Exalted vs D&D

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

zenten

Exalted vs D&D

Postby zenten » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

D&D is just a tired old Tolkien ripoff with a lame ass dull system. And by default you start out as some wimpy first level character.

Exalted is where it's at. It's got an original setting, a game system designed to take it up to 11, and by default you're playing a demigod who's set to retake his rightful place in Creation.

silverwmoon

Re: Exalted vs D&D

Postby silverwmoon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Skip the low levels and miss out on all the hilarity that springs from under-equiped charaters with mad players driving them? What? lol I would strongly disagree that a Tolkien influence is a bad thing or that DnD is "Lame ass". I must admit I've not played Exalted (though I've read it's premise) to I can't compare the two but I can protest your lack of appreciation for DnD. Certainly there's much amusement to be gained from trying to struggle through a camp of 500 orcs as a group of low levels. (frankly, just lighting the whole thing on fire is my fav. plan of action but anyhow....) I suppose it depends on your tastes, but don't diss DnD simply because you enjoy the more powerful characters and strong political turmoil that seems to be Exalted. Some of us don't want to rule the world, just play with it :P

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Well, you can play heroic mortals too. Those are just sort of like D&D characters between 3-7. Who can Stunt.

Stunting kicks ass. You thought those hero points or whatever they're called are good? Stunting beats them. They don't cost happy magic points, they *give* happy magic points, while letting you do stuff like fight on a heard of horses or surf down an erupting volcano on your shield while writing a poem about how awesome you are without penalty.

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Stunting kicks ass. You thought those hero points or whatever they're called are good? Stunting beats them. They don't cost happy magic points, they *give* happy magic points, while letting you do stuff like fight on a heard of horses or surf down an erupting volcano on your shield while writing a poem about how awesome you are without penalty.

Hero points? Happy Magic points? What are you talking about? What edition do you play? >->

Are you talking about Skill points? And why would you want to surf downa Volcano when you can try to run up a wall and do a back-flip over your opponent? 'Cause at least then it's awesome if you made the check and hilarious for everyone else if you fail horribly.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

silverwmoon wrote:
zenten wrote:Stunting kicks ass. You thought those hero points or whatever they're called are good? Stunting beats them. They don't cost happy magic points, they *give* happy magic points, while letting you do stuff like fight on a heard of horses or surf down an erupting volcano on your shield while writing a poem about how awesome you are without penalty.

Hero points? Happy Magic points? What are you talking about? What edition do you play? >->

Sorry, generic terms. You get Essence (or Willpower depending) back from a successful stunt.

silverwmoon wrote:[Are you talking about Skill points? And why would you want to surf downa Volcano when you can try to run up a wall and do a back-flip over your opponent? 'Cause at least then it's awesome if you made the check and hilarious for everyone else if you fail horribly.

Running up a wall and doing a back-flip over an opponent is just a dodge stunt in exalted.

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Edition 3 most DMs would put it under a Tumble check, perhaps with a DC of 20 or 25, depending. And I don't understand the "get it back". It's not like you expend points or Willpower to check something. It's simply a numeric value for how good your character is. You roll (chance) and add your Willpower (or amount of skill in tumbling) and then see if that combined beats the challenge rating...

Have you played DnD recently? ._.

zenten

Postby zenten » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

silverwmoon wrote:Edition 3 most DMs would put it under a Tumble check, perhaps with a DC of 20 or 25, depending. And I don't understand the "get it back". It's not like you expend points or Willpower to check something. It's simply a numeric value for how good your character is. You roll (chance) and add your Willpower (or amount of skill in tumbling) and then see if that combined beats the challenge rating...

Have you played DnD recently? ._.

Yes, I have. The fact that you have to roll (and have the chance of failure) to do something that is just meant to add cool to the game and no advantage to your character outside of that is something that irks me. You want to tumble because it makes a better description, you tumble. And then under Exalted you're rewarded for the description with a bit of a bonus.

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:32 am UTC

I suppose I simply don't take myself as seriously; it doesn't irk me at all. I find it much more amusing to fail while trying to look or add "cool" than to have it handed to you. Much better to watch a party member try to kick a door door and fail their strenght check than have it just given.

Also, it's not about the actual description, make the description as cool as you want. However, if your description includes something your character wouldn't be able to do normally, like do a back flip while jumping, it makes sense you'd have to check to make sure you can do that. It's not about being all-powerful and totally awesome, it's about doing awesome things while being weak or being able to fail. Sometimes it's about laughing at eachother when you try something and DO fail.

P.S. Tumbling has a funtion within the game, it's a skill you can use to doge an oppenent or move a greater distance witout penalty than you would normally be allowed. It's not just a "looking cool" thing.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:52 am UTC

A perfect example of the whole failing is fun (and a good excuse to stay up a bit longer) is the DnD game I just started in. We are all first level, and most of us have never played before. We enter a dungeon and find a dark mantle, which is peacefully pretending to be a stalactite. We don't assume that it is evil, and I go and examine it closer. It proceeds to chomp on my head and I end up losing almost half my HP before I manage to rip it off of my head. Then there are four of us trying to hit it with bows while it flits around and is annoying. It takes forever, but we manage to kill it.

We then start walking down the tunnel to go deeper into the dungeon. The two leading players almost immediately fall into a pit that is covered by a trap door. After climbing out (and failing the climb more than once) we then need to try to squeeze by the hole (the two people who fell in climbed up to the close side and had to make the crossing as well). The same person falls in again. By this time he is also at around half health. The next bit is fairly standard RPG fare so I'll skip it. On the way out the same guy falls into the pit and is knocked unconscious. I climb into the pit to stabalize (and guard) him and the other two run back to town for rope. By the end of it, we hated that pit more than the main boss, who had invisibility potions and could summon stuff at us.

Sordorel

Postby Sordorel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Actually multiple versions of dnd do have expandable points, named action points. (eberron and d20 modern mostly.) and indeed they are not nearly as awesome as the ones in exalted. Which is I suppose the whole point, dnd often is a challenge, much like a puzzle. How do I get my lvl 1 character who is hardly capable of whipping his own ass to survive this dungeon?
On the other hand a well build exalted character could easily wipe out an entire army, and that’s without any xp. Its what you like, dnd begins down to earth and breaks down on the epic end of the bar. Exalted starts epic and will only get more over the top. I to switch every now and then, but still haven managed to get my rather fluxuating group to play exalted, even tough they say they prefer the higher levels of dnd.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:46 am UTC

I personally don't use either of these systems. I play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Dark Heresy, and Call of Cthulhu.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

I've gotta say, I like them both. Tied for my favorites, honestly, though they are pretty different.

The thing I've noticed, really, is that failure in Exalted (while rarer, given the mechanics involved) has to be similarly over-the-top or the game *will* seem a bit plastic. Playing around with the power of Creation IS tricky business after all, and spectacular success may be more common for a demigod... but if you mess up, people should KNOW. Like, people in the next country over.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

The answer is Wushu. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 am UTC

I think games like Exhalted are more rewarding in the long run, and a bit more malleable too.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:55 am UTC

Since this is religious wars, I'd like to point out that in the end, it's all just a bunch of fat geeks in their parents basements playing with dice.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Vin Diesel plays DnD. Are you calling Vin Diesel a fat geek in his parents basement?

Meanwhile, Exhalted is played only by people who are good at nothing in real life, so they must get together to imagine that their characters looked cool doing something. In their parents basement.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

I'm fairly close to being offended here...

Roleplaying stereotypes for the win? Because personally, I am not fat, not male, and do not live with my parents, and do not know anyone that has a basement. I enjoy playing both, I just enjoy Exhalted more.

Expand your minds, dudes.

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

wing wrote:Since this is religious wars, I'd like to point out that in the end, it's all just a bunch of fat geeks in their parents basements playing with dice.

Religious Wars != OK to insult everybody. How about we just pretend the last few posts never happened and go back to discussing the games themselves, k?
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:Religious Wars != OK to insult everybody. How about we just pretend the last few posts never happened and go back to discussing the games themselves, k?

Would that Hammer had mod authority in real life, as opposed to merely on the forums...
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

Return to “Religious Wars”