Comic Sans

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Your opinion on the usage of Comic Sans for an intended audience of non-children:

That's cool, I like it.
7%
It's fine, I guess.
17%
Please don't.
76%

Total votes: 263

enk

Comic Sans

Postby enk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Inspired by a discussion in the make xkcd slightly worse thread.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Troy Martin

Re: Comic Sans

Postby Troy Martin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

No. Nononononononno.

Comic Sans is too playful and cartoony for professional use.
Howdy.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:39 am UTC

enk wrote:Inspired by a discussion in the make xkcd slightly worse thread.

So... do you have something to say, or are you just creating a thread for the hell of it?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 am UTC

I seriously don't see the big deal about it. It may be the equivalent of the Holocaust in the typographers world, but it's just a font. I don't even notice it's usage.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:I seriously don't see the big deal about it. It may be the equivalent of the Holocaust in the typographers world, but it's just a font. I don't even notice it's usage.

My opinion exactly. I think it may be an extension of comic 185.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

enk

Postby enk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:03 am UTC

phlip wrote:So... do you have something to say, or are you just creating a thread for the hepoll of it?

Fix'd.

And in that case no and yes, respectively.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Don't use it for an intended audience of children, either. Their minds are young and impressionable, don't teach them that Comic Sans is justifiable, ever.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 am UTC

The only real requirement that I have of a font is that it is immediately readable. Comic sans fits this, so it doesn't bother me.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

troyp

Postby troyp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:18 am UTC

Calling Comic Sans "readable" seems a bit of an exaggeration to me. Even in very short, sparse texts like notices or slides, I find the experience of reading it noticeably...tedious. I think I'm gonna have to agree with the "never" camp: I don't want to be dogmatic about it, but the truth is, I can't ever remember seeing a use of that font where another wouldn't have worked much better.

enk

Postby enk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

stephentyrone wrote:Don't use it for an intended audience of children, either. Their minds are young and impressionable, don't teach them that Comic Sans is justifiable, ever.

Haha... good point. I'll keep that in mind.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm UTC

comic sans fails, even where a comic strip is concerned.

"Digital Strip" is the new (accepted) comic sans.

even the creator of comic sans said it is time to move on.

"Comic Sans walks into a bar, bartender says, 'We don't serve your type.'"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992364819927171.html

Vincent Connare designed the ubiquitous, bubbly Comic Sans typeface, but he sympathizes with the world-wide movement to ban it.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 am UTC

LDJosh wrote:"Digital Strip" is the new (accepted) comic sans.

Because caps lock is cruise control for cool.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

most comics & webcomics are all caps.
for example... XKCD.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

enk

Postby enk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 am UTC

LDJosh wrote:most comics & webcomics are all caps.
for example... XKCD.

http://xkcd.com/about/ wrote:The preferred form is "xkcd", all lower-case
8)

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

stephentyrone wrote:Don't use it for an intended audience of children, either. Their minds are young and impressionable, don't teach them that Comic Sans is justifiable, ever.

I think I said this before on another thread - but for small children, there isn't a whole lot of choice besides Comic Sans, not that's widely available. They need letters which are formed the same way they are handwritten. Almost every other font has "a" - which is nothing like the handwritten version.

I used to make a lot of printed labels for playgroup - for coatpegs etc. They were all Comic Sans because I didn't have another font with the right properties.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:I think I said this before on another thread - but for small children, there isn't a whole lot of choice besides Comic Sans, not that's widely available. They need letters which are formed the same way they are handwritten. Almost every other font has "a" - which is nothing like the handwritten version.

Three things:
1. "a" is exactly how I write that letter in handwriting, thank you very much. ditto for "g". don't impose your normative letter forms on me, you orthography nazi.
2. There are literally thousands of fonts in which the letterforms are the same as in "standard" handwriting.
3. Little kids are smarter than they get credit for. Besides, they need to learn that the different styles of "a" are all the same eventually.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

I think I'll have to fall down on the side of very rarely or never as well. It may not be as terrible as a lot of people make out but, as has been mentioned, there are very few situations where another font would not work better.

I also feel Papyrus is heading the same way. They both seem like a good idea at the time but after a while most people will regret using them, if only because they're overused and too common.

EDIT: And is it really a coincidence that my post about Comic Sans was my 13th post? Well...probably. Also changed sentence structure to be less odd.
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:18 am UTC

stephentyrone wrote:"a" is exactly how I write that letter in handwriting, thank you very much.

Same here, well, when I right with lowercase letters anyway.

Comic Sans: Whatever, I really don't care.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

My lowercase "A" is a small triangle. Uppercase delta is a big and bolded version of it.
On comic sans, what people think it says about them is "Hey, look, I know how to properly design something while not using defaults! I'm special!", but it's more like "I am a stupid and tasteless person who doesn't know how to use a computer, and my Win XP SP2 with IE6 has several tens of thousands of viruses because my McAffee Trial ended, and I don't want to buy it until I get the money that I won because I was visitor no. 999,999,999 on an emoticon download website or the one that a Nigerian princess promised me after I helped her escape the civil war over there"
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Thanks to GNU/Linux, I am immune to the Comic Sans.

For Windows users:

DEL C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\COMIC*.TTF

lvxferre

Postby lvxferre » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 am UTC

dean.menezes wrote:Thanks to GNU/Linux, I am immune to the Comic Sans.

For Windows users:

DEL C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\COMIC*.TTF

Not really immune... but we see it far less than Windows users...

The funny part is: Comic Sans is what's left from... MS Bob, or "okay noobs, do you want a friendly environment, it's here! Don't blame me after!!!"

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:50 am UTC

kernelpanic wrote:My lowercase "A" is a small triangle. Uppercase delta is a big and bolded version of it.
On comic sans, what people think it says about them is "Hey, look, I know how to properly design something while not using defaults! I'm special!", but it's more like "I am a stupid and tasteless person who doesn't know how to use a computer, and my Win XP SP2 with IE6 has several tens of thousands of viruses because my McAffee Trial ended, and I don't want to buy it until I get the money that I won because I was visitor no. 999,999,999 on an emoticon download website or the one that a Nigerian princess promised me after I helped her escape the civil war over there"

Huh. What it says to me is "I used a font that's not wingdings, and therefore readable." I don't care about the font as much as what's the content of the text. But that's just me.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Obligatory Achewood link! I think it accurately represents my feelings.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

enk wrote:
LDJosh wrote:most comics & webcomics are all caps.
for example... XKCD.

http://xkcd.com/about/ wrote:The preferred form is "xkcd", all lower-case
8)

you, sir, are and idiot :/
The letters in the comic strips are written in uppercase, with a few exceptions (which show that the writer's handwriting is not allcaps).
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

It is tricky to read, and stings my eyes a bit, but is not as bad as all caps.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 am UTC

It's obnoxious. It is just plain silly looking. Do not use it. Use Helvetica. :P

Papyrus.....Windows doesn't really come with any other stylistic fonts, does it? I think that is probably why it gets used so much. I actually think it looks pretty cool, and used it back when I was experimenting with graphics (forum sig-making) when I was 14 or 15. I refuse to use it for anything now, just because there are enough titles in Papyrus, and the world doesn't need me to spawn one more.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 am UTC

To be fair, I've never seen a sig or document in Papyrus. It doesn't seem to see much common use in the UK; might be more a west-Atlantic thing.

Comic Sans continues its pervasive intrusion here, though; I saw a shop front near me the other day written wholly in Comic Sans. Printed on METAL SIGNS; that stuff's a permanent fixture now!
The Unofficial "Making xkcd Slightly Worse" Archive [Incomplete]: xkcdsw.com
Articles that fall out of my head about once a month: imrannazar.com

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 am UTC

I remember seeing a law firm's ad on a noticeboard in comic sans. I couldn't take them seriously ><

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Had a chem midterm in Comic Sans... distracted me to no end.

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:24 am UTC

My webcomic is using Comic Sans. But it's a webcomic. It doesn't need to be serious. Digital Strip, mentioned above, is entirely uppercase, and definitely less readable than Comic Sans.

Kat.Petronia

Postby Kat.Petronia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 am UTC

Yeah, in my opinion, anything written in Comic Sans has no credibility for me. Augh, it wrecks the mind.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

comicsans.png

This is from a slideshow part of an overview course in nanotechnology and nanoelectronics.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:59 am UTC

modularblues wrote:Had a chem midterm in Comic Sans... distracted me to no end.

My phisics teacher used CS at the start of the year, until I asked her to please change it because it was very distracting and difficult to read for everyone. When she asked why only I had gone to tell her, I said that they were afraid to do so.
Always works, the "Oh-by-the-way-the-other-guys-are-a-bunch-of-pussies" approach.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:39 am UTC

Comic Sans... I see it used far too often. For a font that tries to be unusual, quirky and fun, it sure is used constantly in every context imaginable, especially ones that are completely mundane ("Barber shop sale!"). For a font that stands out, it sure has become mundane.

It's like hearing the same joke far too many times... every day. Or reading the same word so many times that it stops looking like a word.

Mind you, I see Verdana, Helvetica, etc used everywhere too, but they don't go out of their way to be quirky and unusual. They just tell the message, without trying to draw up any connotations like Comic Sans does.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Axidos wrote:Comic Sans... I see it used far too often. For a font that tries to be unusual, quirky and fun, it sure is used constantly in every context imaginable, especially ones that are completely mundane ("Barber shop sale!"). For a font that stands out, it sure has become mundane.

It's like hearing the same joke far too many times... every day. Or reading the same word so many times that it stops looking like a word.

Mind you, I see Verdana, Helvetica, etc used everywhere too, but they don't go out of their way to be quirky and unusual. They just tell the message, without trying to draw up any connotations like Comic Sans does.

In fact, Helvetica has the advantage of being easy to read, clean and nondescript. Comic sans, not so much.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

enk

Postby enk » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Helvetica has the advantage of being easy to read, clean and nondescript.

Clean and easy to read, yeah, but nondescript? Several of the letters yes, but not all, and not the font as a whole. I smile when I see Helvetica. And Arial is like Helvatica with its balls cut off. Helvetica does have a strong personality.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 am UTC

enk wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:Helvetica has the advantage of being easy to read, clean and nondescript.

Clean and easy to read, yeah, but nondescript? Several of the letters yes, but not all, and not the font as a whole. I smile when I see Helvetica. And Arial is like Helvatica with its balls cut off. Helvetica does have a strong personality.

I find helvetica pleasant, but I can read it without thinking about the font, without it jumping out at me, which is what I meant. It certainly has character, but it doesn't shove it in your face and wiggle like Comic Sans does.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:58 am UTC

Okay, scratch previous post. My webcomic no longer uses Comic Sans, precisely to avoid font hatred. Now I'm using comic font Gemelli.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
enk wrote:

I find helvetica pleasant, but I can read it without thinking about the font, without it jumping out at me, which is what I meant. It certainly has character, but it doesn't shove it in your face and wiggle like Comic Sans does.

I used to date a girl who had a deep seated hatred for Helvetica.

I don't know that there are any fonts that I dislike. Comic sans? Whatever.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:16 am UTC

Right now I'm big on Arial... But after reading this thread I'm switching to Helvatica. :) Maybe.

I think I'd be okay with Comic Sans if it stayed in elementary school classrooms... It does what it's supposed to do, but so many people are using it for what it's not supposed to do. :( If you're going to print a professional business advertisement in Comic Sans, then you may as well make it pink and throw in some wacky clip art.

Also, if you haven't heard about this already: Avatar uses Papyrus (It makes me die a little inside)

Return to “Religious Wars”