The. Wost. Thing. You've. Eaten.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

UV_Catastrophe

Re: The. Wost. Thing. You've. Eaten.

Postby UV_Catastrophe » Wed May 21, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Three-year old Doritos. Not Doritos that were a couple of years past their expiration date, mind you. Doritos that had been opened three years ago, stuffed into the pantry, and forgotten.

Three years later, on a hungry afternoon, I delved too deeply into that pantry and released my own culinary balrog. I don't think I can properly describe just how awful those chips tasted... imagine the flavor of dust scraped from the floor of a mouldering tomb. Throw in rancid machine grease from the innermost cogs of some monstrous turbine. Season that with nacho cheese. I very nearly vomited on the spot.

Aside from that... roasted crickets. They were over-spiced, greasy, and fundamentally gross. Plus, I had bits of chitin stuck between my teeth for hours afterward.

On the other hand, I want to speak out in support of cat and dog food. I used to love that stuff. In fact, the only way my parents were able to get me to eat Grape-Nuts as a child was to tell me that it was "cat food cereal".

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 am UTC

So I basically think that tongue is crunchy bologna stuffed in a tripe sock. Now, honestly, I don't have a problem with that, so long as is sliced cross-wise and I can peel off the taste buds. Toss that in some pho with a little tendon, joint fat, and sirloin, and I'm a happy dude.

(Man, I love love love Vietnamese food.)

And also, that corned beef, er, dish, well, it didn't look that bad, either. Looks like a coarse pate, heavy on the aspic. That shit's tasty--the clear crap that comes with pate. It might be Jell-O but I know it doesn't have sugar and is otherwise purified meat concentrate.

Oh, and Anime Dude who doesn't like seafood: in Japan, Vietnam, China, and Korea, (and probably everywhere else in East Asia) when you go to bars, shrimp are the equivalent to chicken wings. Yeah. And they're live, too. You just get a bucket of live shrimp, and it's sort of a game--the drunker you get, the harder it is to catch them, so you eat less and get even drunker.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Thu May 22, 2008 7:45 am UTC

My boyfriend decided to have Menudo at this Mexican restaurant one day. He said you could still taste the former contents.

I've not had anything as adventurous as much of what I've seen on here, but I did have a rather horrible stomach ache after an eating contest with the most random stuff you could think of, including an entire can of tuna (we weren't allowed water to wash it down with) and shots of a mixture of peanut butter and apple sauce.

Also, I agree with Talon that olives and mushrooms are gross. Cream cheese, though, is so good one can eat it straight no problem.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu May 22, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Offtopic: Axman
Well, thanks for word I was searching for earlier: aspic. Deliciousness!
And I am not really an anime guy. It is just this particular 'The King of Fighters' (do kids nowadays know what was that?) character goes in one tone to my brain.
And it is not all seafood. I like all kinds of fish, but that crustacean... leave it to natives...
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu May 22, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

That's cool. Most people who don't like shrimp won't even touch fish, it's sort of a gateway cockroachofthesea. I guess I assumed...

Anyway, I haven't been to an arcade since, well, high school, if you don't count Dave & Buster's. Yeah, I know KOF was (and Vice ruled Iori's shit). I think when you're a kid, you don't notice how creepy arcades are. Now they're creepy and expensive as hell.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu May 22, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Off again
Mmmm, salmon ...
Arcades... filled with bunch of dirty kiddies asking you: "What is there in your pocket, huh?" "Got coins? Gotta share, man!" "You are alone, we are five. Let us play, will you?"
Anyway, arcades died almost instantly once internet cafes with their Quakes and C&Cs appeared...
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Zombor

Postby Zombor » Sat May 24, 2008 3:46 am UTC

i don't know if this entirely qualifies but. . . . liquid cake. i left cake out on the counter for a few weeks and forgot about it. And then saw it one day before class, and was like "CAAAKKEEEE". If you try to lift cake up and it oozes off of the fork, maybe you should throw it away and NOT taste it, save your life and throw it away. Even after brushing my mouth and washing my hands and lower arms 3 times, the entire day it the smell was burned into my sinuses, and I honestly wish I had thrown up. . . multiple times, it might have cleared out the taste from my mouth. And now I cannot eat cake. CANNOT EAT CAKE. NO CAKE.
but the worst edible food was something my grandmother made, faux lobster loaf. a loaf of the fake lobster meat that comes in cans. when she tried it and said that me and my siblings did not have to finish it, we all left the table two seconds after that announcement.
also, stale/crunchy swiss cheese. . . enough said.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun May 25, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Zombor wrote:i don't know if this entirely qualifies but. . . . liquid cake. i left cake out on the counter for a few weeks and forgot about it. And then saw it one day before class, and was like "CAAAKKEEEE". If you try to lift cake up and it oozes off of the fork, maybe you should throw it away and NOT taste it, save your life and throw it away. Even after brushing my mouth and washing my hands and lower arms 3 times, the entire day it the smell was burned into my sinuses, and I honestly wish I had thrown up. . . multiple times, it might have cleared out the taste from my mouth. And now I cannot eat cake. CANNOT EAT CAKE. NO CAKE.
but the worst edible food was something my grandmother made, faux lobster loaf. a loaf of the fake lobster meat that comes in cans. when she tried it and said that me and my siblings did not have to finish it, we all left the table two seconds after that announcement.
also, stale/crunchy swiss cheese. . . enough said.

Don't worry: the cake was a lie anyway.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun May 25, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

I was in Nicaragua, one week into a four-month study tour in Central America, eating breakfast with my roommate. Our host mother fed us some crunchy fried thing, the word for which --"Chicharron"-- we didn't understand. I dropped a piece on the floor and picked it up, thoroughly disgusted at all the dirt that had accumulated on it in the split second it spent on the tile, and also confused because that floor got swept like three times a day. Brushing the food failed to get any of the dirt off, and closer examination revealed that it wasn't dirt. It was hair. Fried pig skin, unshorn. I was made psychosomatically ill for three days. My roommate was legitimately sick for a week. Can't touch pork rinds now.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

I dont recall eating anything that was terribly disgusting but I did eat a brownie covered in ketchup one time as a kid, turned out it was disgusting.

Also my parents would occasionally make Barley soup, called Krupnik in Polish, I guess I was/got sick while eating it once and it made my mind associate illness with that soup. So everytime we had it afterwards I would gag while eating it and me being a little kid my parents thought I was pretending so I wouldnt have to eat it. They forced me to eat it until I threw up, after that no more was made in the house.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Some of the stuff up above are actually pretty good, or at least bearable.

Nasty stuff, thy name is broccoli. Can't stand the stuff.

in another note, When my brothers friends come over to party, they play foosball with a catch: the looser has to eat/drink something that the winner makes up. there have been all sorts of stuff in the cup like coke, diet coke, fanta, cocca puffs, cheetos, wasabi, rice, shoryu (soy sauce), crackers, cake, and whatever else is hanging around. A reason why i never play foosball with them.XP
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

micco

Postby micco » Thu May 29, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

It has to be mämmi. Would you eat stuff that looked like that?
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

beastie

Postby beastie » Fri May 30, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Kendal mint cake. I'll pass out if I ever have that again. It's mint-flavoured sugar :(

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri May 30, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

hideki101 wrote:Nasty stuff, thy name is broccoli. Can't stand the stuff.

Obviously you've never had it steamed and smothered in cheese. If this be the case, you should remedy that immediately.
PRG

An important message for you:

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Fri May 30, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Sugar-Free Cake. Absolutely Horrifying.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri May 30, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

That_one_guy wrote:Sugar-Free Anything. Absolutely Horrifying.

Fix'd.
PRG

An important message for you:

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri May 30, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

beastie wrote:Kendal mint cake. I'll pass out if I ever have that again. It's mint-flavoured sugar :(

Great stuff when sitting on the mini bus back from a hike for your Duke of Edinburgh's award. The idea of being able to eat it while finally being able to have a sit down is what kept me going.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

SherryCQ

Postby SherryCQ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 am UTC

I suppose that a lot of Filipino cuisine (that isn't lumpia, adobo, or pancit) would be acquired taste for people who haven't been raised on it, just because of the intense flavors like in paksiw (fish or meat cooked in vinegar) and sinigaang (soup with tamarind and lemon juice). I've also been surprised to discover that a lot of people find our version of blood stew (diniguan) weird because it's made from intestines cooked in blood and flavored with some chili. All of those things are either childhood favorites of mine or I learned to like them later on, particularly with rice.

I even like those incredibly salty, purple hard-boiled eggs that make people run for the nearest source of potable water. (The trick is to eat it with rice, as my mom told me after I attempted to eat it like a normal egg and almost got sick.)

However, as with many second-generation Filipinos, there is one thing that I will never try again:

Balut. Link deleted - no links before 5 posts.

It's not even because it's a duck fetus (although it is a little scary to see a recognizable shape in that shell). It's just the most DISGUSTING thing I've ever tasted. It's been about twelve years since I first tried it, but I still remember that awful taste. The juice alone tastes like rubber mixed with ground eggshells, and it had that gritty dirt-like aftertaste that made me want to rinse my mouth out--willingly--with soap.

And my parents LOVE IT.

Return to “Food”