Bacon!!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

How do you like your bacon?

Rubbery around the edges(fat isn't cooked much. Lot of white spots and curls)
17%
The more likely to chip my tooth the better(nearly burned. Lot of black spots)
5%
Crispy, not burnt (consistent texture. brown all over)
64%
Otter/duck
5%
I don't eat bacon because I dislike it. (I'm Hitler)
3%
I don't eat bacon because of my beliefs.
6%

Total votes: 86

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Bacon!!

Postby Earlz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

So how do you guys like your bacon. I tried to put everything I could think of
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Nath

Re: Bacon!!

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

I like bacon sliced reasonably thick, and still chewy. I like British style back bacon more than the burnt streaky bacon popular in the US.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

"I don't eat bacon because of my beliefs" -- I believe my doctor when he says that eating animal products will shorten the lifespan of my kidneys. (Edit for clarity: I have kidney disease. They're still functioning, but getting weaker over the years.)

Earlier in life, though, I had some issues with bacon. If it was perfectly browned so there was no gooey icky fat still white-larding at me, I was okay with it. (I also preferred the back bacon style, closer to ham I guess than streaky bacon.) The flavour was kind of okay, nothing that I'd go crazy for. I wasn't a big fan of most pork products, though.

/part vegetarian, part Hitler, I guess :twisted:
Last edited by poxic on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

poxic wrote:"I don't eat bacon because of my beliefs" -- I believe my doctor when he says that eating animal products will shorten the lifespan of my kidneys.

I believe my doctor and my wife when they tell me that bacon fat is bad for me. I'm also nominally Jewish. However, none of this stops me liking well-cooked, preferably non-smoked streaky bacon butties. Sorry. I'll just drink more red wine and stay confused about the Jewish thing.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Back bacon-cut thick enough to almost be gammon-slightly cripsy. On a sandwich with red sauce. Om nom nom nom!
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:59 am UTC

My typical breakfast order: Two eggs over-hard, bacon well done, no toast. :D I like it crispy but not shatter prone.

I like bacon--streaky is common here, I also like back bacon/pemeal bacon and that strange streaky/back bacon combo that they have in the UK.
Rice Puddin.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Ah yes, the varieties of pork product that are called bacon. They don't all come from the same part of the pig, either. I like belly bacon cooked crispy and back bacon nicely browned. Pancetta gets crumbled for use in sauces. Peameal bacon gets fried up in butter.
They're all wonderful.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 am UTC

Crispy, but not burnt. Also, can I just add that bacon is meat candy?
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I like Canadian bacon...(what Canadians call 'bacon', not what Americans call "Canadian bacon" ).

It's the same streaky bacon (I think) but not as fatty. It has a better flavour in my opinion, but it doesn't get hard and crispy like American bacon does unless you cook the @$@ out of it.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 am UTC

voidPtr wrote:I like Canadian bacon...(what Canadians call 'bacon', not what Americans call "Canadian bacon" ).

It's the same streaky bacon (I think) but not as fatty. It has a better flavour in my opinion, but it doesn't get hard and crispy like American bacon does unless you cook the @$@ out of it.

We have lean bacon here in the states too....

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Aye, I'm with voidPtr, extra lean, extra thick bacon. Even thoughroughly and evenly cooked it's not QUITE completely crispy, has a little give to it. I could eat it till my heart explodes.

That said, saying "my doctor says bacon is not good for my health" should sort of be taken as a given, shouldn't it? I mean, if your doctor hasn't said that it's only because you haven't asked him (or he hasn't seen you munching on a fistful of awesome)
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

There are different levels of "bad for you". Bacon is "bad for you", meaning for everyone, in the general sense of being loaded with fat and carcinogens or whateverthehell. That kind of "bad for you" is perfectly fine in moderation, not so much in immoderation. Like alcohol or sugar, it's a treat to be enjoyed wisely and immensely.

There's also the specific kind of "bad for you", as in "if you, personally, eat bacon even in moderation, you in particular will suffer adverse health consequences". That's the sort of "bad for you" that I have, and from the sounds of it maybe Jumble too. Like Krispy Kreme doughnuts for a diabetic, or a shot of whiskey for a recovering alcoholic, it's just a Bad IdeaTM.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Bacon can't be bad for you! It tastes too good.

It's the communist propaganda that wants you to believe bacon has adverse health affects. 8)

I like bacon with syrup on it. Or mixed with scrambled eggs and cheese. Crispy bacon, not burned, is the best. Chewy has it's place though.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Mishrak wrote:Bacon can't be bad for you! It tastes too good.

Nearly everything that tastes good is bad for you. It's common knowledge. Bacon = delicious and bad for you. Okra = not nearly as delicious and good for you.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:24 am UTC

No; things taste good because they are good for you. Fat and even sugar are great, concentrated sources of energy; they are life savers if you're in a situation where you have to worry about malnutrition (like humans have been for most of their history). The problem is that we can cheaply produce so much of this stuff today that it takes effort not to massively overeat these healthy, delicious things to the point where they do more much harm than good, particularly given that we are now a mostly sedentary species.

Also, okra is delicious. People who think otherwise have never had it cooked right.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:52 am UTC

Nath wrote:Also, okra is delicious. People who think otherwise have never had it cooked right.

But is it as delicious as bacon?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

There's no way okra is as delicious as bacon.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Well, no.

inexplicable

Postby inexplicable » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

I'm really surprised that more people haven't gone for the first choice. It seems like rubbery bacon has more flavor. And yeah, it has more fat, but nonetheless there is more substance.
Admiral Ackbar o's Cereal wrote:You can't handle flavor of this magnitude!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

If by substance you mean substantially icky texture...
Rice Puddin.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

I've got to confess a liking for German bacon. Its a large, circular, thick thing, and is fried until the edge is crispy, the centre still chewy. With an egg cracked on top and fried until the yolks just starting to thicken...

Delicious.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

I used to only eat bacon rubbery, but I got kind of sick of it. These days, I like my bacon thick-cut and slow-cooked to a good crisp. Thick cut means there's a lot of fat to melt out, slow-cooked means it spends plenty of time cooking in it and soaking it back up, so every bite is crispy but also juicy.

Plus, then I've got a pan of bacon grease left over to make fried eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches in.

inexplicable

Postby inexplicable » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:If by substance you mean substantially icky texture...

Are you kidding me? It's amazing! It makes me feel so goooooood ^_^

RoadieRich wrote:I've got to confess a liking for German bacon. Its a large, circular, thick thing, and is fried until the edge is crispy, the centre still chewy. With an egg cracked on top and fried until the yolks just starting to thicken...

Delicious.

You sir, have given me a new life goal.
Admiral Ackbar o's Cereal wrote:You can't handle flavor of this magnitude!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

My favorite bacon-like substance outside of bacon is Prosciutto. Seriously, some of the best cold cuts I've had on a sandwich ever.

Another nice thing about crunchy bacon is you can make really good sandwiches out of it. Eggs + Crunchy Bacon + toasty toast = woo. Salsa if you're feeling adventurous.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

That sounds like it would work even better with sliced grilled tomatoes instead of salsa.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Would definitely work great with tomatoes. I'm not big on fresh or grilled ones myself, but a good idea nonetheless. And I forgot: Cheese. Very important. Swiss or cheddar. Potato bread is also fantastic.

Now I'm hungry.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am UTC

I found a magic product at my local favorite ethnic market-stuffed bacon.
This is slab bacon that has been split and loaded with a mildly spicy sausage mixture and rolled closed. It's about 8" in diameter. I got 1/4" slices and fried them up and served them on toast. I think it's a German thing, but there are so many countries found at this store that it's hard to tell.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

jschulter

Postby jschulter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:02 am UTC

That definitely sounds German to me. Though the excess that is meat stuffed with other meats does have a distinctly American flair, so possibly some combination there.

RoadieRich wrote:I've got to confess a liking for German bacon. Its a large, circular, thick thing, and is fried until the edge is crispy, the centre still chewy. With an egg cracked on top and fried until the yolks just starting to thicken...

Delicious.

Please elaborate! Are there any other names for this(perhaps you know the word for it in German) or any other way for me to figure out what this actually is? Because it sounds pretty good :)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:05 am UTC

Mishrak wrote:My favorite bacon-like substance outside of bacon is Prosciutto. Seriously, some of the best cold cuts I've had on a sandwich ever.

The best meat product I have ever had was prosciutto. that stuff is like bacon, only better. I didn't think it was possible, but it is.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
Mishrak wrote:My favorite bacon-like substance outside of bacon is Prosciutto. Seriously, some of the best cold cuts I've had on a sandwich ever.

The best meat product I have ever had was prosciutto. that stuff is like bacon, only better. I didn't think it was possible, but it is.

You guys need to check out Serrano Ham as well then. That stuff is amazing! I normally have it in a baguette with sliced artichoke and goat's cheese.

back on topic: I like bacon in all guises, but streaky smoked bacon griddled to a crisp is probably my overall favourite.

//drool

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:02 am UTC

Bake your bacon!
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 am UTC

Eh, baked bacon isn't nearly as good as pan bacon, I think. I like the wavy, crunchy texture.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 am UTC

The absolute best way to cook bacon is over a campfire. I shit you not. 100% beautiful genius divine David Bowie perfection.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 am UTC

But everything, even bisquick pancakes and hotdogs, taste great when cooked over a campfire. BECAUSE YOU ARE CAMPING.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
voidPtr wrote:I like Canadian bacon...(what Canadians call 'bacon', not what Americans call "Canadian bacon" ).

We have lean bacon here in the states too....

for what it's worth... I've never *seen* fattier bacon than the stuff I bought in Canada. Admittedly from a tiny grocer in a ski resort village, so maybe not indicative of what is common, but it was ridiculous (I'm talking about pouring a few mm of liquid fat out of the bottom of the panty more than once while cooking up 3 rashers, with no oil in the pan to start...).

I prefer to cut the fat off the bacon I buy, then cook it until it just starts going crispy. I like scrambled eggs with a fair bit of pepper in it and a thick slice of lightly toasted (some kind of grainy) bread to go with it.

Return to “Food”