Help!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gia

Help!

Postby Gia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 am UTC

I have to develop a menu as a class project that fits my personality. I want to make mine geeky; based on things geeks eat (ramen, mountain dew, etc), and that play on geek culture (ex: hoth chocolate). I don't actually have to make anything, but I need to be able to develop approximate recipes. I need two each of appetizers, salads, soups, entrees, and desserts and I have to name each dish. What I've come up with so far:

(updated)
Appetizers
-definitely chips of some sort
-edamame (soy-lent)
Salads
-I found a recipe for red bull salad dressing (which I need to test before I would feel comfortable using)
-Cthulhumari Salad
Soups
-romulan ale and cheese soup
-?
Entrees
-maybe coffee steak (with taters and mixed veggies)
-? (plus starch and veggie)
Desserts
-cappuchino and biscotti, a la java and cookies (plus we all run on coffee anyway)
-BlackBerry cobbler, though I doubt I can get away with the copyright infringement. I'll probably have to come up with an alternative.

I also had an idea of making an "easter" egg dish with some sort of surprise, though I don't know how I could associate "surprise" with "food" and not turn people away. Any ideas or input would be very much appreciated (this part of the project is due on Monday); if this works out I'll have the coolest project in the class.
Last edited by Gia on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Help!

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 am UTC

Starting at the bottom of the list, blackberries make a wonderful cobbler-and don't worry about copyright for this size project.
There are several recipes out there for ham cooked in cola. And steaks either braised in coffee of crusted with coffee grounds.
You could use edamame for soy-lent green.
If you offer calmari it has to Lovecraftian.
For soup a beer and cheese number would be nice.
And the ramen-it can be made with real dashi and miso, not the flavor packets.
There's a long history of dishes with a surprise inside-jam filled muffins, giant raviolis with an egg poached inside, etc.
Hope this helps.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Gia

Postby Gia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:59 am UTC

I suppose I could make a romulan ale and cheese soup, even if it can't be blue.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:35 am UTC

For chips... you could use nacho cheese... or you could use a dip, like cheese spray mixed with tuna and sour cream.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 am UTC

Gia wrote:things geeks eat (ramen, mountain dew, etc)

Oh, dear. What a skewed picture of geeks... I associate that diet more with gamers, and specifically young people, as the hope is that anyone who lives in the first world and has money to waste on colored sugarwater will eventually grow out of it and educate themselves to some sort of bare minimum about nutrition.

I actually have a Star Wars cookbook that has Hoth Chocolate in it. It's called "Wookie Cookies, and Other Galactic Recipes". What about Redwall recipes? There's an old thread in this forum about making up recipes for fictional courses, and some of those you can actually make with real recipes, like dandelion cordial.
Gia wrote:I'd also love to make something based on soylent green, but I'm clueless as to what or how.

It's made of people! The wife asks, do you have a roommate you dislike? (I was thinking more gingerbread men, gummi people, that sort of thing.)

BUT SERIOUSLY, again, this is a forum where we have a lot of cooking geeks. Hello! You won't catch me drinking Mountain Dew anytime soon. Or that toxic fast-food nacho cheese. You must be more specific with your categorization, or I will projectile vomit all over your thread.

Do you have a copy of the Achewood Cookbook? The drink of the future would be a good aperetif.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Gia

Postby Gia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 am UTC

The problem is that no one else in my class is at all geeky. These things need to be pretty obvious or easy to explain. Unfortunately I don't own very many cookbooks, but if you have any recipes you can recommend from the ones you mentioned that would be great!

Return to “Food”