slow roasting chicken

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

AntonGarou

slow roasting chicken

Postby AntonGarou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Hi, I've got some chicken legs&thighs I want to slow roast i.e. 120C for 3.5-4 hours with foil on the baking dish to stop evaporation. The two sauces I used previously were soy sauce&honey or silan(date syrup) with some spices- any ideas for other things to make them with, since I don't feel like either?
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: slow roasting chicken

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:17 am UTC

Orange juice, honey and cumin. 4 oz. OJ, 2 oz. Honey, 1 TBS ground cumin.
And pull off that foil for at least half of your cooking time, the evaporation causes the glaze to thicken and make a luscious crust. Otherwise you get flabby, rubbery skin that's no fun at all.
Barbecue is always great, beer and mustard and tarragon would be nice, a rub of garlic and ginger and parsley with some olive oil.....
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:28 am UTC

Thanks for the proposal, but I think this one should go on the other chicken roasting thread don't do whole roast chicken- mainly because I don't feel like dismembering it before eating, not to mention I don't have the right tools for said dismemberment. Also, I very much prefer to roast chicken at lower temps, since I'm an avid fan of slow cooking- it means that if I miss the mark by 10 minutes(has been known to happen, especially while I'm busy) the chicken won't burn.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Here, this is how you chop up a chicken.

You can't tell me we're not meant to eat these things. They fall apart when they're cooked, they chop into handy bits before they're cooked...

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

The orange-honey-cumin glaze can be used to good effect on whole chickens, chicken parts, pork chops, pork tenderloins, quail, venison steaks......
It will work fine on a slow roasted item as well.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Pastrychef, the glaze sounded like it was meant for chicken parts- due to various incidents I'll be trying it in a week or so, and reporting the results then. I was replying to a post that was apparently deleted without a placeholder left about roasting whole chicken.

Axmen, I'm paranoid about cutting myself with the knife due to having inferior coordination, and I really don't feel like going through the trouble when I can get the butcher, who is much more experienced and has better tools, do it for me.

AntonGarou

Postby AntonGarou » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:30 am UTC

Pastrychef- I tried your glaze and it worked great, thanks for the recipe. Next time I'll try adding tumeric- it tends to go well with cumin, in my experience.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Glad you liked it! :D

Return to “Food”