Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

Re: Today I Made:

Postby Carlington » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:07 am UTC

Today I Am About to Make: Fettuccine with tomato and onion, and garlic bread made on toasted sourdough.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

This weekend I made: An apple wine cake. Short dough base, apricot jam, almond sponge cake, poached apples and raisins, a thick layer of firm applejack cream, whipped cream around the sides and top, toasted almonds on the sides, apricot-glazed jelly roll slices on top. It's pretty much the recipe from Bo Friberg's The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef. Only with applejack instead of calvados, since that's what I had. And close enough.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

I really like Friberg's books. I can't understand why his production volumes tend to be small- who needs to make only 12 of something in a busy kitchen? And he has some ingredients by weight and some by volume, but overall they work.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

I am very, very strictly a hobbyist in the kitchen, but I really love his books. I pretty much consider the first volume to be the best cookbook I've ever owned. This was only the second recipe I've made out of the second. Given that I'm really not a professional pastry chef at all, I don't think I mind admitting that there's rather a lot in there that's quite intimidating. Still, every new recipe is a learning experience, which is fun.

Of course, as I'm not a commercial (or any other sort of) chef, my volume adjustments tend to be in the other direction. Unless it's something like puff pastry where I can stick extra into the freezer, my default is pretty much to half the "small batch" versions of the recipes. And it's still not uncommon for me to wind up with more than I know what to do with.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

I made for breakfast, an onion bagel sandwich with a slice of swiss cheese and a stick of surimi-based imitation crab instead of sausage.

lolGordonRamseyEatYourHeartOut
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Right now I have in the oven...

the pumpkin bread recipeI posted a couple pages back.

Except this time I made applesauce first with fuji apples, lemon juice, and a stick of real cinnamon, and replaced the cup of vegetable oil with a cup of the homemade apple sauce. Additionally, when it calls for 3.5 cups of flour, I made that last half cup be whole wheat flour, just to see how it alters the taste. Not that I know how it tastes otherwise, having never used the applesauce alternative before...also, because fuji apples are sweet, and the applesauce recipe called four ~.5 cups of sugar (put in half of that), I only used one cup of sugar in the actual pumpkin bread recipe. I'm worried it might come out too tart.

I think next time the apple sauce will be just apples and cinnamon.

EDIT: it came out kinda rubbery, really cinnamony, and not very inflated, though it never does. Not very sweet, either, but I was expecting that...obvious note to self: do not experiment with more than one variable at a time. There will be heaps of pumpkin bread in the future.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Today I made/Today I learned:

Beets are not a common omelette ingredient. There is a reason for this.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

I made tomato (Sun Gold: a yellow grape tomato) and basil (homegrown) pizza.

8.8/10 Basil too overpowering. Will definitely make again.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Green curry salmon cakes and cucumber salad with fried shallots. Made it up as I went along, and ended up with a nice light Thai-inspired meal.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Today I made/Today I learned:

Beets are not a common omelette ingredient. There is a reason for this.

:\

Too crunchy, or did everything turn purple?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Too crunchy, or did everything turn purple?

They're beets.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Heh. I did use golden beets, so nothing was purple. Beets are rather earthy-tasting, though, and a bit sweet. The effect was something like "dirt candy omelette".
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 am UTC

Eggplant with buttermilk sauce.

Didn't have yogurt, or za'atar (obviously), so substituted sour cream and a little extra salt and pepper. Certainly not as good as it was supposed to be, but still no regret.

Also, nowhere near as pretty.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:53 am UTC

Shrimp and grits with tomato and pancetta. I've been getting most of my meals at work lately; it was nice to actually cook something for a change.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

I made Nath's Tomato and eggs again. I've almost perfected it. This time I also made some garlic toast out of a loaf of French bread with a little mozzarella. This truly is the breakfast of champions.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 am UTC

Shrimp tacos with a South Indian touch: fried some onion until sweet, added plenty of green chillies, sliced garlic, cumin and red chilli powder to make a nice, potent masala. Rubbed some spices into some shrimp and gave them a sear with the onion mixture. Ended with lots of black pepper and green onions, and served on corn tortillas with cilantro and lime.

Mm.

Cherries, lychees and Greek yogurt for dessert. Welcome, after the serrano/red chilli/black pepper trinity.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:43 am UTC

What do lychees taste like? I had the opportunity to buy some recently but didn't.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 am UTC

They're a bit like a perfumed skinless grape (once the shells are off). Quite tasty and juicy, slightly rubbery, with a more delicate and floral flavour than grapes.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I don't usually eat flowers so "floral flavor" is a bit ambiguous to me. I will try them at my next opportunity.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Perfumey, more or less. (I'm also not sure what flowers taste like.)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Today I made the best pancakes I have ever made in my life, on my newly-installed mid-century 40" Wedgewood gas stove.

ALL THE BTUS.

Finally I can expect to post regularly in this thread again, after nearly a year.

The pancakes were just basic pancakes with blackberries in. Somehow even my test pancake was pure perfection.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Somehow even my test pancake was pure perfection.

This is plainly impossible. And if it were possible, it would be very, very dangerous. The first pancake is prasad, a sacred gift to Chapatinath, Lord of Flatness. To forgo the sacrifice is to toy with powers beyond your ken.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Tell the Load of Flatheads he'd better not mess with me, I've got a therm-per-hour stove and I'll fry his ass.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

LOL.

Food of the gods, here. Very much little-G gods. Instant ramen, with homemade sauerkraut mixed in it.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

This morning I made scrambled eggs and whole wheat waffles with allspice, cardamom and walnuts. Since we were also having leftover salmon cakes, I blended up a little bit of pesto and a little bit of feta into a cup of plain greek yogurt to use as a topping. It somehow ended up being better on the waffles than on the salmon cakes. I'm not sure it was an overall "hit" though, the flavor combination was odd and the feta kept reminding me of pizza.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Lemon-basil chicken on the grill. Peeled the skin off the chicken, brined it, rubbed it with a paste of lemon zest, oil, mustard, black pepper and chopped basil.
It sat on the hot side for too long and is rather crusty (ie burnt) but everything tastes ok.
Will make again, paying more attention.
Last edited by PAstrychef on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Peachsauce!

Like Applesauce. EXCEPT WITH WHITE PEACHES.

I made some simple syrup, then added a whole sliced peach into it and let it brew. When it was finished, I took the soft soggy peach and threw it into a food processor with about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder. It was delicious. I recommend using less cinnamon. Maybe just an itty dust. It's fucking STRONG.

I also had 5 cups if "complex" syrup for sweet tea.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 am UTC

EchoRomulus wrote:I recommend using less cinnamon.

Your dissent will be noted in the record.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Grilled pork tenderloin with mesquite seasoning and brown sugar. Served up with white rice. So glad I decided to make this instead of going to Chipotle for dinner.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:53 am UTC

A simple braised chicken dish with shallots, garlic, tomatoes, serranos, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and cilantro. Would have been a curry if I had a fully-stocked spice cabinet.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

I made a vegan version of white bean and turkey chili where the turkey got replaced by okara (not okra), and I got to use the pressure cooker my mom gave me for the first time. It came out pretty reasonably (though the first thing I did on putting it into a bowl was top it with cheese and sour cream, because I fail at actual vegan food), and it's pretty awesome being able to take dry beans without soaking them and turn them into edible food in about ninety minutes.

I also made banana bread with chocolate chips in. Nom.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

This Blueberry Cheesecake recipe.

I'm sure it will taste great; it is still chilling after the last step. And this time, it didn't collapse (mostly--a third of the outer edge kinda buckled, but not disastrously)--it is likely that my previous cheesecakes from that recipe collapsed in the middle because I didn't let it cool down to room temperature before transferring it to the fridge.

Next time, graham cracker crust.

I got two pounds of blueberries for seven dollars--how could I pass that up?

Will take pictures.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Sounds pretty good. So you skipped the crust entirely, or you bought one?

Last night I made veg fried rice, using big chunks of bean curd skin to add substance, with mint, thai basil, and coriander. Not bad at all.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Inspired by a certain other thread, linguini with butter and parmesan, along with crushed garlic and parsley.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 am UTC

I skipped the crust entirely. I think I would have preferred it with a crust...but cheap blueberries, so I will try again in another week or so.

WP_000016.jpg
WP_000015.jpg

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

I am making some fig compote with fresh figs from our tree and cinnamon, vanilla and ginger. This is a Big Fucking Deal because we haven't had a stove to cook on in almost a year, and also I had a baby two weeks ago. I feel accomplished.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

I am about to make Orzo with shitake mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and garlic possibly in a cup of tomato sauce. Certainly with fresh basil.

Bakemaster wrote:
EchoRomulus wrote:I recommend using less cinnamon.

Your dissent will be noted in the record.

Dissent?

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:44 am UTC

My first attempt at sushi, unless you count those prosciutto nigiri I made for some reason a while ago. Salmon and avocado roll, spicy Dungeness crab and avocado inside-out roll, cucumber roll, and a couple of pieces of salmon nigiri. Alas, the spicy crab was snatched up before I could taste my handiwork.

Fun. I might start doing this at home, occasionally.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Orzo does not taste like rice. My brain is built to think that anything with that shape and texture is rice. I need to retrain my brain.

Sloppy Joes. Now this is strange. Help me out here.

I made a sloppy joe with ground turkey and manwich on a plain white bun toasted with romano.

I drank some green tea, half strait up green, half citrus green (which is horrible) So why...WHY did the sandwich taste 10x better after I drank a gulp of tea? This strange pairing seemed to go so well together. But it was so unique I probably won't ever have it again...

Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Blueberry cobbler. Ran out of sugar, so the fruit is not baking in a brandy-sugar syrup...just brandy. It is out of the oven in a few minutes.

EDIT: That escalated quickly! The pan was still warm when I put it in the dishwasher.

Return to “Food”