IE
2%
Safari
2%

Total votes: 830

TheChewanater

Re: Opera, Chrome, Firefox, OR?

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

Then you should be using wget, of course.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

wget is a huge drain on battery; you have to have a terminal and an OS loaded every time you run it. Better to use pigeons carrying individual packets.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

In which OSI layers the pigeons work? Does it comply with BSD socket?
I wish I weren't so stupid

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

I think they send IPv4 packets in binary by tweeting (no pun intended).
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

jendral_hxr wrote:In which OSI layers the pigeons work? Does it comply with BSD socket?

I feel like I am responding to a troll, but pigeons would be the Physical Layer of the OSI network model

headprogrammingczar is also incorrect: RFC 1149 requires the sent packets to be printed and the received packets to be scanned. Both require power.

RFC 1149 has not been widely adopted because the latency is too high for TCP (which times out after about 2 minutes). A more recent use of carrier pigeons took advantage of technology advances since 1990 and loaded a single 4GB file into a flash drive. I don't think they used the IP protocol in that case.
Did you get the number on that truck?

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

Oopss, I am mistaken. I thought it was *real* pigeon--instead of DGRAM :o
// pun intended

# troll me

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Sun May 02, 2010 8:32 am UTC

They were real pigeons...
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 am UTC

The one with pair of wing?

By the way, as my email provider encourage me to use Opera browser (it's acquisited by Opera in Australia recently)--now I have Opera on my box. Pretty nice I think.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am UTC

Yes, but RFC 1149 was an April Fools' gag.

That did not stop a test implementation by the Bergen Linux User Group.

Edit: the modern variant I mentioned with a flash drive used a real pigeon as well. With the capacity of flash drives, I wonder if pigeons can compete with bike couriers for moving important information. Pigeons can now be considered a "high bandwidth, high latency" medium instead of just a "low bandwidth, high latency" medium.

Edit: consider this: At 4GB a pop, I can reach my ISP's 70GB monthly bandwidth cap in only 18 flights. Of course, every evening/morning the birds have to be transported back to their point of origin. This implies they should be used for urgent messages that can't just be carried across the city on a DVD+R disk. However, the message should not be so urgent that it needs to arrive in less than an hour.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:Edit: consider this: At 4GB a pop, I can reach my ISP's 70GB monthly bandwidth cap in only 18 flights.

http://eagleintelligence.com/tag/carrier-pigeon/ says pigeons are usually trained to carry 2.5oz (about 71g) packages. at 0.5g per card, a pigeon could carry 142 32GB microsd cards, which would allow you to transfer about 4.5TB per flight.
the only problem is that those 142 32GB microsd cards would cost about $28,400 plus tax...

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 am UTC

MicroSD cards are not suitable for data transfer because they implement CPRM.

Apparently 256GB Flash drives are available though. My similar post in the "MicroSD" Discussion.

DRM aside, managing more than one or two cards per bird is likely to be error-prone.

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am UTC

I will supply the (untrained) pigeons. Here it cost around US$ 2.5 each.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon May 03, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Let's not forget the time it will take to write your four TiB to the cards.
ImageImage

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

That works out to about 22.2 hours at a constant rate of 50MB/s. I figure you can use 16GB Flash drives before the limits of the USB 2.0 bus are too much of a pain (334 seconds assuming 48MB/s; round up to 6 minutes). This implies that two independent USB ports (4 if your delete after copying) can saturate a Gigabit network connection at 20 birds an hour.

Already posted in another thread: Initial Cost estimates:
About 1 cent 10 cents per GB.km; cost increments by whole Gigabytes, minimum charge 10 cents distance 10km.
Break-even with Bell rate would occur at 75km (~45 miles).
Moving 100 GB down the Edmonton-Calgary corridor would cost ~$3000.
Parcel rates would be costed on a per flight.km basis (So you can save using your own USB key).

bonzoWhale

Postby bonzoWhale » Sun May 16, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

This little link can change your life:
http://www.opera.com/browser/tips/

Seriously, Opera is supposed to be the fastest browser, but even if it wasn't I guarantee it makes you the fastest user. I'm so used to it I'm always trying mouse gestures in Windows Media Player xD

And yes, Firefox has plugins to do most of that, but not only does Opera have everything built-in (thus working perfectly), with Opera Sync you can have your browser customized out of the box: just log on to Sync and voilá, it's your browser. It's so practical it's boring :P

...and don't even get me started on Opera Unite! :mrgreen:

shinigami

Postby shinigami » Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Just moved from FF to Chrome a little while ago.. FF doesn't like working with the uni proxy server as much as Chrome, and switching between home and uni takes no effort at all.

handiangel

Postby handiangel » Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

I use Chrome on my Mac and Firefox at work on the shitty XP machine that I got lumped with.

Chrome works very nicely. I love the aesthetics, blends in really nicely on my mac. And is very quick to start up, and load pages.And the address/search bar is awesome. Apart from it searches google.com rather than google.co.uk...

Even though it crashes relatively often, its isolation feature works very well, so it doesn't seem as bad. I haven't tried any of the extensions/add-ons.

Thankfully I could install Firefox at work otherwise I'd be using IE *shudder*, but my main issue with Firefox is the typing lag. Very frustrating when typing even just a short sentence. But overall infinitely better than IE.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Wed May 19, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

handiangel wrote:And the address/search bar is awesome. Apart from it searches google.com rather than google.co.uk...

check out where it says "Default search" in the "Basics" tab of the options dialog... you can make google.co.uk (or any other search engine) the default.

this just reminded me of something about chrome:
TheChewanater wrote:I'm also pretty sure my Chrome is an older version, unless it updated itself in the last few months.

the fact that chrome updates automatically is nice... except for one thing: when i have the browser running for a month or two at a time, it doesn't get updated very often. i never had this problem with firefox... i always had to restart it every few days because i'd run out of memory otherwise.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

handiangel

Postby handiangel » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:
handiangel wrote:And the address/search bar is awesome. Apart from it searches google.com rather than google.co.uk...

check out where it says "Default search" in the "Basics" tab of the options dialog... you can make google.co.uk (or any other search engine) the default.

Thanks! Now I've changed it, I'll probably not need the 'regionality' of it :roll:

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu May 20, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

I use seamonkey, but I really liked it better before 2.0. I mean, I still prefer the interface over firefox, but since ever since 2.0 it consumes about as much memory as firefox.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

cerbie

I am Anti-Opera Man! I have the superpower of bored ranting!

Postby cerbie » Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 am UTC

bonzoWhale wrote:This little link can change your life:
http://www.opera.com/browser/tips/

Seriously, Opera is supposed to be the fastest browser, but even if it wasn't I guarantee it makes you the fastest user.
No, that would be Chrome.
I'm so used to it I'm always trying mouse gestures in Windows Media Player xD
It's annoying the first time, when I go to click something, and get asked about mouse gestures. Then I turn the things off, because they are one of the worst UI inventions ever made.

Oh, and in the latest version, they finally got an in-page find that works about as well as Firebird's did. Does it really take that long to code it in?

AFAICT, they also still don't have anything that can touch ABP. Opera's content blocking does not easily allow blocking of all content beyond the main URL's source code, where ABP does. FF and Chrome win by miles for this alone, IMO.

And yes, Firefox has plugins to do most of that, but not only does Opera have everything built-in (thus working perfectly),
Thus being cluttered, filling too many too-deep menus, with convoluted UIs abound, which include settings and actions for features that shouldn't be in a web browser.
with Opera Sync you can have your browser customized out of the box: just log on to Sync and voilá, it's your browser. It's so practical it's boring :P
I just copy my profile. But, I'm content to have PCs with different hardware and software capabilities have a different browser configuration. It's not something that changes often, after all.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Fri May 21, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

I really wish I could do something crazy like symlink the browser preferences on my phone to an FTP server on my laptop. Unfortunately, that's both impractical and probably not possible because they use different browsers.
ImageImage

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri May 21, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Firefox and Opera both have mobile versions.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Deviltry

Postby Deviltry » Fri May 21, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

Well I'm using [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron]Iron[/url]. Technically Google Chrome, really *the* best browser since fourth version. ;)

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Sat May 22, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

i just tried uzbl. it’s pretty cool if you bind middleclick to “open new window” and force kwin to group uzbl windows automatically: tadaa! tabbed browser ;)
and typing ggsearchterm for a google search is also pretty straightforward.

JamesMusicus

Postby JamesMusicus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 am UTC

I feel Genuinely sorry for the 9 people that selected IE, if only they knew the horror that they rendered with...

Chrome

jendral_hxr

Postby jendral_hxr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Now I am thinking to get Chrome on my box as it gets so much good reviews here ;)
But the "don't delete firefox" thing (on it's Readme) still bugs me, for some weird reason.

ctwebdesign

Postby ctwebdesign » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:35 am UTC

I actually use Firefox as my primary browser, Chrome as a secondary and IE when I really need it. I have a 64 bit operating system and there is always a bug with IE.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 am UTC

I'm really disappointed that Firefox doesn't cooperate with the latest Gtk's ability to move windows by dragging the menubar, probably because it uses some custom thing.

I'm not wavering, though.
ImageImage

annae

Postby annae » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:48 am UTC

Berengal wrote:If you want "something else" to be an option, you should've put that in the poll as well.

Firefox is my favorite, but I've used Konqueror since I switched to KDE (in october, I think...) because it doesn't clash with the window manager like firefox does. It works mostly the same.

Hi, I voted Firefox, of course because is easy, clean and fast. But I've never heard of this one. How long is this browser in use? What you said, is true: even I like my Firefox, it crushes one too many times...

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

this browser is in use since kde 2.0 i think :)

but if you haven’t heard of konqueror yet, you probably don’t know kde and if you don’t know kde, you probably don’t use linux and can’t use konqueror. (ok, you can, but who uses kde4windows/mac yet?)

and firefox clashes with kwin? how? and if you meant “gui toolkit” instead of wndow manager: there is the oxygen kde theme for firefox, which looks very nice with the most used kde color schemes. (look at addon description how to activate them)

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Konqueror. I use a lot of stuff that Firefox needs add-ons for (AdBlock, UA switching, Google Sharing, blocking scripts on jerk sites (say, forums.xkcd.com's math renderer), easy translation, KRunner integration, window splitting for side-by-side comparison, the list goes on).
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Safari 5 might be revealed on Monday

Rumored features include more DNS prefetching, support for full screen <video>, HTML5 drag and drop, Awesomebar-like functionality in the address bar, and something called "Safari Reader" The rumor is rather vague as to what the last one is. Might be an RSS reader, or something else entirely. Also, John Gruber (noted Apple blogger) gave a bit of a hint-hint-nudge-nudge a real extension API (geez, about time).
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

bonzoWhale

Re: I am Anti-Opera Man! I have the superpower of bored rant

Postby bonzoWhale » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 am UTC

cerbie, Opera is user oriented, practical. Gestures are only annoying if you're stupid and/or don't take the 4.21 minutes it takes to learn how they work. When I say it's "supposed" to be the fastest browser, I mean it doesn't matter, it's the best user-experience you can find, it's extremely simple and optimizes the user, not just the software. Some users eventually don't get used to it, of course, but you can't possibly evaluate it with "as far as I can tell".

And heck... Opera Unite is simply awesome.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:24 am UTC

Had to change my vote from Firefox to Chrome after the former started malfunctioning on my 'buntu box. What a shame.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

I'm beginning to think Opera is the Mac of browsers. It seems to appeal to a specific kind of user, and for that user, it provides a comprehensive, outstanding experience. But for everyone else, it just doesn't quite fit.

eviloatmeal wrote:Had to change my vote from Firefox to Chrome after the former started malfunctioning on my 'buntu box. What a shame.

What's it doing? Maybe there's a solution.

alden

Postby alden » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

K-Meleon http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

Really like Chrome but it, like Firefox, kills my slow ass no-RAM computers. K-Meleon is based on Mozilla but is much lighter. I also like because with some twerking all the chrome can be minimized (I like looking at websites, not 4 inches of toolbars).

Oh yeah it's windows only "btw". I'm pretentious enough to want to run some sort of *nix, but too lazy and greedy :(

phider2

Postby phider2 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:21 am UTC

I used to be a big fan of firefox, but I really like chrome's interface. It's very minimal, and give you more space for actual web pages. Since I never used a ton of addons for firefox, they weren't really much of a loss switching to chrome. My only problem with chrome is that it's made by google, which means I'm probably helping them take over the world somehow.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

phider2 wrote:I used to be a big fan of firefox, but I really like chrome's interface. It's very minimal, and give you more space for actual web pages.

For what it's worth, here's Firefox, with toolbar layout matched to Chrome, alongside Chrome itself. The height of the interface is almost identical.

Spoiler:

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

firefox 4.0 beta 1 is there. good stuff, runs nice, fast and will eventually support all the extensions i can’t browse without

Return to “Religious Wars”