Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Today I Made:

Postby freezeblade » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

Banana nut muffins.

base is my buttermilk muffin recipe, which is a modification on an almond poppyseed muffin recipe, with the almonds and poppyseeds removed.

So. Good. got the bananas to stay in chunks by freezing them first, then dicing them up and folding them into the batter at the last minute.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:It also gives me a chance to experiment with this deglazing malarkey, which I've never really understood properly

Pan hot. Stuff stuck to pan. Add enough liquid to unstick stuck stuff. Not too much or pan not hot anymore. Works best when pan is heavy and hot, and stuck stuff is not too starchy.

Reduce and mainline.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 am UTC

This, roughly, on a pile of grits. Well, corn mush.

Mmm... mush.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 am UTC

Threw a bunch of random vegetables together and cooked them in olive oil with some sprigs of fresh thyme.

First cooked some potatoes, carrots, onions with the thyme until they started to get soft. Added green beans, broccoli, yellow squash, and chinese snow peas (in the pod) and when it was all just about done I threw in some cherry roma tomatoes.

Not bad.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:03 am UTC

I found something that my mother and I can both eat! (We have clashing conditions/restrictions/allergies/etc.)

Fry up some diced yams in vegan butter and some spices (cumin, turmeric, basil, salt). Spread in pan. Add layer of chopped asparagus, a sprinkle of snipped fresh basil, then some Swiss cheese (the only kind Mom will eat) and some diced tomato. Bake for a while and serve. Omnom.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 am UTC

Summer delisciousness-a peach blueberry cobbler. I did discover it's time for fresh ground cardamom, as the wonderful scent did not waft up from the container upon opening.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 am UTC

My in-laws brought me a huge flat of peaches fresh off the trees from a stand in the valley somewhere North of here. I fucking love this time of year.

But, I didn't cook anything with them. Instead I slow-roasted a pork butt like I like, this time using a mixture of achiote and turmeric, instead of 100% one way or the other. Always a great result. Yesterday was spicy spiralized daikon radish, and then I had a really good bone-in pork chop that I did not cook, so why am I mentioning it?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:05 am UTC

Today I made (well, yesterday I made, today I frosted) a trial run for my son's first birthday cake. This is the first frosted cake I've made in at least three years...and the first time I've ever used a pastry bag. I don't have a cake plate or any real frosting tools. I had to buy cake pans and a pastry bag (cheap from Ikea) just to make this cake. I kind of feel like having a few decent tools would help.
Attachments
0728141857.jpg
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 am UTC

The piped top looks ok, but you just need more icing on the sides. If the cake is crumbly, spread a thin layer on icing on the sides then freeze it for about 1/2 hour. Then you can spread on the rest of the icing without crumbs getting everywhere.
Of course, Leo will be happy to eat (gum?) cake even if there are crumbs where they don't belong.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

More like today I'm making (or starting really, it will be baked tomorrow).

Chai-spice sweet rolls.

Picture a ooey-gooey cinnamon roll, now picture the spicing as cardomom/ginger/cinnamon/allspice/black pepper. Replace the water in the sweet dough recipe for cold-brewed black tea, and replace some of the butter with unrefined coconut oil, and some of the sugar with unrefined palm sugar.

This should turn out amazing. I will post pictures when they are done.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

Fried potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes. Only knowing that I was going to make these kept me from eating all of the mashed potatoes with dinner last night.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

I made a really simple pasta and broccoli with a lemon garlic parmesan sorta sauce. This is becoming one of my "I have no patience, make the dinner happen NOW" type dishes. I suppose I could do worse.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

Wrapped curry chicken with mango, salad and kesam. Had some leftover really spice curry, mixed it with fried chicken, put on tortillas with cubes of mango, salad and some kesam. Yummy.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

2014-08-05 19.42.36.jpg

Sag Paneer.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:33 am UTC

Today I didn't realize that I was out of pasta. Then I tried to spiralize a butternut squash and bent the hell out of the tines on the damn thing. Then I found some soba noodles and ended up having almost sort of bolognese with vegetables over a mix of soba and butternut shapes.

Weird but you know what it tastes fine.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

sometimes you just want a hotdog.

Got some natural casing beef hotdogs.
home-made buns (based off of a basic sweet bread recipe, water roux method)
Sauteed onion and gipsy peppers (kinda like bell peppers, but smaller)
proper whole-grain brown mustard
kraut (home-made, made with purple cabbage. Young, only 5 days old today)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:sometimes you just want a hotdog.

Got some natural casing beef hotdogs.
home-made buns (based off of a basic sweet bread recipe, water roux method)
Sauteed onion and gipsy peppers (kinda like bell peppers, but smaller)
proper whole-grain brown mustard
kraut (home-made, made with purple cabbage. Young, only 5 days old today)

That sounds goood. It's a nice cooking theme to take a standard "cheap fast food" dish and make it really properly (yes, I know it's a restaurant cliché, but it's still nice to do at home). I did it once with fish-finger sandwiches:

Fresh sea bass cut into strips, bread-crumbed and oven-baked
Home-made bread (with a high preferment percentage), for both the breadcrumbs and the sandwich
Home-made tartare sauce made with home-made mayonnaise
Home-grown rocket for a garnish

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 am UTC

There's a whole online thing for the perfect homemade BLT, you have to cure/smoke the bacon, make the bread and mayo and grow the tomato and lettuce. Michael Rhulman started it on his website a few years ago.
I will never do this because a) I don't actually like to garden very much, and b) I hate eating raw tomatoes, so my sandwich is just bacon and lettuce on good bread with mayo. I do make the mayo.

Kristen23

Postby Kristen23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:08 am UTC

Cornflakes :P
Yep, I actually made cornflakes. And that's coz I woke up late and there was no time to make the pancakes I had planned to for breakfast.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:There's a whole online thing for the perfect homemade BLT, you have to cure/smoke the bacon, make the bread and mayo and grow the tomato and lettuce. Michael Rhulman started it on his website a few years ago.
I will never do this because a) I don't actually like to garden very much, and b) I hate eating raw tomatoes, so my sandwich is just bacon and lettuce on good bread with mayo. I do make the mayo.

Tomato is the overrated prima donna of the garden.

Bacon Lettuce on Toast is the way to go.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:52 am UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:
PAstrychef wrote:There's a whole online thing for the perfect homemade BLT, you have to cure/smoke the bacon, make the bread and mayo and grow the tomato and lettuce. Michael Rhulman started it on his website a few years ago.

Tomato is the overrated prima donna of the garden.

Bacon Lettuce on Toast is the way to go.

Tomato is overrated, except when it isn't - really good tomatoes (the kind that's hard to find outside italy) are sublime in a Caprese salad, or on bruschetta.

Oh, and as for toast you can't beat a proper grilled cheese - I don't like the heavyness of "pure" cheese on toast, so I make up a mix of really strong grated cheddar, mayo, horseradish sauce, Worcester sauce and freshly ground black pepper (you usually don't need salt as the cheese and Worcester sauce are both quite salty). Spread on pre-toasted bread and grill till bubbling.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Well, yesterday: Sourdough vienna pan bread, used a new method (for me) called "Tangzhong" (translates to water rox) where you basically make a wheat-paste with 5% of the total flour weight and 5x that amount of water, gelatinzing the starch by cooking it, then add it to the bread dough mix once it cools.

I was quite surprised with how moist and soft this causes the bread to turn out. I will be including this in my future soft-squishy sandwich breads/buns

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 am UTC

Quercus wrote:really good tomatoes (the kind that's hard to find outside italy)

As roll my eyes, so roll the eyes of 40 million other residents of California... not counting the potatoes

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

As roll my eyes, so roll the eyes of 40 million other residents of California... not counting the potatoes

Oh, okay - to qualify - the kind that's hard to find in Western Europe outside Italy (although you can sometimes get lucky in the South of France or in Spain)

roband

Postby roband » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:54 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:

Ah, you see, the difference is that in California they grow tomaytoes. This guy's looking for tomartoes.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:

Ah, you see, the difference is that in California they grow tomaytoes. This guy's looking for tomartoes.

I read this, didn't get it, then said it out loud, and laughed. Very good show, my good man.

Last night: Sautee of Kale, smoked sausage and potatoes, sort of a hunter's stew thing. Turned out amazing.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 am UTC

Yesterday (cause I'm a rebel like that) I made wraps with chickpeas and stuff.
Ingredients:
Chickpeas
Garlic
onion
cooking oil of some kind
salt
pepper
cumin
curry
tortillas
lactose-free sour cream (normal sour cream, or like kesam and stuff like that works probably too).
1 kiwi

Crush garlic, chop up onion, put oil on pan and fry until glossy. Throw in chickpeas. Spice liberally with curry, salt, pepper and whatever else is available. Dice the kiwi.
Warm tortillas. Smear tortillas with sourcream, put some of what's in the pan on top, insert kiwi, wrap. Om nom nom.
Last edited by AngrySquirrel on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

roband

Postby roband » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

Today I made a bacon, melted cheddar and leftover enchilada [spicy beef in wraps, covered in spicy tomato sauce, topped with mozzarella and tomatoes] toasted sandwich.

Not usually a fan of carbs in carbs, but the wraps were soaked in tomato sauce and the bread was well-toasted, so they didn't clash much.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:30 am UTC

I did not bake the sourdough. I did not catch or smoke the salmon. I did not cream the cheese. I did not grow the avocado or the olives or the cherries. But being the magnanimous sort of fellow that I am, I have absolutely no problem ingesting every one of these things, from now until forever.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

I've always really enjoyed sausage with peppers and onions, but we didn't have peppers, so last night I tried (fake) sausage with zucchini and onions. Seems like a valid life choice, and I enjoyed it. I just wish I'd had sub rolls, or similar.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:16 am UTC

Last night I made... an epic fail.

It started badly with me wanting to do "meat free Monday" but having left-over steak from the weekend in my sandwich for lunch.
I came home from work, made a bechamel sauce, added garlic, black pepper, spinach and cheese (unexpectedly out of feta).
When the sauce was done, I went to layer it with lasagne sheets... and discovered I had one left. One sheet.
So I thought I'd do a spanakopita type spinach pie, despite being behind schedule already, and made a quick suet pastry. I subbed the white flour for stone ground wholemeal.
Put it in the oven, went to fetch Hubby from work, late (it's a timed combi oven, don't fret).
Got home, opened the oven, then realised that in subbing the flour I forgot to add baking powder to account for the fact that the pastry calls for white SELF RAISING flour.
Hastily boiled some fettuccine, scraped off the thin, tasteless, brittle pie lid and scooped out all the filling.
Served spinach and cheddar fettuccine an hour later than usual like that's totally what I meant to do.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:18 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Last night I made... an epic fail.

It started badly with me wanting to do "meat free Monday" but having left-over steak from the weekend in my sandwich for lunch.
I came home from work, made a bechamel sauce, added garlic, black pepper, spinach and cheese (unexpectedly out of feta).
When the sauce was done, I went to layer it with lasagne sheets... and discovered I had one left. One sheet.
So I thought I'd do a spanakopita type spinach pie, despite being behind schedule already, and made a quick suet pastry. I subbed the white flour for stone ground wholemeal.
Put it in the oven, went to fetch Hubby from work, late (it's a timed combi oven, don't fret).
Got home, opened the oven, then realised that in subbing the flour I forgot to add baking powder to account for the fact that the pastry calls for white SELF RAISING flour.
Hastily boiled some fettuccine, scraped off the thin, tasteless, brittle pie lid and scooped out all the filling.
Served spinach and cheddar fettuccine an hour later than usual like that's totally what I meant to do.

I'd call that an epic recovery rather than an epic fail - it's only a fail if you end up chucking everything out and getting a takeaway instead.

Also, by abandoning the suet pastry you saved yourself from a double fail on the "meat free Monday" front, so really it's a win :wink: .

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Son-in-law eggs, e.g. boiled, fried, halved eggs covered with fried shallots, a palm-sugar-tamarind sauce, chiles and cilantro.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:I'd call that an epic recovery rather than an epic fail - it's only a fail if you end up chucking everything out and getting a takeaway instead.

Also, by abandoning the suet pastry you saved yourself from a double fail on the "meat free Monday" front, so really it's a win :wink: .

To be pedantic, I use Atora Light vegetarian "suet", which is made from palm oil I think, but that's my bad for not mentioning it; it would have been rather amusing had I been all "meat free yeah saving the world one steak dinner at a time!" and using actual suet.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 am UTC

Kung phat phong kari: shrimp stir fried with 'curry powder', egg, milk, and celery greens, from Leela P's book. (Being Indian, I'm required to put 'curry powder' in quotes.)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

And to pronounce it like the Spanish infinitive verb "poder"

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 am UTC

Hey now. India's a big country. Some of us pronounce it 'powdarr'.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:47 am UTC

Bavarian pretzels.

Well, kinda. I don't use lye, I use sodium carbonate (washing soda) instead. I just don't keep a jar of food-grade lye around, you know?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 am UTC

NaOH way!

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

Last night: a simple salad of pan-fried halloumi, blueberries, black pepper, a little red wine vinegar, and a splash of olive oil. Followed by orecchiette with pork and stuff.

Return to “Food”