Make your peace.
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Re: CONSOLE WARS!!!

Postby Hammer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Oh, you meant game consoles! I thought you were asking if it was okay to war about command windows. :facepalm:

Yeah, I guess this is okay here for now. I might move it to Gaming at some point in the future though depending on the direction it takes.

* realizes once again how old she is and limps off to chase some more damn kids off the lawn *
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

I'd vote for Nintendo+Microsoft, but I'm pretty sure the PS2 is beating this generation as well as the last one.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

malarkie

Postby malarkie » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

This generation is PS3, XBox 360, and the Wii. With the 360 winning handily, but with titles like metal gear solid 4 and some other stuff PS3 may make a comeback.
SecondTalon wrote:
So long as it's sticky and goes well with a taco.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

are you kidding me? where are you getting your facts, cheif?
Now, I own all three consoles, and love each and every one of them, but as far as 'winning' goes, if it's money that counts...
The Wii is the only console in history to be 99% sold out of ever shipment for 50 weeks straight with no sign of stopping. it's sales charts are off the hook, the grid, and the charts. It's single handedly defeated both the 360 and the ps3 combined as far as sales go.

Now games is another story. the 360 has a more 'quality' library of the three systems, but the wii is quickly catching up. With games like twilight princess and mario galaxy it's building a strong, dedicated library with that 250$ price tag. add in Resident evil umbrella chronicles, soul caliber legends, Guitar hero 3, and smash brothers brawl, this spring it will be quite the force to be reckoned with.

the ps3 isn't quite worth it's price tag yet as far as a console goes. sure if you want a blu ray player, it's hands down the best buy, but as a gaming console it's not up to par yet. Heavenly Sword and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are the only two 'EXCLUSIVE' titles worth getting for the system. there's a couple of decent games for it, most notably today Assassin's Creed. Gundam Dynasty is a good pickup, and i could go on about it's 'redeeming' features, but why bother? When final fantasy 13 comes out, or metal gear solid 4, the fanboys will cash out and sony seems more than happy to wait for them.

As far as a "Winner", this fall, the players are the winner. we're in a renaissance era of gaming here, with another triple-a company releasing a head liner nearly every week.

The wii for a good party game or family friendly fun
the 360 for a nice solo gaming session (rpg or shooter)
and the ps3 for eye popping visual candy
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Are we looking for predictions or favorites here?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

What about SEGA?
Off my lawn, y'all!

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

LDJosh wrote:
Now games is another story. the 360 has a more 'quality' library of the three systems, but the wii is quickly catching up. With games like twilight princess and mario galaxy it's building a strong, dedicated library with that 250$ price tag. add in Resident evil umbrella chronicles, soul caliber legends, Guitar hero 3, and smash brothers brawl, this spring it will be quite the force to be reckoned with.

Your forgetting the virtual console.

The Wii wins right there on the quality library front with that alone.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:01 am UTC

nintendo I say! followed by (in this generation at least) Microsoft.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 am UTC

Nintendo all the way. I haven't done anything with the wii, but these are the people that brought you SNES and N64! I learned to read off those things! Well, the players guides, at least (seriously).

FiddleMath

Postby FiddleMath » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:34 am UTC

Dibley wrote:Nintendo all the way. I haven't done anything with the wii, but these are the people that brought you SNES and N64! I learned to read off those things! Well, the players guides, at least (seriously).

Heh; I honed my reading skills largely on players guides and manuals for the NES.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Are we looking for predictions or favorites here?

Allow me to clarify: We're talking about favorites, not whoever's winning the war. Meaning: Post your favorites, not who's selling the most.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:
rrwoods wrote:Are we looking for predictions or favorites here?

Allow me to clarify: We're talking about favorites, not whoever's winning the war. Meaning: Post your favorites, not who's selling the most.

Nintendo, hands down. The only thing not on the Wii that I care about is Rock Band, and I've got a PS2 for that come December 18 (though the lack of DLC is a bit irritating).

Wii Sports: Tennis and Bowling kept me occupied for literally 2 months. I didn't even buy a game until 2 months after I got my system! I love Tiger Woods 07, and Twilight Princess is damn fine as well. I don't buy a whole lot of games, so the few titles that are out are well enough to keep me occupied given the Revolutionary (::cough::) control system.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

I bought a wii as soon as it came out. To this day I haven't bought a single wii game for it, but I've bought nearly every virtual console game that's come out, and I still play it. I'm thinking of buying some real wii games now that the good ones start coming out (Never had time for LoZ:TP. Was too busy with OoT).

Also, microsoft is a distant second. I might buy a 360 for Mass Effect and some other cool games for it. Then again, I might not. I play it at various friends' places from time to time.

What about the DS? Best handheld ever or best handheld ever? The sales for it (and the GBA) is just crazy!
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:42 pm UTC

Definitely the Wii. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is by far one of the most excellent games I've ever played, and I just cannot wait for Brawl. Come to think of it, I should probably pick up Super Mario Galaxy, I've heard good things about it. Of course, I also own an N64, upon which I have logged many happy hours of gaming. My first real console was a Sega Genesis, though. Good for Nintendo for including classic Genesis games in the Virtual Console library.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:39 am UTC

Ideologically Nintendo beats all.
You can tell through their products that the avowed purpose, is in fact that people enjoy the product.
I've never seen anything from Sony or Microsoft which made me stop and think,
"You know, they really have considered what people will enjoy..."
As far as I can tell they just cater to what people ask for (which is an entierly different animal) and tack on "Impressive" stats.

Still, that's just me.

I find it hard to believe that the Achievement points on the 360 were catered towards anything but profit however.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

SimonM

Postby SimonM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Gah, how can Sony even be allowed to market products aimed at children... Just look at there track record for installing 'junk' on your system
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

No more votes for Nintendo! It's clearly winning, even if the others get more votes.

On topic: I definitely predict Sony is done with consoles... and I hope to God my prediction comes true. Microsoft seems to be doing most things right, even if it did take them a little while on a certain hardware problem... They seem to have learned though, and I'd be happy to see healthy competition between MS and N with Sony gone.
31/M/taken/US

SimonM

Postby SimonM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:No more votes for Nintendo! It's clearly winning, even if the others get more votes.

On topic: I definitely predict Sony is done with consoles... and I hope to God my prediction comes true. Microsoft seems to be doing most things right, even if it did take them a little while on a certain hardware problem... They seem to have learned though, and I'd be happy to see healthy competition between MS and N with Sony gone.

Healthy competition... Microsoft? The chances are they'll be sued soon for including the Xbox with windows
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

constant plotting

Postby constant plotting » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

I just have one thing to say....

"disc read error"

im done with consoles. besides my pc makes pretty much every console out look like a sick joke concocted by 2nd graders at recess.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

constant plotting wrote:I just have one thing to say....

"disc read error"

im done with consoles. besides my pc makes pretty much every console out look like a sick joke concocted by 2nd graders at recess.

There is currently no good public implimination of the Wiimote for any computer.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

I've liked Sony up until the PS3. I honestly think they went over the edge with it. The price is ridiculous for a game system. However, I think they'll learn their lesson from the PS3 for their next gen console. As for the Wii and the 360, I don't own either, but I have seriously considered both.

Oh, and system requirements are on the same level as disc read error, so that evens PCs and consoles out there.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

constant plotting

Postby constant plotting » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

good point on the remote. i almost suspect implementation of old dusty "duck hunt" technology. :) simple minds, simple pleasures. i confess the entertainment value of said remote. i wouldnt say that "disc read error" puts it on par with pc requirements. disc read error means, hey fuck you, im dead man. pc requirements usually mean, oh you have 4gb or ram? awesome. making it an option to be able to play, as opposed to not being able to play at all. besides, that whole blu-ray thing is getting old, numerous studios have decided to go with the hd-dvd format over blu-ray. <!~ is glad he didnt buy a blu-ray burner yet.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

constant plotting wrote:good point on the remote. i almost suspect implementation of old dusty "duck hunt" technology. :) simple minds, simple pleasures. i confess the entertainment value of said remote. i wouldnt say that "disc read error" puts it on par with pc requirements. disc read error means, hey fuck you, im dead man. pc requirements usually mean, oh you have 4gb or ram? awesome. making it an option to be able to play, as opposed to not being able to play at all. besides, that whole blu-ray thing is getting old, numerous studios have decided to go with the hd-dvd format over blu-ray. <!~ is glad he didnt buy a blu-ray burner yet.

Huh? Have you used the Wiimote before, with a game that makes good use of it?

I've never gotten a "disk read error". I used to have a lot of problems with cartridges, but that's a fairly obsolete argument against consoles.

And I have had unreadable disks for computers before.

I don't know what you're going on about with the hd-dvd and blue-ray, as the Wii doesn't use either.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

I've gotten some disc read errors before, but most of them were on my first PS1 which was bought when it first came out, and it was years later. I have yet to get one on the PS2.

Also, the system requirements are the same level. If you don't meet the minimum requirements the game says "hey, fuck you, upgrade". Not my fault if I don't have the cash to upgrade to the latest and greatest constantly.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

constant plotting

Postby constant plotting » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

the whole large capacity disc sony argument. ive only played resident evil on wii. its great. what i meant about the upgrade thing, if one is intelligent with socket decision when building, you shouldnt have issues with having to upgrade. i rocked and rolled on an older 939 socket fx processor (i found really really cheap on new egg) before i found a bargain dual core extreme proc. i dont know if i just have bad luck, or alot of dust in my apartment, but ive had three ps2 console give me the disc read error. my 360 did it, and i threw in the towel. not that i dont find the games enjoyable, im just discouraged about how much money ive given sony when they die. and micro$haft also for that matter.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:42 pm UTC

Firstly, this is for console wars, not computer wars. That's for later.

Secondly, I might be minimodding, but Plotting, you need to post in the Intro thread before posting anything else.

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

I'm surprised Sony is doing so poorly. I think I'm just much more interested in the technology and the guts than the actual games. When it comes to games, I'm like a reformed crack addict, so I try to keep my play limited.

The ps3 now has a free, legit and powerful dev kit for it, with full access to the graphics hardware in full HD resolution (previously that was disabled for developers). This is totally cool to me because it has such revolutionary hardware. I want one, but I wouldn't even buy any games for it!

The 360 has nothing particularly revolutionary, and the Wii has a neat controller, but the guts might as well be your pocket calculator.

I'm just always biased towards what's technologically cutting-edge and risky. Sony is the only one to have truly done this. Just all of you wait a few years, and give the developers some time to get the most out of the system. True, that graphics don't make the game, but they can certainly help things along!

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:28 am UTC

zenten wrote:
constant plotting wrote:good point on the remote. i almost suspect implementation of old dusty "duck hunt" technology. :) simple minds, simple pleasures. i confess the entertainment value of said remote. i wouldnt say that "disc read error" puts it on par with pc requirements. disc read error means, hey fuck you, im dead man. pc requirements usually mean, oh you have 4gb or ram? awesome. making it an option to be able to play, as opposed to not being able to play at all. besides, that whole blu-ray thing is getting old, numerous studios have decided to go with the hd-dvd format over blu-ray. <!~ is glad he didnt buy a blu-ray burner yet.

Huh? Have you used the Wiimote before, with a game that makes good use of it?

Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.

That alone wins pretty much any argument, it doesn't even have to be an argument about games, it's just like,
"Dude! Did you eat my Cheerios?!"
"Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition."
"God-DAMMIT."

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:18 am UTC

Ignoring Resident Evil's tautological nature for a moment, the Wii wins by having the most innocent double-entendre built into its name.

XBOX-360 = Shows porn 360 days out of the year.

Playstation 3 = Sex-shop that caters to swingers.

Wii = Wee-Wee.

It loses points by being the least effective in "your mom" jokes, of which Playstation is the clear winner.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:20 am UTC

zenten wrote:Your forgetting the virtual console.

The Wii wins right there on the quality library front with that alone.

Xbox Live Arcade? Ever heard of that? I see Sonic 1 and 2 on here, Ecco the Dolphin, Super Contra, Street Fighter II HF, and a large number of other older games. (Though I'll stick with GameTap, it's a better deal :P)

I find the argument of great games on the Wii lacking. So you have Legend of Zelda? Isn't that the exact same game Nintendo has been selling you since the Nintendo 64? Super Mario Galaxy? Same argument stands. I'm not going to deny the same can be applied to every other console, but I'm going to make a point of it nonetheless. But maybe I can't side with Nintendo because I blame them for the ESRB, and the great stupidity of people that followed from it. (Honestly, I feel the first target from Assassin's Creed does things worse than the "brutal" executions found in Manhunt 2)

Anyway, my vote goes towards the 360 as being the best, but mainly because it means more PC games for those whiny Windows users. And my second vote goes to Sony for using OpenGL, and the other libraries by the Khronos group, perhaps it will help increase the adoption of those APIs on the PC, thereby giving all those whiny Linux and Mac users more games too.

But maybe my views are just horribly skewed and biased beyond all repair because I have a computer capable of playing computer games at a reasonable frame rate :P (Those console games like to lag like mad in some places, Manhunt 2 on the Wii was twitching looking at a wall (then again, I wouldn't call Rockstar friends of optimization...), and Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the 360 begins going nuts when fire is on the screen at any resolution over 640x480). This is why more people should use the Unreal Engine, and not modify it, that only makes it worse.
Last edited by Amnesiasoft on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Right, because MC is such a font of ingenuity, with, what was its biggest game? Halo 3? Is that actually a different game?
The biggest games for any console are always going to be franchises, it's the others you look to for ingenuity, which you looked at for Assasin's Creed, but conveniently ignored for the Wii.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:Right, because MC is such a font of ingenuity, with, what was its biggest game? Halo 3? Is that actually a different game?
The biggest games for any console are always going to be franchises, it's the others you look to for ingenuity, which you looked at for Assasin's Creed, but conveniently ignored for the Wii.

Obviously you've never been to the Halo 3 thread in the Gaming section, I dislike that game, a lot. Not only is it the same game being sold to you 3 times in a row, it's the same game you've been sold in every other mediocre FPS game out there. And Assassin's Creed was not referenced in relation to anything creative, that was in my short tangent about how messed up the ESRB is (And back on this tangent, here is a video of the first assassination, I'd say it's a bit worse than anything I saw from Manhunt 2, don't click if you don't want spoilers :P). You might also note I said the same could be applied to pretty much every system.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:03 am UTC

I guess it's just how I read it.

Tuke

Postby Tuke » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Is it wrong that the only reason I won't check off Sony is because I hate them for making crappy hardware that feels like it's going to break it if I breathe on it? Or should I hate them because all they do is re-brand the same game machine each cycle by putting in some new guts and putting a new number on the side? There's other reasons too, I'm sure. I can't stand the DuelShock controllers (WHY is the analogue stick way the hell down there! It should be where the D-Pad is!!). And the Six-Axis just plain doesn't work in the games I've played it in (Motorstorm and that dragon name that I can't remember the name of).

Some people might call the second reason I don't like Sony moot because Nintendo basically did the same thing with it's first 3 consoles as well in North America (Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo64). And how many GameBoys have there been?

But anyway. I'm going with Nintendo, all the way. I've grown up with Nintendo, and I've usually liked the games on Nintendo systems the most. I'm a total Metroid fanboy, and proud of it (My mobile is is slathered in 'Troid. Inside and soon to be out). That isn't to say I don't like games on the PlayStations. I got a PS2 (In bit of a drunken haze, though.)

I also checked Microsoft, because I liked the Xbox, and also got a 360. I think they've done alot for the industry (Where networking is concerned, mostly), and Halo is fun. And Steal Battalion is simply amazing.

But Nintendo will always be my #1. I love my NES, SNES, 64, GCN, Wii, my plethora of GameBoys, my DS, and I wish I could find a VirtualBoy.
I have a secret to share with you.
Spoiler:
I'm not a moose.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and counter every "Oh me yarm Oh WII GRAPHIX SUX" argument you're all making with this little important thought. (Spoiler'd for emphasis)

Spoiler:
Graphics do not make a good game. Gameplay and playability do.

Therefore, since the Wii has the best playability and some of the better games, Wii>all.

Zake

Postby Zake » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo has rocked out consistently since I was a child, and the PS2 was one of the best consoles ever.

But, on a more important note, Nintendo and Sony win because they do interesting things. Microsoft has a whole slew of huge-ass franchises chock full of best-hit games, but I still can't get too enthusiastic about the umpteenth sci-fi FPS or the new iteration of a game I played years ago. Who had Katamari Damacy? Who based their next-gen console controller around a technology that had never been used in games before? Yeah, thats who, and don't you dang well forget it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

I accept that nintendo does crazy things all the time, but I don't know why you would say Sony does 'interesting things'.

You can hardly attribute Katamari to Sony, when it is in fact a Namco game (from LAST generation no less), and especially not while Microsoft has plenty of games for their console that are equally 'interesting', you won't find Geometry Wars on a Play Station, nor Dead Rising.

And only ONE console has cross platform multiplayer, and it's NOT the paystation3.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the XBox360 either, and the Playstation Two had the makings of the greatest console ever (except for it's tiny damn controller and only two controller ports, things that should have been on the top of Sony's fix list for the PS2 over the PS1.)
But the Playstation Three is not a great console, and it's games are neither new nor interesting. WHat 'good' games does it have so far?
Resistance (Sci-fi FPS anyone?)
God of War 2 (Game we played years ago anybody?)
maybe Heavenly Sword (game we played years ago desperately trying not to be.)

and that's about it, since PS2, Sony has been all about their franchises, and they don't even have any of their good franchise games out yet because their console is such a pain to develop for that they're all either still in development or they've moved over to other systems.

Of your going to commend a developer for doing new and interesting things, YES commend Nintendo, they've managed to consistently do things that no other developer could or would, but putting Sony in the same category as that is like putting two rice rockets in a race against a Bugatti Veyron, just because one is prettier than the other doesn't mean either of them belong on the same track as the Veyron.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

I don't keep track of what company makes what console. Only the consoles.
Can someone give me a quit text chart of who makes what?

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:I don't keep track of what company makes what console. Only the consoles.
Can someone give me a quit text chart of who makes what?

o.O

And again for emphasis, o.O

How do you avoid keeping track of who makes consoles? Or for that matter how can you not have just memorized it off-hand?

Nintendo made the NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Wii.
Microsoft made the Xbox, and Xbox 360.
Sony made the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PlayStation3.

Return to “Religious Wars”