Awesome way to make root beer floats

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

DasEengineer

Awesome way to make root beer floats

Postby DasEengineer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

This weekend... I had one of my occasional genius moments! I was drinking coffee, when I wondered what would happen if you combine flavored creamer and root beer. The result? Root beer floats that don't require much stirring! Plus... it still foams up!

Warning: Do NOT try to mix this up by pouring creamer directly into a soda can. It foams up. Dramatically (as in better than ice cream). It WILL make a mess. Alternatively... try it and let me know what happens (so I can feel better about the cascade I created).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Awesome way to make root beer floats

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Root Beer Floats are not made by FOAM. It's made of delicious frozen ice cream that you scoop out because it's flavored like root beer, that has to be eaten quickly to prevent an equilibrium state. What you have made sir, is the fail stage product of an otherwise good thing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

DasEengineer

Postby DasEengineer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Hmm... now that's something I never really got. To me... the best possible way for root beer floats was to completely stir in ice cream until the saturation point was reached (ie... no chunks). Only one can be be right (I ignore free choice and personal preference)! Sirrah, I challenge you to a duel! Post your recipe (including proportions), and I'll develop mine! Then... we shall test the mixes!

BTW... no this isn't a waste of time. It's a purely scientific experiment that most certainly ISN'T for the sole excuse of drinking root beer floats.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

where does the floating come in when the ice cream is completely mixed in? the point is that the ice cream floats right?

DasEengineer

Postby DasEengineer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Hmmm... that's a very good point. I think my version is called a root beer slushie then.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:12 am UTC

I'm somewhat dubious that anyone can claim a genius moment by mixing nasty, fake chemical cream with any other substance.

Although, looking at the ingredients of ye olde mass-market root beer:
Ingredients: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, caramel color, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural and artificial flavors.

The creamer can't be *that* bad:
INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE), DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CARRAGEENAN.

... oh. Nevermind.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:05 am UTC

Just drink a flaming dr. pepper and then a carbomb. The booze will soothe your feelings about not getting the flavors dead on.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Thank you for today's entry in the Annals of Going from Bad to Worse.

DasEengineer

Postby DasEengineer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:I'm somewhat dubious that anyone can claim a genius moment by mixing nasty, fake chemical cream with any other substance.

Although, looking at the ingredients of ye olde mass-market root beer:
Ingredients: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, caramel color, sodium benzoate (preservative), natural and artificial flavors.

The creamer can't be *that* bad:
INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE), DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CARRAGEENAN.

... oh. Nevermind.

Well... I'll admit... I came up with it when I was running on about 8 hours of sleep total in the last week, about 6-8 cups of coffee that day. Still, call me crazy.. but "nasty, fake chemical cream" tastes good to me *shrugs*. I think it's an acquired taste... or I'm just strange.

Actually... you're slightly wrong about the ingredient list:
Water, Sugar, Palm Oil, Contains 2% Or Less of Each of The Following: Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Sucralose, Mono And Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Polysorbate 60, Carrageenan, Salt.

I never read ingredient lists (for this exact reason), but this should help me obtain a long time dream of becoming either a zombie or a cyborg. "Dipotassium Phosphate" Hey... don't phosphates glow in the dark? Sweet!

DasEengineer

Postby DasEengineer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Whitekiboko wrote:Just drink a flaming dr. pepper and then a carbomb. The booze will soothe your feelings about not getting the flavors dead on.

Oh man, I haven't had a good car bomb for way too long. *makes mental note* I'll have to do that!

Serious question here: Is Flaming Doctor Pepper a mixed drink? I've never heard of that one...

DasEengineer

Postby DasEengineer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Thank you for today's entry in the Annals of Going from Bad to Worse.

*swanky bow* Anytime my good sir!
I do have to protest one part of your comment though: How can you call a normal ice cream float "Bad"?

Nope... no protest for the going to worse part. I fully admit this isn't for most people.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

DasEengineer wrote:
Azrael wrote:Thank you for today's entry in the Annals of Going from Bad to Worse.

*swanky bow* Anytime my good sir!
I do have to protest one part of your comment though: How can you call a normal ice cream float "Bad"?

... I wasn't referring to you.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

DasEengineer wrote:I never read ingredient lists (for this exact reason), but this should help me obtain a long time dream of becoming either a zombie or a cyborg. "Dipotassium Phosphate" Hey... don't phosphates glow in the dark? Sweet!

Hilarious. You win today's internets Sir.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

datawrangler

Postby datawrangler » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:20 am UTC

I work in the Mojave desert(an American Place that is usually hot and dry). I live out of my truck and cooler with ice, so I have cold stuff, but not ICE CREAM cold, know what I'm sayin?

The point is, my friend M.A. came up with a totally freekin awesome combo we call the "amboy float", Amboy being a place in the desert where you can currently buy gas for $5.49 a gallon. Oh, right, the beverage:

Poor one can of ice cold rootbeer(your favorite brand here) into a container of at least 32oz volume, then pour in a starbucks "double shot" - the little 4oz cans. Dieters use diet rootbeer and "lite" doubleshots. I go full leaded for both, myself.

Also, Trader Joes has a double shot equivalent for much less $$.

Remember, icy cold, large container- it foams up nicely, and oh so refreshing! Just the pick me up needed on those 100+ degree days! Coming soon!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

But it's the ice cream that makes it a float. Cause the scoop sort of bobs about in the soda, ya know-floating.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:52 am UTC

If you don't need a spoon to eat it, it's not a proper float.

Also creamer is gross.

I have spoken. I done spake! Yeahhhh.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

DasEengineer wrote:
Whitekiboko wrote:Just drink a flaming dr. pepper and then a carbomb. The booze will soothe your feelings about not getting the flavors dead on.

Oh man, I haven't had a good car bomb for way too long. *makes mental note* I'll have to do that!

Serious question here: Is Flaming Doctor Pepper a mixed drink? I've never heard of that one...

I know this is several months old, but questions like this should not go unanswered, as a matter of principal. Yes, the Flaming Dr Pepper is a drink. To prepare:

Fill a shot glass 3/4 with amaretto. Layer 151 proof rum on top. Light that on fire, then drop it into a half a beer (something light like a pilsner works best for this) and chug it. If prepared correctly, it tastes like Dr Pepper.

Some places will say you can use everclear (neutral grain spirits) instead of overproof rum. This is a lie! The rum is not just to make it burn for dramatic effect, it's flavor (specifically the sugars that caramelize as the alcohol burns) contributes to the distinctive "Dr Pepper" flavor.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

3 oz Bailey's Irish Cream (poured in first)
9 oz Rootbeer (your choice of a delicious craft root beer) (poured in second, pour slowly)
One scoop Vanilla Ice Cream

No mixing, stirring or shaking.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

I've heard that one can make a good root beer float by omitting the "root".
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 am UTC

I'm tempted to try this with a beer that's already a little sweet, like Dragon's Milk or Troegenator. But for me part of the pleasure of a root beer float is the carbonation, and most beers I can imagine doing this with are pretty low carbonation.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 am UTC

I've found out that optimal root beer float carbonation to ice cream could be made by pre-mixing the ice cream with a third of the root beer till there aren't any lumps and then pouring in the rest of the root beer. 'Course you could just mix in some whiskey with it and call it a day :roll:

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

No non no no no! The ice cream must be in lump form, or else there is nothing floating!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed May 23, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:No non no no no! The ice cream must be in lump form, or else there is nothing floating!

Every stage of a root beer float, from when the root beer is poured on the ice cream, to when the ice cream has melted, is necessary for an ideal root beer float. It is only perfect if you take long enough to eat that it has mostly melted by the time you are done, or you are not enjoying it properly. The point is, a root beer float is not a food, it is a process.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

Stop you two! It's a floor wax and a load of pretentious bullshit!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 pm UTC

[troll]The best root beer float is made using ginger ale and lemon sorbet.[/troll]
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri May 25, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:[troll]The best root beer float is made using ginger ale and lemon sorbet.[/troll]

That sounds potentially good, actually.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat May 26, 2012 10:33 am UTC

I would try it.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat May 26, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

Yeah, I kind of want to make one now. Next time I go to the grocery store, I'll see if they carry lemon sorbet (otherwise I have to make it, and I'm too lazy for that without an ice cream maker).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

Das, root beer + creamer sounds a lot like an egg cream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_cream). While not a float, I'd certainly be willing to try it.

Return to “Food”