The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:Personally, I find it hard to pick rum as opposed to, say, whiskey since there is less that's obviously different between brands (AFAICT). What Rums would you recommend in the middle price range? (which to me means $15-40 US) ... And I'd be looking for a go-to standard for mixers (primarily coke for rum), and more complex rum based cocktails.
Ok, if you're mixing with Coke, Appleton Extra (~$12), because let's be honest; you're drinking it because it tastes like coke. If you're mixing with ginger ale (Schweppes is better) and a lime, either the Extra (lighter) or Lemon Hart Demerara ($16, heavier), but it's significantly harder to find. For either coke or ginger ale, Flor de Cana 7 (~$15) works too. Now if you want one step up the flavor ladder to a dark & stormy, find a good ginger beer and Goslings (~$20), although I've heard good things about Cruzan's Blackstrap too -- Myer's really isn't the right flavor profile for much beyond baking or careful addition to punch.

Speaking of punches (or other fruity concoctions) most are done with a base of white and a float of oaked (but not dark like Goslings) -- and typically aren't too particular with what the white is, because the fruit juice mix is covering it up pretty thoroughly. Most of these can be done (for most drinkers who won't/can't tell the difference) with a distillery like Mount Gay (skip Bacardi, they're a marketing monster macro) to say a few bucks. A few bucks that you should then spend on a decent oaked to float, since that's where most of the rum flavor is going to come from -- and all of the nose.

Want to make a mojito that isn't boring? Use the Lemon Hart and actual demerara sugar. Or just an oaked like Flor with brown sugar.

distractedSofty wrote:I'd also love some recommendations for rums to drink straight, but that wasn't my original question. I could easily justify more expensive bottles for that.

From merely the previous page:
Azrael wrote:I imagine that people are tired of hearing me say this, but the only premium top shelf rum you ever need to buy is Ron Zacapa 23.
Typically runs $35-40. It's pretty much game over. Also try Appleton 12 if you can't find the Zacapa, but only if you can find it for <$30, or else it's not worth the tag.

If dubsola is around, he's got a favorite that I'm blanking on at the moment -- oh yeah, El Dorado 12 or 21. But those are significantly more expensive.

Роберт wrote:
Azrael wrote:ALSO: Morgan's makes shitty rum and don't deserve all this time and attention, nomenclature confusion aside.

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not great. The tattoo stuff they made was okay, too, probably better, depending on my mood.

Yes, it is terrible. It's watery, acidic, tastes like fake caramel and christmas spices, has a terrible nose and more burn than the ABV should. It's shit rum that they dope full of junk to try to get college students and the "mixed drink equals coke + booze" set to buy it. When the marketing thrust isn't that the rum tastes good, but that they've got a cool mascot you know something's wrong (see shit beer and "cold").

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Azrael wrote: When the marketing thrust isn't that the rum tastes good, but that they've got a cool mascot you know something's wrong (see shit beer and "cold").
I totally agree here. I guess I have different standards for terrible. Terrible = McCormicks vodka (or pretty much anything that comes in plastic). Terrible = I would not likely accept it if offered free.

If someone offered me Captain Morgan free, I'd likely accept. (Although, as I mentioned, it's not that great.)
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:let's be honest; you're drinking it because it tastes like coke.

Actually, I'd say it's because it's the only thing that lasts long enough to be a mixer. If I found a "good ginger beer" there's no way I could buy enough to have more than half a dark and stormy when I felt like it.

Azrael wrote:
Azrael wrote:I imagine that people are tired of hearing me say this, but the only premium top shelf rum you ever need to buy is Ron Zacapa 23.
Typically runs $35-40.

I actually saw that, but didn't bother to look it up because with that "23" in the name, I was assuming it'd be $90+. I see that it's $49 in Washington: if you feel that strongly about it, I might have to give it a shot.

It looks like my choices for El Dorado locally are 15 and 21. Is the 15 worth it?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

I also like Hurricane but don't think you can get it outside of New England.
Last edited by Bakemaster on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:I actually saw that, but didn't bother to look it up because with that "23" in the name, I was assuming it'd be $90+. I see that it's $49 in Washington: if you feel that strongly about it, I might have to give it a shot.
Ouch, your prices are steep. But consider for a moment that it's been pretty much banned from tasting competitions (i.e. promoted into a competition's Hall of Fame) because it just kept winning.

It looks like my choices for El Dorado locally are 15 and 21. Is the 15 worth it?
I love me some demerara rum, so maybe. How bad is the price?

And do your taste buds a favor and go buy a couple 20oz bottle of ginger ale (I really think Schweppes is the better choice) and try mixing any oaked rum (not white) with those instead of coke. You can even be all classy and squeeze a lime wedge in there.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Ouch, your prices are steep. But consider for a moment that it's been pretty much banned from tasting competitions (i.e. promoted into a competition's Hall of Fame) because it just kept winning.

You've convinced me: I've been looking for a bit of variation, so I'll pick up a bottle on my way home tonight.

As an Australian transplant, though I know the prices are high relative to what they could be, my feel is always that I've gotten a great deal: last year there was one trip to the liquor store where I "splurged" and bought like 10 different spirits, and still only paid $140. I felt like I had to leave the shop as quick as I could before they realised they hadn't charged me enough.

I love me some demerara rum, so maybe. How bad is the price?

The 15 is $53. And, like just about everything you suggested (other than the Zacapa and the Cruzan Blackstrap), it would require a trip into Seattle. Which might explain why I have not been inspired by the selection I've seen at liquor stores closer to me.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 am UTC

I wanted to share something with everyone:

It's my Mad Men style mini-bar in my apartment. I just wish I had a better camera so you could actually make out everything that's there.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

That's really neat! I've wanted to do something similar for a while, but I never really found what I was looking for (at least for less than ~$300). The top of my fridge is pretty much at capacity right now, though, so I'll need to do something soon! That looks like a decent solution on a budget.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Was pretty hot here last week so got some Effen Cucumber Vodka and mixed it heavily diluted with tonic/water. As long as you dilute it well enough (1/20th of the glass actual vodka) it's really refreshing.
Last edited by Telchar on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:Was pretty hot hear last week so got some Effen Cucumber Vodka and mixed it heavily diluted with tonic/water. As long as you dilute it well enough (1/20th of the glass actual vodka) it's really refreshing.

I prefer a gin and tonic with a slice or two of cucumber in it, personally. But cucumbers are damn refreshing...

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

So. I recently got some Angostura Bitters and made myself some Old Fashioned variations. Other suggestions for cocktails involving this yummy little bottle? :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:51 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:So. I recently got some Angostura Bitters and made myself some Old Fashioned variations. Other suggestions for cocktails involving this yummy little bottle? :mrgreen:
Classic champagne cocktail, pegu club, manhattan, pink gin. For alternative suggestions, Drinkboy is my go-to site for cocktail information.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:So. I recently got some Angostura Bitters and made myself some Old Fashioned variations. Other suggestions for cocktails involving this yummy little bottle? :mrgreen:
Classic champagne cocktail, pegu club, manhattan, pink gin. For alternative suggestions, Drinkboy is my go-to site for cocktail information.

That's a bookmark! Thanks! :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Is this the future?
Attachments
on the.jpg
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:11 am UTC

Only if it is available exactly like that in a supermarket.

I'm drinking my first glass of ouzo. Apparently it gets a lot of hate, but I love it. But I put anise seed in everything.

/has had a fourth glass of ouzo, and still thinks it was worth it

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:Is this the future?

in a word, no. :lol:

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:I'm drinking my first glass of ouzo. Apparently it gets a lot of hate, but I love it. But I put anise seed in everything.

Ouzo is lovely stuff, alot better then Sambuca

Recently tried Stella Artios Cidre. Absolutely beautiful
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

Not liquor, but I did kinda like it. My GF said it tasted of beer though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:32 am UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:I'm drinking my first glass of ouzo. Apparently it gets a lot of hate, but I love it. But I put anise seed in everything.

Ouzo is lovely stuff, alot better then Sambuca

Recently tried Stella Artios Cidre. Absolutely beautiful

Pastis are my personal choice; to be perfectly honest though, most anise flavored beverages taste pretty similar. French does seem cooler than Greek though.

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Discovered Sloe Gin last night, it makes me so happy. Not usually a fan of fruity things but it's so delightfully sour I'm going to have to get myself a bottle.

On ouzo I've had it a few times but only in bootleg form never actually heard of anyone buying it. Like most things boot legged it tasted like metho.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:23 am UTC

The Ardbeg Supernova, I just missed my chance to buy a bottle. Anyone else want to make me jealous?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Picked up a bottle of Menorcan Gin during my stay on the island - with half already drunk I think the rest will go just as nicely :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

I am...actually drinking wine. I don't know how the crap that happened.

Wait, yes, I do. I was at the liquor store and there was a wine-tasting, and someone shoved some really inexpensive Cameron Hughs meritage red at me, and it was goddamn delicious, so I bought a bottle.

And then more. And then some of their merlot. Long story short I drank three bottles of wine this weekend. I do not drink wine. I do not understand wine. I spent all the skillpoints one uses to understand wine on beer. What is happening to my world.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

I'm trying to identify a wine which was served at a dinner I was at a few weeks ago. What I got from the name is that it was a Sancerre Burgeoise, but there was also a 3rd word in between those which I would need to identify it completely. The way I heard it was "agri". But then again the original way I heard the name was "Sanser Agri Borboss" (google has helped partly on the way to getting it right at least). Thing is, I can't find anything that fits completely with the "agri"-part. It was a white wine, extremely good with lime and salmon, only white wine I've ever touched that didn't leave my tongue hairy.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

It was a white wine, extremely good with lime and salmon

Oh hey let me know what that is when you figure it out.

Edit: wait, after googling, is it possible the word you're missing is "Henri"? (generally pronounced "Ahn-Ree" because french)

They/them

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

Was it this? The site's location-aware, and gives the price as 167UAH, which is a little more than $20.

Way more than I've ever spend for wine here - alcohol is super-cheap here, but most Ukr./CIS-produced wine is insanely sweet - but reasonable for the US.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 am UTC

I mentioned Stroh 80 a while back, and AFK Tavern makes a drink it's absolutely delightful in: they call it Ma Deuce (well named) and it's a shot of Stroh in a glass of hot cocoa. Stings a little but if you notice that by the time you're done you didn't add enough Stroh.

Belial wrote:I spent all the skillpoints one uses to understand wine on beer. What is happening to my world.

Once you spend enough skillpoints to understand the finer things in beer (like, Belgian strong darks) they begin to spill over to red wine.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:52 am UTC

So what you're saying is that there's some kind of synergy bonus

My world makes sense in context again.

They/them

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Oh my, yes.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:I mentioned Stroh 80 a while back,

Did you know they make Stroh everything? I was in Austria years ago, and there was Stroh 10 right up to Stroh 90, all on this giant wall of rum, in every size from a miniature up to a litre for each ABV. It was a great deal of booze in one place.

Belial wrote:meritage red

I know you probably googled or were told this or just already know it, but anyway: Meritage is basically Bordeaux, but made in America. Since you're a graduate-with-honours from taste bud bootcamp, you need to get yourself some seriously good Bordeaux. It'll be drier and more tannic than the Mercun version, but a good rare steak will easily fix that. It's so amazingly good, but at the same time, very unapproachable, so often dismissed by non-wine peeps. It is so, so good, though.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

I did not actually know that, I am still very new to wine. I just liked the weirdly creamy taste on the meritage. The merlot was a lot clearer and crisper. And both were really good with pasta and calzones. This is the width and breadth of my wine knowledge.

I may try the bordeaux, but if it's as...inaccessible as you say, I may need to work up to it.

They/them

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

semicharmed wrote:Was it this? The site's location-aware, and gives the price as 167UAH, which is a little more than $20.

Way more than I've ever spend for wine here - alcohol is super-cheap here, but most Ukr./CIS-produced wine is insanely sweet - but reasonable for the US.

Hard to tell, don't know what that one would go under over here. As far as I can tell it has to be one of these three. Seeing as those are the ones you can actually buy here, so I guess I'll just have to test out all three to figure out which one it was.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I may try the bordeaux, but if it's as...inaccessible as you say, I may need to work up to it.

Well, the very good stuff is very expensive. I don't have a clue what prices are like in the States, but everywhere else Bordeaux ranks near the top in terms of price at whatever quality level, and you really need to spend the money to get the benefit. The cheaper stuff is actually very good, but unflinchingly old-world, so will be far drier than American wines. That's the part most people find unapproachable, much like people who can't get into a decent Scotch because of the alcohol burn. It's also by a good stretch the most complicated appellation in the world, and I don't usually approach it without the advice of a well informed salesperson. There are just too many permutations for anyone to know them all. You could fill a decent sized wine book with just maps of Bordeaux, without troubling yourself trying to describe the actual wines. All that said, the grapes, elevage and supposed ideal outcome for a Meritage are the same as a Bordeaux, only the terroir and the taste of the winemaker differ. But there's a thread for all this somewhere else...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Oh Cinzano extra dry, how I have missed your taste...especially with this huge bottle of (non-cheap) gin (that isn't brokers but I didn't see they had it).

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:42 am UTC

So, I was at an acquaintance's the other and they said something along the lines of "Johnny Walker isn't actually Scotch, people like to think it is but real Scotch drinker's know it isn't." The conversation moved on before I got a chance to question about this, so I'm asking you guys. Is this something that is actually true that I didn't know about, and if so why isn't it Scotch? Or is this just somebody being pretentious and "oohh, I don't drink anything that isn't single malt."
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:49 am UTC

Pretentious git.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote: "Johnny Walker isn't actually Scotch, people like to think it is but real Scotch drinker's know it isn't."
So this is a "No True Scotch Drinker" argument, then?

Johnnie Walker is Scotch, it fits the definition of Scotch just fine. My personal experience is that Johnnie Walker Red is way overpriced and the flavor isn't very strong, and their higher end products are outside my budget, but that doesn't mean it isn't Scotch. It just means that it's Scotch that doesn't appeal to people who don't like to overpay for Scotch.
I feel like there's some stereotype I should be invoking here for a laugh, but I can't for the life of me think of what it is.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:So, I was at an acquaintance's the other and they said something along the lines of "Johnny Walker isn't actually Scotch, people like to think it is but real Scotch drinker's know it isn't." The conversation moved on before I got a chance to question about this, so I'm asking you guys. Is this something that is actually true that I didn't know about, and if so why isn't it Scotch? Or is this just somebody being pretentious and "oohh, I don't drink anything that isn't single malt."

It's scotch, anyone saying differently should be ridiculed.

Now, saying that it's horrible overpriced for the quality compared to other scotch is entirely correct, and even the black label isn't a very good scotch.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:It just means that it's Scotch that doesn't appeal to people who don't like to overpay for Scotch.

It's just like any of the mass marketed liquors, the price tag has to include the marketing and brand recognition efforts; you're paying for qualities that are not inherent in the liquor.

That being said, it's still scotch. It's just the Jack Daniels of scotch. If you were looking at Red label, go buy a bottle of Famous Grouse for half the cost. And I'm not sure I have a go-to in the Black price-point except a larger bottle of Famous Grouse. By the time you hit the price range of the rest, I'd rather spend my money on a funky single malt.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

Heh, over here Famous Grouse is mass-market, more so than Johnnie Walker. Mostly because it's cheaper I'd guess.

Return to “Food”