The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

Mmm, Buffalo Trace. But real Coca Cola would be better to mix it with.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:09 am UTC

Stop ruining good bourbon. :D

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:Kraken + Drambuie in equal parts is surprisingly good.

I might have to try this now.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Stop ruining good bourbon. :D
I had a good sip, and that was quite nice. But I'm not really up for drinking a glass of bourbon by itself.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 am UTC

Tried some tsipouro (Greek raki, which is made differently than the more commonly know Turkish raki) the the other night. It's not bad. The closest description of the flavor that I can think of would be to say that it's like ouzo, but without the anise flavor. Really it's not quite like any other liquor I've had. I brought it back from Athens this past summer and only got around to trying it now. The specific brand was Tsipouro Tirnavou. Something I'd definitely like to try again, but I don't know where I'd even go about trying to find it.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

Random-person

Postby Random-person » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Random-person wrote:Can anyone think of something to dilute with without making it taste like water? Preferably non-alcoholic (eg. cheaper). I really don't think that soda will work with absinthe...

You're drinking SHOTS of absinthe? Absinthe should be sipped.

Anyway, was your water filtered at all or was it just nasty tasting tap water? Because if you didn't use good water that may have been your problem.

Absinthe is also good in pineapple/orange juice mixtures.

Doing shots is the only way I'm ever going to get rid of the last few centiliters of my bottle of Libertine 72...

Aanyway, I tried the Duplais Verte bottle with water, and... yes, that's how absinthe should taste! I think that my original mishap was due to the alcohol being horrible in combination with low quality tap water.

I've intrigued some of my friends as well. I'm soon (≈1 month) going to import some absinthe with a (cheap) fountain and some glasses and spoons for my university section's klubbmästeri. It's going to be awesome, we are going to be the only (I think?) student pub in Stockholm who sells good absinthe being prepared the way it's supposed to be prepared! :)

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:31 am UTC

So my epic quest to find a single malt that I like kicked off tonight with a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo. While it's definitely one I'll come back to, I don't think it has what it takes to be "the one" :).

Oddly enough with it's famous flavour, were it a cheaper whiskey destined for mixing, I'd say that it's much too sweet.

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

My quest basically began and ended with Glenlivet 12. Just excellent stuff.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:So my epic quest to find a single malt that I like kicked off tonight with a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo. While it's definitely one I'll come back to, I don't think it has what it takes to be "the one" :).

Oddly enough with it's famous flavour, were it a cheaper whiskey destined for mixing, I'd say that it's much too sweet.

See if you can get hold of Glen Ord or Knockando. Different to an Islay style, especially Knockando which is less immediate but to my taste more sophisticated.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 am UTC

lewismd wrote:My quest basically began and ended with Glenlivet 12. Just excellent stuff.

I love Glenlivet. I've been out of whiskey for a while, might be time to make a trip to the store. Have you tried any of their older ones? 15? 18?

I'd love to one day say I've tried a whiskey that's older than myself. I'm 24 now, so I probably haven't got long to do that without spending a ridiculous amount.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
lewismd wrote:My quest basically began and ended with Glenlivet 12. Just excellent stuff.

I love Glenlivet. I've been out of whiskey for a while, might be time to make a trip to the store. Have you tried any of their older ones? 15? 18?

I'd love to one day say I've tried a whiskey that's older than myself. I'm 24 now, so I probably haven't got long to do that without spending a ridiculous amount.

Personally I find that glenlivet really improves going with the older ones, 15 is the the minimum age I would buy, since the price isn't that much higher than the 12 year, but the taste gets much more impressive.

I've tried a couple of different whisky's that are older than I am, and as a general rule I don't find them worth it. It's fun, and all the ones I've tried really does taste great, but I would rather go with a younger one, and get two bottles.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 am UTC

A great way to try the ludicrously expensive whiskies without bankrupting yourself is to start a 'whisky night' with some friends. Have a buy in of $15 or so, and put it all towards a single fancy-pants bottle. The more people you can get buying in, the more money you have, and the more ridiculously awesome whisky you can try.

You can start with basic ideas, do theme nights (one from each Scotch region, verticals from a single distillery, or whatever you like) or you can just go all out for that one expensive bottle (25 year old Lagavulin distillers edition).

Most of the time the expensive things taste good, but not nearly good enough to justify the exorbitant costs. Spread it around a crowd though...

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:A great way to try the ludicrously expensive whiskies without bankrupting yourself is to start a 'whisky night' with some friends. Have a buy in of $15 or so, and put it all towards a single fancy-pants bottle. The more people you can get buying in, the more money you have, and the more ridiculously awesome whisky you can try.

You can start with basic ideas, do theme nights (one from each Scotch region, verticals from a single distillery, or whatever you like) or you can just go all out for that one expensive bottle (25 year old Lagavulin distillers edition).

Most of the time the expensive things taste good, but not nearly good enough to justify the exorbitant costs. Spread it around a crowd though...

I'm in. This is totally happening with me and my friends.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 am UTC

That's not a bad idea, mercutio. I've got a couple friends who like drinking Scotch, so I can see what I can do. I can only think of 2 others off the top of my head, but I'm sure we can find more.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Ulc wrote:
Personally I find that glenlivet really improves going with the older ones, 15 is the the minimum age I would buy, since the price isn't that much higher than the 12 year, but the taste gets much more impressive.

The 18 is so good... I am drinking first time right now. :D
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 am UTC

So, in keeping with the idea of a Whisky Club, it turns out I'm hosting in a month. I have at my fingertips a $500 budget or so (didn't I say this was a great idea?), and an idea to do a tasting of American craft distillers.

I'm thinking about doing a 'scotch' sampler, including Tuthiltown , Clear Creek, St. George. Thing is, I still have a bunch of money left over, any suggestions?

BTW, Anchor Distillery's spirits have already been sampled (they were wonderful), as have the Rogue whisky (not so wonderful)

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

Right, I need some advice. I now have two rather nice two litre glass bottles sitting in my room that had previously contained scrumpy. I have decided to get some corks, sugar, fruit and gin and try and make some form of fruit gin. I know the method and the basic quantities of ingredients, what I don't know is what fruit to use. The only ideas I've seen are Sloes, Blackberrys and Rasberrys all of which are autumnal fruits in the UK, and it is currently the end of february so aren't exactly in season. But if I make it now it should be ready at the end of may/start of june when all my exams are over, can then be drunk over the summer in time to make some sloe gin when sloes are once again available which should then be ready at christmas time, so I mayy as well make something while waiting for the regular fruits to come back in season.

So xkcd liquor drinkers, what fruit do you suggest I gin-ify? Two suggestions would be ideal so I can try something different in each bottle.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

Gooseberry gin! Just for the hell of it. (And for "spiked punch" puns)
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:39 am UTC

I wonder if something tropical might work. Pineapple + Cherry would make it like a Singapore Sling...

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 am UTC

I think citrus works well with gin. Lime is what's generally used in G&Ts, so howbout orange?

Blackberry gin might be interesting, and also purpleish!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 am UTC

Just bought a bottle of Jameson 12 year the other day. I like it. I'd gone in to the store intending to buy a regular bottle of Jameson and noticed that the 12 year was less than $10 more (it cost me about $35 after tax). It still has the distinctive Jameson taste, but it's a lot smoother than regular Jameson. Considering the difference in price is pretty negligible, I might never buy a bottle of regular Jameson again.

PictureSarah wrote:Blackberry gin might be interesting, and also purpleish!

Right now that's sounding very tasty, so it has my vote.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I think citrus works well with gin. Lime is what's generally used in G&Ts, so howbout orange?

Blackberry gin might be interesting, and also purpleish!

I've been doing cucumber a lot lately in G&Ts.

Blackberry sounds pretty good for this though. I am thinking of lychees, though. I might have to try this with lychees at some point. What sort of ratios do you use for trying to infuse gin?

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

Well for vodka I find 10 peppercorns to be sufficient.

Speaking of clear liquor, I've had a bear of a time finding poitín in Korea. Soju aplenty, to be sure, but it's not quite the same.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:What sort of ratios do you use for trying to infuse gin?

1/3 kg of Sugar, 1/3 kg of berries, 1.5 litres of gin, scale as appropriate. That makes a drink that doesn't taste much like gin though, if you want to keep the gin then it'd be different I expect.

And my gin infusing experiment has been put on hold somewhat, in going to buy some corks for the bottles I got talking to the lady in the home-brewing shop and ended up walking out with nealy £50 of alcohol making equipment in addition to the two 20p corks I went it to buy, so good saleswomenship. But yeah, rather than spending £40 on the 4 liters of gin I'd need, I'm instead going to try and make 20 liters of 14% alcohol here for much the same price (and far less in subsequent uses now I have the equimpment). Unfortunately our house is a bit cold for brewing at the moment so I won't be making any for a few weeks unless I can convince the housemates to have the heating on more, but still, wish me luck.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

... Or further lower the heat and try lagering?

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 am UTC

Coffee wrote:Well for vodka I find 10 peppercorns to be sufficient.

Speaking of clear liquor, I've had a bear of a time finding poitín in Korea. Soju aplenty, to be sure, but it's not quite the same.

I thought poitín was Irish. I've never seen it myself even here in the States, but I also haven't actively sought it out.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:04 am UTC

It is Irish. And I still can't find it over here in Korea.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 am UTC

It may just be one of those things that's very hard to find except near the country of origin. For example, I can go to the local liquor store here in the U.S. and find ouzo and retsina with relative ease. Maybe if I'm lucky, some Metaxa. But I've never seen tsipouro (tsikouda/"Greek raki") outside of Greece.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Von Haus wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:. Unfortunately our house is a bit cold for brewing at the moment so I won't be making any for a few weeks unless I can convince the housemates to have the heating on more, but still, wish me luck.

Coffee has the right idea, the conditions you have should dictate the alcohol you produce, but if it is cold enough to lager a beer, then you might be justified in turning up the heat.

And 14% is somewhat optimistic for a first try, getting a fermentation to go that far can take a bit of finesse. It might be wise to start with something a bit more conventional.

I assume you're talking about brewing a beer, in which case I would recommend starting with a heavily flavoured West Coast IPA. The loads of hops and high (relatively) alcohol content makes them rather resistant to spoilage due to poor hygiene, which perhaps is why they are the poster brew of the craft beer movement.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:02 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
Coffee wrote:Speaking of clear liquor, I've had a bear of a time finding poitín in Korea. Soju aplenty, to be sure, but it's not quite the same.

I thought poitín was Irish. I've never seen it myself even here in the States, but I also haven't actively sought it out.

I wasn't even sure poitín was legal again. I think you might have trouble finding it just about anywhere. Chinese Baiju might be a reasonable substitute. Either way you're going to be getting a coarsely distilled grain alcohol that will pack one hell of a wallop.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

It's legal. There's currently two legitimate producers. And lots and lots of not so legitimate ones...

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:I assume you're talking about brewing a beer, in which case I would recommend starting with a heavily flavoured West Coast IPA. The loads of hops and high (relatively) alcohol content makes them rather resistant to spoilage due to poor hygiene, which perhaps is why they are the poster brew of the craft beer movement.

Just straight alcoholic water actually. Basically I went to get some corks for making fruit gin, realised for the price of the gin I could alternatively try to make a much vaster quantity of (addmitedly lesser strength) alcohol and then be also set up for making much cheaper wine, more alcohol for flavouring, or beer afterwards.(with a little bit of extra equipment for the latter I think, I didn't look in to it that closely...)
But yes, I am about as new to the home production concept as I could be at the moment, but I am learning!
I'm also UK based so not sure I'd have access to a West Coast IPA but I will look for something similar to start with when I start trying to make beer. Thanks.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:03 am UTC

Anyone have some good cheap to moderately priced scotch recommendations?

I saw that McClelland's and Famous Grouse were recommendations, but can't seem to find either around here. I happen to hate Johnny Walker and Dewars... so I might just be out off luck.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Anyone have some good cheap to moderately priced scotch recommendations?

I saw that McClelland's and Famous Grouse were recommendations, but can't seem to find either around here. I happen to hate Johnny Walker and Dewars... so I might just be out off luck.

For cheap Scotch I recommend Ballantine's Finest. Here are some words I once arranged in order to describe it, but there's no need to click on that link. The only important parts are the tasting notes, which I'll simply reproduce here so you won't have to dig through nonsense and because I'm embarrassed of my lack of writing ability.
Spoiler:
Appearance
Golden wheat with a hint of orange. It certainly looks like a mostly young blend.

Aroma
Malty sweetness with smoke and peat. Maybe a hint of earth.
The slightest hint of orange zest. There's some smoke sitting next to the orange zest, but less than I would have imagined.
Potentially a hint of spice. "Potentially" is the operative word here.

Taste
Upfront malty sweetness with a strong smoke and peat taste.
Leather finish with a bit of spice.
I seem to be noticing hints of salt that I've never picked up before. But I usually drink this stuff like water, so I tend not to notice anything except that the room is spinning and how sexy you are.
The finish is overall pretty good, but it doesn't last very long.

Smoke, peat, and earth and exactly what I expect from Scotch.

Texture
Due to my love of drinking liquor straight, I tend to have a pretty high resilience to alcohol burn. As is such, it is somewhat difficult for me to properly relate the level of alcohol burn.
That said, I think this whisky is smooth enough to drink straight. Although it does burn a little, it's generally very mild.
There's also an unpleasant greasy texture, but that may be the result of that cheap beef stew that I had for dinner (which was pretty good after I seasoned it properly).

The body is a little heavier than a fully light-bodied whisky.

Here in metro Atlanta I've seen it go for as little as $11 to as much as $18. Compared to other blended Scotches, I'd say that it's worth $18 and around $14 it becomes a value. If you can find it for $11 then there's no reason to not try it. It tends to be pretty versatile, so you should be able to find something enjoyable to do with it. But don't use the cocktail recipes from the distiller's website, those recipes all suck.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:I happen to hate Johnny Walker

Which, specifically? You probably mean red and black, but if you've only tried red, try black.

Green is really good but not moderately priced, so.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

Which, specifically? You probably mean red and black, but if you've only tried red, try black.

Errr.... Red. I haven't had black(I've had blue, which was excellent, but completely unaffordable for daily drinking) but even that looks a little too expensive for what I am looking for. My goal is 1 liter for under $30, which I understand might not be feasible. I can get a decent vodka for around $30 a liter and if possible would like to replace that with scotch.

@Mr Mack: I will have to try that, thanks.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:21 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:

Errr.... Red. I haven't had black(I've had blue, which was excellent, but completely unaffordable for daily drinking) but even that looks a little too expensive for what I am looking for. My goal is 1 liter for under $30, which I understand might not be feasible. I can get a decent vodka for around $30 a liter and if possible would like to replace that with scotch.

@Mr Mack: I will have to try that, thanks.

For scotch, when you compromise price, you're usually compromising quality. You might be able to find a decent scotch for under $30 for a 750ml bottle, but finding a decent scotch for 1 liter under $30 is going to be tough.

For a decent scotch, you should expect to pay $40-$50 for a 750ml if you're looking at moderately priced stuff and you can find a lot that's good in that price range.

Even Jameson's 12 year (which is Irish whiskey, not scotch), is $35 a bottle. I've stopped looking for cheap scotch because every time I've tried a random one under $30, I've been sorely disappointed. You really do get what you pay for with scotch (up to a certain point, after which price becomes almost meaningless).

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

$35 a bottle? a 750ml bottle? They're under $18 at our class six. Same size glenlivet is $32.95 iirc.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

If you can't find black in your price range, I guess them's the breaks, but don't judge all of Johnny Walker by red label, which is a mixing spirit. I wouldn't expect anyone with a taste for quality whisky to enjoy red label neat. (To be honest, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about black label either, since getting into single malts; but I'd still say it's worth drinking neat.)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

Black is still a 'needs ice' scotch in my book. Or maybe just barely past that line?

I'd point you to Famous Grouse, but it looks like that's already been done.

Return to “Food”