"xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel" Video

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

Wondrej

"xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel" Video

Postby Wondrej » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:18 am UTC

I got and idea about making video of XKCD Loves the Discovery Channelcomic, and with the music of the video that DC made for that.

What Iam thinking about is. That everyone who came up with video of some of the window from that XKCD strip. will send it to meh and we can manage that all together will make one whole-world-conected vid. With you guys singing and packing bobcat into box etc.

I think me and my friend can manage the music so all we will need is you guys singing and making vids of single windows of "XKCD Loves the Discovery Channel"

What do you think about this?

If there will be enough people who would do this we can start working on it :)
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

Mat

Re: "xkcd Loves the Discovery Channel" Video

Postby Mat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:47 am UTC

cool idea :D

some of the panels would be kind of hard to film though, maybe we should add our own lyrics as well?

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:59 am UTC

Mat wrote:some of the panels would be kind of hard to film though, maybe we should add our own lyrics as well?

Well lyrics are the sentences from the comic tho. and yeah the one on the rollercoaster will be though.

But anyway nothing is imposible right? :)
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

Tamir

Postby Tamir » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm UTC

I was totally going to make this thread. ^_^

The hardest panels to do will be rollercoaster, Cory Doctorow, kite photography, and Obama. The last two will probably require a bluescreen and a video editing program, but they can be done.

Also difficult will be the ballpit, electric skateboard and the hamster ball. I know there are xkcd fans out there who own these things.....we need your help!!!

I'll see if I can contribute one of the easy ones. =D Maybe I'll find a beret and do the bakery.

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

Best will be if all of the guys who gonna do this will make as much as they can, and if possible more of each window so we will be able to sort it out.

AND for the chorus "boom de yada" do eather that someone will gather group of people to sing or each person will record they voices and we will put it together in computer (witch is a bit harder)

Tamir

Postby Tamir » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

We'll also need someone to play a few easy chords on the piano. ^_^ This is totally doable!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

I can probably try to do the rollercoaster tomorrow. I'm going to Dorney Park and can probably get out video on my camera phone as I'm on the ride long enough to yell "I love the whole world!"

Maybe not playing chess, though.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:I can probably try to do the rollercoaster tomorrow. I'm going to Dorney Park and can probably get out video on my camera phone as I'm on the ride long enough to yell "I love the whole world!"

On rollercoasters, as far i know, its forbidden from good reaseon to have lose objects on you, but if will manage that, that would be awesome!!!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

Taking my phone out of my pocket can suffice. I only worry about dropping the phone...

Tamir

Postby Tamir » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Sounds great! I think I'm going to try doing the red spider with clay. Yay for stop motion!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Wondrej wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:I can probably try to do the rollercoaster tomorrow. I'm going to Dorney Park and can probably get out video on my camera phone as I'm on the ride long enough to yell "I love the whole world!"

On rollercoasters, as far i know, its forbidden from good reaseon to have lose objects on you, but if will manage that, that would be awesome!!!

Plus you'd have to deal with both the phone and the chess board.

Are there any rollercoasters where you can get video of yourself rather than just static pictures? Could just take a chess board onto one of those (in the same manner as people have already done) and then dub the audio in later.

---

For the alt text, I'm imagining that when the video ends with the electric skateboard, it freezes, turns grayscale (because turning grayscale is cool. maybe sepia.), zooms out to frames from the other shots from the video, and a mouse cursor comes in from the edge of the screen, a pause, and then "I love the title-text!" pops up.

---
For panel 5 (hamster ball) probably use a picture of someone zorbing and dub audio over that.

For panel 18, I'm trying to figure out how to make that work - just holding a real transistor in front of you would be lame.

For panel 9, we have to decide whether to go with the "taking the present away" interpretation or the "bobcat" interpretation - if the latter, we need some way to make the box move around, and dub over bobcat sound effects.

Who's going to volunteer to ask Cory Doctorow if he would like to participate in filming - if the answer's no, we need a body double.

the_vorpal_blade

Postby the_vorpal_blade » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

The new Tony Hawk spinning wild mouse coaster at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (formerly Marine World) has on-ride videos.
I have access to one such video, but without chess board.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

The problem with buying an on-ride video (i was planning on taking admittedly crappy video with my phone, actually) is that the videos, much like still pictures, are reviewed for content. And much of the time when operators see that stuff it gets flagged inappropriate.

olganunes

Postby olganunes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

Hee! Randall's started a monster! :D

I posted this a few hours ago: xkcd Music video

Maybe we should join forces?

warmly!
olga

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:The problem with buying an on-ride video (i was planning on taking admittedly crappy video with my phone, actually) is that the videos, much like still pictures, are reviewed for content. And much of the time when operators see that stuff it gets flagged inappropriate.

But people _actually got_ their still pictures - in one case IIRC (this was in the forum thread not the chesscoaster site) the operators even wanted to put it on display, but someone in the background of the shot had walked off before they could get permission. So if the content review isn't any more stringent than for the stills (and why would it be), then people would be able to get their video.

Could always do the "thinking pose" then edit the board in frame-by-frame. It really needs to be more picturesque than video from a camera phone being held by one of the riders though.

Has anyone contacted Cory Doctorow yet?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

This is bound to become the most popular video on Youtube. ^^

Anyway, I'd love to be a part of this milestone in internet history. Or well, just want to be a part of something crazy. If other people's attempts fail, I can try contacting my local theme park, and see if they would allow me to do the roller coaster video. The chess board shouldn't be a problem, I have a couple of them, I just need to find some super glue of some sort. And I have a digital camera, so making the video should be possible too.

I imagine some of the other panels will be hard to do though, like the transistor and the /b/.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I'm also willing to help!

/b/ Shouldn't be too hard, we could either take a random thread or we could collaborate to make our own thread and show that.

I'm all over the sword fighting scene. I should be filming it today.

Also, my school has green screens, with photo editing equipment, all good software. I don't know what quality cameras we have though.

Also my thoughts on the speech during the song: Maybe do speech bubbles because the actual speech would interrupt the song. (Video edited speech bubbles, not that new YouTube feature.)

Also, I don't think everything has to be verbatum. Some of it does, just to fit the comic. Like if blogosphere didn't have a red cape and goggles. It wouldn't coincide with the comic. But for the transistors, if we deviated minorly, I don't think it'd be a problem.
[centeraligndamnit]Mito is:
_________
(noun) + ing
[/centeraligndamnit]

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Any ideas for the map of the internet panel? I know there's a 3-D globe version on youtube somewhere...
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

olganunes wrote:Hee! Randall's started a monster! :D

warmly!
olga

I think there should be collaboration. Why not have one really really good joined effort instead of two projects?

Roland Lockheart wrote:Any ideas for the map of the internet panel? I know there's a 3-D globe version on youtube somewhere...

My thoughts was that if anyone was willing to cough up like $20 for and XKCD Map of the Internet-- they could form that into a sphere and we could film that rotating or something. Maybe rotating on fish wires with a black background with LED lights as stars? Then green screen in some astronauts or something?

That was just a thought.

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

iMito wrote:
olganunes wrote:Hee! Randall's started a monster! :D

warmly!
olga

I think there should be collaboration. Why not have one really really good joined effort instead of two projects?

Roland Lockheart wrote:Any ideas for the map of the internet panel? I know there's a 3-D globe version on youtube somewhere...

My thoughts was that if anyone was willing to cough up like $20 for and XKCD Map of the Internet-- they could form that into a sphere and we could film that rotating or something. Maybe rotating on fish wires with a black background with LED lights as stars? Then green screen in some astronauts or something?

That was just a thought.

Dress someone up as a 1700's explorer and have them navigating the map with a compass?
-Winston Churchill

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

There is, just found it. Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfNSA3QmWg

Edit: Oh, and this proves without a trace of doubt, why it is an awesome idea to have a ballpit in your home. All for the cause of this video. ^^
Last edited by ThemePark on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:Dress someone up as a 1700's explorer and have them navigating the map with a compass?

Even better! Dude! Brilliant. It wouldn't be hard to do that either. Well, the costume, maybe.

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

iMito wrote:
Roland Lockheart wrote:Dress someone up as a 1700's explorer and have them navigating the map with a compass?

Even better! Dude! Brilliant. It wouldn't be hard to do that either. Well, the costume, maybe.

There are a ton of costume rental places around, even where I am. Most high school/college theater departments usually have large supplies as well.

And to who/how are we sending video clips to?
-Winston Churchill

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:
iMito wrote:

There are a ton of costume rental places around, even where I am. Most high school/college theater departments usually have large supplies as well.

And to who/how are we sending video clips to?

I've created a gmail account for this project: thexkcdproject@gmail.com. The ones with access to this account are me, Wondrej, and sertrel and lacrimaeveneris from LiveJournal.
Last edited by iMito on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Cool, thanks.
-Winston Churchill

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

Just so you guys know, there's another collaboration for this video going on over at the LJ feed, which grew into its own project community: http://community.livejournal.com/xkcd_boomdeyada

It's looking good, a lot of themes have been claimed. =)
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

Mercat wrote:Just so you guys know, there's another collaboration for this video going on over at the LJ feed, which grew into its own project community: http://community.livejournal.com/xkcd_boomdeyada

Can someone try to coordinate so we can share footage (or even combine the forums project with their project)? Some of us don't have LJ accounts.

Has anyone attempted to contact Cory Doctorow? (Sorry if I seem to be focused on this a bit - in all fairness he _is_ the only celebrity depicted in the strip)

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
Mercat wrote:Just so you guys know, there's another collaboration for this video going on over at the LJ feed, which grew into its own project community: http://community.livejournal.com/xkcd_boomdeyada

Can someone try to coordinate so we can share footage (or even combine the forums project with their project)? Some of us don't have LJ accounts.

Has anyone attempted to contact Cory Doctorow? (Sorry if I seem to be focused on this a bit - in all fairness he _is_ the only celebrity depicted in the strip)

You forget Obama. I have contacted him and we'll see how he responds.

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

iMito wrote:You forget Obama.

We don't technically know that's Obama. It could be McCain. It could be anyone, really. All we know is that the other figure is shouting something related to Obama's name.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Why did this have to go up while I was on vacation? If I were at home I could easily do the map of the internet and maybe a couple others, as it is though, I'm on my laptop until the 5th, so I'll see what I can come up with.

okelay

Postby okelay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I already joined the lj comm and someone mentioned this so I came to check it out.
well,in case Cory Doctorow can't do it,I do own a cape and goggles-and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I signed up to do the kite photography over there. I figured I can hang a rope with a kite and and hang from there while someone else records.make it look as if I'm high while I'm not.

not many people have ballpits at home but I'm sure somewhere, some mall or store or whatever must have some for the kids

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

This thread is collaborating with the LJ Community. http://community.livejournal.com/xkcd_b ... /3256.html

This thread will be used for those without an LJ account. However, all information will be located on the LJ page.

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Sober

Original xkcd/Discovery Channel song

Postby Sober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

This afternoon I threw this tune together based on the DC song with xkcd's lyrics (don't worry, it's short). Who wants to put the slides together and make a video out of this?

xkcd song

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I figured it would get lost in the comic thread. Tell me what you guys think.

brianez21

Re: Original xkcd/Discovery Channel song

Postby brianez21 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Last edited by brianez21 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

That was pretty epic. I would say you have won an internet, but due to the global credit crunch, there's only enough internets around for me to give you one half of an internet. But yes, your awesome mp3 there wins you one half of an internet!
There's an unofficial project to do a full video for it over here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24319, which with that good musical quality you might want to volunteer a backing track to or something.

And welcome to the fora.

Sober

Postby Sober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

From another thread:

Dobblesworth wrote:That was pretty epic. I would say you have won an internet, but due to the global credit crunch, there's only enough internets around for me to give you one half of an internet. But yes, your awesome mp3 there wins you one half of an internet!
There's an unofficial project to do a full video for it over here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24319, which with that good musical quality you might want to volunteer a backing track to or something.

And welcome to the fora.

Thanks for the link, Dob. Here you go, guys:

xkcd song

If something more tailor-made for the video is needed, I can handle it.

Sober

Postby Sober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Hey, thanks guys. I went ahead and posted in the video thread. Should be pretty cool. I like doing little joke songs, it's a nice break from real production. I've also done joke songs for Maddox, fark, and Ninjapirate.com

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

Nice!
Very cool.

I love the original song.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

That song is made of win, and surprisingly good. Is that you "Boom-de-yada"ing?

iMito

Postby iMito » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Proposed scheduling:

Monday June 30 - All lines double assigned.
Monday July 14 - All short videos due.
Monday July 21 - Initial video post-processing complete, emergency reshoot scheduling, sound remastering if necessary.
Friday July 25 - Final video completed, all short videos posted for download, along with soundtrack elements.

Sober wrote:From another thread:

Dobblesworth wrote:That was pretty epic. I would say you have won an internet, but due to the global credit crunch, there's only enough internets around for me to give you one half of an internet. But yes, your awesome mp3 there wins you one half of an internet!

And welcome to the fora.

Thanks for the link, Dob. Here you go, guys:

xkcd song

If something more tailor-made for the video is needed, I can handle it.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

_________

(noun) + ing

[/centeraligndamnit]

Return to “Your art and links”