no
15%
meh
4%

Total votes: 127

samusaran253

Cold Pizza

Postby samusaran253 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 am UTC

What do you guys think of eating pizza cold? No, I don't mean uncooked, I mean like if you had in your refrigerator or freezer, or even just left it out for a few hours.

Nath

Re: Cold Pizza

Postby Nath » Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 am UTC

I'll eat it. But I'd rather heat it up first.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 29, 2011 5:06 am UTC

^ That thing there. Hot, fresh pizza can be a wedge-shaped gastrogasm, if it's done right. Cold, slightly less fresh pizza can be an okay snack, especially if one is really hungry. Hot, then cold, then reheated pizza is ... more okay. Usually.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Vellup

Postby Vellup » Tue May 31, 2011 7:29 am UTC

It actually depends on the pizza for me. If there's stuff like pepperoni on it, of course I want to heat it. Who wants to eat cold pepperoni?

Hawaiian though... For some reason, I find that okay. It must be the pineapple.
Honorable clean-upper of the (always in progress) Magi-Nation Wiki.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 am UTC

I love cold pizza (even pepperoni pizza).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby AvatarIII » Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 am UTC

i love cold pizza too, i often buy pizza's larger than i can handle specifically so i can stick some in the fridge for the next day's lunch (or breakfast) heating it up isn't an option because the way it goes when cooled means it will never be as good as before cooling, heating it in the oven makes it overly dry and microwaving makes it rubbery

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 am UTC

Cold pizza, warm beer. Breakfast of champions.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue May 31, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Cold pizza, warm beer. Breakfast of champions.

Damn straight. That's all I'd eat up until my 3rd heart attack.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
PAstrychef wrote:Cold pizza, warm beer. Breakfast of champions.

Damn straight. That's all I'd eat up until my 3rd heart attack.

Now now, that can't be all. You need a nice cool pickle (a whole one) to go with the pizza.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Cold pizza can't hold a candle to fresh pizza from the oven. Not in a million years. That being said, if I've got leftovers, sometimes I'll reheat them and sometimes I won't. If I had a toaster oven I might reheat a little more often. It just gets soggy, sad, and unevenly melty in the microwave. I tend to want to eat NOW when I'm digging for leftovers, so that's a big motivation in not reheating. Generally speaking I guess the firmness of the cold pizza is preferable over the sad limpness of the reheated pizza; but neither is particularly awesome.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

I think most people who like cold pizza don't have access to a reasonable facsimile of a toaster oven. It's the ultimate pizza re-heating device. When I married my wife, she had never used one before, didn't see why you'd want one when you have a microwave and a toaster and a real oven, and not surprisingly liked cold pizza. After saying I could not live without the toaster oven, she agreed and is now a convert. It has other uses, but it's main purpose is quickly and effectively re-heating pizza. microwave pizza sucks, I understand why you'd rather eat it cold. Ovens are overkill for something so small so I understand why you wouldn't have the patience. Toaster ovens though can re-heat your pizza in less than 5 minutes without turning the cheese to playdough. Your life will never be the same and you may never eat cold pizza again.

To clarify: Toaster is a thing with some slots at the top for making toast. Bread slices, a cut bagle, these are the kind of things that will fit inside it. A Toaster OVEN is a small oven that heats up with the same electric elements as a toaster (read: quickly) but has a small microwave style internal volume perfect for re-heating a slice or two of pizza. Also, it fits most frozen entree type meals allowing the tasting benefits of an oven while maintaining the convenience of a microwave.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 am UTC

I don't usually reheat cold pizza. I can't say I like it as much as warm pizza, but I like it better than microwave-reheated pizza. If I had a toaster oven I'd probably use that.

Vellup wrote:Who wants to eat cold pepperoni?
Back when I was in high school I used to make spinach-pepperoni-tomato salad every day, and it was amazing. I haven't even thought about it in years, and now I'm craving it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:49 am UTC

I've ordered an extra pizza so I have something to snack on later from the fridge. I love cold pizza. It's great to have a slice after a workout before hopping in the shower, when you've just stumbled out of bed and are running late, when you're feeling too lazy to heat or cook anything. Nomnom.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 am UTC

mosc wrote:When I married my wife, she had never used one before, didn't see why you'd want one when you have a microwave and a toaster and a real oven

But a toaster oven does the job of both the toaster and the microwave, and it's usually much better at doing what you tell it to do, unlike toasters which like to have a dial that goes from 1 to 10 according to the label but REALLY has only two settings: warmed or blackened. You can never find the sweet spot that just means TOAST.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
mosc wrote:When I married my wife, she had never used one before, didn't see why you'd want one when you have a microwave and a toaster and a real oven

But a toaster oven does the job of both the toaster and the microwave, and it's usually much better at doing what you tell it to do, unlike toasters which like to have a dial that goes from 1 to 10 according to the label but REALLY has only two settings: warmed or blackened. You can never find the sweet spot that just means TOAST.

Oh my god, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is agitated by this phenomenal failure in toaster design.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

you clearly have not found "just under 3 and a half" although that's on a toaster with an analogue dial that goes from 1-6

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

Obby wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:

Oh my god, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is agitated by this phenomenal failure in toaster design.

It's just like showers with one knob that controls the temperature. You've got at least 180 degrees of possible water temperatures, and the only feasible ones for shower temperature is 10 degrees. Come on people!

But, I will agree with the wonders of a toaster oven - how else can you make perfect ham and cheese bagels? Sadly, a microwave is more important to me though so I don't have room for one now.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

you know you can get microwaves with grills inside right?

acablue

Postby acablue » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Protip for those who don't like the taste/texture of leftover pizza: sprinkle some water on it before you stick it in the microwave. I do this with mac and cheese also, and it helps a ton.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:you know you can get microwaves with grills inside right?

No. How does that work? I mean, typically microwaves can't have metal in them and toaster ovens are typically made of metal. It just doesn't seem to compute!

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:

No. How does that work? I mean, typically microwaves can't have metal in them and toaster ovens are typically made of metal. It just doesn't seem to compute!

I wouldn't be able to say, but the first time I lived alone (6 years ago or something like that) I had one that could function as microwave oven, normal oven and grill - and any combination of those.

It was fairly awesome actually, it's still standing at my dads place until some point where I need it again. Not that likely to happen, since it wasn't large enough to cook really nice dinners in it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:

i'm not entirely sure, i just know they exist, according to wikipedia metal is only a problem in a microwave if is has pointed ends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_ ... al_objects

from wikipedia, a microwave, with a metal shelf i assume for utilising the grill ability (click for bigger)

acablue

Postby acablue » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:

i'm not entirely sure, i just know they exist, according to wikipedia metal is only a problem in a microwave if is has pointed ends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_ ... al_objects

from wikipedia, a microwave, with a metal shelf i assume for utilising the grill ability (click for bigger)

TIL that microwaves can cook themselves in the absence of food. :shock:

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

acablue wrote:TIL that microwaves can cook themselves in the absence of food. :shock:

This calls for an edible microwave.

acablue

Postby acablue » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Nath wrote:
acablue wrote:TIL that microwaves can cook themselves in the absence of food. :shock:

This calls for an edible microwave.

To the lab!

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

i had pizza tonight, i stopped myself finishing it so i could have some tomorrow

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

I must assume then you have never tried Toaster Oven reheated pizza. It's a life altering thing!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:27 am UTC

mosc wrote:I think most people who like cold pizza don't have access to a reasonable facsimile of a toaster oven.

Or maybe, you know, we actually do like cold pizza. Personally, I find it delicious as a hangover food when there's no way I'd be able to face hot pizza, fresh or otherwise.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

TheStrongest

Postby TheStrongest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 am UTC

Cold pizza tastes better than hot pizza.

There, I said it.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

It's okay, and I'll eat it if I must (or if I'm lazy) but I usually microwave it.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Pizza Hut pan I actually rather like cold, and don't like hot.

Anything else is better hot.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 am UTC

i wonder if the cold vs hot debate has less to do with the pizza and more to do with which toppings people like,

i am generally a meat feast/pepperoni pizza eater, and love cold pizza, perhaps the people who dislike cold pizza generally have toppings that don't taste as good cold?

doggitydogs

Postby doggitydogs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:16 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:i wonder if the cold vs hot debate has less to do with the pizza and more to do with which toppings people like,

i am generally a meat feast/pepperoni pizza eater, and love cold pizza, perhaps the people who dislike cold pizza generally have toppings that don't taste as good cold?

If I buy a pizza with the same toppings from Domino's and from Pizza Hut and let them sit out overnight, I prefer the Domino's cold and the Pizza Hut reheated (I use the microwave and not the oven, so shoot me).

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am UTC

doggitydogs wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:i wonder if the cold vs hot debate has less to do with the pizza and more to do with which toppings people like,

If I buy a pizza with the same toppings from Domino's and from Pizza Hut and let them sit out overnight, I prefer the Domino's cold and the Pizza Hut reheated (I use the microwave and not the oven, so shoot me).

perhaps it's the type of base, or level of greasiness that matters then?

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Back when I could eat pizza (diagnosed with celiac disease, still eat pizza but only stuff I make and eat it all), I never cared for eating cold pizza. I didn't even like it after it had been reheated...
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am UTC

maxmillean wrote:Back when I could eat pizza (diagnosed with celiac disease, still eat pizza but only stuff I make and eat it all), I never cared for eating cold pizza. I didn't even like it after it had been reheated...

that sucks, my girlfreind is not diagnosed Celiac but had a mild gluten intolerance and she buys gluten free pizza bases, we have been to pizza places before that do gluten free pizza if you ask,

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

Yeah I buy gluten free pizza crusts that are actually quite good and I do know of some places that make gluten free pizza (Uno's is one).
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

I usually have the pizza hot for dinner, then cold out of the fridge for breakfast. (It's usually better cold.)

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

To me it mostly depends on the toppings. Any type of pizza that is "sweet" (used as a relative term) ie has pineapple or barbecue sauce is good cold also topping with a high moisture content help. Pizza with a few dry toppings ie pepperoni are almost always better heated up. Also the greasier the pizza the more it benefits from heating, coagulated grease is never as good for obvious reasons.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 am UTC

Sex is like pizza
when it's good, it's really good
and when it's bad, it's still pretty good. :p
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Return to “Food”