Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

podbaydoor

Re: Today I Made:

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

I LOVE SWEET POTATO FRIES.

Did you make them?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

My mother is coming back home tomorrow after a visit to our native place so my brother and I thought we'd surprise her with food! So we made:

1. Potato fries in chili and honey sauce.
2. Chicken 65 in a tangy yoghurt sauce that I sort of... invented. Was delicious though.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Is there yogurt sauce that isn't tangy*?

*delicious
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

Yeah the one I was supposed to make according to the recipe wasn't tangy. It was just long and tedious so I decided to just throw in a few things that I thought would make for a nice yoghurt base. Also, I really don't cook that often so I don't know too many things about le cooking.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Fried pig's brain: creamy creamy goodness.
Brine for a pig's tongue. Had no juniper berries; used gin.
Blood and sand, because I finally have cherry heering, so I bought an orange specially.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Tonight was salmon fillet fried in olive oil. The oil had been frying onion and garlic for a while before.
Topped the salmon with the onion and garlic. The oil was used in a couple of loaves of bread.
It's good bread.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 am UTC

Not made yet, but I've decided on what to make today

Risotto with beets, onions and chorizo, and instead of using parmasan cheese I'll be trying out blue-mold cheese to see what happens.

I think it'll be delicious.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I always seem to post in this thread the day after I make something delicious...

Anyway. About 10 types of dried beans, peas, and corn (totaling together approximately 1 pound), pork ribs (bone-in until it came time to eat, and removing the bones proved rather difficult with the meat having been cooked for about 4 hours at that point), 3 coarsely chopped medium sized potatoes, 1 can diced tomatoes, about 3 oz. of tomato paste (leftover from when we made pizza for lunch earlier), a chopped jalapeno (with or without seeds, depending on how spicy you like your food), a chopped large onion, lots of chopped spinach, salt, pepper, and chili powder.

After soaking the beans overnight, put about 2 quarts of water in a large-ish pot with the soaked beans, the ham, the potatoes, salt and pepper (however much you want). Bring to boil, then simmer for approximately 90 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the spinach, then continue to simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn and stick to the bottom of the pot. Once you're ready to eat, chop the spinach and add it.

This made a very large amount of soup (well, I guess it's more a stew at this point). Me and my girlfriend made a side of corn bread to go with with it, and it was delicious! Now we have enough left over to have dinner every night this week.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

coyotebush

Postby coyotebush » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 am UTC

Yesterday, for an apartment building progressive dinner, a nice warming butternut squash/apple soup. I enjoyed some of the leftovers for lunch today.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I LOVE SWEET POTATO FRIES.

Did you make them?

I didn't. I cheated, and got a 4 lb bag of frozen sweet potato fries, so I can bake em up whenever I want a more sophisticated side for my sandwich.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

Bulgogi.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

Last night I made a creamy curried squash soup out of acorn squash, red kuri squash, and a whole bunch of spices. Also roasted a chicken.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

I got some kimchi and have been putting it in various things. A couple of nights ago, it was a beef noodle soup. Last night, it was a kimchi and green onion omelet, with a bit of Parmesan.

I also tried it in some microwavable White Castle cheeseburgers.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Today I made an internet order for some tasty tasty pizza. This shall be the only retail therapy I can stretch too. I'm certainly feeling less stressed and more full!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Nath wrote:I also tried it in some microwavable White Castle cheeseburgers.

Wow, how did that work?

TDAIM (two days ago I made) some veggie fried rice. I think this thread just shows how seldom I cook, and how often I'm not in the house. /:

I do love fried rice, though. Had some for lunch today, as well.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:59 am UTC

Sandry wrote:
Nath wrote:I also tried it in some microwavable White Castle cheeseburgers.

Wow, how did that work?

Not bad. Added some crunch, tartness and spiciness to balance the fat. Should have probably used more kimchi, and maybe spooned a little of the sauce in there.

The other way I sometimes eat them is with a slice of pickle and some ketchup. I think that combination works better.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Today: Chicken and mushroom pizza.
Yesterday: Chicken Parmesana.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

This morning I looked in the fridge and saw a few of those little salsa cups you get from taquerias, with just a little bit of salsa in each. In my pre-coffee madness, I poached an egg in them. Served on a corn tortilla with sauteed onion, roasted pepper and soy bacon it was really surprisingly delicious. I would have bet anything that it wouldn't have worked, except it did, and it was fantastic.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 am UTC

Chapathis and some spicy okra. That's my most favourite meal in the whole world. I eat it every three days but this is the first time I made it myself. This will happen again. I am so gorram happy - it's silly.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:06 am UTC

Herbed rolls. I rolled out the dough, made a herb/butter/olive oil/salt and pepper mixture (using all fresh herbs that I grew!), and rolled the rolls up like cinnamon rolls. So basically, savory spiral roll things? They are SO GOOD.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Spent all of last week making chcoclate-based pastries for a big party at WindyCon. They were many, varied and delicious. I don't think I will eat any chocolate for a loong time.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Maple-Cajun glazed Mahi-Mahi steaks. Would rather've used fillets but the local seafood place doesn't do mahi steaks very often. I don't know if it's a mahi thing or this dealer. Either way, very tasty.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

kennychelsea

Postby kennychelsea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:11 pm UTC

Today I made:

Banana Cake
chocolate cake
fish fillet...

Btw, did anyone of you tried to make a spaghetti sauce with red wine? Just wondering what's the taste....

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

I made spaghettah! Lots of nadles were involved.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:17 am UTC

My mother used to add a splash of wine to spaghetti sauce. Usually white, but I'm pretty sure she used red sometimes. If you don't overdo it, it just adds a bit of flavour.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:10 am UTC

If I have some around, a splash of wine is great for homemade pasta sauce. If it's a tomato sauce it needs red wine. If cream or butter sauce, white. The issue with adding too much wine is mostly that it takes longer to reduce to your desired thickness.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Gear

Postby Gear » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:11 am UTC

Chocolate chip cookies, ginger thins, and homemade vanilla ice cream. And a sweet potato. Now this may sound unhealthy, but no worries - we ordered pizza too, so we wouldn't fill up on the cookies (on an unrelated note, the pizza took 2 hours to get here. I may be slightly wrathful about this). I am going to die before I'm thirty from a diet induced disease. It will be delicious.
Last edited by Gear on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?”
~Calvin and Hobbes

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Braised some beef with cumin, coriander, cloves, bay leaves, oregano etc., apple cider vinegar, and a couple of drops of liquid hickory smoke. Vaguely inspired by Chipotle's barbacoa. Had some chopped in sandwiches. I'll probably eat the leftovers with a side of fennel braised with mustard seeds. 'Tis the season to be braising things.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

TIM: American-style pancakes, for the first time. Hot diggety damn. The kitchen looks like aeroplane bukkake gone awry during heavy turbulence, but dammit if these weren't the fluffiest, doughiest, pancakiest circular treats I've ever had the fortune to slather maple syrup over.

It's been a weekend of nice foodage, also, which is rare as money's usually Sub Zero by this point of the month, but I made some great penne a la vodka on Friday, and pad Thai this evening. Aside from the prawns, every ingredient was dead cheap (already had vodka in the house).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Yesterday I made (and today I am eating for lunch): sesame soba noodles with veggies. It uh. May actually be more veggies than noodles, but is nonetheless tasty.
Spoiler:
2011-11-21 14.53.27.jpg
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Ser Pounce-a-lot

Postby Ser Pounce-a-lot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am UTC

The other day, I made a cheesecake. It was the first time I've attempted to make one, and it came out quite edible. The top of the cheesecake cracked however, and the graham cracker crust I made didn't turn out like I planned. It was a delicious culinary experiment though, and one I plan to attempt again soon.

I make peanut butter and honey sandwiches a lot, I think they taste better than with Jelly. Most people never have heard of that combination.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches are amazing.

The other day my wife made marshmallows for the first time. They're a little on the soft and gooey side, but they taste really good. :)

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

...Turkey?
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Today we (mostly the Mrs.) will be making homemade apple pie and homemade crescent rolls. We're meeting a couple of other younger families in the area and each cooking a bit of the meal.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Today I made: whole wheat rolls, and red kuri squash soup. My dad rotisseried a turkey, my sister made cranberry sauce and her boyfriend made stuffing, my mom made asparagus and mushrooms, my grandma made cheesecake, my step-grandma made pie, my mom made greenbean casserole, my husband made mashed potatoes (regular and sweet), I made gravy, my grandma made a huge polenta casserole...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 am UTC

I made toast. :|

I kind of miss all of the fuss around Turkey Day in the US. Canadian Thanksgiving just doesn't figure as large in our landscape. Besides, it was 1.5 months ago.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Today I made: whole wheat rolls, and red kuri squash soup. My dad rotisseried a turkey, my sister made cranberry sauce and her boyfriend made stuffing, my mom made asparagus and mushrooms, my grandma made cheesecake, my step-grandma made pie, my mom made greenbean casserole, my husband made mashed potatoes (regular and sweet), I made gravy, my grandma made a huge polenta casserole...

Can I go to your house for Thanksgiving next year? ;)

Today I will make: turkey sandwiches, probably. Also on the schedule: her mom's turkey tetrazzini and my mom's turkey croquettes.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Yesterday I made caramelized leeks (to go with my housemate's mashed potatoes), baked brie (in phyllo with sour cherry spread and marcona almonds), a vegetarian gravy with shallots, and garlicky greens (dino kale, rainbow chard and collards), to go alongside the other T-day contributions of stuffing, cranberry orange relish, etc.

It was a lovely dinner, and I need to figure out how to make that relish.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

Scalloped potatoes. Boiled the potatoes in cream first and garlic first, then layered them with parmigiana and ham. So good and sooooo bad.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 am UTC

Thanksgiving hash! Sauteed half an onion and some semi cooked potatoes that I'd chopped up in olive oil. Added thanksgiving leftovers (turkey, stuffing green beans) added more oil, some butter and spices (poultry seasoning, salt and pepper). Put heavy stuff on top to press down on the hash to make it brown and added some leftover gravy when it was done. A delicious way to finish up all those leftovers.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Return to “Food”