Direction for buttoning shirts?

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Which order do you use to button your shirts/blouses?

From Top to Bottom
41%
From Bottom to Top
27%
Leave them open
No votes
Middle and out
14%
All at once
14%
Left to right
No votes
Alphabetically
5%
Alternating
No votes

Total votes: 22

Quizatzhaderac

Direction for buttoning shirts?

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

Hard procrastinating people on The Internet® have discovered a new thing for us to pointless argue about.

Which order do you prefer? Why are people who disagree with you deviants?
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Direction for buttoning shirts?

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm UTC

Requesting random with heuristic.

I want my shirt to be closed as much in the least number of buttonings. Buttoning somewhere near the top or bottom first (which lead to the second buttoning being somewhere on the other end with really high probability) has a high chance of being picked, buttoning somewhere near the middle has a lower probability (it may give the best closure for the first button, but all second buttonings will be worse than picking top & bottom). After the second or third button (given fewer than 8 buttons in total), the heuristic falls flat and it becomes a random process.

Is there a name for this type of process? The closest I can think of is poisson disc sampling, but that's a stretch.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 pm UTC

Where's the option for never wearing shirts with buttons?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Probably starting three or four buttons down from the collar (slightly above 'breast' height, despite neither manboobs nor prominant pecs), I then make my way down, hopeful to discover that the bottom aligns when reached (shuffling back upwards if I discover such an error). This leaves me with an unbuttoned 'V neck', not displaying so much of my manly (well, hairy!) chest, but definitely with a casual statement to it.

Should I be destined to don a tie (or even a bow-tie, assuming I can still muster the muscle-memory needed to knot it!) I shall address the remaining buttons only just prior to that part of the process, V-base on upwards. Otherwise, I leave full-buttoning only for "shoulda woulda coulda brung a tie, but didn't" situations where I emulate respectability with the fully buttoned collar as if wearing a(n invisible) tie.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 pm UTC

Depends. If it’s a shirt that needs to be buttoned all the way, top to bottom (obviously leaving the very top button (on the collar) either unbottoned entirely or for last if I have too wear a tie). If it’s like a Hawaiian shirt that only has buttons halfway, bottom to top.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 pm UTC

Bottom to top, obviously.

Return to “Religious Wars”