Chicken

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

anterovipunen

Chicken

Postby anterovipunen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

I just bought two chickens, I have no idea what to do.

Does anyone know how to cook roast chicken? I know it's 2hours at 180 degrees celcius. I was thinking of wrapping the chickens in foil to stop evaporation. Does anyone know what to do before you put the chicken in the oven? I have stuffing, and was thinking garlic and bacon on the outside stuffing and onion on the inside.

If you know how to cook a mean roast chicken give me some tips, i'm going to surf the web for ideas.

justaman

Re: Chicken

Postby justaman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

anterovipunen wrote:I just bought two chickens, I have no idea what to do.

Does anyone know how to cook roast chicken? I know it's 2hours at 180 degrees celcius. I was thinking of wrapping the chickens in foil to stop evaporation. Does anyone know what to do before you put the chicken in the oven? I have stuffing, and was thinking garlic and bacon on the outside stuffing and onion on the inside.

2 hours? How big a bird is it? Try 20 min per pound, plus 20 min at the end at 180 ˚C. So I guess a 5 pound chicken will be 2 hours.

A fairly good recipe below:
* Chicken 1.6-1.8 kg
* Oil
* Salt
* Pepper
* 1 lemon wedge
* 3 Streaky bacon rashers, rindles
* Vegetables: pumpkin, potatoes, kumara and peas

Herb Stuffing:

* 3 rashers bacon, rind less and chopped.
* 2 slices toast bread
* 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs or 2 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs
* 1 lemon grated rind then cut the lemon into wedges
* 1 egg beaten
* Salt and pepper for taste
* Milk to bind
* 1 onion, chopped

Preparing stuffing:
Fry the bacon in its own fat with out browning and drain it on absorbent kitchen paper. The mix it with the remaining ingredients moistening with enough milk or stock to bind the mixture.

Cooking Method:
Wash the inside of the bird and stuff it with the herb stuffing. To add flavour, put lemon wedges in the body of the chicken.

Brush the chicken with oil, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and put it in a shallow roasting tin. Lay streaky bacon over the breast to prevent it becoming too dry.
Cook in the oven at 190 degree and allowing 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes. Put a piece of aluminium boil over the breast if the skin becomes too brown.
After 30 minutes, put the vegetables into the pan, adding more oil if necessary
Turn vegetables occasionally to brown on all sides.

When the chicken is cooked, remove it and the vegetables from the roasting pan and keep warm. Make gravy with some chicken stock, mixed with the pan juices and thicken with a little corn flour and water. Simmer until desired consistency.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 am UTC

I normally don't bother with stuffing and instead just chuck some whole unpeeled cloves of garlic, lemon wedges and sprigs of rosemary in the cavity but you can use stuffing if you like. The wetness of the stuffing or the juices of the lemon also helps to keep it moist. Don't wrap it in foil, because the skin won't crisp. It's also good to rub over the skin with oil or butter, this helps it to brown and also to crisp up really nicely. Fold the wing tips under so that they're not sticking up and they won't burn.

Cook the chicken on a wire rack on top of an oven tray to let the heat circulate, this way you can also put some water in the tray if you're worried about keeping it moist, but it's not like a turkey where you really have to worry about basting and all that (not that I am a turkey cooking expert.) I don't know pounds but our rule of thumb is half an hour per 500g. To test the chicken, pierce the flesh where the leg meets the body with a skewer and look at the juices. If they're still pink and bloody, it's not done. If they're clear, take your chicken out and rest it for like 10 minutes while you sort out the rest of the meal.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:24 am UTC

We usually put strips of bacon over rather than oil or butter rubbing--same deal--and tasty bacon as a reward.

But hermaj chicken sounds super tasty. :D

You don't need to cover it in foil because chicken doesn't cook very long--turkey cooks for ages, for instance, and needs to be covered for part of the cooking.

You can also cook vegetables in the pan with the chicken if you're so inclined--root veggies and onions etc.
Rice Puddin.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Best Roast Chicken ever:
Turn the oven to broil.
Rinse the chicken off, inside and out. Make sure there aren't any bags of innards still inside. Deal with the innards later.
Get a heavy sharp knife and slice the bird open along the breast bone. Pull the halves apart and press down on the spine until the bird lies pretty flat.
Line a 9"x13" baking pan with foil. Fit the bird into it, skin side down. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Broil for about 5 minutes, then turn the bird over, again sprinkle with S,P and lemon juice and put back under the broiler. The pan should be about 8" from the flames or element. When the skin has begun to blister and the higher parts are turning a nice dark brown turn the oven to 375F.
Peel 4-5 medium potatoes, variety of your choice. Fit them in the pan around the bird, turning them so that they're coated in pan juices. Let everything cook undisturbed for about 30 minutes. Carefully turn the spuds, trying not to leave the crunchy outsides stuck to the foil. Let cook for another 30 minutes. Turn the oven off. Get the rest of dinner ready-make a salad or cook some green beans.
Serve and enjoy.
Should the spuds stick to the foil you can just peel the bits and eat them in the kitchen as a cook's treat.
As for the innards, I feed the liver and gizzard to my cats and freeze the rest for soup. You can fry them in a bit of butter if you like to eat them your self. You can even just throw them away without guilt, I mean, it's not like the chicken can use them anymore, nor is there a big market for chicken organ transplants....
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

jamaila

Postby jamaila » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

I'm a diehard subscriber to the Barefoot Contessa method of roasting chicken, pasted below - but I'll note that the single most valuable tool in roasting any meat is a good thermometer. I have one that stays in the meat while it's roasting and extends out of the stove to a digital unit with an alarm, and you can just set it to ring when your meat has reached the appropriate temperature. I don't even use a timer anymore. It's awesome.

Perfect Roast Chicken

* 1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
* Kosher salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
* 1 lemon, halved
* 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
* 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
* 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
* 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
* 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
* Olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.

Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.

Return to “Food”