48%
OTTERS!
4%

Total votes: 183

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Curly Brackets Go Where?

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:25 am UTC

I'd call it "irrelevant". The centre of a pair of brackets != the centre of a single bracket.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 am UTC

phlip wrote:I'd call it "irrelevant". The centre of a pair of brackets != the centre of a single bracket.

brackets almost always come in pairs. in most programming languages, you can forget about the "almost".

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Yes, and it looks neater if you line the centre of one up with the centre of the other.

So why are we talking about the centre of the pair?

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:04 am UTC

phlip wrote:Yes, and it looks neater if you line the centre of one up with the centre of the other.

So why are we talking about the centre of the pair?

because it makes more sense to have the brackets open toward the center of the pair than to have them open away from it.

isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Area Man

Postby Area Man » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:11 am UTC

hotaru wrote:brackets do have a common center, to the right of the opening bracket and to the left of the closing bracket.
also, do you really say /ˈsɛntreɪ/, or just spell it that way?
---
so what would you call the point in the middle of a set of brackets?
---
brackets almost always come in pairs. in most programming languages, you can forget about the "almost".

The space separating the brackets I call "between". Delineating kewords also come in pairs and have a "between". Your some_function() example suffers from variable column padding distance between brackets. Brackets (and kewords) open and enclose scope which they mark, which may or may not have a centre, but definitely have a between.

Your pair of shoes also have a "common centre", but you can't stack them vertically according to that.

And I say it "sentr" (actually, it probably comes out more like "senrr"); do you say "sentair" or "sentuhr"?
Centre, from Latin "centrum"

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Area Man wrote:Your pair of shoes also have a "common centre", but you can't stack them vertically according to that.

but unlike brackets, a pair of shoes is generally not used to enclose a single contiguous region.

Area Man wrote:And I say it "sentr" (actually, it probably comes out more like "senrr"); do you say "sentair" or "sentuhr"?

neither. i say /ˈsɛntɝ/.

Area Man wrote: Centre, from Latin "centrum"

http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=center wrote:Spelling with -re popularized in Britain by Johnson's dictionary, though -er is older.

isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Area Man wrote:I seem to recall vb enforcing indentation while requiring such verbosity in addition.

You recall wrong. The editor in visual studio does re-indentation (and case normalization, which doesn't change that the language is case-insensitive) all the time, but it's not required for the language.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

{ //here is a bracket
  //here is the center of a pair of brackets
} //here is another bracket

It's English, not any programming language, in which the center of a pair of brackets has to be horizontally between them.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

(defun fact (n &optional (acc 1))
  (if (= n 1)
    acc
    (fact (- n 1) (* acc n)
      )
    )
  )

<function name="hello" return-type="void">
    <bracket>
        <function-call function="printf">
            <argument type="String">
                <literal type="String">
                    Hello world!
                    </literal>
                </argument>
            </function-call>
        </bracket>
    </function>

Is the above readable? Can we agree that brackets should be lined up above eachother on the same column now? And that XML sucks?
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Oh man, i know someone that used to write code like that and it always drove me crazy. Especially when I had to look at their HTML or XML.

Being able to see a <open> tag and looking directly aligned below it for the </open> closed version of the tag really makes looking at stuff easier.

Misaligned xml-like structures make things really hard to read.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

MaverickBJ

Postby MaverickBJ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Hypothetical situation...

if (some test) {
some code;
} else {
some more code;
}

Just me, but if you're going to have the line '} else {' all on 1 line, then for consistency, wouldn't it make sense to have your procedure name stubs done the same one, e.g.

public void someProc (param1, param2) { some code; } public void someProc2 (param1, param2) { some more code; }

To me, this is all retarded, and thus ALL curly brackets should have their own line for the simple purpose of consistency, there shouldn't be any argument that anybody could make for having it on he same line that won't have some sort of exception for putting it on an alternate line, and if this is true, then they should ALL be on a new line.

There, I've offered my 2 cents worth!

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 am UTC

MaverickBJ wrote:To me, this is all retarded, and thus ALL curly brackets should have their own line for the simple purpose of consistency, there shouldn't be any argument that anybody could make for having it on he same line that won't have some sort of exception for putting it on an alternate line, and if this is true, then they should ALL be on a new line.

if(some test)
{
 some code; }
else
{
 some more code; } 

consistent, and it doesn't have any precious-vertical-screen-space-wasting 1-character lines.

isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

enk

Postby enk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Go did it RightTM:

http://golang.org/doc/go_faq.html#semicolons wrote:the advantages of a single, programmatically mandated format for all Go programs greatly outweigh any perceived disadvantages of the particular style
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

MaverickBJ wrote:Just me, but if you're going to have the line '} else {' all on 1 line, then for consistency, wouldn't it make sense to have your procedure name stubs done the same one, e.g.

Of course not. Functions aren't if/else blocks, and there's nothing inconsistent about applying different formatting to different syntactic elements of a language.

enk wrote:Go did it RightTM:

http://golang.org/doc/go_faq.html#semicolons wrote:the advantages of a single, programmatically mandated format for all Go programs greatly outweigh any perceived disadvantages of the particular style

No, they don't (and hence: no, it didn't). If trivial formatting details regularly constitute a sufficient obstacle that they interfere with your ability to read someone else's code, then you don't know the language very well. In the rare case where it really is an issue (certain horrible programmatically generated code, maybe) here are lots of beautifiers in the world, and it's not hard to use them.

That's not to say that Go got this wrong; it's only to say that it shouldn't (and doesn't) matter. There is no right or wrong.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

enk

Postby enk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:39 am UTC

stephentyrone wrote:
enk wrote:Go did it RightTM:

No, they don't (and hence: no, it didn't). If trivial formatting details regularly constitute a sufficient obstacle that they interfere with your ability to read someone else's code, then you don't know the language very well. In the rare case where it really is an issue (certain horrible programmatically generated code, maybe) here are lots of beautifiers in the world, and it's not hard to use them.

That's not to say that Go got this wrong; it's only to say that it shouldn't (and doesn't) matter. There is no right or wrong.

Then what are you doing here in Religious Wars? :wink:

Anyway, the point is not about readability. It is about avoiding the debate. (Then what am I doing here in this thread? :? )
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Return to “Religious Wars”