Grill without a grill?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vaniver

Grill without a grill?

Postby Vaniver » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

So, I want to try out a number of recipes that require grilling (kebabs, satay, tandoori, etc.), but at the moment I only have a frying pan and an oven. Will I get similar results if I suspend the skewers over the pan as I would with an actual grill? Should I put oil in the pan? Should I just fry the meat individually and then skewer them (though that seems to defeat the point of skewering them)?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Grill without a grill?

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

Tandoori itself requires a tandoor, to be done right, so I wouldn't expect to get far with those recipes without even a western-style grill.

Grilling is a dry-heat method of cooking. Does your oven have a broiler unit or setting? This would be your best tool. Definitely not over the frying pan with oil—I'm not sure there's anything the frying pan will do for you in this case. You want a broiler pan with an uneven surface and holes to drain away fats and juices, and direct heat, preferably from a flame, but there are electric heated-coil broilers as well.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Wow, broiling and grilling are the same thing. This boggles my mind.

But yeah, it does have a broiler setting- I'll have to try that out. It appears the oven even had a grill-shaped piece of metal, to facilitate grilling.

Thanks!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Well, I wouldn't say the same, since there is definitely a difference between the heat source being over or under the food—mostly in the directions various things go and the position of the metal pan/grill either between the food and the heat source or not—plus actual grilling offers the wonderful options of charcoal and wood or wood chips. But they are essentially very similar, yes.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

You could go looking for a grill pan- a frying pan with ridges that does much the same as a regular grill. Broiling somethings is close to grilling them. Do use the broiler pan, one of the reasons to grill is so that the fat can drain off of the product. A grill pan can be found online for about 30 bucks, and in a thrift store will be much less. A place like TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Tuesday Morning should also have them. If you get a good you will use it all your life.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

You could try one of those electric grills, like the George Foreman models. Although they may not be as close to real grilling, for indoor grilling they're pretty decent. They usually run between $20 to 100, depending on the size, brand, and model.

The only other solution (besides using the broiler pan in your oven) would be to find a nearby park that has a grill. A lot of state or city parks have picnic areas with small grills at every table. The only downside to these is they're not cleaned out and up as often as a grill at someone's home would be. You would have to take the time to clean it out and scrub the grate off real good. When I used one of those grills, I had to sweep all the ashes out, but when it came time to cook, instead of cleaning the cooking grate, I just covered it up with a sheet of aluminum foil, poked a few holes in it to let the heat come through and the grease to drain out, and I was in business. I think Reynolds makes an aluminum foil that's supposed to be strong enough for grilling.
PRG

An important message for you:

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Do you not have an out-of-doors? You can grill even when it's cold, I believe I need only cite the survival of our species.

Jinx

Postby Jinx » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Does your oven have a broiler unit or setting? This would be your best tool. Definitely not over the frying pan with oil—I'm not sure there's anything the frying pan will do for you in this case. You want a broiler pan with an uneven surface and holes to drain away fats and juices, and direct heat, preferably from a flame, but there are electric heated-coil broilers as well.

Definitely, broiling is the way to go. Like Bakemaster touched upon, though, the trick to making broiling similar to grilling is making sure the fat/juices have somewhere to go while cooking, otherwise your foods will be stewing as they cook. Ideal situation would be cooking on a grill/rack over a sheetpan lined with foil for optimal results.

Oh yeah, and it should go without saying, but all broilers are HOT! Not only that, heats can vary between broilers, so watch your foods when you're cooking with them to make sure you're not charring your foodstuffs.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 am UTC

Broiler pan. It's basically a little grill-type thing molded to fit on top of a metal dish it comes with. Usually included with the oven (I think?), stored in that weird little drawer underneath, and never used.

Also, with an electric broiler: you'll need to leave your oven open a little bit while you use it, or it will overheat and shut off. You know where it kind of snaps into place maybe 4 inches (10cm) from closed? Leave it there.

Jinx wrote:Oh yeah, and it should go without saying, but all broilers are HOT! Not only that, heats can vary between broilers, so watch your foods when you're cooking with them to make sure you're not charring your foodstuffs.
And that.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Return to “Food”