Sharing Food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:It pisses me off so so so much when I see someone complain at a restaurant for the most ridiculous things. HAIR?!?!? IT'S FRIGGIN PROTEIN! AND IT'S REMOVABLE! So what if your fork has a smudge? Wipe it off and shut the hell up!

*Laughs* Agreed.

Also, don't they know there's a decent chance that the employees having to deal with their whiny/bitchy asses are gonna purposely put something gross in their food now? Not that I ever did that in my food service days, but I know others have. Seriously, do not fuck with the people who make your food.

In most restaurants bigger than a hole in the wall dishes and stuff go through the crazy cleaning machine -- every dish and piece of silverware is not and cannot be fucking scrubbed by hand. Occasionally there's some persistent residue, but at least it's sterile. Not saying you can't or shouldn't have any complaints, but if it's a case of simple human error (or you know, being a mammal and having hair) be nice about it. For your own sake. :twisted:
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

Jauss wrote:
joeframbach wrote:It pisses me off so so so much when I see someone complain at a restaurant for the most ridiculous things. HAIR?!?!? IT'S FRIGGIN PROTEIN! AND IT'S REMOVABLE! So what if your fork has a smudge? Wipe it off and shut the hell up!

*Laughs* Agreed.

Also, don't they know there's a decent chance that the employees having to deal with their whiny/bitchy asses are gonna purposely put something gross in their food now? Not that I ever did that in my food service days, but I know others have. Seriously, do not fuck with the people who make your food.

In most restaurants bigger than a hole in the wall dishes and stuff go through the crazy cleaning machine -- every dish and piece of silverware is not and cannot be fucking scrubbed by hand. Occasionally there's some persistent residue, but at least it's sterile. Not saying you can't or shouldn't have any complaints, but if it's a case of simple human error (or you know, being a mammal and having hair) be nice about it. For your own sake. :twisted:

hey, replacing a fork isn't going to bust someone's ass and most waitstaff I've known wouldn't think twice about it as long as the customer is nice (I've only ever bused). if you really want to rile them up, send your food back. multiple times.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

I don't think I'd go that far. A dirty fork may well have been last used by a diseased person, and the hair may also have been unclean, besides being indicative of lax sanitary standards.

I mean, if I knew that the hair was cooked with the food and that the fork was autoclaved beforehand, I wouldn't mind, but in situations without clear information, there is a good reason for the aversion.

Easton

Postby Easton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

I'll share food/utensils with any of my friends or family. Strangers are a no.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

My rule of thumb is if you have an unclean mouth, no. Otherwise, sure. This applies to food sharing, double-dipping, utensil sharing, etc.

The toothbrush, though... that's off-limits.

I had a girlfriend who refused to drink from the same container as me. It drove me nuts. You will make out with me, but you won't drink from the same bottle as me or share food? Absurd!
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

I steal food from my friends all the time. I just like to try everything, and it's become expected. Runs in the family, too. :) It has gotten me in a bit of trouble when stealing from my strict vegetarian friend, where my fork had previously touched something of meaty background. But otherwise, no one cares. Never thought it would be otherwise, hmm.

Also, sharing toothbrushes is allowed in dire circumstances (ie, oops you forgot one) and only with the SO, who has experienced the inside of my mouth and should encounter no surprises. *shrug*

Accepting food from camp children was iffy, but usually it was all parent- or pre-packaged things they hadn't opened and decided not to like, so it's all good. I make exceptions for PB and fluff sandwiches, as there's no way in hell I'm buying one for myself but man are they good once in a while. Plus, they were just going to throw them out! I mean, you can't waste a good half-sandwich like that.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

LoonRadio

Postby LoonRadio » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

It's not unusual for my friends and I to go to a restaurant, and all the dishes end up in the middle of the table. We're all about sharing food with each other. Strangers, not so much. That's more giving food away.
You know what's worse than raining cats and dogs?
Hailing taxicabs.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

notallama wrote:i generally complain if i find a pube in my food.

I no longer eat rice crispy treats. Not only are they repulsive, but I have discovered embedded pubes on more than one occasion.

Another random pet peeve of mine. People bitching at you for standing/sitting on a picnic table because people eat there, or even an ordinary table. Anyone that eats food directly off of a picnic table (or ordinary table, I have cats) deserves whatever they might get.

I know I should probably be a bit stricter about my health policies. I have on occasion shared my water bottle with kids and workers in Nicaragua. It was kinda stupid of me, but seriously, we're digging a 12 foot deep pit together in jungle clay, is there any way to refuse without being a complete dick? I thought it was worth the risk.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

I'll eat off pretty much anyones plate. Unless they just came out of their cardboard box and offered me a chicken wing from out of their armpit, it's all good for me.

Hell, I ate chips that fell on the ground just last weekend. It's just grass, it's probably good for you.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:but seriously, we're digging a 12 foot deep pit together in jungle clay, is there any way to refuse without being a complete dick?

nope, don't think so. hope you didn't get a cold for your good karma.

...and hey, while we're on pet germ-phobe peeves, SO WHAT if I let my dog lick the plates before I put them in the dishwasher? it saves the pre-rinse.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

lukkucairi wrote:hey, replacing a fork isn't going to bust someone's ass and most waitstaff I've known wouldn't think twice about it as long as the customer is nice (I've only ever bused). if you really want to rile them up, send your food back. multiple times.

*Nods* That's what I actually meant. Saying "Hey, can I have another fork?" is totally fine; I was more hating on people who make a really big deal/are mean about it (or other things) as if it were your personal mission (or due to utter disregard for health standards) to contaminate them with a tiny, sterilized piece of lettuce. Or being all "Oh me yarm, there's an eyelash in my soup! Why would you do that?! So disgusting! I want to speak the manager right now!"*

And yeah, sending your food back multiple times** (instead of perhaps getting something else or a refund) and being an ass about it (especially to the waiter, who is totally not at fault in the situation) is likely to get you the special condiments.

*Thankfully, I very rarely had to deal personally with such people and none quite as bad as that.

**The food service jobs I had were at a buffet (Bellante's: All you can eat pizza, pasta, salad, and dessert for $3.99!) and fast food (Macheezmo Mouse), so that wasn't an option/problem, but I know from friends who work in "proper" restaurants.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

The only food I would consider eating, would be food offered to me from the girls I have kissed (or would like to? :P) sounds creepy I know, but my figuring is that its only their food not their face this time. (I'm quite sure I could have articulated this better...)
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

J

Postby J » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Food sharing is common with my friends. Either I use my utensils to pick it off their plate, or they use theirs to put it on mine. All the same to me.

About biting: there's quite a difference between ingesting bacteria and getting them into your blood.

thedufer

Postby thedufer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

I'll share food with pretty much anyone I know who is fairly clean.
On the subject of reptile bites: I've been bitten by a snake (he's a pet). I did not get salmonella; it is likely that he doesn't carry it. Getting bit by a reptile with salmonella all but guarantees you'll get it (assuming it breaks the skin). However, its not as common as people make it seem.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

Yeah, it's mostly that it can actually be dangerous if you do get it, especially to kids, old people, people with compromised immune systems, etc.

I mean, people freak out about eggs and chicken, but most of them are fine. Same for turtles and snakes.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

tessuraea wrote:I mean, people freak out about eggs and chicken, but most of them are fine.

Pays to know a little about the ultimate source of your eggs and chicken. I got the worst case of salmonella from a soft-boiled egg once. Found out later it was that the whole farm was contaminated, and I wasn't the only one to suffer.

In terms of plate-sharing, my friends and I do it pretty often at restaurants. I don't think it's a big deal. I just have to watch out I don't get something with nuts in it and go into anaphylaxis :?

@ Jauss - that's the only time I've sent stuff back, is when I specifically asked whether it contained nuts, was told no, and was served something covered in almond slivers. If the food is just kind of crappy, I'll push it around the plate and not go back to that restaurant again. Why send it back if what's going to replace it is probably going to be just as bad? And it's rarely the fault of the waitstaff. They get all the flak because they're the customer interface though.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 pm UTC

Jauss wrote:Saying "Hey, can I have another fork?" is totally fine; I was more hating on people who make a really big deal/are mean about it (or other things) as if it were your personal mission (or due to utter disregard for health standards) to contaminate them with a tiny, sterilized piece of lettuce. Or being all "Oh me yarm, there's an eyelash in my soup! Why would you do that?! So disgusting! I want to speak the manager right now!"*

And yeah, sending your food back multiple times** (instead of perhaps getting something else or a refund) and being an ass about it (especially to the waiter, who is totally not at fault in the situation) is likely to get you the special condiments.

*Thankfully, I very rarely had to deal personally with such people and none quite as bad as that.

**The food service jobs I had were at a buffet (Bellante's: All you can eat pizza, pasta, salad, and dessert for $3.99!) and fast food (Macheezmo Mouse), so that wasn't an option/problem, but I know from friends who work in "proper" restaurants.

Two stories:

1. One time I was at a bar and had a small bug in my margaritas three times in a row. Very small bug. I got it out and enjoyed my drink. It's not like it really was causing a problem, and I'm going to send back a whole drink because of that?

2. A friend of mine used to work at Pizza Hut. There were a few groups that would always come in 20 minutes before closing, order a ton of stuff, stay there late, and never tip. The things they did to their food... don't piss off the people who control what you ingest is all I'm saying.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

If you're genuinely friendly and pleasant to wait staff, thank them, go back to the same places occasionally, and leave reasonable tips, it's amazing what good service you get. This is basically my strategy for life.

You can still send stuff back, just be apologetic about it and give a reason.

If you go somewhere for the first time, and you're friendly and polite, but the service is bad or food is no good, just don't go back. Of course, I live in the city of good restaurants, so I can always find somewhere else to go, and service is nearly always very good. :)
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: Sharing Food

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

Aeltar wrote:Do you have a problem with eating from someone else's dish? How about with their utensils? Do you have a problem with anything like that, with sharing objects? I know some people who can't touch food after anybody else does. Personally, I've always held that I'm going to die anyway, and I have a strong immune system, so I don't worry about it. When people ask if I want a bite, I use their fork.

Heh, my closest friends need to be able to let me eat off their plate, cuz it's gonna happen. I actually have a passion for going to restaurants and getting two dishes and splitting them both. I love variety, and that's the only way to get it without being FATO FATO!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Ess

Postby Ess » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:34 am UTC

I'll share food with friends/family. As long as I'm not eating the part that another person has bitten off, it's all good. I won't share drinks with another person unless we both have separate straws. I used to get kinda freaked out about people sharing drinks, until this year when the guys who sat on either side of my friend in class decided it would be great fun to just randomly take her water and drink it. She just started letting people do it. One day about half the class had taken a swig from her water (I didn't because, eww, half the class's spit.)

However, I will NOT share a utensil with someone else. Ever. There is just something that compels me to not do it.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

I have no problems sharing food or drink with people I know, provided they aren't little kids (ew) or ill (my immune system is pathetic, I don't need to make matters worse). They don't really necessarily need to be friends, and I have no problems with utensil sharing either. I'll often pass my pasta off (with fork) to someone else to have a few bites if I don't think I'll eat it all. I have one friend who I constantly share pizza with...often one of us will buy a piece at break, and the other will have several bites of it. I just don't think about it. (I also quite often drink most of her water, as I'm too lazy to go fill mine up.)

I mean, I'd never share with a stranger, and little kids are an absolute no (especially drinks -- they always backwash. My stepsister has taken swigs of my drink without asking before, and I have to just give it to her, because there's no way I can make myself drink it after she's had some), but generally I don't really care.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

someguy

Postby someguy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

I'm not sure how I feel about food and utensils these days, as I spend a lot of time alone.

Badly-washed dishes and utensils DO sort of gross me out, but on the other hand I will drink mate (a traditional local beverage that's passed around and drunk from a straw) with just about anyone that offers, within reason. Even if it's someone I don't really know all that well (a FOAF, say).
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 am UTC

someguy wrote:mate

I have never heard of that until now. I would like to try it.
However, western Pennsylvania isn't exactly the Argentinian capitol of the world.

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:57 am UTC

joeframbach wrote:
someguy wrote:mate

I have never heard of that until now. I would like to try it.
However, western Pennsylvania isn't exactly the Argentinian capitol of the world.

You shouldn't have a lot of trouble procuring some yerba, I've heard of people obtaining it just about everywhere with a little effort. Look for Argentinian delis, perhaps?

Finding the bombilla (straw) and the mate (gourd) itself (which you don't really need, you can use a small cup of just about any kind) shouldn't be a problem once you've located a place that sells yerba; alternately, a quick Google search turned up a few places that look like they sell the stuff online—this is one (not affiliated).
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:38 am UTC

Out here in California you can get it in the tea section of pretty much any market, but then, California's weird. Try a health food store?

About yerba mate, be careful, stupid people think it's marijuana. A friend of mine sent me a 1/2 kilo bag of it from argentina, I gave some to a guy that lived down the hall (dorm), and he tried to smoke it, got busted, told them I gave it to them, and they tried to get me in trouble. Seriously. Not only does it not look or smell like marijuana. I had a half kilo bag of it on my counter. I'm not [i[that[/i] wealthy (or dumb).

Return to “Food”