Things to eat when you suddenly need calories

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

vector

Things to eat when you suddenly need calories

Postby vector » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 am UTC

So, here's the deal. I'm a vegetarian. I'm also a math student who decided to start trying to become a mathematician (i.e., start studying 14+ hours a day), and suddenly I'm hungry all the time. Hence, I computed the caloric increase of "hard thinking/concentration" from "sitting around doing nothing," and it comes out to a whopping 1176 kcal per day.

This is a bit less than twice what I normally burn. I'm female, short, and don't get out much. I also don't have the option of just riding the calorie loss, because I'm already pretty darned thin (5'3.5" and probably around 115 lbs, 20 years of age).

Thus, I pose to you this question: what should I eat to keep myself from constantly feeling hungry? At the moment, I've started getting really hungry three hours after every meal, and wasting a bunch of time eating simply isn't going to fly. Have any advice?
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

AntonGarou

Re: Things to eat when you suddenly need calories

Postby AntonGarou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 am UTC

anything with a high fat content should do you good, IIRC.I think that you should just find the most artery-clogging cheese you can and buy a whole load of eat then eat cheese sandwiches.
I'm not nitpicking, I'm quarkpicking!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Uh, no. Some cheese is a good filler and pick-me-up, but a whole lot isn't that great.

What works for me depends on my mood and the day. Good old trail mix can work -- assorted nuts, seeds, dried fruit, maybe a few chocolate chips to liven it up. Fresh fruit and yogurt with some granola is good, if you eat dairy, or add a glass of soy or rice milk. There are some good vegan and vegetarian granola bars or meal-replacement bars, though I wouldn't rely on these too much.

Rice crackers with peanut butter. Or just PB&J sammiches, switching around the J for bits of fruit sometimes. Try half an avocado now and then: put some minced garlic and olive oil in the hole where the pit was, then eat with a spoon. Nomnomnom...

I'm sure there will be more advice coming soon. We have a lot of people on the boards who are quite opinionated about food. :wink:
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 am UTC

Milk. Whole milk.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 am UTC

@ Poxic: I totally agree with the trail mix. (the German word for it apparently means 'student food' in literal translation). I have a 1/2 or 1/4 cup of trail mix basically daily, and it does me wonders. Good fats and calories from the nuts, dried fruit never hurt, and chocolate bits makes it all the more better.

And peanut butter. I have a couple of pieces of toast and peanut butter, and I swear there's a couple hours of calories I don't need to worry about.

vector

Postby vector » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 am UTC

Thanks for all the great advice so far! I really appreciate it :D

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Milk. Whole milk.

Hmm, I can readily get whole milk. I'll try it instead of skim in my cereal tomorrow morning to see if it buys me any more time.

As far as the cheese goes, I'm currently working with a bagel+cream cheese for lunch, and am planning on putting some real cheese on as well to go with my crappy dining hall tomatoes. I'll see if I can figure out something with granola/trail mix/yoghurt (I've made granola before, and that helped), but the meal-replacement bars make me kind of angry. They aren't meals. They're mashed up food that's pretending to be a meal.

I will try the avocado idea over the summer, when I have better access to Real Food and a kitchen and stuffs. I may be stuck in a dining hall for now, but I'm hoping for some "food for thought" while I figure out which way is up.
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 am UTC

I'll second (third? fifth?) the milk and trail mix ideas, but many trail mixes tend to be quite sugary. Even dried fruit is less than optimal for this reason, so go with trail mixes that are more nuts than fruit. Granola and food bars tend to be even worse in this respect. Best to just get some nuts and fruit, and mix them together in your own preferred ratio. As I type this, I am eating peanuts, raisins and milk (separately).

And, yeah, peanut butter is good too.

Olive oil is a good way to add calories and flavor to many meals. Just throw some onto stuff with some vinegar or lemon juice.

Ice cream is sugary, but not as bad as one would think. Better than, say, flavored yogurt. If I feel I'm a couple of hundred calories short, I sometimes end the day with a serving of ice cream.

Bananas are a good, substantial fruit. Bananas, unsweetened yogurt and maybe a little brown sugar are another way to top up calories.

But I'd increase your intake gradually, rather than all at once. These kinds of calorie estimates tend to be quite unreliable.

vector

Postby vector » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Yeah, it's not about the calorie estimates so much as the eating and then needing to eat again in 3 hours.

I'll put it this way: I've had 3 meals today + cheesecake. Cheesecake was three hours ago. I am now irritatingly hungry, once again. As someone who normally gets away with two meals (or even one) per day, this feels ridiculous. I'm already eating quite a bit more than my brain really wants to, just because my body keeps asking for it. And yes, this is actual hunger--not feeling munchy, hunger.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

It sounds like, more than the calories, you need to look at the glycemic index of the foods you're eating and try to eat things with a lower GI - these take longer to digest and are less crazy on your blood sugar levels, giving you more time before you start to feel hungry again. There are a whole bunch of foods you could try listed here. Another vote for trail mix for this reason, too.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

Things I take to work to graze on:
boiled eggs
nuts
yoghurt
fruit
little plastic containers of roasted veg - cauliflower, eggplant and pumpkin are all delicious cold, and i usually eat them with toast
fancy cheeses and bread or crackers
filling salads, such as pasta, couscous, green beans/almonds/fresh cheese

if you have access to a kitchen:
eggs on toast
reheated portions (soup, stew, curry etc)
cereal (whole-grainy, not sugary)
pasta
lentil burgers (tinned lentils, egg, breadcrumbs, seasoning, soooo quick and easy)
stir-fry
smoothies (banana, milk, yoghurt)

Oh, and what ninja hermaj just said.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Another vote on the trail mix bandwagon--and if you are anywhere near a bulk food store I recommend making your own because you can limit sugar and salt and have something super tasty.

My prefered mix: Cashews, Pecans, Dried Cherries, Dried Cranberries, Rasins, Pepitos, Sunflower seeds.

I also eat rice cakes and peanutbutter or cheese when I need a snack, or apple and cheddar, a banana.

Mostly things people have already advised.

What will keep me going the longest is a really filling good balanced breakfast though.
Rice Puddin.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Dry Roasted Peanuts are awesome for that.

Also, sometimes your body acts like its hungry when really you're just thirsty. I can't prove that definitively, but I've had some success in situations where I feel like I want to eat, but I just drink some water instead and the hunger goes away.

vector

Postby vector » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Dry Roasted Peanuts are awesome for that.

Also, sometimes your body acts like its hungry when really you're just thirsty. I can't prove that definitively, but I've had some success in situations where I feel like I want to eat, but I just drink some water instead and the hunger goes away.

Yeah. This is even though I've been downing mugi-cha (cold barley tea, but really just barley-water) like nobody's business, and hoping desperately that I wasn't actually hungry. I'll look to increasing my liquid intake more as well, though. Thanks!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Nuts are incredible sources of calories and healthy fats. Try not to store them where they're exposed to light, though; I know walnuts lose some of their nutritional content to oxidation in the presence of light, and other nuts may as well.

I'd recommend not increasing your dairy consumption too much, given the digestive issues that might arise. Switching over from skim to whole milk without changing how much you consume shouldn't present any problems. Eggs are an excellent source of protein. One of my favorite breakfasts nowadays is to eat eggs, fresh fruit and oatmeal. You can put just about any fresh fruit in oatmeal and it's great, no need for sweetening at all. I only use rolled/old-fasioned oats because I like them hearty. Boil water, put oats in a bowl (with a little cinnamon), add just enough boiling water to cover, put a plate on top of the bowl and let it sit for a minute. Stir in raisins, dried cranberries, diced apple, banana, pear, berries or whatever you like and then CONSUME. Eggs are great with a bit of avocado and/or on toast with a little shmear. The great thing about oats is that they are one of the less refined carbohydrates you can easily get ahold of; they're good fiber, they provide steady energy (low glycemic index), and they're just plain healthier than corn or wheat. It helps that I love eating them.

Sometimes chip and dip can be pretty good. Hummus or cream cheese are some of the better dips as far as healthy calories, and plenty of them.

You can never go wrong with fresh fruits and vegetables, if you can manage to keep them around and eat them regularly. It takes more actual mass of food to get the same amount of calories compared with nuts, trail mix, and dip; but you also have the benefit of tons of nutrients in one of their best forms. Plus there are some things you can get from certain fruits and vegetables that you'd have a hard time getting any other way.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am UTC

vector wrote:Yeah. This is even though I've been downing mugi-cha (cold barley tea, but really just barley-water) like nobody's business, and hoping desperately that I wasn't actually hungry. I'll look to increasing my liquid intake more as well, though. Thanks!

Try it hot, as well. Nothing to do with your issue, just that in case you haven't done so, it can be pretty good :).

Anyway, aside from nuts, consider adding some really fiber-heavy foods to your breakfasts, like oats, and/or whole wheat (note the whole part, and don't bother if you can't find any around cheap). They can be one more step towards not feeling hungry for longer. You can't go wrong with adding fresh citrus to breakfast, either, whether it helps with hunger or not.

Don't bother with things like whole wheat or multi-grain breads, and that sort of thing, unless they come from a local source, with those grains ahead of the white flour (typical, "whole wheat," bread is mostly white bread with added brown color). In a big enough city, that shouldn't be too hard. If you have made bread yourself, before, and have the means, try making whole wheat bread. That is, no white flour at all. It is exceptionally filling, and one of my go-to foods when I have problems to bang my head against the wall for hours to solve. However, if you haven't made much bread, before, there is a non-trivial learning curve.

Make a point to avoid anything with significant concentrations of sugar, or any carbs, really, that also lacks much else good. Typical box snacks will end up making you hungry quickly, even so-called, "healthy," ones, because they still tend to have enough sugar, and other things that digest quickly and don't fill you up, to give you a rush-then-crash, even if a mild one. Bagels, FI, are not a good thing for keeping you from feeling hungry, though they are a good way to down calories.

Also, if you have a crock pot handy, make stuff with beans. They are filling, you should be able to study while eating, on top of that; and, they require minimal time and effort during the making of the food. If you don't have a crock pot handy, but only because you don't happen to have a crock pot, get one. Then, search the food forum for the term.

Since you've already made and like granola, I'll +1 the trail mix idea. Just be sure to make your own, with plenty of oats and nuts...no M&Ms, excess sugar coating, corn syrup to hold clusters together, etc. :).

P.S. +1 to hummus, too. If you can get good tortillas or pitas around, that can become a half a meal on its own. Hummus is also easy to make in large quantity, and keeps in the fridge quite well.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:15 am UTC

vector wrote:Yeah. This is even though I've been downing mugi-cha (cold barley tea, but really just barley-water) like nobody's business, and hoping desperately that I wasn't actually hungry. I'll look to increasing my liquid intake more as well, though. Thanks!

On the subject of liquids, if you're using hunger as your guide, be careful of calorie-dense liquids like milk. I find that they don't quench hunger as effectively as the same number of calories from, say, oatmeal. So I'd consume more calories to achieve the same level of satiety.

cerbie wrote:Don't bother with things like whole wheat or multi-grain breads, and that sort of thing, unless they come from a local source, with those grains ahead of the white flour (typical, "whole wheat," bread is mostly white bread with added brown color).

49% true. At least in the US, I think it's required by law for whole wheat products to be made with at least 51% whole wheat flour.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 am UTC

Nath wrote:
cerbie wrote:Don't bother with things like whole wheat or multi-grain breads, and that sort of thing, unless they come from a local source, with those grains ahead of the white flour (typical, "whole wheat," bread is mostly white bread with added brown color).

49% true. At least in the US, I think it's required by law for whole wheat products to be made with at least 51% whole wheat flour.

I don't claim to be an expert on the particular rules, but you have to look very carefully. Mouse-type disclaimers, and, "contains WHOLE WHEAT," are not uncommon. There could be a few oats in there, or something, and then it say WHOLE GRAIN.

Here's a neat year-old thingie in the cache: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:hd ... clnk&gl=us

Then, once you've narrowed down the ones that actually are what they imply, some even actually having only whole wheat flour, most of them will have many times the sugar and salt that I'd put in my bread (with salt increased, you don't notice the sugar that much). So, even then, you've got the chance of the sugar rush/crash cycle, which is especially bad when trying to do things like study.

FI, the Earthgrains stone ground in the above link has almost as much sugar in two slices as a whole loaf needs (to taste really good--none is needed to bake the loaf), and the whole loaf has maybe two or three times the salt it needs, as well1,2.

IMO, it'd be easier to not bother, when there are many simpler things to try, on one hand; but, on the other, if and only if you can easily whip up some bread with white flour, it's not going to be that hard to whip up some [very dense and filling] bread with whole wheat flour, which would then be just as easy as any other suggested option. Likewise, if you have a trusted local bakery that isn't sweetening and salting everything too much, try that, too.

Slurgi

Postby Slurgi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 am UTC

What I've found to be the most ridiculous food in regards to (calories*taste)/(weight*eatability*price) are those little fruit pies: http://www.hostesscakes.com/fruitpies.asp. They have something really absurd, something like 500 calories. Ridiculous! Granted, they're completely terribly absolutely unhealthy.

They are especially handy if you're on the road, as gas stations (at least in the Midwest U.S.) love to stock these wondrous things.

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Sadly, the OP mentioned being vegetarian and those fruit pies aren't; they use beef fat in their production.

I am a big fan of fruits with peanut butter, or yogurt.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

BALANCED DIET

You don't want to pursue calories at the expense of other important health issues (cholesterol intake, saturated fat intake, sugar intake, getting enough vitamins, getting enough fiber, etc.). So getting a balanced diet should be your main concern regarding energy levels and "filling up" efficiently, not just upping the number of calories (or anything for that matter).

Personally (since getting my cholesterol report...) I've been switching more of my snack foods to things like apples, walnuts, and other fruits/nuts. I've sort of developed a craving for them, and my energy levels have been improving. So, yeah, fruits/nuts are a good idea, and keep an eye on all things, not just calories. Seeing a nutritionist (if you have access to one) is a far better idea, too. KF
~Kizyr

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence to support the notion that 'hard thinking' burns more calories then 'just chillin' like a villain'?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence to support the notion that 'hard thinking' burns more calories then 'just chillin' like a villain'?

Though I can't exactly look up numbers now, I would imagine stress causes one to burn calories faster. I suppose that would count as hard thinking.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

natraj wrote:Sadly, the OP mentioned being vegetarian and those fruit pies aren't; they use beef fat in their production.

EW

I have a weakness for horrific, cheap drug store pastries and so I enjoy those fruit pies but still

EW
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

I know that people burn calories faster sitting and doing nothing than sitting and watching TV. So there's that.

I have been paying attention lately to how and when I am hungry, and I really do find that on the days when I have oatmeal for breakfast I stay full for longer. Even when I had a big, fat, calorie-laden cinnamon roll the other day mid-morning, I was super hungry by the time lunch came around.

Lidwiz

Postby Lidwiz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Try a tortilla rolled up with peanut butter and honey inside. It's quick, it's filling, and it will give you a nice energy boost.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 am UTC

So far almost unmentioned... PASTA

There are so many delicious things you can do with pasta. I personally make a roux of milk and flour and add that and a pinch of 'Chesapeake Bay seasoning' to the pasta. So delicious...

Rice and beans are also good and high-energy and good to mix with other stuff.

Meatless minestrone (i.e, no sausage) is delicious, and really good on cold days. Easy to make in a crockpot.

Do you eat eggs?
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any evidence to support the notion that 'hard thinking' burns more calories then 'just chillin' like a villain'?

I think that might be a myth, but when I'm hungry and I'm just chilling, I don't particularly mind, but if I'm doing hard work, especially mental work hunger quickly becomes intolerable.

For much of my college career I had a big tub of mixed nuts in arms reach of where I did most of my studying and homework assignments. There were pretty salty though, and come to think of it, their saltines combined with me not drinking enough water probably contributed to those kidney stones, so be sure to keep your fluids up too. I'll also 2nd whole milk because it's almost impossible to find something that cheap with that many balanced calories that you can prepare and consume such a short period of time.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:58 am UTC

Not really, but...
http://www.scienceline.org/2008/10/27/a ... -calories/

Bakemaster wrote:I know that people burn calories faster sitting and doing nothing than sitting and watching TV. So there's that.

I have been paying attention lately to how and when I am hungry, and I really do find that on the days when I have oatmeal for breakfast I stay full for longer. Even when I had a big, fat, calorie-laden cinnamon roll the other day mid-morning, I was super hungry by the time lunch came around.
Brown rice, barley, and whole wheat will do that, too. Probably any grain with good nutrients and a decent concentration of fiber. But, scientists seem to keep finding really good stuff specifically about oatmeal (lower rates of cancer, heart disease, improves circulation, and a bunch of stuff I never remember), and pre-cooked oatmeal is cheap.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I'm not going to say you don't need to eat a balanced diet full of fruit, vegetables, grains and legumes, but, if you were already eating that diet, you won't suddenly need more. Your daily consumption of most nutrients is irrespective of total calories. If you are already fulfilling your nutritional needs, and simply need a cheap, satisfying source of food energy, I suggest Pop-Tarts. I'm the first to admit they do crap for you nutritionally (even if they are fortified with 7 vitamins and minerals), but they keep you going. Bear in mind, two of them have 400 calories.

or, my girlfriend suggests a ziploc bag of peanut butter. When you feel the need for calories, cut off a corner and squeeze it directly into your' mouth.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 am UTC

I disagree with much of what you just said. Refined grains and sugar are not a great way to increase calories, even if you already have most of the micronutrients you need.

Your girlfriend's peanut butter idea is better. But you know what sort of container works great for peanut butter? Jars. Even better than Ziploc bags with the corners cut off. They should sell jars of peanut butter at the grocery store.

wigglyworm91

Postby wigglyworm91 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:02 am UTC

+1 to oatmeal. It's quick, easy, delicious if you put the brown sugar in it (they usually come with it in the little packets), and doesn't require much cleanup. It's better with (1%) milk though: Water won't do. In my experience, I have never been very hungry at lunch on days that I've had a decent amount of oatmeal for breakfast.

Also +1 to pasta: Mostly due to the fact that it is delicious, but only with meat, which I know the OP doesn't like. For all the others, though, Spag + Meat Sauce + Mushrooms is heaven.
Need more help or clarification? Feel free to PM me.
Fractal_Tangent wrote:(speaking of the xkcd fora)
I have never seen anyone on any website get a virtual beating for lack of proper grammar and capitalization.
I like it here.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:55 am UTC

I'm with Nath on refined carbs like Poptarts. They really *don't* keep you going. The more refined and processed the energy source, the faster it goes through your system; think about eating a bunch of sugar, or some cookies. You get a rush of energy, and it doesn't last terribly long.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 am UTC

I make my own trail mox - unsalted mixed nuts, a small amount of either salted or honey roasted peanuts, a bit of whatever dried fruit I'm feeling like, and a scattering of dark chocolate pieces.

The mixed nuts for the healthy fats and protein, the salted nuts to help absorb water (I don't eat a lot of processed foods myself, so my salt intake isn't that high), dried fruit for extra fiber and vitamins, and dark chocolate for all of it's health benefits.

For liquids, try to make water your go-to, but if you want the extra calories, a high-pulp fruit juice with low processing is okay. Just be aware of the high sugar, even if it's all naturally present in the fruit.

Some other things that I didn't see suggested:

The old go-to daycare snack of ants on a log: spread peanut butter (or almond butter) over a stick of celery, add raisins. I don't care for celery myself, so if I'm going to do this, I usually go for a spoon covered in peanut butter dipped into trail mix.

Homemade smoothies: good, quick, high-energy. Not the best thing to be eating constantly, but great for late night study sessions. Pulp some of your favorite fruits in a blender, add some plain or vanilla yogurt (I prefer Greek yogurt for it's creamier texture), a dash of milk, and an ice cube. You can also mix in things like wheat germ and protein powder. One of my favorites uses pomegranate seeds and a teaspoon of dark chocolate chips.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Kendo_Bunny wrote:I make my own trail mox

T: Add one fruit or nut of any color to your snack pool?

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:46 pm UTC

If you just want calories, butter is the answer. Polar explorers are in the habit of adding butter to absolutely everything, including tea and coffee.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Axman

Postby Axman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 am UTC

Yeah, seriously. Tour de France guys eat shortening in little packets like ketchup.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

I kind of think that packets of butter would only be the answer if the topic were "Things to eat when you suddenly need calories and you hate yourself."

Brown rice would be a good choice for keeping you from being hungry sooner, though with it being college dorm lifestyle, don't know how feasible that is.

Buy or make (once for the week) bran muffins?

The fruit with nut butter is a good idea. I love sunflower seed butter with apples, peanut butter with banana or just eating sunflower seeds plain.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:37 am UTC

Actually, butter is fairly healthy as long as you're not going way over your daily fat requirement by eating it. Ghee is even healthier. Shortening is kind of terrible though.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:02 am UTC

I'd imagine that the bodies of people engaged in a 21-day bicycle marathon will convert that shortening into burnable carbs forthwith. It's probably not doing them any harm at all.

For a person sitting on their ass and studying, it's unlikely to be metabolised in quite the same way. Even if the subject matter is number theory.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

I'm not after the healthfulness or metabolisation ability or whatever. It's... eating straight butter. Does that not strike you as completely disgusting?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Return to “Food”