IE
2%
Safari
2%

Total votes: 830

maydayp

Re: Opera, Chrome, Firefox, OR?

Postby maydayp » Wed May 23, 2012 1:58 am UTC

while I don't like that FF uses half my ram, and I can't really have two pages open, I've no problem having a shit load of tabs open. It'd probably be even better when I go and delete some cookies, lol.
I've used Firefox since about 2010, and haven't looked at IE since then. they are the two browsers I've used most, and I prefer Firefox.
I've had some limited exposure to safari, when IE wouldn't work on certain computers, didn't like it. but that was like 2008 or earlier. So things might have changed.
I've no desire to try a different browser out, unless FF stops working, like IE did on my last computer. then I'll probably try chrome or opera

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 am UTC

Right now I'm using Midori, just for the fact that it's so lightweight.

When I'm not using a 9-year-old Mac though, I prefer Chromium.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

astrekmaster

Postby astrekmaster » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am UTC

I use Chromium, but I used to use Firefox until they switched to their rapid release schedule and broke a bunch of add-ons, even with the about:config hack. I do use Firefox every once in a while, but I always go to Chromium.
The only thing is that Chromium lacks an equivalent for is about:config.
I define progress on a computer problem as getting a different error message.

Warp Zone

Postby Warp Zone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:23 am UTC

I prefer Maxthon, although I'm saying this as someone who's by no means a computer expert. It's simply the fastest of all the browsers I've tried, and mouse-gestures are a huge boon.

Polyphase Avatron

Postby Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 am UTC

I prefer and use Chrome

screen317

Postby screen317 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Waterfox!

dii

Postby dii » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Lynx!

bouer

Postby bouer » Sat May 11, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

I use Chrome. I'm shocked that IE got 16 votes.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

bouer wrote:I use Chrome. I'm shocked that IE got 16 votes.

Well, there are still some things you can only do in IE. I suspect that's why.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun May 12, 2013 1:24 am UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:

Such as…?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun May 12, 2013 6:03 am UTC

IE10 scored highest in safety actually. http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/304 ... afety-test

Every now and then, some dumb website uses ActiveX controls and will also only look decent in IE10. Generally speaking, I stick to Firefox first, Chrome second... but when push comes to shove, IE is sometimes necessary to use some web applications.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sun May 12, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
WanderingLinguist wrote:

Such as…?

KnightExemplar said it already: ActiveX. And sites designed only for IE.

But the "Every now and then" part, regrettably, doesn't apply in Korea. Almost everything major site here is built specifically for IE. Best case, it'll just look bad on other browsers. Worst case (which happens all too often) it simply doesn't work without IE.

Want a 10% discount at Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robins, Paris Baguette, or Jamba Juice (to name a few)? Gotta use IE.

Want to do on-line banking? Gotta use IE.

Want to take on-line classes? You guessed it... IE.

Want to copy your on-line banking certificate to your iPhone so you can do on-line banking from your iPhone? Ah, yes, the irony: Gotta have IE.

Booking plane tickets? Yup, that's IE-only too.

To be fair, it's starting to change now. Some banks have started adding support for other browsers (which generally requires downloading and installing some 3rd party application to manage your banking certificate...ugh) but it's a slow process.

The problem is so serious that it actually came up during recent elections.

For one of the most technologically advanced countries on Earth, IE dependence is quite the embarrassment.

I hate IE with a passion, but end up having to use it anyway because there are no other options. I'm not shocked that IE got votes. Disappointed? Yes. Shocked? No.

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

I used to use Firefox, but I switched over to Chrome because Firefox always started lagging like hell when I was running another program.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

SomeoneSomewhere

Postby SomeoneSomewhere » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:58 am UTC

I love the mouse gestures in Opera. Perfect for laptop trackpads and those mice that don't have a hardware back button.

The large number of customisations (install it and go to opera:config and drool) are pretty awesome. Plus you can enable/disable/move any part of the UI too.

For a while it had issues with some sites' non-compliant HTML, but that's largely fixed.

I refuse to contribute to a WebKit monoculture. When developers test in Safari/Chrome, you have a problem.

I'll need to find a new browser when Opera moves to WebKit/Blink.

MrPotatoJunior

Postby MrPotatoJunior » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

To the people who use Chrome: may I ask why do you use malware as your main browser?

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

MrPotatoJunior wrote:To the people who use Chrome: may I ask why do you use malware as your main browser?

Because it's not nearly as bad as any of the other options.
internet explorer or safari? microsoft and apple are actually proud of the fact that they spy on you and share your information with anyone who pays enough.
opera? it's just chrome with a less user-friendly interface.
firefox? known security vulnerabilities remain unpatched for over 11 years.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:10 am UTC

MrPotatoJunior wrote:To the people who use Chrome: may I ask why do you use malware as your main browser?

Troll level: 0/6
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

MrPotatoJunior

Postby MrPotatoJunior » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:

Troll level: 0/6

Why do you think I'm a troll? If a software has a backdoor it's malware.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Some interesting charts from The Economist.

20130810_GDM861_1190.png

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... ly-chart-4

Looks like Chrome is taking over. (But I still use Firefox)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Well, I used to use Opera, then Opera 15 happened. If I'd wanted to use Chrome, I'd have already been using Chrome. Guess I'll just go to IE then since I have a Windows Phone and a Surface.

FLHerne

Postby FLHerne » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

I used to use Firefox (still 3.x then) on Windows, then switched to Chrome when that came out (it was far better than FF3), then moved to Linux on PowerPC and had to use Opera 10 instead.
I switched to Qupzilla (very nice QtWebkit browser) after moving back to Intel processors, and yesterday I switched back to Firefox, which seems to have improved wildly since I last saw it.

IMO: Firefox > Qupzilla* > Opera** > Chrome. :P
*Qupzilla is IMO better than Firefox for casual browsing, it just isn't overfeatured enough for what I want to do. :)
**Presto-based, I havent tried Opera 15 yet.

Rhombic

Postby Rhombic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

I use Opera, Chrome and SeaMonkey. I like those three actually, but I voted for Opera. So much more interesting when you sing it.

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Rhombic wrote:I use Opera, Chrome and SeaMonkey. I like those three actually, but I voted for Opera. So much more interesting when you sing it.

Opera has a really nice design. I really like how speedy and simple the browser is. It also doesn't take as long to load up for me like Google Chrome.

But I still use Google Chrome because it has bookmarks. I know Opera has speedial. But I prefer to have bookmarks as well so I can keep track of all my videos, websites, and homework.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 am UTC

hotaru wrote:
inhahe wrote:though lately there seems to have been an insurgence of complete incompetency in web programming, because it seems every site i go to nowadays insists on having 90% of my cpu usage. and that's in firefox, safari, etc.

not all of that is incompetence... i've actually set up a few pages to borrow some cpu cycles for brute-forcing some hashes, and i'm sure i'm not the first person to come up with that idea.
i've not actually gotten any results from it, but it only took a couple minutes to write the code.

Have you read "The Fall of Hyperion"?
In it, the powerful AIs that provide the technology and predictions to humans located their "hardware" in a hyperspace-like area which people use to teleport (with the AIs' technology, of course), and is set up so that every person's neurons are used as part of the AIs' processing, vastly improving their processing power. That sounds suspiciously like what you're doing...

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

I have no migrated from Chrome to Opera. It's so awesome! When I use Opera I feel like the browser is a bit more responsive. Plus, it doesn't require as much resources to use like FireFox or Chrome. For me at least.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---

Return to “Religious Wars”