked if I wanted mayonnaise and mustard on it. Mayo and mustard on a sandwich with Italian meatballs swimming in spaghetti sauce. Excuse me, I gotta GO! MOVE UNLESS YOU WANT CHUNKS ON YOUR SHIRT!!!!
PRG

An important message for you:

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

I am severely allergic to eggs, and I don't think mayo is that disgusting in the instances when I have dared sample small amounts of it :) It does taste slimy, though.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Mom wrote:You'll like it.

That's usually a warning sign that it won't be something I'll like. She once made something called "Butter Chicken" which apparently contained neither butter nor chicken, at least not in their recognizable states. It had certain spices in it, I think curry was one of them, that just offset it big time. It was supposed to be some Middle Eastern or Indian dish. Luckily Dad had made some pan bread, so that became most of the meal. It's really good with apple jelly (jam) spread on it.

Butter chicken is amazing.

Also, almost any sandwich you order up here comes with mayo by default. I don't know what they're thinking with the roast beef or the smoked meat, as those do not go with mayo at all.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

backslash wrote:Let me tell you folks: never, ever, under ANY circumstance, sample sea cucumber.

Please, flee the premises if anyone offers you some.

Haha, I had sea cucumber today. I was at this traditional (more or less) engagement party with ten-course meals and the bride-to-be in three different dresses and such. In any case, one of the courses was a soup with these weirdly textured things in them. There were a few different things in it, but one was long, weirdly puckered, and kind of chewy. I turned to my friend and asked what it was, and she said, "Oh, that's sea cucumber."

I had to laugh, after JUST reading this warning from you like last night. Even though I didn't think it tasted that bad, I was suddenly struck with the need to not eat any more ever.

I didn't, however, vacate the premises. And it's a good thing, too, or I would have missed out on the prawns.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:57 am UTC

I once bought a churro from the small local theme park. It tasted a bit like the bones of a cactus. Dipped in sand.

backslash

Postby backslash » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 am UTC

theamberkey wrote:Haha, I had sea cucumber today. I was at this traditional (more or less) engagement party with ten-course meals and the bride-to-be in three different dresses and such. In any case, one of the courses was a soup with these weirdly textured things in them. There were a few different things in it, but one was long, weirdly puckered, and kind of chewy. I turned to my friend and asked what it was, and she said, "Oh, that's sea cucumber."

I had to laugh, after JUST reading this warning from you like last night. Even though I didn't think it tasted that bad, I was suddenly struck with the need to not eat any more ever.

I didn't, however, vacate the premises. And it's a good thing, too, or I would have missed out on the prawns.

Well, bully for you on all counts. At least you were warned. ;o) The real problem I have with it isn't the texture or the taste so much as the video I saw of one in action--crapping out waste from one end of its slimy little already-turd-lookin' body. ew.

I am glad you stayed for the rest of the dinner, tho...would have been a shame to miss the two other dresses and nine other courses (I was at one of those and it was amazing).
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:I once bought a churro from the small local theme park. It tasted a bit like the bones of a cactus. Dipped in sand.

Cacti have bones?

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Graham Finch wrote:Cacti have bones?

The vicious, man-eating cacti of the Sahara do.

Bones big around as a man.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Greens to Go. It is the nastiest thing I have ever consumed. I tried it as a free sample at Costco, later I sat there watching people try the free sample, and the resulting look of utter disgust on their faces :D

Fafnir43

Postby Fafnir43 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I have a peculiar, yet vitriolic, loathing for red peppers in all their forms.
This post brought to you by the language C and the number F.

Jayngfet

Postby Jayngfet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:18 am UTC

I was moving, the only thing left in the house was years old oysters in the back of the fridge, one bite and I went hungry.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Once tried this preserved fish while on holiday. Had the texture of a kipper, which was alright, but it was both very salty and very sweet. I wasn't feeling too well anyway, and that defo didn't help
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Can't really recall eating anything particularly disgusting, my friend mixed gin with oatmeal the other day though, apparently wasn't a winner.

This topic reminded me of a blog i found recently, The Sneeze. A recurring thing on the blog is "Steve, don't eat it!", where he, well, eats disgusting stuff. Pretty funny.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:23 am UTC

Natto. I almost threw up in the restaurant. I spat the rest out into the toilet. Anything that is fermented and cannot get me drunk is no longer on my menu.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

If we have to speak about recent things, then shrimps (prawns?). They were bought by mistake (not by me, other house mates) because package looked like standard fish fingers (yummy). It turned out that not only pesky crustaceans were much more expensive than fish, they also taste like gooey crunchy rubbery fish. And I had images of little buggers with antennae (cockroach?) and thick white caterpillars all the time in my head while eating them. And yet they call it ‘delicacy’! I’d rather see such delicacy in its coffin.
And if I have to recall everything, it would be kid’s years and whole ‘eat what is given to you and do not complain, we had it much worse after war, you kids should be starved to become less picky’ thing. Add to that standard soviet kindergarten. Totally vomit-inducing watery oat porridge, which resembles snot lumps, is a standard breakfast meal. Ugh! Add to that kids’ supervisor, who had the most annoying habit of pouring said porridge onto your head if you refused to eat it as a punishment for uncooperative behaviour. (I swear, most personal complexes and issues and insecurities stem from kindergarten period, really!)
BTW, what’s up with you, mayonnaise haters? It is the yummiest sauce I have EVER tasted. Silky texture, very smooth, nice pale yellow or white colour, spicy smell and the most well balanced taste, including hot, salty, sour and sweet. Yes, they contain eggs, but they never taste like eggs. I have never known that there are eggs in mayonnaise before I read about it at decent age. Good for sandwiches (if it is thick), for cooking chicken and other meats (it forms a nice padding), for salads (runnier one). Now, let me guess… ah… I see… Is it like always, US’ians take foods from all over the world, bastardize it till it becomes uneatable and then complain how awful it is? An Englishman’s heart rips apart after seeing what perversions they put through poor tea.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:If we have to speak about recent things, then shrimps (prawns?). They were bought by mistake (not by me, other house mates) because package looked like standard fish fingers (yummy). It turned out that not only pesky crustaceans were much more expensive than fish, they also taste like gooey crunchy rubbery fish. And I had images of little buggers with antennae (cockroach?) and thick white caterpillars all the time in my head while eating them. And yet they call it ‘delicacy’! I’d rather see such delicacy in its coffin.
And if I have to recall everything, it would be kid’s years and whole ‘eat what is given to you and do not complain, we had it much worse after war, you kids should be starved to become less picky’ thing. Add to that standard soviet kindergarten. Totally vomit-inducing watery oat porridge, which resembles snot lumps, is a standard breakfast meal. Ugh! Add to that kids’ supervisor, who had the most annoying habit of pouring said porridge onto your head if you refused to eat it as a punishment for uncooperative behaviour. (I swear, most personal complexes and issues and insecurities stem from kindergarten period, really!)
BTW, what’s up with you, mayonnaise haters? It is the yummiest sauce I have EVER tasted. Silky texture, very smooth, nice pale yellow or white colour, spicy smell and the most well balanced taste, including hot, salty, sour and sweet. Yes, they contain eggs, but they never taste like eggs. I have never known that there are eggs in mayonnaise before I read about it at decent age. Good for sandwiches (if it is thick), for cooking chicken and other meats (it forms a nice padding), for salads (runnier one). Now, let me guess… ah… I see… Is it like always, US’ians take foods from all over the world, bastardize it till it becomes uneatable and then complain how awful it is? An Englishman’s heart rips apart after seeing what perversions they put through poor tea.

You're not allowed to have an anime nick/profile picture and not like shrimp ;)

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

So, I am an oxymoron that came alive?

Also, olives. Yeeech! They definitely LOOK far better than they taste. Like slightly rotten tomatoes with mushroom texture. It was a big mistake on my part: olive oil is very good, so olives must be the same. Wrong!!! :x

upd: To be fair, they were black ones, and they were in the form of preserves from a can. Maybe fresh taste better, I live too far north to have them grow here...
Last edited by Iori_Yagami on Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu May 01, 2008 1:18 am UTC

One day I was making tuna sandwiches with my friend. Tuna from a can. Normally, I'm all over that shit. I also like hot sauce. All they had was some jim bean pseudo hot sauce. So I drain the tuna into a little bowl and add a shit load of the hot sauce. The tuna turned a nasty purple color. It was like eating soupy, spicy chunky fish on bread. Just horrible. I couldn't even finish it. Made me sick to my stomach.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu May 01, 2008 2:35 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:So, I am an oxymoron that came alive?

Also, olives. Yeeech! They definitely LOOK far better than they taste. Like slightly rotten tomatoes with mushroom texture. It was a big mistake on my part: olive oil is very good, so olives must be the same. Wrong!!! :x

Black or green? Black olives are quite good, as long as they're not salted and whatnot like crazy. Green, not so much.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu May 01, 2008 7:51 am UTC

Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie.

it tastes like corned beef and piss.

it's the first time I've ever thrown food away because I couldn't eat it, SO gross.

for clarity, we bought the pies for some photos for a very in-joke, but since we'd bought them (3 for £2 in asda, should have been a warning) we felt we should try them.
Pie in a can is a bad idea for many reasons.

1- the can is really hard to open, leaving razor sharp edges.
2-then it gets cooked, leaving RED HOT razor sharp edges.
3-it tastes so bad I nearly made myself sick, just to take the taste away.
4- it's a pie and costs less than 70 pence, should have been a clue.
5- it's a pie, in a can.
6-a PIE in a CAN, seriously, who thought of that?

Did you know there's a place in uraguay caled fray bentos?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

Olives are foul. Period. End of story. Both colors. While I'm sure there's a subtle nuance and taste difference, I can't get past the overwhelming nasty to figure it out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu May 01, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

Olives are very delicious. Both colors. Black are a bit better.
You don't like olives. You don't like cream cheese or cranberry sauce and have never had curry...Talon, you are doing it wrong. All of these things make up the deliciousness of the world!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Thu May 01, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

I like olive oil, but I hate olives. To me, they smell of death. I also have a major aversion to black food (nothing like my sister though- she gets actively concerned watching her boyfriend eating blueberries because she has a fear that they're poisonous).

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Graham Finch wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:I once bought a churro from the small local theme park. It tasted a bit like the bones of a cactus. Dipped in sand.

Cacti have bones?

Cacti are held up by a sort of latticed woody support structure. See here.

EDIT: I have to agree with Sarah here:
PictureSarah wrote:Olives are very delicious. Both colors. Black are a bit better.
You don't like olives. You don't like cream cheese or cranberry sauce and have never had curry...Talon, you are doing it wrong. All of these things make up the deliciousness of the world!

crowey

Postby crowey » Fri May 02, 2008 7:37 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Olives are very delicious. Both colors. Black are a bit better.

I concur.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 am UTC

backslash wrote:I am willing to try anything. Seriously.
Things I would not: kidney, liver, heart and various other internal organs, insects, tongue (wait, is that an organ?).
Dude, that's a long list of stuff you wouldn't try. I don't claim I'll try anything, but I have had all of those. They're fairly standard foods to most people. I don't like kidney or liver, and heart is kind of chewy but very good for you. I've had fried larvae and crickets, and caramelized tarantula. And my ex's favorite food was a tongue sandwich. Stuff I wouldn't try? I struggle with whole fish heads.

Worst thing I've ever eaten? An undercooked chicken soup. I shat my way across Peru.

Wormwood

Postby Wormwood » Fri May 02, 2008 10:59 am UTC

lesliesage wrote:
backslash wrote:I am willing to try anything. Seriously.
Things I would not: kidney, liver, heart and various other internal organs, insects, tongue (wait, is that an organ?).
Dude, that's a long list of stuff you wouldn't try. I don't claim I'll try anything, but I have had all of those. They're fairly standard foods to most people. I don't like kidney or liver, and heart is kind of chewy but very good for you. I've had fried larvae and crickets, and caramelized tarantula. And my ex's favorite food was a tongue sandwich. Stuff I wouldn't try? I struggle with whole fish heads.

My grandmother is Scottish, so I've had most of the things on that list. The first part is the ingredients of haggis, which I get the pleasure of eating every Christmas, New Year's, Burn's Night, and whenever Granny Gets Bored. I once visited her with a friend, and she pulled out a plate of tongue, and I had some while he stood there gagging. It has a sort of creamy texture, I find. Feels sort of like you're eating a tongue. And tongue isn't an internal organ, because it's not in your body.

I once went through this phase were I was a semi moral vegetarian. Everytime I killed something, I'd try as hard as I could to use it, and not waste it's life. I am also a keen gardener. I ate a lot of bugs. I hate the squishy feeling of caterpillars, so I'd wrap them up in a little bit of lettuce before crunching them. Also, there is a type of insect in NZ called a stinkbug. I don't know how international they are, but they're a little green sapsucker thing. They have this really bad stink about them, which is also a really bad taste. I didn't eat many of them.

I like to think that I could say I'd try anything once, but I'm sure there's some crazy "food" out there that I would refuse to try. Seal shit mixed with blubber, for one.
Bakemaster wrote:DOGGIE STYLE IS THOUGHTCRIME-SODOMY

backslash

Postby backslash » Fri May 02, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:Dude, that's a long list of stuff you wouldn't try.

Actually, I *have* tried them; I was saying I wouldn't go out of my way to have them *again*. Sorry if I effed that up.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri May 02, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Ah, this is now apparent. I misread. Sorry about that! (I was like geez, you call that adventurous?)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 03, 2008 4:41 am UTC

I refuse to eat olives, mayonnaise, or tartar sauce. I don't care for mushrooms, cream cheese or cranberry sauce.. I mean, I'll eat them if I can't extract them from whatever, but if it's thrown in the mix of something, I'm probably just going to ignore it unless it's unavoidable. Unless it's a fucking jello salad. Fuck that shit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 03, 2008 4:57 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Unless it's a fucking jello salad. Fuck that shit.

On this, at least, we can agree. With enthusiasm.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat May 03, 2008 12:24 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Unless it's a fucking jello salad. Fuck that shit.

On this, at least, we can agree. With enthusiasm.

I third that notion. Those things just look gross, and in some cases scary. They're the stuff my nightmares are made of.

Jello (brand name for jelly for those of you in the UK or Australia) with pieces of fruit and/or marshmallows floating in it, as if put in suspended animation, while creepy, is still delicious.

But you add meat, veggies, mayonnaise, and other things that ought not to be in Jello, and you have this, this, or even this. Gah.
PRG

An important message for you:

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sat May 03, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

That looks like something I would throw up, but congealed. Gross.

Also, Talon, mushrooms make life worth living. You fail. HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

backslash

Postby backslash » Mon May 05, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:But you add meat, veggies, mayonnaise, and other things that ought not to be in Jello, and you have this, this, or even this. Gah.

Oh. my. god. Just looking at those things makes me want to toss. I love how they put them in quaint little molds with leaves and such embossed on the top to make you think they contain edible food products. Ick.

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue May 06, 2008 8:18 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Jello (brand name for jelly for those of you in the UK or Australia) with pieces of fruit and/or marshmallows floating in it, as if put in suspended animation, while creepy, is still delicious.

But you add meat, veggies, mayonnaise, and other things that ought not to be in Jello, and you have this, this, or even this. Gah.

oh dear god. why would anyone do that?

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Tue May 06, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Wait, does that also mean you'd hate that:
Spoiler:
?
Impossible! Russian cuisine weeps at this attitude...

Manderley

Postby Manderley » Tue May 06, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Hmm. Wost.

Anyway...
In all likelihood, the worst thing that I can remember eating is hot dogs. Recently, I came off a year.3 of vegetarianism, and started re-introducing myself to meat. I've discovered that I don't really like beef, can stand turkey, and am pretty okay with chicken.

But hot dogs make me want to boil the inside of my mouth.

Pretty much the same with olives, raw spinach, and diner hollendaise sauce.
I self medicate.

With tea.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat May 10, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

RE: Jello
I concur with the consensus....gah!

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:37 am UTC

crowey wrote:oh yes, butter tea is one thing (not my favourite, but at least it doesn't taste of cheese). Sherpa tea is a whole world of wrong.
Mind you, maybe they didn't intend to use off butter, and it just turned out that way.....

either way: wrong wrong wrong.

High calorie content... had it every chance I had when I was trekking in Nepal a few years back. Keeps the tummy warm, and blood flowing.

Can't say anything about how it makes your tongue feel though...
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

Return to “Food”