Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Today I Made:

Postby poxic » Wed May 28, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

They're called pea shoots 'round here. They are tasty.

Pea-Shoots1-url.jpg
Pea-Shoots1-url.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 28, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

oh, I thought it was just the actual curly part, I was going to say, it'd take an aweful lot of thoes to make any sort of meal.

i've been meaning to try some hop shoots as well, but I haven't talked to my friend that grows hops for a while.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

well, last night:

Fridge-cleaning thing. Millet and chicken thighs, kale and corn, all cooked together in a cast iron skillet. Sort of a succotash, but nicer.

Was actually very tasty.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri May 30, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

Yesterday I made two quiches. One was a spinach, arugula and sweet onion quiche with cheddar, the other was an asparagus, chive and garlic quiche with gruyere. They're both reasonably tasty, but frustratingly the arugula still had a bit of grit in it after repeated washings, and thus I have one slightly gritty quiche. /:
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat May 31, 2014 2:47 am UTC

Quiche noir!
I made a chicken tart with leeks, mushrooms and roasted orange bits in a cornmeal crust. Not the best crust ever, alas. Needed more fat.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat May 31, 2014 9:33 am UTC

Kai phat khing (chicken with ginger and wood-ear), from the same book as above. Served with jasmine rice and a crispy fried egg, and lots of pepper.

Got around to doing the whipped-vs-unwhipped cream in risotto side-by-side test. The whipped did produce a slightly looser gravy, but honestly, I didn't really have a preference between the two.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

Broth again. I did two things differently: added two apples, and seared the veggies (and fruit) first.

Searing turned out to be a very good idea. Put cut faces of plants onto hot pan, remove when browned and chuck into soup pot. When all plants are partially browned, add water to soup pot and boil as usual. Much better broth this way - stronger-tasting and browner.

The apples were an attempt to add some snap. I might try them again next time, but I will only use one. The broth tastes a bit like it's got a fruit pie in.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 am UTC

poxic wrote:The broth tastes a bit like it's got a fruit pie in.

Sweet and savory are like oil and water, they might mix if you stir hard enough, but you can always tell they don't belong together.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Wrong! Plenty of savory dishes work because they have some sweetness in them. Tagines, many curries, game dishes- they all are improved by the addition of fruit.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:06 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Wrong! Plenty of savory dishes work because they have some sweetness in them. Tagines, many curries, game dishes- they all are improved by the addition of fruit.

Pork+apple is a tradition. Heck, the iconic cartoon savory dish is whole roast pig on a spit, with an apple in its mouth.

Thai red curry with pork & apple works amazingly well. (It doesn't reheat well, though, while most other curries are better on the 2nd day.)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Pork+apple is a tradition.

My experience is that people put applesauce on pork because they cook it to the texture of shoe leather and the flavor to match.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:18 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Thai red curry with pork & apple works amazingly well.

Or duck + pineapple.

I find that sweetness in savory dishes is one of those things that different cuisines have vastly different opinions on. For instance, sweet ingredients are totally out of place in most Indian food (though there are a few regional cuisines that are sweeter), but Thai cuisine has a big ol' sweet tooth.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 am UTC

Nath wrote:Or duck + pineapple.

Oh god, pineapple... I love pineapple, but there have been a few times when I've been unaware that in a savory dish and I ordered it... inedible.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:09 am UTC

That's how I feel when people put raisins in biryani. I like raisins just fine in more suitable dishes, but they just ruin a biryani. Indians from non-biryani towns raisining up biryanis is the equivalent of Americans from non-BBQ towns coating mushy braised chicken with candy-sweet sauce and calling it 'barbecue'.

EDIT: dinner was stir-fried chicken with nam prik pao.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Thesh's ass wrote:Sweet and savory are like oil and water, they might mix if you stir hard enough, but you can always tell they don't belong together.

Honey ham. Stuffed croissants. Moroccan lamb with apricots. Caramelized onion anything. Pineapple pizza. Duck a l'Orange.

Edit: Maybe you mistook this for the controversial opinions thread.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Thesh's ass wrote:Sweet and savory are like oil and water, they might mix if you stir hard enough, but you can always tell they don't belong together.

Honey ham. Stuffed croissants. Moroccan lamb with apricots. Caramelized onion anything. Pineapple pizza. Duck a l'Orange.

5 perfectly valid answers, and 1 crime against the universe. We need a solution for people who put pineapple on pizza.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:29 am UTC

The solution is for other people to get their own pizza. This one has pineapple.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

The pineapple pizza hate should definatly be in the "controversial opinions about food" thread.

last night for dinner was a kind of "huntsman stew" sort of thing I make from time to time. Sauteed onion, potato, kale, and smokey sausage. All of this served with some red pepper flakes and a dollop of sour cream.

hearty, delicious.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:17 am UTC

For some reason I was in a similar stew vein. Odd for June, really. I made a lentil escarole stew with a bit of fake sausage in. Nom.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:55 am UTC

I made pineapple chicken tonight, completely unrelated to the above discussions of sweet and savory or pineapple and things. Pretty much just a stir fry with medium dice chicken breast and fresh pineapple chunks; ginger, paprika, cayenne, little bit of bell pepper, little bit of green onion, garnished with fresh pineapple sage. Bit of corn starch to thicken the juice since there's plenty of it from the fruit. Sweet and spicy and savory and great over rice.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 am UTC

Pancakes and bacon for breakfast, followed by salmon sautéed in bacon fat for sandwiches for lunch.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:28 am UTC

Conspired with my housemate to make Cincinnati chili (vegetarian version, anyhow), and then today made more lentil stew (with spinach and kale this time) because we so quickly went through the last batch.

It's amazing how being home more often leads to more cooking and to eating more healthful foods.

Pirated

Postby Pirated » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

Soooooo it looks like I'm the only one here who can't be bothered cooking atm...

Today I made... er, I mean opened... a bag of chips...

:oops:

gearce

Postby gearce » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:08 am UTC

Croque Monsieur

The French name Croque Monsieur translates to "Crisp Mister" and is basically a cooked cheese and ham sandwich, traditionally made with gruyere cheese and thinly sliced ham.

The name is sometimes shortened to Croque. Below is a recipe for a full blown version of a Croque Monsieur which is fabulous for lunch served with French fries and a dressed salad.

A more simple version would be to make a cheese and ham sandwich in the usual way, then fry in butter until crisp and golden on both sides. Alternatively, spread the outside on your sandwich with plenty of butter and cook under a very hot grill until well browned on both sides.

croque_monsieur_rs.jpg
croque_monsieur_rs.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 7219 times

Croque Monsieur Recipe HT MC French 20mins

Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 slices Sandwich Bread
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
8 thin slices of Ham
176g/6oz Gruyere cheese, grated
2 tbsp Butter, softened
20ml/4fl.oz. COLD Béchamel or Thick White Sauce

Instructions:
1. Preheat the grill to hot. Spread 4 slices of bread with the mustard then top each with a slice of ham.
2. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cheese and divide the remaining cheese between the ham topped slices of bread, sprinkling it evenly over the ham.
3. Place the 4 remaining slices of ham on the cheese and top with the remaining 4 slices of bread to make a sandwich.
4. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet, butter the top slices with the butter then grill for 4- 5 minutes until well browned and crisp.
5. Turn them over, and grill for a further 3-4 minutes until well toasted.
6. Remove from the grill, turn them over again then spread the top of each with the cold béchamel sauce, sprinkle with the reserved cheese, place back under the very hot grill and cook until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately.

Béchamel (white) Sauce Veg HT ACC 15mins plus infusion

Makes approx 360ml/12fl.oz.

Ingredients:
300ml/10 fl.oz Milk
1 Shallot, skinned and sliced
A small piece of carrot cut up
½ a stick of Celery, chopped
½ Bay leaf
3 Peppercorns
25g/1oz Butter
25g/1oz Flour
Salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Put the milk, vegetables and flavourings into a pan and bring slowly to the boil. Remove from heat, cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain.
2. Melt the butter in a pan but do not allow it to brown then add the flour and stir until smooth. Cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes stirring all the time.
3. Remove from heat and add the milk, little by little, stirring after each addition to prevent any lumps forming.
4. Once all the milk has been added, bring the sauce to the boil, stirring continuously and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Season to taste.

Enjoy 8-)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:06 pm UTC

I made some millet with mashed banana and butter. Never had millet before. It got pretty mushy as I intended but also had quite a lot of texture remaining. I kept adding a little more water and simmering it a little more to get it creamier to no effect. Maybe that's not how millet works. I ate it with a few prunes. It was a lot like polenta, and it's cheap. I think I'll have it again.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

Add to mashed potatoes. Omnom.

TIL: if you spray Pam on baking cups, they may flatten the hell out and make adding the dough a superlatively awkward process.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:35 am UTC

I made spinach stuffed shells. They were fairly delicious, but ye gods, those boxes of large shell pasta make so many. In the box, it looks like a reasonable number. In the colander, it's just, "whyyyy are you still full of pasta? I don't have *that much* filling! Won't you ever go away??"

And then my perfectionism results in endlessly trying to reallocate appropriate amounts of filling from already filled shells (well, this is technically *slightly* more full than necessary...) to yet-to-be-filled shells, which a) is destined for failure, b) is a mess.

Also we just today purchased an immersion blender to replace ours that broke this past month, and I'm tempted to re-try, but with blending the ricotta and spinach mixture. It's fine as is, but I wonder if it wouldn't be better if homogenized.

I also recently made more quiche. Brie & asparagus for one and spinach & cheddar for the other. I may have gotten overly ridiculous with the former, as I decided herbes de Provence were a reasonable thing to go with such a Frenchy dish. Now I get bites of asparagus that taste like lavender over breakfast, which is distinctly weird.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 am UTC

Small serving of tagliatelle with garlic scape pesto. First time using my mortar and pestled for legitimate pestofication (as opposed to just muddling or squishing things a bit, or coarsely grinding nuts and such). Also my first time trying garlic scapes.

I have a nice piece of Copper River sockeye and some pea shoots I'll stir fry for the next course.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

Oooh, garlic scape pesto sounds like a really great idea. I need to try that at some point this summer. (Also, yay pea shoots!)

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 am UTC

Lamb chops and bulgar pilaf. Just a nice weekday dinner.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 am UTC

Using up various kinds of leftovers: frittata with garlic scapes, potatoes, bacon and Manchego, and a salad with pea shoots, bacon grease vinaigrette, pine nuts and capers. Despite blanching, the pea shoots were kind of tough.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:52 am UTC

Yesterday I put some nice meaty pork ribs to soak in a marinade of apple juice concentrate, maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic, ginger and onion.
Today I baked them all wrapped up, for 2.5 hours at 300F, then took of the wrapping, brushed them with leftover marinade (boiled some to thicken it) whislt letting them bake for another hour.
Will make again! And again, and again....
Last edited by PAstrychef on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:54 am UTC

Warm zucchini salad with pine nuts, garlic and Manchego.

Sauteed chicken liver, onions and bacon on toast.

Cherry clafouti.

Why did I cook a three course meal on a random weeknight? Hell if I know. Tasty, though.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

Last night used some leftover steak to make cheesesteak sandwiches. Sauteed onion, red bell pepper and some thin sliced serrano pepper, served with melted munster cheese on some sourdough vienna bread.

Tonight will be a basic pizza with some dough that's been in the fridge for a few days.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Last night I made plum cake! It came out pretty well, but people have hardly eaten any of it, because someone else brought senorita bread, which is like crack in baked good form. :(
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

Last night: Sichuan stir-fried liver.

This afternoon: syrniki (quark pancakes) and bacon.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Tried out my new (well, new to me, it was made in the 50s) Belgian waffle maker, make sourdough waffles. Next time I'll add more egg, and drop the oil a little I think. overall came out amazing though.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

Quiches have become the theme of my summer. This time one spring onion, green garlic and cheddar quiche and one spinach, onion and feta quiche.

My excuse here is that it's the best way to arrive at a reasonably quick breakfast that also includes vegetables.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:spring onion, green garlic and cheddar quiche

that sounds fan-fucking-tastic... Do you deliver?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Sandry wrote:spring onion, green garlic and cheddar quiche

that sounds fan-fucking-tastic... Do you deliver?

Definitely not across an ocean. :P

Return to “Food”