Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

podbaydoor

Re: Today I Made:

Postby podbaydoor » Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Googling turned up the name "Atholl Brose." Googling also turned up the recipe for oat and honey cookies with whiskey.
http://www.cookworm.com/2008/01/18/oat- ... th-whisky/
I came up with these cookies while trying to figure out how to use up the rest of the delicious Chatsworth honey that Brilynn gave me months ago for Blogging By Mail. After musing on how well whisky would go with the honey, it only took a short session of tasting, mixing, and flying nuggets of butter (from enthusiastic whisking) before these yummy little guys were born. They are soft, buttery-sweet, and somewhat delicate, with a note of whisky that is subtle but distinct.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri May 06, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

I am very proud of myself today because I just put some things together and made my own pasta! I am sure there's a recipe somewhere that's like mine but I didn't look at it so it is MAI IDEA! MINE!

/me gobbles up self-made pasta
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 am UTC

I made brownies. I cheated and used a mix. Oh well.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon May 09, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Today I made pancakes. In multiple flavours. Because I am slightly crazy.

So in total, there were: raspberry earl grey pancakes, chai pancakes, chocolate chai pancakes, chocolate chip chocolate chai pancakes. (The last three were basically, "this is nice... what if I had some....")
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon May 09, 2011 7:36 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Today I made pancakes. In multiple flavours. Because I am slightly crazy.

So in total, there were: raspberry earl grey pancakes, chai pancakes, chocolate chai pancakes, chocolate chip chocolate chai pancakes. (The last three were basically, "this is nice... what if I had some....")

Those sound like pretty good combinations. Did you just put some brewed tea in the batter?

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Those sound like pretty good combinations. Did you just put some brewed tea in the batter?

Yeah. natraj originally suggested it with earl grey, and I liked that so much that I started experimenting. I've been specifically brewing the tea double strength when doing it, and then it's just subbing in tea for milk in the recipe.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

I made pancakes yesterday. No bananas around so no banana slices in the pancakes. Just plain.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Took ground venison, browned it, mixed in corn, beans, and a bottle of beer. cooked off some liquid and ate it with cheddar. no idea what that would be called except for yummy.
418 I'm a teapot

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 12, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Grilled veal chop and roasted cauliflower. Good stuff.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu May 12, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Hey Pchef, what did you end up doing with the venison roast?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Hey Pchef, what did you end up doing with the venison roast?

Went to NY for two weeks, so it's still in the freezer.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 12, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Today I'm making habernero cream pasta, and hopefully I don't burn my eyes again when I remove my contact lenses.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu May 12, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

I made some lamb and butternut curry last night and it was good.

I should also really have posted after my epic epic epic Delia Smith self saucing chocolate puddings on Sunday. Best Sunday lunch dessert recipe ever.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 12, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

What is self-saucing? My 5 minute attempt to find an answer from google has only gotten me recipes.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Also known as fondant puddings in some circles, I think; basically it's a thick and gooey chocolate batter that gets cooked through on the outside but it doesn't set on the inside so when you stick your spoon into it, the middle is basically thick chocolate sauce.

I cooked mine a little past that point because I don't like taking any chances with raw egg, but they were still soft and gooey in the middle and absolutely divine.
Spoiler:

edit: spoilered the pic to try and contain the delicious
Last edited by Moo on Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Oh okay, I've heard of fondant. Thanks!

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Made some really good white cheddar scalloped potatoes.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Technically yesterday, spinach and mushroom risotto. I have recently discovered spinach - where has it been all my life? Om nom.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu May 12, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

You should try spinach and artichoke dip if you haven't! We have to make a batch every week because we can't get enough.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu May 12, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

I've never tired artichoke either! Sounds like something I need to look into.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 pm UTC

Artichokes are an art form. To get an idea of the taste, get some frozen (NOT CANNED) artichoke hearts and sauté them briefly in a bit of olive oli. Or steam them and dip into melted butter. The whole artichoke is steamed or boiled, then the leaves are snapped off one by one and dipped in melted butter. When you get to the heart, you scrape off the fuzzy bit (the choke) and eat the heart out. Be sure to have a bowl for the leaves and a bib and several napkins to help contain the butter. It's simlar to eating lobster or crabs in the shell.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri May 13, 2011 1:40 am UTC

A Cheesecake! From scratch! And it turned out beautifully.

Well, deliciously anyways, it was a little broken *L* I used a chocolate cheesecake recipe but I was mystified and afraid of water bath recipes so I used one that didn't call for that. The cake turned out fine but it was a little broken from rising in the oven and then re-setting in the pan. Regardless of that it was completely delicious and the girlfriend was most appreciative. Now I just need to figure out how to cut the damn thing without it coming apart for the next one. Next time: Cherry.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 am UTC

To cut cheesecake (or other cakes of a soft nature), dip the knife in hot water, dry it quickly and cut. Repeat for each slice.
Using a water bath will make the edges of your cheesecake cook at the same rate as the center. To avoid cracking, bake until the center 4" or so still jiggle a bit when you shake the pan. Then turn off the oven and prop the door open and let it stay there for an hour longer. Then chill over night. If it still cracks, you can top it with a bit of sweetened sour cream.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 am UTC

Also, don't try to use a springform pan in conjunction with a water bath... or try it, and quickly learn why you shouldn't, like I did.
I don't know what to do for you

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 13, 2011 2:57 am UTC

What other pan are you going to use for cheesecake? I'm not sure what problem you're referring to that has to do with a springform pan and a water bath. That's... kind of how you make cheesecake?

Wait, did you put it directly into the bath without foil?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 am UTC

There was leakage at the seam of the springform pan, and his cheesecake was soggy. To avoid that, wrap the bottom of the pan in foil far enough up the sides that the water can' get in.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat May 14, 2011 5:00 am UTC

I've never used a water bath...my cheesecakes have *usually* cracked on top, but not always. If I turn off the oven and let my cheesecake sit, and then sit some more with the door open, and then chill, they sometimes don't crack. I have found, however, that the cracks are easily covered by cherry/strawberry/etc. topping, and, more importantly, I cannot taste the cracks.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat May 14, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Today I Made: A full sized tuna lasagne, and a wee one in a little dish 'cause there was some stuff left over. Some is now in the fridge for tomorrow, and masses of it is cut up and frozen for later in the week.

Also, I tried to make some chocolate sauce to pour over my ice cream, but it failed quite a bit. It's still edible, but it turned into a kind of hard chocolate toffee...substance.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Sat May 14, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

I made mac and cheese for lunch - and not the KD kind.

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Meatballs!

Its the recipe my mom gave me and the first time making them, so lets hope they turn out well. Well, I modified the seasonings a little bit to my tastes.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon May 16, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Yesterday I made two things.
1) A french toast casserole I'd been meaning to do for a while (and was a good idea to do it, as I'd gotten day old bread earlier in the week and wanted to get it used before it went bad). That turned out pretty tasty, but I think in the future I will add some nuts. Probably pecans.

2) A Thai-inspired soup with egg, red rice, craptonnes of spinach and cilantro, some additional veggies, veggie broth, coconut milk, and seasoning.

It was pretty good, and I will definitely have to do it again, but we didn't have anything in the house appropriate to enspicify it at the time. I used a little bit of cayenne just to see if I could add some kick to it without it being, "WTF is that flavour doing here?" but it didn't particularly take. Next time I will definitely have to get something more useful to add before embarking on the idea again.

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Whole wheat bread, with a dash of molasses. I call it The Whole Wheat Whonder, or BROman Meal:
whonder2.jpg
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 am UTC

This weekend I made:
- yummy cheese scones
- a very disappointing risotto (too much lemon! The internet said I can substitute diluted lemon juice for the wine and it just ruined it)

Mixed success, I guess?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that the alcohol in the wine would largely cook out in a risotto, if that's why the substitution was made.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon May 23, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

No, it's because I'm not opening a bottle of wine for a fraction of a cup of wine, then having it go to waste because I'm not drinking and Hubby's not into white wine.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

YIM: banana bread with chocolate chips. Sometimes I forget just how simple that is.

Back in college we used to do some variant on it where instead of using butter, we subbed in OJ to be lower in fat and interestingly tasty. I have to give that a go again, if I can remember what exactly we did... or I guess I could try what the internet recommends.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Tue May 24, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

I was screwing around, and ended up pan-frying ground venison, then stewed it with ranch style beans, corn and Cola.

And it was super delicious.
418 I'm a teapot

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

Egg and toast for breakfast. :)

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu May 26, 2011 3:27 am UTC

I cooked for my parents today. I've never done this before, but it seemed to go well!
I just cut up stuff (chicken, bacon, peppers, courgette, spring onion, onion) and fried it, so not anything amazing, but they seemed to like it.
Yay!
I mostly lurk. Hello.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 26, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Pork with garlic and pepper. Simple dish from True Thai, but still a nice dinner. Tomorrow making a bunch of stuff to freeze to take camping (well, to the Ren Faire) for the weekend.

Return to “Food”