Coding Fonts

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

InkL0sed

Re: What font do you use for coding? What colour scheme?

Postby InkL0sed » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:53 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
dasada122 wrote:I never thought to deviate from VS 05's default, but my teacher uses Comic Sans MS at 24 point type. It bugs me.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that? Every CS teacher I've ever seen has used Comic Sans for their code.

Wait, are you being serious? That must be odd.

Pardon me if I'm missing the irony (although I guess I'm not at this point if there is any)

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 am UTC

Monaco, Menlo, or Andalé Mono (depending on operating system and program), silver (#C0C0C0) on black.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 am UTC

InkL0sed wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:
dasada122 wrote:I never thought to deviate from VS 05's default, but my teacher uses Comic Sans MS at 24 point type. It bugs me.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that? Every CS teacher I've ever seen has used Comic Sans for their code.

Wait, are you being serious? That must be odd.

Just an observation. From the confused "CS" teachers I suffered in High School, to the teachers of the CS classes I've taken in college, every last person has used comic sans (or chalkboard if they were mac users). I always figured it was some sort of teacher in-joke I didn't understand. Comic Sans is like the Papyrus of computer science.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:34 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Yeah, what the heck is up with that? Every CS teacher I've ever seen has used Comic Sans for their code.

Oh, those wacky swedes?
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:54 am UTC

stephentyrone wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Yeah, what the heck is up with that? Every CS teacher I've ever seen has used Comic Sans for their code.

Oh, those wacky swedes?

???

mrkite

Postby mrkite » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 am UTC

dasada122 wrote:What environment does one code with in Linux?

Mine was from linux. vim in gnome-terminal.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Vault wrote:I have to have a dark background, it's much easier on the eyes than glaring white:
That, plus I find with black backgrounds, you can turn the opacity further down and still be able to read the text. I <3 my wallpapers so I like to have the opacity at ~40%, being able to see the image and the code at the same time.
I use Geany. Could be better but it works.
code.png
code.png (130.83 KiB) Viewed 10977 times
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:Inconsolata. I generally use whatever default colors notepad++, emacs or visual studio give me. Except for that godawful blue notepad++ insists on highlighting some things with, and that thing where it turns all my comments into 8pt comic sans. That shit is right out.
You can set a global font override in the style preferences menu. (You can also set a global bold, italic, underline, color and highlight if you so desire)

Vault wrote:I have to have a dark background, it's much easier on the eyes than glaring white:
White text on a black background is incredibly hard to read compared to black text on a white background. If you're going to use a black background, do your eyes a favour and set the font color to grey at least :). (I see you've got bold set which helps a bit)
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:
White text on a black background is incredibly hard to read compared to black text on a white background. If you're going to use a black background, do your eyes a favour and set the font color to grey at least :). (I see you've got bold set which helps a bit)

Depends on the contrast of your screen I suppose. Some screens is will leave hollow smoldering sockets where your eyes used to be if they display white pixels, others will be outshone by random neurons firing in your brain.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Depends on which computer I'm sitting at, and which computer I'm programming on. Most small-program work is done using vi in the terminal's native font, so I'm either using green Consolas on black, or grey Codepage 437 on black.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Ephphatha wrote:
OmenPigeon wrote:Inconsolata. I generally use whatever default colors notepad++, emacs or visual studio give me. Except for that godawful blue notepad++ insists on highlighting some things with, and that thing where it turns all my comments into 8pt comic sans. That shit is right out.
You can set a global font override in the style preferences menu. (You can also set a global bold, italic, underline, color and highlight if you so desire)

Well, yes, I can. And I do. But I have to do it every time I install ++, and it's just one more thing that I have to spend five minutes configuring every time I use a new machine. And it's really bizarre, since except for that Notepad++ is hands down the best text editor I've ever used on Windows. It's just such a strange default. Why... why would the default *anything* in a text editor geared at programmers not be monospaced?
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:58 am UTC

I like a dark background in visual studio for text, but the fact that the interface is otherwise so bright annoys me to no end, so I usually stick with defaults. Actually, what's even worse than all-white-all-the-time backgrounds is going from a nice black background, to a blindingly bright one, which happens far too often (IDE notwithstanding, I tab to my browser far too much, and the web loves white backgrounds).

enk

Postby enk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Vault wrote:I have to have a dark background, it's much easier on the eyes than glaring white

I used to do this as well, but switching between terminal and web pages (of which the decent ones are rarely dark) was worse and now I use black on white in the terminal as well. I do miss my light-on-dark vim colorschemes, though.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Vault

Postby Vault » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:28 am UTC

This is a little off topic, but it just occurred to me. I usually use a laptop so maximizing battery life is a must. From what I know displaying a black pixel should be less power consuming than a white one. Does anyone know if showing mostly black would have any noticeable impact on battery life?

Amnesiasoft

Re: Coding Fonts

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:47 am UTC

That shouldn't have any effect on power consumption at all. The backlight on an LCD screen is on at all times. Black pixels are just opaque, and don't let the backlight through.

qbg

Postby qbg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Is there no love for white on blue?

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 am UTC

qbg wrote:Is there no love for white on blue?

Light-blue on very-dark-blue. Does that count?
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:42 pm UTC

Vault wrote:This is a little off topic, but it just occurred to me. I usually use a laptop so maximizing battery life is a must. From what I know displaying a black pixel should be less power consuming than a white one. Does anyone know if showing mostly black would have any noticeable impact on battery life?

On an LCD display, technically displaying black pixels takes slightly more energy - but it's a lot less than the backlight, and the power savings you can get from turning the brightness all the way down to turn white-on-black into grey-on-black will probably be a lot more.

qbg

Postby qbg » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:
qbg wrote:Is there no love for white on blue?

Light-blue on very-dark-blue. Does that count?

As long as the very-dark-blue looks blue, yes.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Vault and You, sir, name? - What are those editors called/in which way are they modded (if they are)?

I have been using Courier since VC6, continuing on in VC8. Courier new works, but courier just feels... better. It doesn't poke your eyes out but it's not that soft either.

However, when coding in python, right now I use SciTE. Sadly, it isn't made for monospaced fonts (Seriously: why?), but with a hack it's... semi-monospaced (hard to explain, look at the __init__ text below). I have no idea what that font is called.
Anyone here know the font?

I have always where the evidence is for using a black background and so on. It seams like something that is just "common knowledge" but you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who have actually read an serious scientific article about it.
Doesn't it have a lot to do with your room lightning and so on? I always have two 14 w (about the same as "normal" 2*70 w) lights behind me when coding, which is quite unlike some of my friends which sit in rooms that are completely dark except for the screen.

Please, prove why white text on black background is better.
I heard someone claim that a brown background with yellow text was best for your eyes: I have no idea if that was supposed to be a joke or not (since I just recently saw someone using that exact setup).

I guess we simply aren't _that_ sure of what is best? Like when we said that we are more sensitive to green light than red light (or something like that: the reason why night vision is green-tinted), which would mean our beliefs in the superiority of the red light (...the reason why the Terminator sees in red) has been wrong for >50 years.
(Once more, please prove me wrong!).

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:57 am UTC

You have a bug in your program. A zombie is not a living thing.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 am UTC

Ran4 wrote:it's... semi-monospaced (hard to explain, look at the __init__ text below)

Looks like it's monospaced, but boldface text is wider than normal text. Which is pretty common, I think...

If you can twerk your hilighting settings so it doesn't use bold, then I think it'd line up. Or find a monospace font where the pitch is the same for bold and not-bold.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am UTC

The red/green choice is to do with the rods and cones in the eye.

The ones which are sensitive to red light don't tire, whilst the others do. Or something like that, I wasn't really paying attention when they told me.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Ran4 wrote:it's... semi-monospaced (hard to explain, look at the __init__ text below)

Looks like it's monospaced, but boldface text is wider than normal text. Which is pretty common, I think...

If you can twerk your hilighting settings so it doesn't use bold, then I think it'd line up. Or find a monospace font where the pitch is the same for bold and not-bold.

The courier font that comes with windows doesn't have a bold version - so depending on the rendering mode used, bold text is either one pixel wider total (which can be compensated for - often the case on terminal emulators), or one pixel wider per character (seems to be the case here)

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:You have a bug in your program. A zombie is not a living thing.

True, but It's based upon one!

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Terminus definitely!
Other fonts don't make people that happen to see your screen go:
Oh me yarm! I CAN HAZ TEH KEWL LETTERS PLZ?

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:11 am UTC

sakeniwefu wrote:Terminus definitely!
Other fonts don't make people that happen to see your screen go:
Oh me yarm! I CAN HAZ TEH KEWL LETTERS PLZ?

that's only because people who use better fonts don't let people who talk like that anywhere near their computers.

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Pic of my coding environment. Editor is gvim.
terminal.png
terminal.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 10736 times

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

lurkersanonymous

Postby lurkersanonymous » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 am UTC

My editor of choice is ViM.

Font is Inconsolata Medium 10, colorscheme is a modified version of wombat.
This just in from the tether ball Court, Obama's friend said Ms. Clinton has cooties.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

I personally use Courier New:

Consolas is also nice:

Don't personally like Lucida Console.

Fixedsys, for that old-timey feel.

And for the truly masochistic, Comic Sans.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:37 pm UTC

Sc4Freak wrote:And for the truly masochistic, Comic Sans.

That's one form of masochism... another would be to use one of those fancy title fonts where all the letters are in uppercase (and the uppercase/lowercase forms of the same letter are indistinguishable)... and then code in a case-sensitive language. And then use libraries with different capitalisation conventions.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 am UTC

My environment:
screenshot 2.png
screenshot 2.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 10684 times

xkcd:
screenshot 1.png
screenshot 1.png (33.14 KiB) Viewed 10681 times

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 am UTC

Papyrus.
No, but seriously, the emacs default font and coloring
EDIT: I just realised that the coloring is awful. How do I change it?
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

I used to adjust my fonts a lot, in search of the optimal small and clean looking font, but I've stuck with a few for now.

I like courier new too, sometimes 8-point, and there's just nothing on Linux that seems to look as good. I usually end up using "Monospace" 8 point on Linux - but that might map to something else.

I like the appearance of Lucida Console a lot, but I've noticed one time that bold type is wider than normal type, which is extremely problematic for editors that incorporate bolding into their syntax highlighting.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

LikwidCirkel wrote:I like courier new too, sometimes 8-point, and there's just nothing on Linux that seems to look as good. I usually end up using "Monospace" 8 point on Linux - but that might map to something else.

It's a generic font family alias that maps to usually Bitstream Vera Sans Mono (or some descendant like FreeSans or Dejavu).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontconfig

"8-point" means how many pixels? (what's your DPI set to?)

Vault

Postby Vault » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:27 am UTC

For the truly masochistic, I give you:
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (32.31 KiB) Viewed 10518 times

Vault

Postby Vault » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:49 am UTC

It's something called Zapfino, that came with my computer, and it isn't fixed width. On the bright side 1, i, and l all look different, on the other hand though, finding a random typo could be difficult.

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 am UTC

LIBERATION MONO

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 am UTC

qbg wrote:Fixedsys

This. Fixedsys is also my system font for everything. And it's all black background, #0f0 text. (Which can get really annoying with programs that set the text color to black but leave the background color to system defaults, but I can usually work around this.) It's really, really worth it to do a light-on-dark color scheme to save your eyes.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:23 am UTC

enk wrote:
Vault wrote:I have to have a dark background, it's much easier on the eyes than glaring white

I used to do this as well, but switching between terminal and web pages (of which the decent ones are rarely dark) was worse and now I use black on white in the terminal as well. I do miss my light-on-dark vim colorschemes, though.

If you roll with Firefox, install Stylish. I've got a Consolizer style I can share with you that makes the internet more interesting.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Religious Wars”