Halo vs Star Wars

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

hotaru

Re: Halo vs Star Wars

Postby hotaru » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

Lime wrote:Then why don't they just dodge Blaster Bolts, which move much slower?

most of the time, they can avoid blaster bolts without even looking like they're dodging them. but when there are hundreds or thousands of blaster bolts flying around, it's a lot easier to just swing your arm up than to jump out of the way.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

Lime wrote:Not "steam", but vaporised lead. Steam was the best descriptor I could come up with. And what's casing the loss in velocity? The kinetic energy of the bullets would be unchanged, unless I've got my physics wrong. Although you do raise a good point about the whole plasma thing. However, I don't know if merely being heated would be enough to turn the bullets into plasma.

Because now you have a diffuse cloud of gas moving against stationary air. When the kinetic energy of a bullet is spread out, it doesn't do much damage.
Lime wrote:Then why don't they just dodge Blaster Bolts, which move much slower?

Do they actually move slower? According to wookiepedia, standard blasters use a stream of high-energy particles, which effectively means near light-speed velocities. In those cases, all a Jedi gets to work with is their precognition (which presumably violates relativity, unless they're doing mind reading)
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Lime

Postby Lime » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:55 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Because now you have a diffuse cloud of gas moving against stationary air. When the kinetic energy of a bullet is spread out, it doesn't do much damage.
Right, but the damage here is not from kinetic energy, it's from thermal. Vaporized lead would be very harmful, and I'm saying that there'd be at least enough kinetic energy to burn the Jedi.
Do they actually move slower? According to wookiepedia, standard blasters use a stream of high-energy particles, which effectively means near light-speed velocities. In those cases, all a Jedi gets to work with is their precognition (which presumably violates relativity, unless they're doing mind reading)

See, that's what that site says, but in all my experiences watching the movies, and in particular, playing the games, they don't seem to move that fast.

Stormhawk

Postby Stormhawk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Lime wrote:
Also, the Elite fleet is still definitely large enough to face off against the Empire. Considering the Covanent seem to be on the same scale as them, they seem to have similar numbers. Add that an Elite commando would probably be a match for a Jedi, I think the Elites alone could probably take the Star Wars universe.

At the beginning of Spectre of the Past, it is stated that the Imperial Starfleet at its peak numbered 25,000 Star Destroyers. And those are just the capital ships. Over 3 million smaller vessels. Seeing as Regret's fleet that attacked Earth numbered only 50 capital ships, I don't see how you can come to this conclusion.

Headshrinker

Postby Headshrinker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Then why don't they just dodge Blaster Bolts, which move much slower?

avoiding a shot would be nice, but its better to hit the other guy, so deflecting is better than dodging

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Stormhawk wrote:
Lime wrote:
Also, the Elite fleet is still definitely large enough to face off against the Empire. Considering the Covanent seem to be on the same scale as them, they seem to have similar numbers. Add that an Elite commando would probably be a match for a Jedi, I think the Elites alone could probably take the Star Wars universe.

At the beginning of Spectre of the Past, it is stated that the Imperial Starfleet at its peak numbered 25,000 Star Destroyers. And those are just the capital ships. Over 3 million smaller vessels. Seeing as Regret's fleet that attacked Earth numbered only 50 capital ships, I don't see how you can come to this conclusion.

Yes, Regret's fleet. There are still numerous fleets spread all over Covanent space that aren't being dedicated to the war because they aren't needed, simply because Covenent Ship Tech vastly outclasses the UNSCs
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Lime

Postby Lime » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Babam wrote:
Stormhawk wrote:
Lime wrote:

Yes, Regret's fleet. There are still numerous fleets spread all over Covanent space that aren't being dedicated to the war because they aren't needed, simply because Covenent Ship Tech vastly outclasses the UNSCs

This is true. Another Prophet, Truth was massing a secret fleet to attack Earth with in a conspiracy to consolidate his power, eliminate the other Prophets and remove the Elites, and it numbered at about 500. However, his fleet was destroyed by the Master Chief, and Regret happened upon the location of Earth, thinking it to be uninhabited but anything but Forerunner Tech. Considering the fact that he had another fleet of this size ready within about a week, at least soon enough to attack Earth directly after Regret did, it seems to me that the number of ships at their disposal is not limited by resources, but rather their air of superiority. Truth likely believed that 500 ships would be more than enough to crush Earth's defences, which would've been true had his scheme gone according to plan and he eliminated the Elites. If you consider the size of the Covanent Empire, it seems likely that they have a similar population to the Galactic Empire. And seeing as how the Covanent base their society on warfare, they likely have a proportionally larger military. And seeing as how the Empire was felled by a group of Rebels, the Covanent likely outclass them as well.

CinnamonOne

Postby CinnamonOne » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Actually, think about it.

How large really is the Covenant?

If one says that the Covenant was toying with the humans, I would disagree. Seriously, Truth's power was entirely reliant on hiding the Truth about the humans and Forerunners (whether you think they are related, or related figuratively, is up to you). He would quite desperate for the entire annihilation of the human race. So why not make it quick, and take the entire Covenant Navy to the fray?

There are some explanations. Before the split, much of the Navy may have been diverted to examining and protecting Forerunner artifacts (seeing how 'crude' and 'savage' the humans are). Considering that Alpha Halo was the first Halo discovered, and Delta Halo the second, this would mean that the Covenant is probably not galaxy-spanning (seriously, giant Forerunner artifacts elude Covenant 'artifact scans'?), most likely not even close to that.

After the split , there would be the Flood and the Elites against the Covenant empire, so it would be preoccupied and unable to bear its full might against the UNSC. Well, there's a lot of time before that, and where did the Covenant go during all that time?

Also, think about the number of ships that would be lost during the split. It is unlikely that by the time of Truth's genocide of the Elites, the Brutes would taken the extreme majority of the Covenant fleets (more than 80%). The Elites would definitely smart enough to notice the ploy were it to go that far. Even if the Brutes did not have numerical superiority, thinking of how devastating Covenant weapons are against Covenant ships, it would not be surprising that the first volley against unsuspecting, possibly unshielded Elite vessels, would be able to wipe out huge portions of the Elite forces.

Also notice that Truth spent a while to reform a fleet of 500 ships, which means some supply strain, which implies they are busy somehow. Also, even after the fleet is decimated to a dozen or so ships, Truth does not ask for any reinforcements (although that may be because of the presence of the Forerunner Dreadnought). And considering a fleet of ten Elite ships designated as the Fleet of Retribution were outnumbered only three to one. That isn't a lot (ahem...300 ships at Reach, 500 in each of two fleets to purge Earth...). If that's the best they can do (which it isn't), it would be very...disappointing to say the least.

It is also likely most supercarriers have been destroyed or otherwise incapacitated by this time, as they would be a chrome finish for the death of Earth.

Oh, and by the way, High Charity's only one third the size of the third Death Star, and only twice the size of the first, which sort of shows that the Covenant may not be as powerful as one may expect (seriously, the Death Star in ROTJ was only around four years old. Seeing that as the crowning Jewel of the Covenant, it is unlikely larger Covenant battlestations existed.

CinnamonOne

Postby CinnamonOne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:25 am UTC

Remember how surprise affected Order 66.

Headshrinker

Postby Headshrinker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

And seeing as how the Empire was felled by a group of Rebels

The empire fell when it was no longer controlled by the emperor.
And the rebles wern't a small riot armed with makeshift weapons they had their own ships and fighters. In ROTJ the rebel forces were not hopelessly overwhelmed by the Imperial response until the deathstar began fighting.

CinnamonOne

Postby CinnamonOne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 am UTC

The Death Star was a trap.

It was Palpatine who made it fail. He was too arrogant. If the ISDs actually fired at its maximum capacity, then the Mon Cal ships would floating space hulk.

Burned. Melted. Twisted. Vaporized.

CinnamonOne

Postby CinnamonOne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

I also posted this on a STvsSW thread.

http://stardestroyer.net/tlc/Power/index.html

A single medium sized turbolaser bolt could be four times the power of a Hiroshima

IEatYourChips
Location: Neither here nor there, far from nowhere, but quite close to somewhere. (I think)

Postby IEatYourChips » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:23 am UTC

As BlackSails said:
Evacuate to the ark, fire the halos.

I have two words for you: Star Forge. I don't exactly understand the ideas behind the Ark and the Halos, but as near as I can figure, the Halos are a super-powerful weapons of mass-destruction, and the Ark is some sort of "safehouse." However, the Rakata have the Star Forge, and therefore could create Arks themselves, or Halos, or anything else they can imagine.

As Ianto said:
the spartans can use any weapon so could potential use a lightsaber if learned how to do so. (addition) and if someone got to the sw galaxy and stole some cortosis and put some crystals into the vally of the jedi we could then infuse the sparten with lightsaber resistant armor and the force

There are multiple problems with your reasoning. 1) Lightsabres are "frozen lazers", which can only be acheived via force powers, which would require force-sensitive Spartans (as far as I know, they don't exist). 2) It is, in a universe that follows the laws of physics, nearly impossible to create "lightsabre proof armor", because surface hard enough to resist a lightsabre would be too heavy to use anywhere, since it would create it's own gravitational field. 3) According to Star Wars canon, the Force permeates every conceivable bit of matter. Therefore, it is impossible to create Force resistant armor. 4) Although it is possible to forcibly create Force sensitivity, a) the Halo Universe would have to discover midi-chlorians, b) figure out how to artificially create "Force sensitivity", c) train the people who are force sensitive to use their power, and d) ensure that the Flood don't infect any of these "Jedi-Spartans." By the time that all of the aforementioned steps have been completed, the Suncrusher would have caused most of the stars in the Halo galaxy to go supernova. Or the Yuuzhan Vong could always make a super black-hole...

CinnamonOne

Postby CinnamonOne » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Didn't think of the Star Forge. I also think though that the empire would be well capable of creating halos of their own, even without ancient super tech. If only they stopped going to the Stormtrooper Marksman Academy.

As for Lightsabers, it isn't clear as to whether they are plasmas or lasers or another form of energy. In any case, the elite energy sword would be no match for it, lacking the deflection abilities, having a slow battery life, being more cumbersome than a doublesaber, and not being able to take on a Spartan with an overshield in one hit. I would think that a gravity hammer brute would have a better chance, even though it is the less elegant weapon.

I would have to state though that lightsaber deflection in halo would be difficult barring the beam rifle, focus rifle, and spartan laser.

However, it is not impossible for a non force user to use one. They just have a tendency to kill themselves.

Also, does a Dyson sphere protect against the halo activation? I can't remember.

Return to “Religious Wars”