The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

clintonius

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby clintonius » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:26 am UTC

Dream wrote:You tried, but you did it wrong...

In a year and a half selling whisky in Edinburgh, every Scottish person pronounced it "Glenfiddie" or very close to that. "Tch" was how most foreigners pronounced it, and "ch" as in loch I never heard except from people giving Scottish pronunciation their first try.

Dammit! But I got my information from the internet!

(Specifically from a web site based at the U of Edinburgh, where I'd have assumed they knew what they were doing. Is it possible that "Glenfiddie" is more of a nickname, or that the hard "ch" is somewhat quiet at the end?)

[/holding on to the hope of knowing something Felstaff doesn't]
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:36 am UTC

More likely its an accent thing, where the last syllable is unstressed to the point of being almost silent.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 am UTC

I think that as long as you get what you want all is well
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Dream wrote:In a year and a half selling whiskey in Edinburgh, every Scottish person pronounced it "Glenfiddie" or very close to that.

They say that because they don't know, either. How to get around saying it wrong? Don't say it. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

I bought a fifth of Plymouth's Gin last night. First things first, that stuff is expensive! Now that I have that out of the way, now that I have tried it I can understand why. It is extremely pleasant. Thanks to those who recommended it.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

nsmjohn wrote:I bought a fifth of Plymouth's Gin last night. First things first, that stuff is expensive! Now that I have that out of the way, now that I have tried it I can understand why. It is extremely pleasant. Thanks to those who recommended it.

That's a shame, I'm still hurting over the fact that I can't get it for 15 bucks a liter anymore.

clintonius wrote:Oh, and Cruzan black strap wins at life. $15 for a bottle, and you can pour it on your pancakes. And it gives you weird dreams. I find that to be a plus.

I know! Freaking awesome.

I bought Peychauds bitters last night. What should I make, guys?
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Matt wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:I bought a fifth of Plymouth's Gin last night. First things first, that stuff is expensive! Now that I have that out of the way, now that I have tried it I can understand why. It is extremely pleasant. Thanks to those who recommended it.

That's a shame, I'm still hurting over the fact that I can't get it for 15 bucks a liter anymore.

Wait... $15 a liter?! I paid $30(us) for .75. Oh, inflation, thou art a heartless bitch.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:06 am UTC

TallMax wrote:I had some cheap absinthe, and I really want to lay down $100 for a nice bottle.

It's well worth it. Well, I don't know anything about your financial status, or anything, but I would be willing to forgo many luxuries to save up for nice absinthe. If I were poor.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Matt wrote:I bought Peychauds bitters last night. What should I make, guys?

Sazeracs

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
Dream wrote:In a year and a half selling whiskey in Edinburgh, every Scottish person pronounced it "Glenfiddie" or very close to that.

They say that because they don't know, either. How to get around saying it wrong? Don't say it. :)

Actually, all other other types of whiskey are spelled with an e, but if it's Scotch it's spelled "whisky"

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:Actually, all other other types of whiskey are spelled with an e, but if it's Scotch it's spelled "whisky"

Scotch or Canadian.
Maker's Mark also uses the Scottish spelling, but no one listens to them.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Ah. Canadian/Rye whisk(e)y is pretty much off my radar, but that's interesting

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:02 am UTC

I tried Maker's Mark at the bar a week or two ago when I was out with my sister, figuring maybe if someone buys the stuff they'll stop with the retarded faux-Boston-accent ads all over the subway. Now, I was a couple beers in at the time, but I couldn't shake the weird feeling that I was tasting something celery-like. I kept thinking of soup. But it was definitely sweeter than scotch, which always brings to mind pears.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't scotch. I've found the Laphroiag Quarter Cask at a couple liquor stores near me, but I'm waiting to buy it when I'm in New Hampshire to save some money.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Crown Royal Rye/Whiskey is the absolute most delicious alcohol you will ever drink in your life. Brewed exclusively in Gimli, Manitoba, Canada, my hometown. I have an unopened Texas Mickey (3 litres) and a little bit of a 2-6 sitting in my room. Crown and Coke is the best drink ever.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

I lack sufficient energy to properly educate you. Suffice it to say ... No.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:I lack sufficient energy to properly educate you. Suffice it to say ... No.

Apparently the internet shorthand "QFT" is frowned upon in these fora, so I'm kinda doing it the long way.

codyhotel. . . christ man! Haven't you ever tried a single malt? Or even a small batch bourbon? Or, for that matter, pretty much ANY bourbon?
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

I'm not sure what quantum field theory has to do with it, but I have to agree with those that disagree. :)

I can understand and forgive the hometown product bias, hell, I've met people from St. Louis that think Budweiser is actually the king of beers. However, Crown Royal doesn't make my list of top 2,000 whiskeys, and probably wouldn't make my top 10 of Canadian oak-sweated stills. I like a lot of Canadian whiskys for the price, but Crown is one of the worst whiskys per dollar that I've encountered. Not that it's bad, it's just boring, plain, and expensive.
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

RUM! Who else enjoys it? I'm partial to various forms of dark rum, can't stand white rum though.

I'm going to mention Havana Club, because it's delicious and unavailable to the Americans 8)

Mount Gay Eclipse is one of my favourites - I think. It's gathered a reputation in my circle for erasing memory. Still, nothing as bad as when I tried Tequila. I could feel my memory of the night fading after I drank it.

EDIT: I see I missed the posts about rum already in this thread, so please change my question to: "RUM! Who else still enjoys it?"

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:
Azrael wrote:I lack sufficient energy to properly educate you. Suffice it to say ... No.

Apparently the internet shorthand "QFT" is frowned upon in these fora, so I'm kinda doing it the long way.

codyhotel. . . christ man! Haven't you ever tried a single malt? Or even a small batch bourbon? Or, for that matter, pretty much ANY bourbon?

i've tried a couple kinds of bourbon, don't remember which, didn't really like them that much.

...sorry.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:I can understand and forgive the hometown product bias, hell, I've met people from St. Louis that think Budweiser is actually the king of beers..

I can't be the only one laughing giddily at all this "boycott Bud" shit going around now that a Belgian company is going to be buying them out, can I?

Seriously, Sam Adams should jump on this shit and run a campaign to teach the people who've stopped drinking Budweiser what real beer tastes like

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:RUM! Who else enjoys it? I'm partial to various forms of dark rum, can't stand white rum though.

Rum is certainly fun. I'm a little peeved at finding that my favorite rum brand, Cruzan, has been purchased by Absolut, and they're no longer aging the base light and amber rums for 2 years anymore. Apparently they're repurposing it to compete with all the other shit everybody else sells, so that means making it horrible first, obviously.

Everybody, I'm serious. If you actually LIKE rum, and by that I mean not spiced rum or weird frozen syrup drinks, go and buy up as much Cruzan as you can that explicitly says "Aged for 2 years" on the bottle. It's still the best value in liquor today; there is no shame in drinking it straight, and it only costs about 11 dollars a fifth in the united states. This will not last.

On another, more encouraging note, Haus Alpenz is now producing OLD TOM GIN alongside their exhaustive selection of previously unavailable cocktail ingredients. Hurrah!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Matt wrote:
the_stabbage wrote:RUM! Who else enjoys it? I'm partial to various forms of dark rum, can't stand white rum though.

Rum is certainly fun. I'm a little peeved at finding that my favorite rum brand, Cruzan, has been purchased by Absolut, and they're no longer aging the base light and amber rums for 2 years anymore. Apparently they're repurposing it to compete with all the other shit everybody else sells, so that means making it horrible first, obviously.

Everybody, I'm serious. If you actually LIKE rum, and by that I mean not spiced rum or weird frozen syrup drinks, go and buy up as much Cruzan as you can that explicitly says "Aged for 2 years" on the bottle. It's still the best value in liquor today; there is no shame in drinking it straight, and it only costs about 11 dollars a fifth in the united states. This will not last.

On another, more encouraging note, Haus Alpenz is now producing OLD TOM GIN alongside their exhaustive selection of previously unavailable cocktail ingredients. Hurrah!

Oh yes. I started my illustrious drinking career on rum, and it's still my favorite. I think I mentioned cruzan blackstrap somewhere in this or a similar thread. It's absolutely incredible, and, as you said, can be consumed straight up without so much as a cringe. A little ice makes it perfect.

My favorite rum in the world is a Nicaraguan one called Flor de Cana (should have the wee little squiggly over the n, but I'm clueless as to how to do that anywhere but MSword). The seven year will run you about $7 for a fifth in Central America, or $27 here in the states :(
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:25 am UTC

Matt wrote:

NOOOOOOO! Must find non-shitty liquor store and stock up!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 am UTC

So I gathered the roommates around last night after cake night and we tried the Laphroiag Quarter Cask. It is my first single malt scotch, and it took a moment of readjusting after the first few sips. It's the first time I've experienced a scotch without that faint flavor that reminds me of pears (a flavor that I like). Instead, it's got a very strong earthy/woody flavor. 48% ABV, but the strength of the flavor is more noticeable than the concentration of alcohol compared to the 40-43% I'm used to in a scotch. I think one of my roommates liked it more than the other. The next step is to taste it next to some other scotches—we have a little Johnnie Walker green label left, and the Glenlivet 12 y.o., but no other single malts. That's fine, because I want to compare the blended and single malt before I move on to other single malts.

Final judgment reserved until more of the bottle's gone, but my first impression was pretty good. I found it at 45 USD for the fifth, by the way, which was pleasing.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:39 am UTC

What are these "fifths" you mention? Is it like 700ml? If so, that's dead cheap for an export Scotch price. Very close to the domestic prices.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the peat smoke on the nose.* It's the defining characteristic of the Islay Malts. Laphroaig is really throwing yourself in at the single malt deep end. There are much lighter, sweeter and more "blendy" malt whiskies to find. The Glenlivet will be very different.

*That said, I suppose I shouldn't assume that everyone in the world grew up around peat fires...

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

My first single malt was Laphroaig 10yo, and remained my favourite until I met QC. Oh me yarm, QC... And now I'm out of QC and can't even go and have one. But I do have Ardbeg Nearly There...

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So I gathered the roommates around last night after cake night and we tried the Laphroiag Quarter Cask. It is my first single malt scotch, and it took a moment of readjusting after the first few sips. It's the first time I've experienced a scotch without that faint flavor that reminds me of pears (a flavor that I like). Instead, it's got a very strong earthy/woody flavor. 48% ABV, but the strength of the flavor is more noticeable than the concentration of alcohol compared to the 40-43% I'm used to in a scotch. I think one of my roommates liked it more than the other. The next step is to taste it next to some other scotches—we have a little Johnnie Walker green label left, and the Glenlivet 12 y.o., but no other single malts. That's fine, because I want to compare the blended and single malt before I move on to other single malts.

Final judgment reserved until more of the bottle's gone, but my first impression was pretty good. I found it at 45 USD for the fifth, by the way, which was pleasing.

I agree with Dream here. Laphroaig QC is definitely the 10M Olympic dive into the deep end. I rarely add water to 80 proof Scotch, and when I do it's not more than a few drops to get that cloudy bit in the glass (more often I'll drink water before I sip the whiskey, it gives a similar effect of opening up the flavor). With cask strength, though, I've found it beneficial to add maybe 2-3 ml of water to a glass, it takes the extreme alcohol edge off and will show you what people mean when they say that it brings out the whiskey's character.

I did a quick Google search to get some adjectives for what I was wanting to say next and stumbled across this, which both agrees with what I've learned through experience and saves me the trouble of typing it out. :)
ADDING WATER
Whether or not you should add water to your whisky is entirely about personal taste. Many who drink their whisky neat say they do not want to spoil the taste by adding water to it.

However, there are just as many whisky drinkers who say that adding a touch of water, especially soft still spring water will enhance the aroma and flavour of a whisky and bring out the whiskies hidden characteristics. It is worth noting that tap water can contain high levels chlorine and would spoil rather than complement your whisky, if this is the case with your tap water it is best avoided.

The true lover of whisky will drink there whisky as the professionals do, with a little clear water. Adding a little water to whisky before drinking will prevent the strength of the whisky numbing your senses and reducing your enjoyment of the whisky. It is widely said that you should dilute your whisky with a fifth water. Everyone's tastes varies, so its worth adding just a little water at a time to see what you prefer. Having said all that I do agree that some whiskies are best without any water added.
BTW, where in hell is this stuff $45 a bottle? I pay nearly $40 for Laphroaig 10yr locally and it's the cheapest I've seen it!

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Being a student, i can rarely afford good drink. We have several bottles of cheap Scottish whiskey (bells and white and mackay being very unscottish to pronounce). As well as a rather larger bottle of JD.
The only good stuff we have is some high quality ouzo which is obnoxiously Greek. I think ill get some of the Turkish Raki (essentially the Turkish ouzo, being as the two countries are rather... interlinked) brought back, should be nice.

The one i have managed to enjoy once over the last year is a 85% bottle of absinthe that i cracked out the last of on my 18th. Dear lord, the stuff is incredible! To be drank the traditional way with a tall glass, absinthe spoon, cube of sugar and cold water.

Intense.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:14 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:BTW, where in hell is this stuff $45 a bottle? I pay nearly $40 for Laphroaig 10yr locally and it's the cheapest I've seen it!

Because of the vast difference in taxes between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, there are actually big NH state-run liquor stores just over the border on 93 and 95. If you live up north in MA you probably buy your liquor in NH because it's significantly cheaper. Also your fireworks, which are flat out illegal here. Maybe other stuff.

I didn't mention the peat because although I read that it had that flavor, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what that tasted or smelled like. It just came across as a blend of wood and earth that I couldn't identify without the help of the literature. I had it with five or six drops of cold water.

A fifth is 750 ml, more or less 1/5 of a gallon.

And a little interesting news for me and this thread—I looked at an apartment today that has a full bar in the dining room. Good times to follow? I certainly hope so!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Imo Laphroig (well, Islay drams in general) is one of those whiskies that's better without water :) In fact, I think it tastes like arse if one does add water. But ya, most whiskies will change character completely; flick in a drop or two off the end of a finger and see what a difference it makes.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Because of the vast difference in taxes between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, there are actually big NH state-run liquor stores just over the border on 93 and 95. If you live up north in MA you probably buy your liquor in NH because it's significantly cheaper.
Ah, I remember seeing those. IIRC it was 10 miles from the border that the laws were more NH in effect than MA? It seemed you could walk a line that distance from the border on the roofs of liquor stores.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Yeah, the state-run ones are something like 10 miles into NH.
Amarantha wrote:But ya, most whiskies will change character completely; flick in a drop or two off the end of a finger and see what a difference it makes.

Mmmm, this whisky tastes like fingers.

ewige

Postby ewige » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:I can't be the only one laughing giddily at all this "boycott Bud" shit going around now that a Belgian company is going to be buying them out, can I?

You are not alone. It's exacerbated by the fact that the company buying them is responsible for Hoegaarden, which I adore.

As for the subject at hand, I lean toward Stolichnaya for vodka, Bombay Sapphire for straight gin drinking, and Macallan 12 year for scotch. The 18 is good too, but it seemsl ike it loses a little character while mellowing.
While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

This weekend I went down to Grand Forks in ND and picked up a bottle of Lucid Absinthe for me and my buddy, you can't find it anywhere here in Manitoba.

I'm excited to drink it. I just need to manufacture myself a spoon first.

...sorry.

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Got myself a bottle of this today.

I'm so glad it's here, no matter the price tag.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Matt wrote:Got myself a bottle of this today.

I'm so glad it's here, no matter the price tag.

Damn. Those designer spirits are just getting lazy at this stage...

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:25 am UTC

Oh man. I once had a bottle of sloe gin, purchased because I had read about it when researching things to mix with Southern Comfort (hey, I was just discovering alcohol. I've gotten better, I promise). As far as I can recall, it's the only bottle I've ever actually poured down the sink. It was THAT gross.

With that said, who here is familiar with cachasa? One of the benefits of living in a Portuguese/Brazilian neighborhood is the prevalence of this tasty beverage in the liquor stores. It goes really well with muddled fruit -- lime is standard, but I just tried it with kiwi, and I'm hooked. Also, a reasonably good bottle can be had for less than $15. Premium ones are $25 or less. I like.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:26 am UTC

I've never had the stuff, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I was under the impression that it was solely for mixed drinks. Like, for instance, a Slow, Comfortable Screw Up Against The Wall.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I bought it to try an Alabama Slammer, which, if I remember correctly, is basically the same thing as the drink you just mentioned. It was vile.
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

It's similar, but with no amaretto, plus vodka and Galliano

Return to “Food”