Obohemia

Think your art is better or your stick figures worse? Got a link to a site you want to share? Post it here!

Moderators: Jacque, Moderators General, Prelates

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I was at this masterclass last week, and an old student of my prof was giving a lecture on "Tone Hole Acoustics."
I don't think this will ever actually be a comic, but I thought I might post it here, just for fun.
[img]deleted[/img]
I find it to be sad that no one in the room had seen "Office Space" and so I was sitting there dying of laughter on the inside every time Brian said anything about FLAIR.
I also wish I could've illustrated his hand movements better. I swear it was like dancing.

What does this alleged undercutting in the tone hole supposedly do to the sound? And why don’t they just ask someone who makes oboes if they actually “undercutâ€
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.
If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

I think Brian said it's because it's unmeasurable, that it's all done by intuition, and what it does is somewhat illogical and messy/complicated/doesn't apply to every oboe or even most oboes...

I'm not sure. I just wrote down a bunch of things he said, which I believe, because he's made oboes (worked for Paul Covey, a well-known manufacturer), and studied oboe acoustics.
Anyway. Yep.

EDIT:
A new comic?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:14 am UTC

I'm double posting. Sorry! My wobsite is down right now, but I'm doing a Tribute Week! So I wanted to show you guys, because I feel like I kind of like these. Maybe more than what I've been doing.

MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 am UTC

I like the dinosaurs. Very funny.

The bunny is even better.

But I play a flute (very badly for 30 years of trying), so what do I know?
...the whim of a hat.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:37 pm UTC

Ren, your comics are great!

Cow - does your moustache get in the way?
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

davef wrote:Ren, your comics are great!

Cow - does your moustache get in the way?

Not so much as a truly remarkable lack of talent.
...the whim of a hat.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

So with the new layout of my website, it's much, much easier to write blogs. Today I wrote one I'm kind of proud of!

Here it is.

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

German sound > American Sound > Old european (French)

Great comic though! Didn't think I'd see an oboe comic, ever! :p

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Sorry man, I'm all about the North American sound. Particularly the Philadelphia school.

Although I did get a comment from one random European oboist thinking that American oboes are the ones that sound like ducks. WEIRD.

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:14 pm UTC

Well, I think many old recordings and all bad players on any reed sound like a duck.

But you realize that there are many completely different schools of reeds in Europe. The Viennese (the oboists in the Wienna Philharmonic) and the Dutch (Han de Vries) are totally different from anything in the world, with their strange short and broad reeds. Some scholars say that this style is derived directly from the shawm reeds.

The most influental (or well-known)(arguably) oboists in europe are: Albrecht Mayer, Heinz Holliger, Maurice Bourge, Gordon Hunt, Han de Vries, Neil Black, Nicholas Daniel. I think it is enough to check two or three of them out to hear that there is no European sound. Sounds is the right word.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

"Powered by Linux

Error 404"

I find that really funny for some reason.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Well, of course people have different sounds. But the most marked difference in tones is the North American/European sound.

There are lots of schools of playing here too; for example, my prof is from the "Philadelphia school" which has a different sound than others, but his sound and another Philadelphier's sound will also be different.

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

I just can't think of any one european sound/style :)

American are all reeds based on Tabuteau's style (well, I'm probably wrong, but I read this in an american reed book, can you tell me something about the Philadelphia school?), but in europe there are some reeds derived directly from shawm/baroque oboe reeds (a Vienna reed is about 60 mm long with a long scrape), some from Koch's style (who developed his own from scratch, just as Tabuteau did), some from the old french style, others from the British style (up to 75 mm long with rather short scrape - yet another independent style).
Since we are talking about sound, not reeds, I have to mention another thing, the oboes themselves. I have heard that nearly all american professionals use Lorée oboes (I ask you, is it true?), while most British players use Howarth (the whole LSO section fx) and I know Holliger plays Rigutat, Albrecht Mayer (1st in the Berliner Philharmonic) plays Buffet, some even play old Kreul oboes (1st oboe of the BBC concert orchestra for an example).

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:11 am UTC

It's not true at all. My profs play on Yamahas and Laubins. I play a Yamaha. Lorees are nice, but they're not quite as popular as a lot of sources make them out to be.

I_Ate_My_Children

Postby I_Ate_My_Children » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

The idea of a small company of oboe makers in Paris supplying oboes for the entire US never sounded convincing anyway :roll:
I once went there, they didn't even have a proper store, the entire business located on a second floor apartment in a block of flats, had to ring a doorbell to get in.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:54 am UTC

I_Ate_My_Children wrote:small company of oboe makers in Paris

I'm fairly certain they have larger facilities in North America. Loree is still probably the largest supplier of oboes in general.

Flying Betty

Re: Obohemia

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:52 am UTC

These are really cute! (And I play bassoon so I can at least pretend to get all the reed jokes.) Keep it up!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Paeter Melsee

Postby Paeter Melsee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Lies and tails of fair-eyes

Linux router-webserver is always online!
only sneaky ISP causes downtime, resetink ip

vill be konstructink script of sheels to fixink shortely

BVD

Postby BVD » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:06 am UTC

I love the "Little Did She Know" comic ::thumbs up::

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:31 am UTC

Am I a bad person for bumping this? Something awesome just happened.

Alex Klein (the guy in this comic) is possibly the best oboist in the world--he is certainly held up as such by my professor.
He found my website. I have no idea how! NO IDEA. And left a comment on one of my blogs!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
*freaks out*

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

That's so awesome Ren! I'm really happy for you.

Return to “Your art and links”