Hummus + x = delicious. Solve for x.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheSkyMovesSideways

Re: Hummus + x = delicious. Solve for x.

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

I'm amazed no one has posted this yet, but for recipes, I'd like to see anything that can beat this:
http://humus101.com/EN/2006/10/14/hummus-recipe/

Also, try hummus on toast, topped with a couple of poached eggs, and then sprinkled with a generous amount of good quality duqqa (if you can find or make it).
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Cream crackers. I can sit and eat a whole tub of the stuff with cream crackers just shoveling it out of the pot and into my mouth.

Mmmmm.

Killy_mcgee

Postby Killy_mcgee » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

X= Form of meat.

Get large plate, oil, some spices, chopped onions and tomatoes and X kind of meat.

A sandwich with Hummus is good too.
[insert random quote/ some stupid "bunny takes over world" thing.]
FUCK BUNNIES.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Killy_mcgee wrote:X= Form of meat.

...Someone didn't read the first post.
...It made more sense in my head.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:
Killy_mcgee wrote:X= Form of meat.

...Someone didn't read the first post.

I'm going to pretend he read the entire topic, instead:

MirrorWing wrote:Nath: Please, do suggest any carnivorous things you might like. I was raised a meat-eater and feel no reason to kick the love of the taste of meat. Morningstar Farms and Boca are my friends. :D I can make anything with soy ground beef, steak or chicken strips, various other kinds of chicken (Breaded patties and nuggets...), hot dogs, sausages... soy meat = awesome.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 am UTC

MirrorWing wrote:meat

But soy meat and dead animal meat taste different! Even the best veggie stuff I've come across can't match the actual thing. It doesn't work the same way.
...It made more sense in my head.

MirrorWing
Location: The tile adjacent to Ceiling Cat's, watchin' you masturbate.

Postby MirrorWing » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

*Shrug* It's been so long that I honestly don't remember the difference.
20-year-old Star-Wars-watching, power-metal-listening, fantasy-book-reading, anime-cosplaying, MTG-playing, physics-loving nerdgirl. Deal.

Image <--My life in a nutshell.

Spoiler:

Patman

Postby Patman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:49 am UTC

MirrorWing wrote:*Shrug* It's been so long that I honestly don't remember the difference.

I same you.

Try fry's braal flavoured soy-sages are totally swede pop. I had to check the packet twice even!

Also try:
Hummus - (chickpeas + lemon juice) = tahini

It's the sesame seed version of peanut butter and it is mega yum.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:50 am UTC

for a while I made sandwiches with pita bread, hummus, kalamata olives, cheddar cheese and pickles. some of the best sandwiches I've ever made.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

X = anything solid.

Anyway, I think I may as well give away my secret recipe for the Ultimate Pita:

Cut open your pita Mid-Eastern-style for putting things in it. Put in hummus, pickle slices, olives, and falafel balls. Sprinkle over with Tabasco-style hot sauce. Enjoy.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:21 am UTC

I've found that Ritz crackers and gourmet crackers (the kind you eat with expensive cheese) work pretty well with hummus too, for dipping. Not as healthy as dipping veggies, of course.

Great suggestions in this thread.

Also, does store-bought pita taste decent if you fry it? Or is that just a bad idea?
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Depends on the store and where you live. I'd look for a small Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern or Indian grocery to get good pita or flatbread, if you live where that type of place exists.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Depends on the store and where you live. I'd look for a small Mediterranean, Middle-Eastern or Indian grocery to get good pita or flatbread, if you live where that type of place exists.

Do they have that sort of thing in Boston?

Also, I see no reason why any person should ever fry pita.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Yep. Not sure about the Mediterranean bit, but we have plenty of Indian and Middle Eastern groceries that have delicious pita.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Am eating it with pitta bread. it's DAMN FINE.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I have to agree- just slather as much hummus as you can on some pita bread and then add whatever you want to it. It's really hard to go wrong with this.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Slathering is just the wrong way to go about it.The right way to eat hummus using pita is to pile the Hummus on a plate, and then wipe it using pieces of pita, trying to maximize the hummus/pita relationships.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Well, maybe slather is the wrong word. But either way just the two alone work great.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:24 am UTC

Right now I have a thing for pickles dipped in hummus, and I don't really even enjoy pickles by themselves.

fyrenwater wrote:But soy meat and dead animal meat taste different! Even the best veggie stuff I've come across can't match the actual thing. It doesn't work the same way.

Even though most of it doesn't taste at all the same, it's worth noting that we simply forget about the denser taste of real meat. Potatoes feel very thick to me when they used to feel thin compared to meat. (at least, I seem to remember that being the case) The fake meats give me the same mental impression of thickness that used to require real meat.
Tofurkey on the other hand... That's one fake meat that fills me with terror.
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

AntonGarou wrote:Slathering is just the wrong way to go about it.The right way to eat hummus using pita is to pile the Hummus on a plate, and then wipe it using pieces of pita, trying to maximize the hummus/pita relationships.

What is easy enough and especially delicious is to make pita chips. Just get the pita or Lebanese bread, cut it into segments (I usually get 15-20 per piece of bread), put them on a lightly oiled tray, spray them over with some more extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a little paprika for some colour and bake in a hot oven (about 200oC) until they're crisp.

I have two large containers of these and a litre of homemade hummus in my kitchen... :twisted:

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

nonono, you can't use chips for that- you have to you use the pita pieces as is.Otherwise it's cheating :).Also, I find it's much tastier that way.

a thing

Postby a thing » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

x = chips

I just discovered edamame hummus, which is quite delicious.
Disclaimer: My posts may change (dramatically) within the first 15 minutes they're posted.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Does edamame hummus actually contain, er, hummus (chickpeas) as well as edamame?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:24 am UTC

X=Salt and pepper chips.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

a thing

Postby a thing » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Does edamame hummus actually contain, er, hummus (chickpeas) as well as edamame?

No, the edamame replaces the chickpeas.
Disclaimer: My posts may change (dramatically) within the first 15 minutes they're posted.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

x = warm turkish bread.
It's at least 10x more delicious than pita bread. It's a scientific fact.In fact anything is better with warm turkish bread.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Swampfox1942

Postby Swampfox1942 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:Spinach. Lots of it, I mean, half spinach half hummus. And some artichoke.
Mix well and eat with your pita of choice.

Are those artichokes done in oil or butter?
Youtube removed for relevance. Or lack thereof. - ST

Glaglig

Postby Glaglig » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

I once accidently made a sandwich with hummus and tuna salad on a baguette - yummy mistake that I kept making since then :)
But in general - just stick a lot of hummus on a plate, add spices* and olive oil, and wipe with a bit of pita bread. Easiest snack ever.

* spices = paprika, chili, za'atar (I think it's called hysop in English and it's near impossible to find in the USA, but in the Middle East it's practically a staple food).

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Glaglig wrote:* spices = paprika, chili, za'atar (I think it's called hysop in English and it's near impossible to find in the USA, but in the Middle East it's practically a staple food).

Apparently, za'atar may refer to several herbs, or a mixture thereof. Wikipedia says that thyme, oregano, marjoram, sesame seeds and salt and the common ingredients. The stuff I saw in the Middle East smelled like oregano.

Glaglig

Postby Glaglig » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Glaglig wrote:* spices = paprika, chili, za'atar (I think it's called hysop in English and it's near impossible to find in the USA, but in the Middle East it's practically a staple food).

Apparently, za'atar may refer to several herbs, or a mixture thereof. Wikipedia says that thyme, oregano, marjoram, sesame seeds and salt and the common ingredients. The stuff I saw in the Middle East smelled like oregano.

Hmmm... mine says "Ingredients: Zahatar, sesame seeds". But I guess many spices would work.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Another spice that gives an interesting combination is ground ginger.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Hmm, seems like feta was only mentioned incidentally in this thread as an ingredient in a suggested wrap.

In that case, let me say it more explicitly! Feta cheese goes awesomely with hummus. If you're making a salad and using hummus somehow, throw in feta. If you're mixing spinach and other things with hummus for dipping, add feta. You can even just mix in a little feta with hummus alone, although the contrast in textures might seem weirder that way. If you're willing to deal with its crumbly nature, put feta inside a sandwich (with your usual sandwich trappings); hummus as a spread should help keep it from falling out everywhere.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Quillpaw

Postby Quillpaw » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:33 am UTC

I normally just eat it with pita chips. Heck, any tortilla chip will do just fine. *unoriginal*
ImageImageImage

Just a bit of a Gin fangirl

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:39 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Hmm, seems like feta was only mentioned incidentally in this thread as an ingredient in a suggested wrap.

In that case, let me say it more explicitly! Feta cheese goes awesomely with hummus. If you're making a salad and using hummus somehow, throw in feta. If you're mixing spinach and other things with hummus for dipping, add feta. You can even just mix in a little feta with hummus alone, although the contrast in textures might seem weirder that way. If you're willing to deal with its crumbly nature, put feta inside a sandwich (with your usual sandwich trappings); hummus as a spread should help keep it from falling out everywhere.

I see we have a Greco-Roman infidel in our hummus thread ;-). Nah, I just dislike feta cheese.

Now, Za'atar is made from oregano? I was under the impression it contained some sort of pepper -- the za'atar I tried burned like the flames of Gehinom!

On that note, hummus basically does for Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern foods what milk does for Indian foods: it provides a dull flavor with the right chemistry to moderate burning spices. This makes it very useful for practically everything. Hence the broad American adoption of hummus by people who never cared a damn whit where it comes from or how it is "traditionally" eaten. For example, I've eaten hummus as a dip for a buffalo-chicken wrap. Dip wrap in hummus, bite, chew, swallow, recurse until no wrap or no hummus remains.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:09 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:On that note, hummus basically does for Mediterranean or Middle-Eastern foods what milk does for Indian foods: it provides a dull flavor with the right chemistry to moderate burning spices.

I would say more specifically that tahini does that, rather than hummus. That's why it occurs in such a wide variety of dishes (including, of course, hummus).

Also, yoghurt in Indian food, rather than milk.

blue halax

Postby blue halax » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Chocolate hummus macaron = yum. Inspired by the foie gras macarons at Pierre Hermé.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Now, Za'atar is made from oregano? I was under the impression it contained some sort of pepper -- the za'atar I tried burned like the flames of Gehinom!

So it probably wasn't "traditional" Za'atar mix, which is made of ground plant that holds the same Arab name(IIRC the English name is hyssop), and a bit of salt and toasted sesame seed- in some areas they also add Thyme Leaved Savory(Micromeria fruticosa- I'm not sure of the common English name) , but that's generally it.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

blue halax wrote:Chocolate hummus macaron = yum. Inspired by the foie gras macarons at Pierre Hermé.

Lies. The only true macaroon is the coconut one!

a thing

Postby a thing » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Hmm... hummus and coconut? Worth a try.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Chillis And any kind of dipping implement (Breadsticks are my favourite).
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Return to “Food”