Anchovies are available without a pizza!

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

brume

Anchovies are available without a pizza!

Postby brume » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I had no idea that I could buy anchovies all by themselves. In little tins and jars. On a shelf. I'm going to save so much money now that I don't have to throw away all those pizzas...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Anchovies are available without a pizza!

Postby poxic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 am UTC

... Yes?
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 am UTC

Wow.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:02 am UTC

It isn't like pizza places have access to a special market. They get them in the same weird greasy tins as anyone else, they just buy them in bulk.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am UTC

You can even get them as fresh fishes in many places, and they actually taste pretty good brushed with olive oil and grilled.
Fermented anchovies are the base for Worcestershire sauce.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Pizza???? Why don't you just put Caesar dressing in a centrifuge, take the anchovy particles and press them into cakes??? It's much more convenient. You don't have to spend all that time chopping them up.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:37 am UTC

Fish sauce Has an anchovy to not anchovy ratio that I find very appealing.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:46 am UTC

iChef wrote:Pizza???? Why don't you just put Caesar dressing in a centrifuge, take the anchovy particles and press them into cakes??? It's much more convenient. You don't have to spend all that time chopping them up.

Three things I learned today:

1. Some Caesar dressing recipes include chopped anchovies.
2. Recipes that don't use chopped anchovies use Worcestershire sauce.
3. Worcestershire sauce is made from anchovies.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:It isn't like pizza places have access to a special market. They get them in the same weird greasy tins as anyone else, they just buy them in bulk.
I'm not sure exactly when, but seasonally, one local store here will get cold-smoked anchovies in herb-infused oil (I'm guessing to help keep out air bubbles when packing), cold vacuum packed, with a fairly short expiry date.

If I could figure out a way to eat them all in time, I would give them a try.

Also, when making dressing, jar anchovies > canned anchovies >> anchovy paste. Just crush them with a spoon, fork, or mortal & pestle, before adding to the mix.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

brume

Postby brume » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

I detect a fatal flaw in the anchovie distribution network. They mostly come in a flat oblong shaped tin with a pull ring on the top to pull open the top. There is almost no way to open said tin without getting oil all over your hands. The person who develops a better anchovie tin will have millions beating a path to their door. Better yet would be an anchovie trap that just captures them live in the kitchen.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:01 am UTC

brume wrote:I detect a fatal flaw in the anchovie distribution network. They mostly come in a flat oblong shaped tin with a pull ring on the top to pull open the top. There is almost no way to open said tin without getting oil all over your hands. The person who develops a better anchovie tin will have millions beating a path to their door. Better yet would be an anchovie trap that just captures them live in the kitchen.
Hold the tin with one hand, at the top of the crimp, on the long sides. Push the tab up to break the seal with the other thumb, then pull with your index finger, while pushing down around the middle of the tin with your thumb, just enough to keep it stable. Once the lid is 1/4 or so opened, remove your thumb from the top of the lid, and pull it open almost, but not quite far enough to remove the lid. If the oil starts coming out the sides as you open, change your other hand's grip to the short sides. Once done, sway the lid back and forth to gently remove it.

Also, not to sound like an old fart, but I remember when they actually used roll-open cans, that were much neater in general.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Return to “Food”