Onion Rings

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Re: Onion Rings

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:17 am UTC

Other foods that fit the starch/fat/crunch bill:

Croquets (from everywhere--Asia and Europe primarily), Pierogies if fried, Chinese Roast Pork (yum), Papadum, Samosa, Beigne/donuts/loukoumades (originally all of Europe and now everywhere else too), Churros, Falafel (sorta)....
Rice Puddin.

sippawitz

Postby sippawitz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:36 am UTC

i think you guys have raised it to an artform though...

who else on the planet attempts to make food more energy dense, in a time of plenty?

anyway, i'm not trying to troll, it was just something i find amusing...

Axman

Postby Axman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Frying food isn't new, it dates back well before anyone knew what plenty was; it was a way to stretch meager amounts of food and preserve it. Pakora is a great example of stretching: mix stems and trimmings with germ flour and spices. Southern fried chicken* might seem like a ridiculous extravagance, but it dates back to a time and place where a family would eat one chicken a week, and there was no such thing as refrigeration.

Just so happens it's also tits. *Because it's seasoned, dredged, battered, fried, then seasoned again. It is not like the rest of the world's fried chicken, it is better.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

sippawitz wrote:i think you guys have raised it to an artform though...

who else on the planet attempts to make food more energy dense, in a time of plenty?

anyway, i'm not trying to troll, it was just something i find amusing...

a.) everyone
b.) if you're really not trying to troll tell us what culture you happen to be a part of and I'm sure we can educate you about the delicious fried foods of your own

Rinsaikeru wrote:Other foods that fit the starch/fat/crunch bill:

Croquets (from everywhere--Asia and Europe primarily), Pierogies if fried, Chinese Roast Pork (yum), Papadum, Samosa, Beigne/donuts/loukoumades (originally all of Europe and now everywhere else too), Churros, Falafel (sorta)....

Don't forget Gyozas!
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

This thread is making me hungry. :D
Rice Puddin.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:This thread is making me hungry. :D

No kidding, couple nights ago I just HAD to go out and get pakoras from my favorite Indian place. Sadly I've sinced moved out of their delivery radius but it was worth the trip.

soon... soon I shall have them at home. Now if only I had a csi style lab to know exactly which spices they use for the coating -_^
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

sippawitz

Postby sippawitz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:a.) everyone
b.) if you're really not trying to troll tell us what culture you happen to be a part of and I'm sure we can educate you about the delicious fried foods of your own

haha dude, i'm from a culture that steers away from fried food, but i'm a half greek half german from australia...

and my mum always says i cook with too much olive oil :oops:

arent gyozas pan fried? they are around here.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:45 am UTC

They can be steamed, baked or fried.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 am UTC

sippawitz wrote:haha dude, i'm from a culture that steers away from fried food, but i'm a half greek half german from australia...

You're shitting me, right?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:44 am UTC

Well, the first picture on http://www.greecefoods.com/ IS fried calamari, but who are we to tell him about his culture?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Well, the first picture on http://www.greecefoods.com/ IS fried calamari, but who are we to tell him about his culture?

I was gonna say... I don't think I've ever eaten Greek food without fried calamari...

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:39 am UTC

I don't think I've ever HAD calamari. Four limbs is kind of my limit.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Decker wrote:I don't think I've ever HAD calamari. Four limbs is kind of my limit.

Shame you're missing out. Deep fried with tzatziki, it's good stuff. I suppose the somewhat chewy texture of the calamari turns people off though.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

That means it's been overcooked. It shouldn't be tough at all. Many cooks don't know how to make calamari; they fry it 'til they're golden, which in the case of squid, is burnt.

Yet another reason to fry at home...

One way to make calamari look like it's fried golden is to use brown flour in the batter (or dredge, if you're going classic) like graham flour.

sippawitz

Postby sippawitz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:43 am UTC

This post had objectionable content.Holy shit. A post that makes me realize we need a Banned From High Culture group.

Wow.

-ST

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

Oh dear.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

sippawitz wrote:the very fact you have a thread devoted deep fried onions is kinda funny, and just reinforces my notion that 85% of american food is deep fried crap (the other 15% is Oh me yarm friggin awesome though, so don't be too offended)

You tell me that 85% of my food is garbage, yet I shouldn't be offended?

Right.

Read this please.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Axman wrote:That means it's been overcooked. It shouldn't be tough at all. Many cooks don't know how to make calamari; they fry it 'til they're golden, which in the case of squid, is burnt.

Yet another reason to fry at home...

One way to make calamari look like it's fried golden is to use brown flour in the batter (or dredge, if you're going classic) like graham flour.

Interesting, I suppose thinking back the calamari I've had has always looked kind of golden... Perhaps I Shall have to mix up my Greek eating location and see if they have better calamari at another. At least that's the nice thing about living in the lower mainland, tons of eating venues for every conceivable type of food.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:At least that's the nice thing about living in the lower mainland, tons of eating venues for every conceivable type of food.

Amen. I can find Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Brazilian, Vietnamese, German, Russian, Afghani, southern USaian, all manner of bog-standard Western fare, and at least a dozen other cuisines I can't remember right now. I can find different price levels of almost all of those. I can find good, middling, and not-so-good places, at different price levels, for many of those.

There's just a hella lot of real good (and cheap-and-decent, and occasionally crummy) food around here. Omnomnom. I just wish New York Fries had ordinary mayo that I could mix with other condiments, sometimes. They started carrying dijon mayo, but y'know, sometimes I'm not into mustarded fries. (Fritz, down the road on Davie, is too far away to pick up a nosh during lunchtime, otherwise I'd be all over that. Forty kinds of dip for your fries. OMNOMNOMNOM.)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

sippawitz wrote:the very fact you have a thread devoted deep fried onions is kinda funny, and just reinforces my notion that 85% of american food is deep fried crap (the other 15% is Oh me yarm friggin awesome though, so don't be too offended)

Who do you think made this thread? Barack Obama? The Marlboro Man? No, when we come back down to reality we can see that it was a person who decided he'd like to talk about onion rings. A person who, as it happens, isn't even American. Some other people decided okay, they have opinions about onion rings. Hmm, wait... aren't you one of those people?

As far as how you're making yourself look with this little shit fit, I'll just leave it to your imagination.

Cadmus

Postby Cadmus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

From the UK here, don't forget our second national dish is a lovely bit of crunchy deep fried fish and chips (though personally I'm not so keen on mushy peas). I think everyone loves a bit of deep fried food. This whole thread is making it more likely I'll visit the chippy on Friday though...

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Man, now I want fried food. This weekend, I may have to make potato scallops, which are ridiculously unhealthy. Peel and slice potato. Coat in batter (flour & water). Deep fry. Om nom nom. I need to start looking into either making tempura or finding out where I can get some.
Also, Scotland invented the deep fried mars bar, so yeah...
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Amen. I can find Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Brazilian, Vietnamese, German, Russian, Afghani, southern USaian, all manner of bog-standard Western fare, and at least a dozen other cuisines I can't remember right now. I can find different price levels of almost all of those. I can find good, middling, and not-so-good places, at different price levels, for many of those.

Actually one of my favorite ethnic venues is a Malaysian place in New West. I just can't get enough of the Roti and this awesome Lamb curry they have. The funny part is I've been told my some of my more worldly traveled friends that the food is actually extremely unlike authentic Malaysian, on account of it being much much better. *L*

Man... if the line graph of my health took a nosedive at the bacon line it's going to plummet at the "frying my own foods" line. Nevertheless, it shall be delicious. I need to put this plan into action. Need to get some vegetable oil I think....

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

Corn oil, to be specific. Peanut oil is tasty but might kill a friend, and you'll never get the peanut out of your cookware.

Also, if you don't overcook the stuff it's not any greasier than sauteing. It's when you fry something so long that there's not enough water to steam out that the oil really impregnates the food. Besides, look at the food that you fry: it's mostly fish and veggies. That stuff doesn't have loads of fat in it to begin with, so what little you add still doesn't overwhelm the wholesomeness. Just evens it out, really.

And then you can make catfish tortellini. I never, ever have leftovers when I make this, no matter how much I make.

in a baking dish, cover salted catfish cutlets (no larger than a candy bar) in buttermilk (or milk soured with a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar) for 15 minutes, and flip it, waiting another 15 minutes, so it gets thoroughly soaked

dredge the cutlets in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, finely-chopped fresh basil, and oregano (which does not need to be fresh)
dip the cutlets in whisked egg and dredge them a second time
discard the milk, it is completely unusable and gross now

fry some cased Italian sausages in olive oil set them aside
prepare a marinara with whole peeled tomatoes (crush them yourself) and all the tomato juice in the can, garlic, dried crushed red pepper, basil in the sausage drippings
slice the sausage on an angle and put them back into the marinara, set that aside

boil the tortellini

fry the fish at about 350 or metric equivalent until they get color and firm, but not 'til they fall apart or get greasy, it should only take two or three minutes each peice

In a huge fucking platter, you put down in layers
a little marinara
some shredded hard cheese
tortellini
catfish
sausage
the rest of your marinara
more shredded cheese
chopped red bell pepper
chopped basil

...And serve it with some garlic bread and salad. If people like spicy, make arrabiata instead of marinara.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:23 am UTC

That sounds freaking delicious but I don't think I can get catfish in my area... I wonder if halibut would substitute....

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 am UTC

Axman wrote:cased Italian sausages

What is this, exactly? Google isn't really helping me here. Where do these lie on the spectrum between say regular sausages - meat in a skin - and say, cattiatore sausage?

sippawitz

Postby sippawitz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:04 am UTC

sippawitz wrote:This post had objectionable content.Holy shit. A post that makes me realize we need a Banned From High Culture group.

Wow.

-ST

hahaha, you for serial? :roll:

righto then, i'll um, just go over there then...

p.s. you lot need to man-up... i'll post over some cement

anyway, i'm out: peace homies

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Problem solved. Back to onion rings. Or cased sausage. Or catfish. Or catfish wrapped in onion rings and stuffed with sausage. Whatever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Problem solved. Back to onion rings. Or cased sausage. Or catfish. Or catfish wrapped in onion rings and stuffed with sausage. Whatever.

That sounds delicious. I dub it "stuffed cat in a hulahoop"

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

1. Can you get monkfish? Halibut is meaty enough but mild-tasting.

2. Sausage in casings, as opposed to bulk sausage.

3. Remember this? I still say she's hot.

4. Is the cat stuffed with sausage or the onion rings?

5. Can you get monkfish? Halibut is meaty enough but mild-tasting.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

I'm assuming that the sausage goes inside the catfish, and the catfish goes inside the onion rings.
Ribbed for everyones pleasure.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Well yea, I mean the onion rings have the holes in them already, it only makes sense.

As for monkfish I'm not certain, I suppose I'd have to check a fishmarket. I have to say though I'm usually more in favor of milder tasting fish, really strong fish flavors don't tend to be my thing.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Well yea, I mean the onion rings have the holes in them already, it only makes sense.

As for monkfish I'm not certain, I suppose I'd have to check a fishmarket. I have to say though I'm usually more in favor of milder tasting fish, really strong fish flavors don't tend to be my thing.

Same here. I'm a big fan of Haddock. Other fishies, not quite as much.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

That's actually why you brine, if you can call it that, the fish. It leeches out the thick boggy flavor. You can do that with any fish, it makes it clean and fresh-tasting. It works particularly well with frozen fish, which gets that freezer taste in it so easily.

You just want to use a fish that won't fall apart, but strong, meaty fish would go better with the other strong flavors.

I'd bet shrimp would be good. Shrimp fry fast and continue to cook after you pull them out of the oil, keep that in mind.

Ooh, or duck-breast medallions, sliced thin to maximize the breading and make them fork-cuttable.

Return to “Food”