52%
Dark side
48%

Total votes: 132

spupy

Light side vs Dark side

Postby spupy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

Title says it all. :)

EDIT: ...or it doesn't. I'm talking about the Force. Jedi way vs Sith way.
Last edited by spupy on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Re: Light side vs Dark side

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

Dark side provided dark has nothing to do with evil. I mean Batman style.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

I dunno, light side/dark side seems a little black and white. I'd prefer any of the following options:

Amoral
Extreme side - don't care whether it's light or dark, just make sure whatever it is is taken as far as possible
Opportunistic side - I'll be light side until a good time to be dark side comes up, and when it starts to lose its luster I'll switch back to light side
Green side - I've sold my soul to the forest... and will wage war on its behalf
Impartial side - I avoid affecting the outcome of any conflict as much as I possibly can
Mortality side - I just hate it when people live forever
Small side - will go out of my way to throw a wrench in the plans of anyone who looks like they are getting too big

Edit: more sides
Balance side - if there is no evil to balance out the good, I need to step in
Posture side - sit up straight, you're slouching
Sane side - they called me crazy, but I am the only one who is truly sane
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

spupy

Postby spupy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Dark side provided dark has nothing to do with evil.

That is similar to my idea on the topic - that the dark side is not initially evil. It just has a different motivation and a different way to the goal. But these, most of the time, corrupt you (i.e. you become a Sith.)
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:15 am UTC

Darkside, because I always have trouble winning that award in Worms :-)

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 am UTC

Grey side ftw.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 am UTC

Light side, you selfish bastards.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Since this is in the analytical engines section, this could be about the two sides to theoretical CS:

Light Side = Finding algorithms with good asymptotic complexity
Dark Side = Proving a problem is hard

So approximation algorithms are used by those on the Light Side, while NP-completeness is a tactic commonly employed by the Dark Side.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Light side, you selfish bastards.

Well, that's why I brought up Batman. He's as selfless as it gets, dedicating a whole decade of his life to improving himself mentally and physically instead of using his parents inheritance to lead a normal life, all in the name of defending justice. Also he's quite a nice guy, not killing people and all. However he goes by Dark Knight; he's into the Dark side without a compromise in morality. That's the stance I'd prefer, edgy but moral.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 am UTC

I was thinking about what Palpatine said to Anikan in the opera house (as it were) about embracing a larger view of the force, not just the "dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi." On further analysis of that statement I began to think, if there are really two sides to the force, why not look at both? There's really no point in tuning out 50% of the force. But then I was thinking, "Why use the term 'bring balance to the Force' if balance would mean an equal amount on both sides?". What if using the Dark Side is really just like using cheats on a video game? That's the conclusion I came to. There really is only one side of the Force, but manipulation and corruption of the Force can lead to what we think of as the Dark Side. That being said, if you want a challenge in a video game you don't use cheats. The Sith aren't looking for a good fight though, they want to rule the Galaxy, so if you just want to win, without challenge, use cheats. That's why being Sith or at least using the Dark Side is more powerful than the Light Side.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:20 am UTC

According to the expanded universe books, the 'Dark Side' is simply being passionate in your approach to life(apparently a bad thing). So, I think Dark side for me then.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:56 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:According to the expanded universe books, the 'Dark Side' is simply being passionate in your approach to life(apparently a bad thing). So, I think Dark side for me then.

I agree. The light side is supposedly all good and happy, but Jedi have to give in to the pseudo-Buddhist suppression of emotion. The reason Anakin fell from the dark side was in part because he was in love and that wasn't cool with the Jedi. That seems wrong to me. On the other hand, the Jedi tend to be selfless and the Sith tend to be cruel and selfish, so I guess there are pros and cons either way. Still, if I had to choose I think I would have to go dark side.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:05 am UTC

I would say that anyone who thinks about this should look at these links:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Light_side
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force

Although it's slightly biased towards the light side, they are both useful to read. What I drew from them is that what separates the two sides of the Force lies in whether or not you are in control of your emotions. While a Darksider will let his passions and emotions control him, a Lightsider will control his emotions and passions. In this way, I would prefer to be on the Light Side.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

mal loup

Postby mal loup » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Well, to be honest, I believe there are little differences between the light and dark sides. When you get down to the nitty-gritty, both sides are a bunch of ruthless bastards.

For this specific reason, I choose the nonpartisan third party. HA!

EDIT: The pirates are better.

spupy

Postby spupy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

As a side note, the Light Side has a wider selection of lightsaber colours.

mal loup

Postby mal loup » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

spupy wrote:As a side note, the Light Side has a wider selection of lightsaber colours.

This is true, but the lightsabres of the dark-side cauterize better. I suppose this makes it an even trade-off.

Grokker

Postby Grokker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

Hey, there is no dark side!(or light for that matter).

To explain, I shall quote my favorite philosophizer on the subject(Vergere[slightly paraphrased from memory]): "The Force doesn't even have sides. If your release leads to slaughter and destruction, it is not because the Force has darkness in it, but because you do."

Seriously though, anyone who likes the Star Wars EU at all should read Traitor(NJO book, by Matthew Stover). It is among the best books(even non SW) ever.

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:01 am UTC

Grokker wrote:Seriously though, anyone who likes the Star Wars EU at all should read Traitor(NJO book, by Matthew Stover). It is among the best books(even non SW) ever.

I find it hard to believe that any piece of shared worlds fiction could ever rank within the top 100 works of fiction of all time. You must be on drugs.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:30 am UTC

OOPMan wrote:
Grokker wrote:Seriously though, anyone who likes the Star Wars EU at all should read Traitor(NJO book, by Matthew Stover). It is among the best books(even non SW) ever.

I find it hard to believe that any piece of shared worlds fiction could ever rank within the top 100 works of fiction of all time. You must be on drugs.

I always thought that I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole was up there somewhere.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

kittah

Postby kittah » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

hideki101 wrote:I would say that anyone who thinks about this should look at these links:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Light_side
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force

Although it's slightly biased towards the light side, they are both useful to read. What I drew from them is that what separates the two sides of the Force lies in whether or not you are in control of your emotions. While a Darksider will let his passions and emotions control him, a Lightsider will control his emotions and passions. In this way, I would prefer to be on the Light Side.

But on the dark side you embrace your passions. A lightsider really holds them back. The dark also had only strong Jedi. It took many light Jedi to confront one darksider. A darksider was never killed by some lame gun or anything. I argue that any lightsider could truly become better for the overall galaxy if they embraced their feelings.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

kittah wrote:But on the dark side you embrace your passions. A lightsider really holds them back. The dark also had only strong Jedi. It took many light Jedi to confront one darksider. A darksider was never killed by some lame gun or anything.

True, a darksider embraces their passions, but is that really that good? To me that just seems hedonistic and wasteful. Passions are good to give one a goal to strive for, but passions must be tempered with reason to insure that you are not consumed by them. Even if you believe there is no Light side or Dark side to the Force, the philosophy of each side still exists. To me, Darksiders are like addicts: unable to control themselves, killing and subjugating just to feed their thirst for power, throwing away the future for quick hits in the present. A true lightsider on the other hand, recognizes their passions, but uses reason see how to make the most of their passions for the greater good.

I argue that any lightsider could truly become better for the overall galaxy if they embraced their feelings.
From what I said above, I disagree. If a Jedi followed only their feelings, then their mindset wouldn't be "What would make the galaxy better?" It would be "What would make ME feel better?" At this point, I feel safe in saying that if there would be one word to characterize the Dark side, it would be "selfishness".

Also, how many dark Jedi have you seen? If you're only going by the movies, the only Sith Lords we've seen are Palpetine, Vader, and Dooku. The Emperor, the Chosen One, and one of the best lightsaber duelists in the Jedi Order before he turned. I'm not saying that they were weak, but these three people were arguably some of the strongest people during the time they were alive, even if they were Jedi (and the latter two were). Also part of the Sith Rule of Two was that the Master chose an apprentice that could surpass them, while the Jedi Order brought in every Force-sensitive being they could find. In this case, the Sith insured that they chose only the finest, while the Order had a wider array of competencies. Some Force incompetent, some merely bad, some good, and some absolutely fantastic masters. During the Sith Wars before the Rule of Two, both Light and Dark sides fielded large armies of force users, and the competency level of each side was pretty much even. I mean seriously, in KoTOR It's just as easy to waltz through a Dark side planet as either side of the Force. Light and Dark, neither one is stronger than the other, what matters is the Force-user's inborn talent and training.

(forgot to put Maul in the "List of Sith in the movies", but he must have been strong before Sith training else Palpetine wouldn't have chosen him in the first place.)

LuNatic wrote:
OOPMan wrote:

I always thought that I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole was up there somewhere.

And the Aaron Allston portion of the X-wing series (the one with the Wraiths) and pretty much anything written by Timothy Zahn. I don't judge a book based on how well it connects to other books, I judge it based on plot, and how it tells it. Sometimes it can get fairly powerful. The first time I ever cried reading a book was after Ton Phanan's death in Iron Fist.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

It should be pointed out that George Lucas himself understands a balanced Force to be a Force without the disruption of the Dark Side. Similarly, a balanced budget does not consist of efficient prioritization and massive waste in equal measure.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:05 am UTC

I'd have to go with the Aing-Tii view that the Force is more of a rainbow that just black and white. After all, they can make stuff teleport and disappear and travel through time and stuff. They know what they're talking about.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

Fireydragondreams

Postby Fireydragondreams » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Going back to the whole 'darksiders harness their emotion' thing... isn't Mace Windu described as doing something similar - like a controlled rage/anger or something (signified by his lightsaber colour - purple?) but he's one of the tougher lightsiders. Shame he got zapped by the emperor...

SpazzyMcGee

Postby SpazzyMcGee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

Staying true to my love of physics, I'm going with the light. It seems a lot offer more clarity even if the Jedi Order is pushy and restrictive.

It has nothing to do with morality, just that the Dark Side uses emotions which often cloud things.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:12 am UTC

Fireydragondreams wrote:Going back to the whole 'darksiders harness their emotion' thing... isn't Mace Windu described as doing something similar - like a controlled rage/anger or something (signified by his lightsaber colour - purple?) but he's one of the tougher lightsiders. Shame he got zapped by the emperor...

Bolded part for the key word there. The difference between a lightsider and a darksider is one of control; do you control your emotions or vice versa?

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:47 am UTC

hideki101 wrote:
Fireydragondreams wrote:Going back to the whole 'darksiders harness their emotion' thing... isn't Mace Windu described as doing something similar - like a controlled rage/anger or something (signified by his lightsaber colour - purple?) but he's one of the tougher lightsiders. Shame he got zapped by the emperor...

Bolded part for the key word there. The difference between a lightsider and a darksider is one of control; do you control your emotions or vice versa?

Isn't the Sith "thing" to master their emotions and use them? In other words, while the Sith control them, the Jedi pretend not to have them (except Mace).
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
hideki101 wrote:

Isn't the Sith "thing" to master their emotions and use them? In other words, while the Sith control them, the Jedi pretend not to have them (except Mace).

I figured that was the failure of the Jedi; they were actively scared of their emotions, and thus shut them out completely. If you look at the Jedi Code, Here's the original version:
Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

and the version that survives until now:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
(There is no chaos, there is harmony.)(*)
There is no death, there is the Force.

*this line is not always in the code

The difference is obvious. Besides, the question the OP posed is whether or not you would choose the Light Side or the Dark Side, not Jedi or Sith.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_code

Revan146

Postby Revan146 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

with the dark side you get to do whatever you want, it's a teens dream. Plus you don't have to bother with tesla coils

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Merely value does not a color make. You need hue and saturation as well.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:05 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Merely value does not a color make. You need hue and saturation as well.

You're reading Fate of the Jedi, aren't you? :D
ImageImage

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:41 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Merely value does not a color make. You need hue and saturation as well.

No, just being my regular smartass-self.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:46 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:

No, just being my regular smart assself.

Oh, because some weird alien people say something like that.
ImageImage

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:20 am UTC

Imagine an unelected, semi-secret organization that decided that it would control the senate. Senators that disagreed, disappeared. Due to constant assassinations and election riggings (to the point that the Senators from allied plants were actually monarchies), the senate was too weak and ill-equipped to deal with even the most pathetic of pirates. This organization "recruited" by kidnapping members at a young enough age so not only could they be completely indoctrinated, they would never have any memory of a life outside the organization. The organization crushed any emotion among its members; and love was considered the worst crime. The organization had perfected a form of mind control, to furth its aims. An opposing organization that believed in emotions was persecuted, and hunted to near extinction.

The opposing organization believed in embracing their humanity (alieanity?), and learning everything they could about being themselves, and making themselves stronger. Once in power, this organization finally brought peace to the places it controlled.

Now tell me, which side is evil?

hintss

Postby hintss » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 am UTC

grey (or is it gray?)

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:59 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Now tell me, which side is evil?

From Anakin's point of view, the Jedi are evil.
ImageImage

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:34 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Imagine an unelected, semi-secret organization that decided that it would control the senate. Senators that disagreed, disappeared. Due to constant assassinations and election riggings (to the point that the Senators from allied plants were actually monarchies), the senate was too weak and ill-equipped to deal with even the most pathetic of pirates. This organization "recruited" by kidnapping members at a young enough age so not only could they be completely indoctrinated, they would never have any memory of a life outside the organization. The organization crushed any emotion among its members; and love was considered the worst crime. The organization had perfected a form of mind control, to furth its aims. An opposing organization that believed in emotions was persecuted, and hunted to near extinction.

The opposing organization believed in embracing their humanity (alieanity?), and learning everything they could about being themselves, and making themselves stronger. Once in power, this organization finally brought peace to the places it controlled.

Now tell me, which side is evil?
You had me going there, until I read you username...

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 am UTC

notzeb wrote:Since this is in the analytical engines section, this could be about the two sides to theoretical CS:

Light Side = Finding algorithms with good asymptotic complexity
Dark Side = Proving a problem is hard

So approximation algorithms are used by those on the Light Side, while NP-completeness is a tactic commonly employed by the Dark Side.

I wonder what's a similar analogy for theoretical physics...

Return to “Religious Wars”