Recreating fast food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

Recreating fast food

Postby roband » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Ok, I can't see any other topics like this, I've searched and come up blank.
I want to know if anyone has tried to recreate their favourite fast food, at home.

Tonight, I am attempting to make a homage to the McDonalds breakfast favourite, the McMuffin. It won't be a direct copy, as I don't like their eggs, so I will be doing a Sausage and Bacon RobMuffin.

This is what it should look like, I'll post pictures of mine once I'm finished.
Spoiler:

roband

Re: Recreating fast food

Postby roband » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Starting Ingredients:
Spoiler:

Remove skin from sausages:
Spoiler:

and shape them into the more familiar 'patty' (weird shape optional):
Spoiler:

Fry the sausage patties (in McDonalds, they grill them but I prefer the taste of fried):
Spoiler:

Fry your bacon off (as you like it, I'll take it however, so I cook it until I get hungry!):
Spoiler:

Toast your muffins, slice them and apply the wonderous thing which is plastic cheese:
Spoiler:

Arrange your patties and bacon on your muffins:
Spoiler:

The finished product!
Spoiler:

Thoughts pre-eating were that the patties should've been thinner, they got smaller and fatter as they cooked.
Thoughts post-eating were that it was tasty and I'll be doing it again.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has done this, or would plan doing it!

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

Isn't fastfood suppose to recreate food you'd make normally in convenient form? If it is, isn't what you are creating is fast food in normal form? Therefore, why not just make normal food?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

I've never eaten bacon and sausage and cheese in a muffin before...

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

roband wrote:I've never eaten bacon and sausage and cheese in a muffin before...

But have you never eaten a plate of bacon, sausage, cheese, and a muffin?

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

Only at McDonalds

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

Stop picking holes, sardia. I support this!
The answer to "Why not just make normal food?" is "Because this is more fun."
Fun!
Ⓞⓞ◯

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

Thank you :)

So what d'you make of my attempt? I've shown the photo to some friends and they want me to try it again when they come over in a few days...
Last edited by roband on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Looks good :D Might be a fun project to recreate other fast food, but with a tastier, less fast spin on it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

I think something like Subway would be a bit too easy. But trying to create a decent KFC home made substitute thing could be entertaining.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

oh man those looked good!

What are your thoughts on improving said designs with superior ingredients? Like, instead of 'meat patty' and american cheese, using kobe beef burger and sharp cheddar?

Not to say that I bet your creation wasn't delicious.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

I definitely would use proper cheddar in the future.

As for beef instead of sausage, I'd say that would be too much of a change, from pork to beef. But as you put it, not to say that I bet the change wouldn't be delicious still.

Rackum

Postby Rackum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

roband wrote:I think something like Subway would be a bit too easy. But trying to create a decent KFC home made substitute thing could be entertaining.

I supported this endeavor up until this post. The home made version of what KFC attempts should never be called the substitute ... so long as we're talking about the fried chicken part, hehe. KFC is a very poor imitation of a long-time tradition and should never be mistaken as the real thing.

But your RobMuffins do look excellent. I can only hope they tasted as good as their appearance suggests.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Rackum wrote:
roband wrote:I think something like Subway would be a bit too easy. But trying to create a decent KFC home made substitute thing could be entertaining.

I supported this endeavor up until this post. The home made version of what KFC attempts should never be called the substitute ... so long as we're talking about the fried chicken part, hehe. KFC is a very poor imitation of a long-time tradition and should never be mistaken as the real thing.

But your RobMuffins do look excellent. I can only hope they tasted as good as their appearance suggests.

But what I'm talking about is taking my favourite fast foods (regardless of what they base themselves on) and attempting to replicate it at home.
I can see your point, and think it's valid, but in my terms, the KFC is the real thing.

Because I'm not trying to recreate fried chicken, I'm trying to recreate KFC. If it turns out that I can do that in a way which goes back to how it should be done, even better.

Rackum

Postby Rackum » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Rackum wrote:

But what I'm talking about is taking my favourite fast foods (regardless of what they base themselves on) and attempting to replicate it at home.
I can see your point, and think it's valid, but in my terms, the KFC is the real thing.

Because I'm not trying to recreate fried chicken, I'm trying to recreate KFC. If it turns out that I can do that in a way which goes back to how it should be done, even better.

I know, more of a joke than anything ... so difficult to convey sarcasm without using those pesky tags.

Determining their particular mix of spices used in the breading could prove challenging. Gonna be a lot of trial and error involved with an endeavor like that so I would suggest cooking several spice "variations" simultaneously (making sure to use all similar cuts and track which piece is coated with each variant, of course), that could help reduce the time it takes to narrow down the right recipe.

I might have to try this same concept with some of my preferred fast foods -- Taco Bell Steak Quesadilla (don't judge me, hehe).

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

I wish I had pictures, but I've been known to recreate my favorite breakfast sandwiches, though with better ingredients, as mentioned above. I'll scramble a couple eggs, fry up a nice sausage patty bought directly from a local farm, and top with cheddar or cojack cheese. I also usually use toasted whole grain wheat bread, since I'm more likely to have that around than english muffins or biscuits. The result is always delicious.

Though it doesn't stop me from walking a block and grabbing a McGriddle when I'm REALLY hung over. Don't judge.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

I am so jealous of American's for having things like Taco Bell. Good Mexican restaurants are rare in the UK, mexican fast food is unheard of. It sucks.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Also, this thread is judgement free. I eat what I want when I want it, I don't judge myself, so I can't judge anyone else.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

roband wrote:I am so jealous of American's for having things like Taco Bell. Good Mexican restaurants are rare in the UK, mexican fast food is unheard of. It sucks.

Taco Bell = Delicious fast food inspired by Mexican food.

Some of the Mexicans I have known get somewhat annoyed when people call Taco Bell "Mexican food," although most of them admit that they like Taco Bell. I live in close proximity to Mexico, so we get plenty of good Mexican food around here as well. Your post kind of makes me want to find some good Mexican cooks and take them to the UK to open a restaurant.

That said, I have in the past made tacos out ground beef, a cumin and chili powder based taco seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, and sour cream that were very heavily inspired by Taco Bell. No pictures here, but they are very easy to make and so delicious.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

That burger looks so freakin' good. Damn.

As for the Taco Bell thing, I thought someone might reply about it not being Mexican! :D
I eat homemade mexican food fairly regularly, but there's nothing like fast food sometimes. If I ever go to America, I will definitely try Taco Bell (or one of the alternatives)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

There are no alternatives!

If you happen to go to Los Angeles or San Diego, there are a ton of really authentic South American restaurants; not just Mexican.
Last edited by Thesh on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:There are no alternatives!

Seriously?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Semi-Seriously. They have competition for fast food Mexican, namely Del Taco, but it's not the same.

lewismd

Postby lewismd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Thesh wrote:Your post kind of makes me want to find some good Mexican cooks and take them to the UK to open a restaurant.

I've talked about this with a couple buddies a bunch of times. We were thinking a place like Heidelberg, Germany. Lots of expats (military), so there's a built-in customer base to start with, then you hook the locals. Europe needs Mexican food!

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:07 am UTC

India needs Mexican food. Indian and Mexican/Tex-Mex flavor profiles go together perfectly. Back when Indian restaurants were hard to find in the US, many a South Asian immigrant lived off Taco Bell. When I was in college in the US, someone posted a personal ad on the Indian Student Association forum; one of the clauses was 'must like Taco Bell'.

The downside is that proper Mexican food may not be novel enough. Tortillas? Just weird rotis. Chili con carne? Just kheema with rajma (unless you're in Texas). The stuff that would catch on is the pseudo-Mexican Taco Bell type stuff, with deep fried tortillas and lots of cheese. Similar flavors, but a greater variety of textures.

Conversely, Mexico needs Indian desserts.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

roband wrote:I am so jealous of American's for having things like Taco Bell. Good Mexican restaurants are rare in the UK, mexican fast food is unheard of. It sucks.
Taco Bell is not merely not really Mexican food, it's not very good, either, even by fast food standards. What it has is value--you can get full, with meat, for around $5, from a restaurant that will generally be kept clean. In that regard, I know of no non-buffet that can even come close. Be jealous all you want, but you're really not missing out, like you think you are...at least on the fast food front.

If you come over here and want good fast food, check out Krystal or White Castle (South: Krystal; North Midwest: White Castle; West: missing out).

Also, why don't your English muffins have any eggs?

/me is now torn between making buckwheat pancakes, and sausage and egg McMuffin clones
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

I'm funny with egg yolks :) Just a personal thing with the muffins.

I could've made a little omelette up (like McDonalds do with the breakfast bagels over here) and put it in, but what can I say, I like meat ;)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

I used to, and perhaps will again, have one of these.

it basically cooks a muffin, reheats a sausage patty or bacon, and poaches an egg all at once. If you added cheese (and fuck american cheese, I always used swiss) and butter, it pretty much replicates the egg mcmuffin with superior ingredients in basically zero time.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

That machine looks divine.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 am UTC

Rackum wrote:Determining their particular mix of spices used in the breading could prove challenging. Gonna be a lot of trial and error involved with an endeavor like that so I would suggest cooking several spice "variations" simultaneously (making sure to use all similar cuts and track which piece is coated with each variant, of course), that could help reduce the time it takes to narrow down the right recipe.

To be truly authentic, you must resurrect Col. Sanders as a zombie, then torture him / it until he / it reveals the 11 herbs and spices.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Semi-Seriously. They have competition for fast food Mexican, namely Del Taco, but it's not the same.
There's also Taco Johns, which is far superior to Taco Bell and comes to us from... Wyoming. Makes sense.

And Taco Bueno, which is also way the fuck better than Taco Bell. Had one in Louisville for.. maybe six months. Closed now, damnit. Apparently it's from Texas.

Annnywaayyy... calling Taco Bell Mexican is the same as calling the local Chinese take-away joint ... well, Chinese food. Shit's American. Same thing with most Mexican joints in the US, regardless of their Fast Food status. Most to all of what they serve is more American than it is Mexican. And I'm not talking about Tex-Mex, though a lot of people get the two mixed up and think they're the same thing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Thesh wrote:Semi-Seriously. They have competition for fast food Mexican, namely Del Taco, but it's not the same.
There's also Taco Johns, which is far superior to Taco Bell and comes to us from... Wyoming. Makes sense.

Outside of TX/NM/AZ I bet MT/SD/WY/CO have the most Mexican immigrants. Large agricultural bases and largely isolated cultures.

As far as replicating fast food I think McD's fries have to be near the top of my list of "Things I want to cook at home but shouldn't eat" along with bacon and pasta carbonara. Wendys has some suprisingly good fries lately as well.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 am UTC

California may have one or two more Mexican immigrants in its population than South Dakota.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

roband

Postby roband » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:12 am UTC

Telchar wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Outside of TX/NM/AZ I bet MT/SD/WY/CO have the most Mexican immigrants. Large agricultural bases and largely isolated cultures.

As far as replicating fast food I think McD's fries have to be near the top of my list of "Things I want to cook at home but shouldn't eat" along with bacon and pasta carbonara. Wendys has some suprisingly good fries lately as well.

There's a guide online to making your own McD's fries somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Personally, I like thicker and browner fries that McDonald's makes, but for those of you who think that McDonald's fries are perfect, here is the long explanation of how this person figured out how to make McDonald's style fries at home, and here is the recipe.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

I don't even want to make the fries, but that story was amazing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Enuja :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

It's not nearly elaborate enough to compete with the great looking RobMuffins but I've recreated Ed's Easy Diner's cheesy fries often, so very very yummy. Also Nando's cheese and pineapple chicken breast pita but it might be cheating since I used bottled Nando's marinade for the chicken (and I didn't flame grill it...).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Moo wrote:It's not nearly elaborate enough to compete with the great looking RobMuffins but I've recreated Ed's Easy Diner's cheesy fries often, so very very yummy. Also Nando's cheese and pineapple chicken breast pita but it might be cheating since I used bottled Nando's marinade for the chicken (and I didn't flame grill it...).

Hey, the method doesn't have to be the same, as long as you're happy with the result!

I'm not sure how I feel about using the branded sauce though ;) That said, I had a Nando's last night, so I don't blame you!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 am UTC

I don't understand the McMuffin without any egg. Isn't the egg like as central a theme as the friggin muffin? Moreso because they sometimes offer bagles or waffles instead of muffins.

You can make the egg patty by mixing up an egg and then creating a metal strip (tinfoil work) to pour your egg into. Has to be flat but that's not so impossible. Also, the key to thin patties is weight. You must push them into the pan at ALL times to prevent them from shrinking/fattening up.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Food”