2%
Other
26%

Total votes: 246

hotaru

Re: Best *nix Desktop Environment/Window Manager/whatever

Postby hotaru » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:KDE4 is teh screen garbage:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm
Funnily, people still prefer it to Vista. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

apparently most people have no idea what windows 7 looks like.
they could have easily made it look like windows 7 if they wanted to, which is IMO one of the greatest advantages of KDE. if you don't like the way it looks, you can change it. unlike gnome, where you're stuck with all the buttons in dialog boxes being about three times as tall as the text in them.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

GameFreak

Postby GameFreak » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:35 am UTC

In regards to the title, not the description, I prefer aqua. But it runs on darwin as apposed to linux. For linux I by choice would definitely be KDE
Windows: Life without walls.
In a world without walls or fences, nobody would need windows or gates.

Xsera is coming!

brosmike

Postby brosmike » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Xmonad on top of Xfce - best of both worlds. Tiling window managers are a plus for my little laptop screen and, especially, for avoiding the touchpad, and doing it on top of Xfce means I can still have a decent-looking panel happening. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but all the tiling WMs I've tried seem to like EVERYTHING text-based, and I think it looks much cleaner at no significant performance cost to use something crazy and newfangled like icons in my status bar.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:50 am UTC

XFCE. Though my favorite WM is jwm, i don't think i could live without other GTK-reliant things, and so the lightness of jwm/other wm-only configs is lost anyway.

Marz

Postby Marz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 am UTC

brosmike wrote:Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but all the tiling WMs I've tried seem to like EVERYTHING text-based, and I think it looks much cleaner at no significant performance cost to use something crazy and newfangled like icons in my status bar.

Possible in Awesome.

v1nsai

KDE vs. GNOME: The Smackdown

Postby v1nsai » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

I really got a kick out of this article and wanted to share it with teh forumz.

I used installed KDE 4 with my ubuntu install and it mucked up my sound, I ended up reinstalling the whole OS (I keep /home on a separate partition) I didn't realize how new it was when I did it though, or I prolly would have waited. It was jaw dropping gorgeous though, I wanna try it again but I like having sound so I haven't yet
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

JordyD

Re: KDE vs. GNOME: The Smackdown

Postby JordyD » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 am UTC

I love KDE, but I hate Kubuntu. For whatever reason, it was always slow and crashy for me. On the other hand, Mandriva's KDE was really awesome. The only reason I still use GNOME+Ubuntu is because Ubuntu's repos are bigger (and as I said, I think Kubuntu sucks). Overall, though, I have to say I use/have used GNOME far more than KDE, and it's what I started with.

Anyways, I didn't actually read the article because I was far too lazy (I stopped around the second page).

Xbehave

Re: KDE vs. GNOME: The Smackdown

Postby Xbehave » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:46 am UTC

JordyD wrote:I love KDE, but I hate Kubuntu.
I keep hearing that but as somebody who used kubuntu, debian+kde and fedora+kde for sustained periods of time, i really don't see it.

IMO KDE and gnome target different markets, KDE is much more tweakable and so better for people like me, but GNOME is simpler and easier to support, so its better for businesses
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

v1nsai

Postby v1nsai » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:09 am UTC

KDE has a very sharp (mac) feel to it to me. Everything being K this or K that kinda pisses me off though, and I really hated KATE (that's the text editor right?). Gedit rawkx.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

aldld

Postby aldld » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 am UTC

I use Gnome right now, though I've been thinking of trying something else, like Xfce.

I have tried KDE and I hated it. Somehow, it felt a bit to "windowsy".

You, sir, name?

Re: Desktops and UIs

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I like gnome. I don't care if you think it's too bloated. Fluxbox just isn't usable.

Fluxbox, or preferably blackbox (flux is a bit bloated in my opinion) is the only WM you need. It manages windows. What more could you possible need?

The controls for flux and black are quite neat. In other WMs I always miss being able to use the alt key to resize or move windows without having to go all the way up to the title bar. And window focus following the mouse cursor works like it should. Some WMs try to emulate it, but it's just not the same.

I also think WMs should penalize customization. I want all window managers to look like blackbox does in the default setting (that is, not the new version of blackbox, that's bloated, the older one). And attempting to change that should send electric shocks through the keyboard.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

I like awesome, but mostly use Gnome.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

spupy

Postby spupy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

I'm a Fluxbox fanatic. Its customization options (control-wise) make it perfect for my laptop.
Although I think that if I get a stationary computer with a larger screen, I will settle for KDE4 plus some of my favorite gtk programs.
Last edited by spupy on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Greg02

Postby Greg02 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

xmonad. Tiling WM, highly customizable (Haskell), and perfect for running multiple instances of Emacs.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 am UTC

It's a long story..
I started with GNOME, the Ubuntu default.

But GNOME was like, "Man, I'm not going to arrange your icons for you. I want your mind, and icons, to be free....."
And I said, "But I just want you to fucking line up my icons, isn't there even an option for that?"
GNOME: ".... whoa, man...."

So then I moved to KDE 4, I think. I actually started with KDE 3, but then I was in GNOME for a little while as I waited for the KDE 4.0 storm to blow through.

I'm planning to try LXDE next time I do a major re-install. If that doesn't work, I'll move back to KDE 4 and write my own desktop out of Qt and non-KDE parts, because the last time I tried to program in the KDE style, I had some kind of emotional breakdown. I'm almost being serious. I felt inadequate as a programmer because none of their stuff made sense to me, and I was just trying to write a Plasmoid. I like how KDE looks, but I fucking hate how it's organized under the hood.

Chavroux

Postby Chavroux » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:59 am UTC

Ratpoison
(Actually GNU screen inside Ratpoison, with some sloppy scripts to fill the gaps between those two.)

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:54 am UTC

Just today, I switched back to GNOME. Even went so far as to reinstall my root.

Mostly it was because of GNOME shell, which is what the GNOME people should have done years ago to rival KDE.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 am UTC

Really?
I thought the GNOME Shell looked silly. I don't see how it's an improvement over the regular desktop, except for eye candy.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

It is just eye candy. Gloriously delicious eye candy.
But it's not officially released yet. I expect the GNOME people will fix up the interface upon release.

hazyarc

Postby hazyarc » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:43 am UTC

I am using XMonad right now and it is a very nice WM. I have conky piped into dzen2 to provide a very nice status bar.
It is a very customizable setup.

thinboy00

Postby thinboy00 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 am UTC

I use Gnome, mostly because I'm on Ubuntu and I'm too lazy to switch to E17.

I did replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver because the former is a clusterfuck w.r.t. configuration (unlike E17 (E17, not E16), xscreensaver is actually in the repository).
[rant]
Spoiler:
Did you know that you have to edit .config files to e.g. set the text which will be displayed by the various text-related screensavers if you use gnome-screensaver? This is because it is supposedly too scary to the newbie to actually let them configure their screensaver the way they want, never mind that ∼all other OSs (read: Windows and (AFAIK) OS X) have no problem doing just that.
[/rant]

I'm considering KDE, but I've heard that Kubuntu is too slow... E16 is too antiquated (read: it's ugly/insufficient eye-candy)... I heard that Xfce is too lightweight... There's nothing else in the repositories so installing another environment is decidedly nontrivial:
Spoiler:

./autogen.sh ; sudo apt-get install all the dependencies it asked for ; ./autogen.sh ; lather-rinse-repeat ; again ; once-more for good measure; ./configure ; sudo apt-get install more dependencies ; ./configure ; again ; make ; sudo make install

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:51 am UTC

thinboy00 wrote:I'm considering KDE, but I've heard that Kubuntu is too slow...

ha ha, ha. ha.

I dunno about slow, but Kubuntu 9.04 is ... buggy. At least the x64 version.
KDE is just freaking ridiculous. Maybe the 9.10 version is better. I heard Arora actually runs without segfaulting in that one.

I'm thinking about just packing up all my shit and moving to Arch Linux or maybe GoboLinux. Arch is well-supported and has loads of packages, but philosophically, Gobo is like a hundred times better than all other Linux distributions.

For DEs, LXDE is looking pretty good. It's simple enough, though it does use GTK. I want something that uses Qt, but isn't as huge and buggy and horrible as KDE.

qbg

Postby qbg » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:20 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:

ha ha, ha. ha.

For me, x64 Kubuntu 9.10 is AWESOME FAST; haven't experienced any real bugs that I remember.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:23 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:

ha ha, ha. ha.

KDE is just freaking ridiculous. Maybe the 9.10 version is better. I heard Arora actually runs without segfaulting in that one.

I'm thinking about just packing up all my shit and moving to Arch Linux or maybe GoboLinux. Arch is well-supported and has loads of packages, but philosophically, Gobo is like a hundred times better than all other Linux distributions.

For DEs, LXDE is looking pretty good. It's simple enough, though it does use GTK. I want something that uses Qt, but isn't as huge and buggy and horrible as KDE.

Indeed, Kubuntu 9.04 was buggy, e.g, the window manager crashed whenever I tried to view the properties of my root folder...

Isaac356

Postby Isaac356 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

lu6cifer wrote:
lulzfish wrote:

ha ha, ha. ha.

Indeed, Kubuntu 9.04 was buggy, e.g, the window manager crashed whenever I tried to view the properties of my root folder...

Wow, sounds horrible. I'm using Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit right now, and it hasn't failed me yet :)
Spoiler:

class Foo
  def x
    return 1
  end
  def bar
    puts x
    x = 0 if false
    puts x
    x = 2
    puts x
  end
end

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+PgDown

Vash

Postby Vash » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

GNOME is just not intuitive or usable. I did like Ubuntu with GNOME, but have seen no other distro where it was decent. I would rather use full console, though. There is no point in even bothering with GNOME. Granted, I am inexperienced, but it was taking me hours to figure out how to do a single thing (perhaps even down to putting an icon on the desktop, if I recall correctly). GNOME defeats the point of having an interface in the first place.

flying sheep

Re: Desktops and UIs

Postby flying sheep » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

SimonM wrote:GNOME

Its so easy to get used to.

maybe if you come from osx or windows.
not if you are used to an useable KDE

cjmcjmcjmcjm

GNOME v. KDE

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Seeing as GNOME 3.0 and a KDE update were released on the same day and there isn't a thread about this yet, which do your prefer? The more flaming, the better!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Thor

Re: GNOME v. KDE

Postby Thor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

KDE because it makes more sense

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Dwm. Gnome and KDE are both lumbering blubber monsters.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:Dwm. Gnome and KDE are both lumbering blubber monsters.

Xmonad! It's formally verified!

Although I run it inside of gnome so that I can get the tasty panels and widgets.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

I run xmonad at work; I used to use Awesome.

I was sold on the tiling window manager after using one for all of about 2 minutes. It does mean that no one else can use my computer. :-)

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I run xmonad at work; I used to use Awesome.

I was sold on the tiling window manager after using one for all of about 2 minutes. It does mean that no one else can use my computer. :-)

I lost that battle ages ago.

I run vimperator with firefox, use vim, use xmonad, it's wonderful. The worst for me is when I have to use a public computer, or, worse, one without Linux, and get really confused that my frantic keypresses do nothing :(

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

i’ll try to really use vim one day (by now i know how to enter insert mode, leave it, and leave vim with or without saving)

the problem with vimperator is that it rapes the visual style on every website so badly that my inner webdev cries whenever i see screenshots of it.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

I also have wmii on my laptop. I've got it better configured than dwm on the desktop; battery and IM indicators and suchlike. But I think I'll prefer dwm when I get around to some tinkering in config.h.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:13 am UTC

flying sheep wrote:i’ll try to really use vim one day (by now i know how to enter insert mode, leave it, and leave vim with or without saving)

the problem with vimperator is that it rapes the visual style on every website so badly that my inner webdev cries whenever i see screenshots of it.

I'm not sure what you mean about it affecting visual style; from what I can tell it doesn't change websites at all, except for adding the link numbering when I press 'f'. Could you be more specific?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 am UTC

Yeah, I'm with Meteorswarm... I use vimperator, and sites render identically in it, and in vanilla Firefox. Aside from the status bar, I don't think there's any visual difference at all, until you start hitting the vimperator function keys. Can you elaborate, say with screenshots? And without claiming that vimperator has non-consensual sex with website layouts?

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

i did only see screenshots so far (as previously said: it doesn’t make sense before you are accustomed to vim)

an on all of these apparently the link-highlighting was on.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Here's a screenshot of me running vimperator under firefox 4 in normal browsing mode:
vimperator.png

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 am UTC

What, no E17? :roll:

I had Bodhi installed on my netbook, and it looked and worked beautifully. Unfortunately, said netbook's cheap SSD just crapped out last week. :evil:
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

Return to “Religious Wars”