Yogurt: Still Healthy?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Yogurt: Still Healthy?

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:42 am UTC

What's the word on yogurt these days? As I relished my typical midafternoon snack of lumpy purple goo today, I found myself wondering: can something that tastes this good really still be all that healthy? The second ingredient listed on the label is sugar, after all.

I thought I read somewhere recently that the notion of probiotic cultures is terribly misleading advertising, but I didn't catch the details.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Re: Yogurt: Still Healthy?

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:00 am UTC

I've been using fat-free plain yogurt, and stirring in a spoonful of jam or honey or a piece of chopped fruit. Is healthier!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Yogurt is one of those foods that comes in a wide range of healthiness levels. I usually go with low fat (not fat-free) plain yogurt, and add stuff to it to taste.

Jinx

Postby Jinx » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Nath wrote:Yogurt is one of those foods that comes in a wide range of healthiness levels... add stuff to it to taste.

^very true

The little beasties in there are nice for those with meeker digestive systems, but that's not why i dig the stuff. For me, it's a nice middle of the day snack to keep the metabolism up; sweet, but not a sugary health-hazard, and still somewhat healthy. Usually a little cup-o-yogurt (i'm not picky- i just do low-fat yoplait) and a banana is good enough to hold me over until my lunch break at work, while still refueling about 200 cals, and not so much junk.

Or, about an ounce of granola into a yogurt cup... bliss~

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

Definitely depends on what brand, flavor and fatness you're eating.
My personal favorite? Anything by Stonyfield Farm, the brand we ate growing up. Either low-fat or fat-free, depending on what was on sale in the grocery. Occasionally, I'll buy some of their whole milk yogurt, shake it up real well, and pop it in the freezer. And then I have desert, which tastes good and is way healthier than an equal size portion of ice cream.
If you are looking for healthy, definitely read labels. With this, you might have better luck @ a Trader Joes/Whole Foods/any other place that carries lots of lines of natural/organic foods.

gerb

Postby gerb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

What bugs me is that it's really hard to find yogurt that isn't 'fat free'/'low-fat'/'no fat'. I was never all that excited over healthy food.

Something that I'm starting to consider better than yogurt is kefir. Especially the blueberry. Yum. :-)
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Jinx wrote:Or, about an ounce of granola into a yogurt cup... bliss~
For a while I was throwing in some wheat germ, but that's kind of tricky to find.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Yogurt also tastes nice in savory foods. Use it like sour cream, add a dollop to beans & rice, or curry, or other soupy/spicy dishes like that. Poach an egg in the leftovers for breakfast the following morning.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

gerb wrote:What bugs me is that it's really hard to find yogurt that isn't 'fat free'/'low-fat'/'no fat'. I was never all that excited over healthy food.

It's hard to find full-strength yogurt in individual serving sizes*, but you can easily get it in the 32-ounce containers. Stonyfield Farms is very tasty, though a bit pricey. I like the stiffness of their yogurt, the way you can carve it with a spoon, like a soft solid instead of a liquid. One of those jugs is around 1000 calories, but then again, you usually don't want to eat anything else for a while afterward.

*Sometimes a 32-ounce container is an "individual serving" for me.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:22 am UTC

gerb wrote:kefir.

Oh. No. I tried that stuff once. ONCE.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

gerb

Postby gerb » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
gerb wrote:kefir.

Oh. No. I tried that stuff once. ONCE.

Was it homemade or store bought?
I haven't tried homemade yet. Been buying Lifeway Kefir. The strawberry isn't so great and I haven't tried the plain, but the blueberry is awesome.
"In a world where derivatives change functions into other functions...one constant will stand alone....This summer, Leonhard Euler is...ex..."
-Sir_Elderberry

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

gerb wrote:Was it homemade or store bought?

I don't know. It looked like semen and tasted like a rusty 9V battery.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:45 am UTC

Flavoured kefir? commercialization will go to any heresy depths they wish *hits spacebar with his jaw*

I still stand by that flavoured/enriched/enhanced products are less healthy because of all 'non-essential chemistry' in them than plain stuff. If you want, put in some real strawberry jam into it. At least you'll know what you're eating. (You know that joke about why sausage producing factory workers never eat sausage, right? :mrgreen: )
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:42 am UTC

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27838&p=879767&hilit=Yogurt#p878857 You can't tell me you searched Yogurt before creating this...I spelled it every conceivable way!

I think that cornstarch, gelatin, high sugar or aspartame yogurt is pretty much negligible in terms of food value. Plain or greek yogurt with your own add ins? Good for you.
Rice Puddin.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27838&p=879767&hilit=Yogurt#p878857 You can't tell me you searched Yogurt before creating this...I spelled it every conceivable way!
I am shamed. :oops: Let there be merge.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:34 am UTC

Aww, no shame. I think it's hilarious because I deliberately spelled it several ways for that very reason. The new thread made me giggle.

Also-- Apple slices dipped into yogurt with honey...so good.
Rice Puddin.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

A nice greek style plain yogurt is a very tasty food, and pretty good for you. You can drain the yogurt and get a thick spreadable cheese-add some chopped herbs and have it on crackers or toast. (Put the yogurt in a coffee filter lined strainer and leave over a bowl for several hours or overnight.
Definitely want to start with plain and add your own fresh fruit and some honey. No need for the stabilizers and such like found in the pre-fruited varieties. Not to mention the sugar.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Comic JK wrote:It's hard to find full-strength yogurt in individual serving sizes*, but you can easily get it in the 32-ounce containers. Stonyfield Farms is very tasty, though a bit pricey. I like the stiffness of their yogurt, the way you can carve it with a spoon, like a soft solid instead of a liquid. One of those jugs is around 1000 calories, but then again, you usually don't want to eat anything else for a while afterward.

*Sometimes a 32-ounce container is an "individual serving" for me.

Mmmm, this is the yogurt I ate as a kid. And still pretty much the yogurt I prefer over all else.
For full-fat, full-stength delicious: try their YoBaby stuff. Comes in tiny little cups, and in such delicious flavors as banana. And has the layer of cream on the top...

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:47 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:Yogurt also tastes nice in savory foods. Use it like sour cream, add a dollop to beans & rice, or curry, or other soupy/spicy dishes like that. Poach an egg in the leftovers for breakfast the following morning.

Or add some spices, marinate overnight, and you have delicious kebabs :D

Yogurt depends a lot on the brand- if it has tons of sugar, probably not good. But not all of it does. And Stoneyfield = delicious.

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

I make my own I followed the instructions on http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm and used skim milk to make a fat free yogurt also it's kinda cheaper too. I use it plain as kind of a dip for apples an other fruits.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

ssbookyu123 wrote:I make my own I followed the instructions on http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/YOGURT2000.htm and used skim milk to make a fat free yogurt also it's kinda cheaper too. I use it plain as kind of a dip for apples an other fruits.

oh that looks like something I could actually do in my kitchen!
We have a local farm I can get raw milk from, I would love to do some yogurt that way.

As of right now I buy Brown Cow Cream Top Plain yogurt. I love love love it with fresh berries, some wheat germ, and I usually will stir some flax seed oil in with it.

Return to “Food”