Comic Sans

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Your opinion on the usage of Comic Sans for an intended audience of non-children:

That's cool, I like it.
7%
It's fine, I guess.
17%
Please don't.
76%

Total votes: 264

flying sheep

Re: Comic Sans

Postby flying sheep » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 am UTC

one of the first things i do if i set up a windows computer is deleting comic sans.

it’s not the font which is terrible (it fullfills it’s purpose as children-fun-font), but it’s over- and misuse.
i mean: when i walk down a street and count every shop which has comic sans visible from the outside, i end up with 50% of the shops!

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Also, if you haven't heard about this already: Avatar uses Papyrus (It makes me die a little inside)

Firefly and Serenity also used Papyrus. Don't diss.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 am UTC

The EGE wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Also, if you haven't heard about this already: Avatar uses Papyrus (It makes me die a little inside)

Firefly and Serenity didn't cost $400 million. =/ Good point, though.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

The EGE wrote:

Firefly was released in 2002, Serenity in 2005. Avatar in 2009. The problem with Papyrus is that it's gratuitously overused, and becoming more so with time.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

I still but wonder what font does those scanlators use in those manga.

ZeroSkulleton

Which is lamer: Comic Sans MS or Papyrus

Postby ZeroSkulleton » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Comic Sans MS is often regarded as the lamest, most overused and overrated font.

But xkcd does not support Papyrus either.

So which font is the true lowest of the low?
DEBATE NOW!

djfly

Postby djfly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

ZeroSkulleton wrote:So which font is the true lowest of the low?
DEBATE NOW!

1) All of the "cursive" fonts. I remember in the Win 3.11 days, when many people used wordpad, I seem to remember a cursive font that got used CONSTANTLY. I find it hard enough to read cursive handwriting, never mind the computer generated ones. (I know there are still cursive fonts, I just haven't seen them used in years)
2) All the "fancy" fonts (any font that doesn't look like typewriter typeface: Comic, Papyrus, etc)
3) All serif fonts (I dislike the tails, I find them harder to read, especially when tired)
4) All non-fixed-width fonts (can you imagine what code would look like if you used Arial rather than Courier New?)

On this machine (some generic install of Windows XP) I can tolerate the following (Of this list I prefer Fixedsys, but its stuck at 9pt, so I typically use Terminal instead):

Terminal
Fixedsys
Lucida Sans Typewriter
Courier New
Miriam Fixed
Lucida Console

One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and make a new font that I can handle looking at...
A witty saying proves nothing

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:13 am UTC

djfly wrote:1) All of the "cursive" fonts. I remember in the Win 3.11 days, when many people used wordpad, I seem to remember a cursive font that got used CONSTANTLY. I find it hard enough to read cursive handwriting, never mind the computer generated ones. (I know there are still cursive fonts, I just haven't seen them used in years)

𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃𝓀𝓈 𝓉ℴ 𝓊𝓃𝒾𝒸ℴ𝒹ℯ, 𝓎ℴ𝓊 𝒹ℴ𝓃'𝓉 𝓃ℯℯ𝒹 𝒶 𝓈𝓅ℯ𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝒻ℴ𝓃𝓉 𝒻ℴ𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝓂ℴ𝓇ℯ.
𝖄𝕺𝖀 𝕮𝕬𝕹 𝕰𝖁𝕰𝕹 𝖂𝕽𝕴𝕿𝕰 𝕷𝕴𝕶𝕰 𝕿𝕳𝕴𝕾 𝕬𝕹𝕯 𝕸𝕬𝕶𝕰 𝕿𝕳𝕴𝕹𝕲𝕾 𝕽𝕰𝕬𝕷𝕷𝖄 𝕳𝕬𝕽𝕯 𝕿𝕺 𝕽𝕰𝕬𝕯!

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 am UTC

hotaru wrote:
djfly wrote:1) All of the "cursive" fonts. I remember in the Win 3.11 days, when many people used wordpad, I seem to remember a cursive font that got used CONSTANTLY. I find it hard enough to read cursive handwriting, never mind the computer generated ones. (I know there are still cursive fonts, I just haven't seen them used in years)

𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓃𝓀𝓈 𝓉ℴ 𝓊𝓃𝒾𝒸ℴ𝒹ℯ, 𝓎ℴ𝓊 𝒹ℴ𝓃'𝓉 𝓃ℯℯ𝒹 𝒶 𝓈𝓅ℯ𝒸𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝒻ℴ𝓃𝓉 𝒻ℴ𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝓎𝓂ℴ𝓇ℯ.
𝖄𝕺𝖀 𝕮𝕬𝕹 𝕰𝖁𝕰𝕹 𝖂𝕽𝕴𝕿𝕰 𝕷𝕴𝕶𝕰 𝕿𝕳𝕴𝕾 𝕬𝕹𝕯 𝕸𝕬𝕶𝕰 𝕿𝕳𝕴𝕹𝕲𝕾 𝕽𝕰𝕬𝕷𝕷𝖄 𝕳𝕬𝕽𝕯 𝕿𝕺 𝕽𝕰𝕬𝕯!

Block Block Block Block Block Block. I think I'm missing Unicode characters here
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 am UTC

djfly wrote:3) All serif fonts (I dislike the tails, I find them harder to read, especially when tired)

They are indeed harder to read on displays, but easier to read on paper.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
djfly wrote:3) All serif fonts (I dislike the tails, I find them harder to read, especially when tired)

They are indeed harder to read on displays, but easier to read on paper.

It seems to mostly boil down to typesetting though. Text in webbrowsers, and most GUI widgets appear to be typeset by howler monkeys, while say LaTeX is fully capable of generating quite readable seriffed text.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:It seems to mostly boil down to typesetting though. Text in webbrowsers, and most GUI widgets appear to be typeset by howler monkeys, while say LaTeX is fully capable of generating quite readable seriffed text.

To really get decent looking serifed fonts you also need to do things like replace "ffi", "ff", "fl" etc. with ligatures. Without ligatures these letter combinations tend to look quite bad in serifed fonts. So now you've actually changed the content of the text, which is fine for type-setting but it's unclear if this is really desirable for something like a webpage.

flying sheep

Postby flying sheep » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

firefox uses ligatures automatically.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

flying sheep wrote:firefox uses ligatures automatically.

Firefox has support for kerning and ligatures, but uses them quite sparsely by default.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
flying sheep wrote:firefox uses ligatures automatically.

Firefox has support for kerning and ligatures, but uses them quite sparsely by default.

Ah OK. I didn't know it had ligature support.

Mazuku

Postby Mazuku » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

The main proplem is that most people only use the fonts that came with whatever Windows OS their computer came with and that means that fonts such as Comic Sans MS will tend to end up way over used.

I, myself have downloads many different fonts including the many different Komika fonts for whatever suits the occassion.

If I do have to use a Mircosoft font, Trebuchet MS is pretty good and nowhere nearly as uverused as many of the MS fonts people have access to.

The one good thing about Comic Sans is that it's easier for dyslexics to read but non-the-less there are nicer dyslexic-friendly fonts out there, people should download those instead.

As a side note, Mircosoft should have released way more fonts with their software including more fancy and comic style fonts.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:45 am UTC

Ah, Splurge is superior.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
comicsans.png

This is from a slideshow part of an overview course in nanotechnology and nanoelectronics.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Oddly enough, that doesn't look all that bad. In fact, I find it more irritating that all the text isn't the same font.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “Religious Wars”