Linux or Windows or Mac OS? Mac or PC? An Interested Convert

Please compose all posts in Emacs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

xerkdaniels

Linux or Windows or Mac OS? Mac or PC? An Interested Convert

Postby xerkdaniels » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 am UTC

For the longest time I was a PC with Windows XP, because I had nothing to use as a means of comparison. Then came the now, when I take comp. sci classes in a computer lab with only macs. Here is the problem: I am thinking about buying a laptop(or a netbook), and already the thought of which OS to choose has played on loop in my head. So for all the OS Crusades out there looking for converts, spread your "divine" messages.

But there are three things I need in my new religion.

Cost-I have a job, but it ain't much. Anything that causes a grand total over $500 will be struck down as blasphemy.

Durability-The Dead Sea Scrolls survived for more than 1000 years. 'nough said.

Size-A lot of religions stem from Nomadic people, so the laptop(or netbook) should be fit for the life of a sheepherder. LOL that someone quoted the sheepherder part.

Everything else is arbitrary...

Post Scriptum:
On a side note, and maybe for a later date: Debian vs Fedora vs Red Hat vs Ubuntu

Post Post Scriptum:
Linux: +8
Window: +2
Mac:-1
Last edited by xerkdaniels on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:44 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.

lulzfish

Re: Linux or Windows or Mac OS? Mac or PC? An Interested Convert

Postby lulzfish » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:12 am UTC

xerkdaniels wrote:For the longest time I was a PC with Windows XP

And now you've achieved sentience! Congratulations!

Anyway, System76 has some decent laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. Their netbook is called the Starling and starts at $360: System76 Starling

It's good if you want to get started with Linux, or you could just get a Windows PC and add Ubuntu later.

I don't think you can get a Mac under $500, unless you get an iPod Touch, and those are not particularly suited for Computer Science use.

xerkdaniels

Postby xerkdaniels » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:59 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:
xerkdaniels wrote:For the longest time I was a PC with Windows XP

And now you've achieved sentience! Congratulations!

Anyway, System76 has some decent laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed. Their netbook is called the Starling and starts at $360: System76 Starling

It's good if you want to get started with Linux, or you could just get a Windows PC and add Ubuntu later.

I don't think you can get a Mac under $500, unless you get an iPod Touch, and those are not particularly suited for Computer Science use.

Curse Apple with its prices. We were once slaves in the land of Apple Inc and Linux set us free...
(I actually bought about 5 apps for the iPod touch, despite not owning one-and I still don't own one today).

So Linux+1, Ubuntu+1

failed assertion

Postby failed assertion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Operating systems all suck, so I just use a free one.

tekk

Postby tekk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:08 am UTC

GNU/Linux
Preferably gnewsense, but it'll be easy for a windows user like you to get into trisquel

pedal2000

Postby pedal2000 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Windows 7 has been (from the tech guys in my Universities Support department) making people very happy. So I'd vote that, mainly because if you're doing a multitude of random things with your laptop from gaming to programming, you'll always find some program, somewhere, that does it on Windows. Without running compatibility things. (IE: My University wisely invested in a couple hundred mac's only to run Windows XP on them all because a number of key programs they use for registration etc needed Windows to function.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

failed assertion wrote:Operating systems all suck, so I just use a free one.
lolwut? Ubuntu, while free, is still an operating system.

That said, I'll echo the suggestion to use Ubuntu. As mentioned, it's free and the distro is fairly newbie friendly. Debian which you mentioned is what Ubuntu is based off of, but it's not as noob friendly - it's better for after you've had some prior exposure to Linux. I don't have any real experience with Fedora or Red Hat so can't really comment.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:

Yeah...?
The point was that ALL operating systems suck, so you might as well use one that's free, which is Ubuntu.

Then again, if Macs aren't PCs, maybe Mac OS isn't really an operating system, and maybe Apple makes their computers out of magical fairy dust and not the silicon and shit that PCs are made of.

That last paragraph was sarcasm. It's part of my ongoing rant about Macs being a kind of Personal Computer and refusing to admit it, and abusing acronyms.

xerkdaniels

Postby xerkdaniels » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:15 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:
Qoppa wrote:

Yeah...?
The point was that ALL operating systems suck, so you might as well use one that's free, which is Ubuntu.

Then again, if Macs aren't PCs, maybe Mac OS isn't really an operating system, and maybe Apple makes their computers out of magical fairy dust and not the silicon and shit that PCs are made of.

That last paragraph was sarcasm. It's part of my ongoing rant about Macs being a kind of Personal Computer and refusing to admit it, and abusing acronyms.

I totally agree with you on the misuse of acronyms. But we don't really know who makes the computers for Microsoft (Intel ?!?)

+4 Linux +1 Windows

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

If you really can't decide, get a mac, install bootcamp, install windows, then install wubi.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Korandder
Location: LoadingReadyRun Australian Astrophysical Observatory

Postby Korandder » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

Except Macs are not cheep.

What software you plan on using should dictate what operating system you use.

xerkdaniels

Postby xerkdaniels » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:09 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:If you really can't decide, get a mac, install bootcamp, install windows, then install wubi.

Korandder wrote:Except Macs are not cheep.

What software you plan on using should dictate what operating system you use.

These are two conflicting ideas.
1. Get a mac install stuff to change the operating system.
2. Don't get a mac, they are expensive, get the one with the operating system based on software.

I will have to agree with two. Although macs look, and probably are, nice, they still are quite expensive.

adanedhel728

Postby adanedhel728 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Though I like Linux, I would actually suggest not making a sudden jump from Windows to Linux. It can cause some major problems. I personally love Linux, but I still use Windows far more.

I would say Windows 7. I have no personal experience with Macs, though.

ex-kgb

Postby ex-kgb » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Unlike what was said before me, I think the jump from Windows to Linux is one of the easiest. The vast majority of Linux users came from Windows (a result of Windows' continuing dominance over desktop market share) and for that reason all things make sense to a windows user where it is convenient. If you use a desktop like Ubuntu or SuSE then you'll have no problems.

I'd get something with ubuntu preinstalled, and it sounds like you'd like a netbook. DO NOT get a netbook with something like Xandros or Linpus preinstalled. I'll vote for System76, I've heard really good things about their laptops and durability. The price seems right too.

xerkdaniels

Postby xerkdaniels » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

adanedhel728 wrote:Though I like Linux, I would actually suggest not making a sudden jump from Windows to Linux. It can cause some major problems. I personally love Linux, but I still use Windows far more.

I would say Windows 7. I have no personal experience with Macs, though.
ex-kgb wrote:Unlike what was said before me, I think the jump from Windows to Linux is one of the easiest. The vast majority of Linux users came from Windows (a result of Windows' continuing dominance over desktop market share) and for that reason all things make sense to a windows user where it is convenient. If you use a desktop like Ubuntu or SuSE then you'll have no problems.

I'd get something with ubuntu preinstalled, and it sounds like you'd like a netbook. DO NOT get a netbook with something like Xandros or Linpus preinstalled. I'll vote for System76, I've heard really good things about their laptops and durability. The price seems right too.

GAAH contradiction!

But this is not the first time someone has mentioned System76, so I will look into them...
+1 Windows, +1 Linux

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

If you're getting a netbook with Linux pre-installed, just download whichever distro (or, hell, try a few) you want and install it out of the box. This assumes you have another machine to install an ISO onto a USB drive or SD card (although you could theoretically do it on the netbook itself provided it has enough space). This is what I did with my eee 900A.

PerPer

Postby PerPer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

I myself is thinking of buying a small notebook, maybe a HP pavilion d2, not sure though. I'm thinking of installing both xp/windows 7 and linux. But do I have to install linux first or can I directly install linux on a separate partition?
"If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves." - Douglas Adams

To bad you can only use 255 characters, otherwise I would write somethin

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

Dunno about Win7, but with XP, I had no trouble installing on a separate partition.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:07 am UTC

If you're not into games, give Linux a try. Be patient. Don't be afraid to break the OS and reinstall a couple of times. I know it seems like bad advice, but I've been using Linux for a bit over a year only and I feel pretty comfortable with it because I have seen what can go wrong. The best thing about Linux in this regard (breaking it) is that if you keep a backup of your "home" folder on an external disk, you only need to drop the backup back on the hard drive and it's like you never formatted/reinstalled. This even works sometimes between distributions, though you need to be careful about some config files.
I started off with Ubuntu 8.10 (last year's October release) but now I'm using Fedora 11 (just wanted to see another flavour). If you're starting on Linux, go Ubuntu. The community and support alone is worth it. Ubuntu is the gateway distribution to Linux and the community is well aware of that. They tolerate noob-questions (but not stupid questions of course) and there are many guides and tutorials written in Windows lingo.

I especially urge you to try Linux since you're into computer science. It's not that the OS is designed with CS in mind, it's mostly one of those stereotyped views of the type of people who use it (e.g., graphic design and animation is best done on a Mac - or at least that's the view a lot of people had last decade). Either way, Linux feels like it's programming oriented. The command line is versatile, the pre-installed text editors have syntax highlighting, you get pre-installed compilers, etc. Also, if cost is an issue it's a natural choice.

MacOS used to be about the hardware as well as the software. Now that the hardware is the same as any other PC, the costs can only be justified by the OS, which is just another POSIX system (maybe "just another" is a bit harsh, but you get the idea).

Sorry if this post is getting really long but if you're at a university, maybe you could see if they can give you a student Windows key. Most unis I know do that but not many ask for it or bother. They key might have an expiration date but it's still worth a try. At my uni now I get my own account to MSDN-AA, which gives me free licenses for all Windows OS + most other Microsoft products (except MS Office for some reason).
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

achilleas.k wrote:I especially urge you to try Linux since you're into computer science. It's not that the OS is designed with CS in mind, it's mostly one of those stereotyped views of the type of people who use it (e.g., graphic design and animation is best done on a Mac - or at least that's the view a lot of people had last decade). Either way, Linux feels like it's programming oriented. The command line is versatile, the pre-installed text editors have syntax highlighting, you get pre-installed compilers, etc. Also, if cost is an issue it's a natural choice.

Your intuition is more accurate than you seem to think. Linux is a clone of Unix, and Unix was originally designed to be a programming environment first and foremost.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Agreed, shieldforyoureyes. I just try to avoid being absolute in saying it's programming, or CS, oriented since all OS these days try to converge towards a "daily use" system but inevitably stay true to their legacy.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 am UTC

achilleas.k wrote:Agreed, shieldforyoureyes. I just try to avoid being absolute in saying it's programming, or CS, oriented since all OS these days try to converge towards a "daily use" system but inevitably stay true to their legacy.

Yeah, the desktop environment level is designed to be very general purpose.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Yeah, the desktop environment level is designed to be very general purpose.

On the other hand, stuff like this are all over the place.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:23 am UTC

achilleas.k wrote:
shieldforyoureyes wrote:Yeah, the desktop environment level is designed to be very general purpose.

On the other hand, stuff like this are all over the place.

Ha. True, although I'm personally in the former camp on that one. (Er... not that I like linux, but I care a lot more about my compute cluster than my desktop.)

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:52 am UTC

The only thing I seem to dislike about ubuntu is that I havnt been able to get my wifi card to work. I can get internet with ethernet and its not a big deal because I use windows 7 for the most part because I need programs. I also am not very good at computers, upgrading/a little command prompt is all I can really do. Since your computer science I have a feeling ubuntu is fine for you.
IMO
Ubuntu, Windows 7, Mac OS are all really good. Macs are really fun to use but the expense makes them not really worth it. Windows 7 is good if it comes preinstalled or you can get it for cheap with your university. Ubuntu is free but might involve some playing around to get it connected.
(this is all from personal uses)
these are words
type, type, type

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Preamble: Asus eee pc 1000he upgraded to 2Gb RAM.

I recently switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.10. I mainly switched for the free music production software, and planned to mostly use XP/switch to Linux when I wanted to do some recording.

SCREW THAT.

Ubuntu is much faster on my machine than XP, boots 30 seconds faster (or more.. I don't know.) It feels faster, runs smoother. Out of the box, I have smart CPU scaling, making for improved battery life, my wifi card works wonderfully (switched to wicd because it's much nicer), and I can get anything I want through packages.

I personally like the 1000he, I would recommend it if you're looking for a netbook. It did cost me about $400 CAD though. You might be better off getting a 13"-14" laptop pre-installed with Windows 7, and then dual boot.

#1 Tip: Try out your computer before you buy it. Type a lot. Use the trackpad. This is why I didn't get the eee pc 900 (uncomfortable to type on) or an Aspire One (I hate their trackpad).

Good luck in your quest :)

Edit: +1 Linux/Ubuntu.
re: durability: So far, no problems with it, I've had it since June 2009.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 am UTC

LongLiveTheDutch wrote:Ubuntu is much faster on my machine than XP, boots 30 seconds faster (or more.. I don't know.) It feels faster, runs smoother. Out of the box, I have smart CPU scaling, making for improved battery life, my wifi card works wonderfully (switched to wicd because it's much nicer), and I can get anything I want through packages.

I just started dual booting XP and Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago and I've pretty much abandoned XP. Ubuntu does boot up quite a bit faster for me. I don't know if Windows 7 would be comparable to Ubuntu in terms of start up speed but I don't think my laptop could handle Windows 7 without an upgrade. I like being able to boot up XP if I need to since sometimes I need to use some proprietary software in XP that doesn't work well with WINE though.

I had a macbook for a while and I really liked it. It was easy to use and the programs preloaded were actually useful. But they are quite expensive... I bought mine off of a friend for $100 so I would have been crazy to not have try it out.

I would recommend giving some linux distro a try. If you're willing to put in a little bit of work and enjoy playing around I think you'd really get something out of it.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Dason wrote:I just started dual booting XP and Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago and I've pretty much abandoned XP. Ubuntu does boot up quite a bit faster for me. I don't know if Windows 7 would be comparable to Ubuntu in terms of start up speed but I don't think my laptop could handle Windows 7 without an upgrade. I like being able to boot up XP if I need to since sometimes I need to use some proprietary software in XP that doesn't work well with WINE though.

I dual boot Fedora and Win7, but I only have Win7 for connecting my lappy to the TV and watching a movie through Windows Media Centre for which I have a remote. Can't really do much else with it since it's an old laptop and it can barely take the OS with a couple of proggies running.
When I really need some Windows piece of software to check something I just run Windows XP in VirtualBox through Linux. So yeah basically my laptop has 3 operating systems installed on, in some form or another.
If I didn't want the Media Centre thing I'd just stick to VirtualBox. It's really much easier for not rebooting whenever you need to do some quick work, but you'll need a bit of extra RAM for it to be usable.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

I got sick of Vista on Sunday, downloaded Ubuntu 9.10, installed it and I haven't looked back really.

Let's see things I like about it.

Firstly I'm going to rant about Vista.

Now as a prelude to this rant I'm just going to throw my specs out there. 2.0 GHZ centrino dual core. Nvidia 9600GS 512 MB, 3GB ram, 200GB hd space (pre partitioned into 2 100GB drives, one with Vista installed). I wouldn't expect it to run something like Crysis but I don't think CS:S would be asking too much.

Firstly it is so fucking slow. Secondly sound fucks up royally whenever I have two applications using sound, this might not seem like a huge deal but I spend a quite a bit of time in teamspeak or vent playing games with some fairly good friends so it's a bit of a bummer when I can't hear them or the game properly. had to give that up since I've been here at uni (everything's blocked =[ ). And I know that it wasn't my sound card because I still had the same problem with a USB headset. 720p and above media files would skip half the frames in any media player I cared to try. It keeps disconnecting from the internet. Any Steam game or any game produced in the two years before I brought it would not run well, even in lowest settings. Firefox kept not working. All in all it sucked.

Ubuntu on the other runs fast, seems perfectly capable of running 720p mkv files (don't even need to bother with VLC to do it, though I installed it anyway), comes up with a whole load of programs (including open office, why did I (I meaning parents) pay for Microsoft office again?) which I don't remember Microsoft thinking to pack, at worst they just needed to be found in the synaptics package manager. It loads up very quickly. I apparently don't need to worry about virus's so I'm not. Can't exactly say whether or not games run well since they're all at home but we'll see. It never seems to crash or disconnect. Can play audio from two programs simultaneously. All in all it's a dream and since it only cost me a single disc and the ink I used to mark it I think I got a pretty good deal.

Of course Windows 7 might be better and so might whatever Mac has just come out with but I doubt the former is worth paying £30 more (student offer) and I highly doubt the latter is worth more either.

Also while I was typing this I went to steampowered.com, downloaded steam and opened it with wine, it's now installed with barely a brain cell used. Can't actually log in but that's the university block not Ubuntu. I know it would have been just as simple in windows but that's just an aside for people who tell me wine is hard to use. It's not.

TL;DR, +1 Linux. Even if you decide it's shit it'll have cost you nothing.

Don't take that as a +1 for Ubuntu because I've only used 1 distro, the others might be better still.

Of course I have only been using it since Sunday so it's still got that "wow I haven't fucked it up yet" feel, I'm fairly sure I didn't like Vista when I started using it though.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

I belong in the 1% of the Earth's population who actually enjoyed Vista while I had it. :P
Seriously, I have no complaints from that OS. I actually hated the Vista Network Manager at first, but after I got used to it I was fine.

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 am UTC

I bought my laptop two years ago pre-installed with Vista, which I did not really want but I had no real choice. I struggled for a while to put Ubuntu on it but eventually I succeeded (Ubuntu 7.04 btw). I still kept using Vista for most of the time, though. When Vista started to run slower I slowly switched to Ubuntu. Despite officially not even being supported anymore it was far more useful to me than Vista. Some months ago I re-installed Vista, and in the process lost access to Ubuntu. That pointed me to a clear reason why transitioning from Windows to Linux is easier than the other way around: in Ubuntu I could access my Windows ntfs partitions, while Windows cannot read Linux's ext3/ext4 filesystem. Anyway, I now installed Kubuntu 9.10, and it works great although maybe Gnome would have been slightly better for me.

Oh, btw Linux +1.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:44 am UTC

I definitely am much more of a Gnome fan than KDE. Gnome just feels... cleaner.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Isaac356

Postby Isaac356 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

I downloaded Ubuntu about a year ago and have been Vista-free ever since :)

First of all, I love the package management. Installing and removing things through apt-get is so useful; I don't even like using automated installers (sh scripts, whatever, ...) anymore. If it's not in the repository, I don't usually install it (and there is a lot of programs in the repository).

Second, I've been using Gnome for a very long time, and only recently switched to KDE, but I like it. It's really taken an effort to follow the footsteps of Vista and Mac with it's support for widgets. That's not to say that it's bad, in the sense that Vista and Mac are, just more user-friendly and aimed toward the common user. I will agree that Gnome is cleaner; I just started to feel that my desktop was too empty after a while :)

I like to think that everyone in the Comp.Sci field should have at least some Linux experience, what better excuse than a new netbook?

The only other Linux distros I've ever used are Slackware (lack of repository system, I think), openSUSE(kept crashing), and Debian(also good, but Ubuntu is better).

It might also be worth mentioning that I underclock my CPU to 800Mhz, since my computer likes to overheat very easily. Ubuntu runs about as fast (for me) as Vista did at 1.8Ghz. So, for those who complain about Vista bloat, I feel you.

Just my two cents.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

class Foo
  def x
    return 1
  end
  def bar
    puts x
    x = 0 if false
    puts x
    x = 2
    puts x
  end
end

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+PgDown

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Until last year, the only thing I knew was Windows. Apple is basically non-existent in Argentina, and until a few years ago I hadn't seen an apple store in my life. (there wasn't any)...I don't know in professional environments, but I can tell you that when it comes to personal computers, over here there is nothing but windows (in all my life, Ive only seen one MacOS, and I suspect that the owner had it because he had some kind of deal with apple - this was around the time I saw an apple store for the first time. IPhones weren't here yet, but he had one...almost sure that it was something work-related.

As for Linux, I really don't know anyone at all that has ever used it...except me. Last year, my old, inherited computer died of old age and I got a new, shiny computer, with a silver sticker on it: "vista". After some months, it hit me. It sucked. At first, it seemed kind of cool, but, after the McAfee told me I had to pay to keep it, and after installing stuff and visiting some websites...the true face of Vista appeared, and it wasn't pretty.

So, Now I have Ubuntu...it's been hard, starting over, but I can already tell it's worth it. Still, people laugh when I say "ubuntu"...they think it's some kind of joke...maybe they don't know there's something outside windows (I didn't)

+1 Linux
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

tekk

Postby tekk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

GNU/Linux, specifically Trisquel. the single bar without the KDE weirdness will be easy for you to get used to

Woegjiub

Postby Woegjiub » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:40 am UTC

xerkdaniels wrote:Cost-I have a job, but it ain't much. Anything that causes a grand total over $500 will be struck down as blasphemy.

That rules out any Apple computers, then.

xerkdaniels wrote:Durability-The Dead Sea Scrolls survived for more than 1000 years. 'nough said.

xerkdaniels wrote:Size-A lot of religions stem from Nomadic people, so the laptop(or netbook) should be fit for the life of a sheepherder.

xerkdaniels wrote:Post Scriptum:
On a side note, and maybe for a later date: Debian vs Fedora vs Red Hat vs Ubuntu

Red Hat is for businesses.
Debian is the most stable desktop, but it's also the most outdated in terms of software.
Ubuntu is a happy medium, it's very stable but enjoys the newest software.
Fedora is quite stable - the least of the three though, it's a testing ground for red hat, and as such will have the newest, shiniest software of the 3.

For anybody looking into linux, I cannot recommend KUBUNTU (yes, with a K for KDE) highly enough.
KDE is simply beautiful, fast, cusomisable and the most fully-featured desktop available, anywhere.
Gnome is ugly, old, uncustomisable and slow - if you're after speed, go for LXDE.

It all really depends on what you want.

If you game, you're best off with Windows 7 - while it lacks many features of KDE, it supports games and is genuinely wonderful to use.

If you don't game, Kubuntu is simply the best operating system available, because the interface is so nice, it has plenty of excellent software installed by default, and literally tens of thousands of free programs available through the add/remove dialogue and even more in the PPA.
If you want a computer customised perfectly, to behave exactly how you imagine, and arrange everything so that it's exactly as it should be, Kubuntu is the way.
It has the best GUI text editor (Kate), as well as Open Office and the K-Office suite, which includes The closest thing to a free photoshop - Krita.
The video editors are great, and the unified look+feel of the KDE desktop ensures that anything from KDE blends perfectly in and feels great.
It has the best IM and Audio player available (Kopete+AmaroK), a great terminal emulator (Konsole), webcam apps, emulators, etc... all blended into the KDE style, which is entirely up to you as to whether you're after a futuristic, shiny look ahead of even Win7 and OSX, or an older look, or... anything.
The torrent client is the best I've used, and so forth.... almost everything made by KDE is the best of its kind (excepting web browser, and of course the professional apps like photoshop/vegas pro etc)

Really, just grab a netbook with Windows 7 on it, and dualboot with linux.
Try out a few different flavours of *buntu (try out ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu and lubuntu) to see which DE you like, and have a play with it.
You should love it.
If it turns out you don't need windows 7, it's as simple as:
1) opening up the add/remove tool,
2) searching for "partition",
3)clicking the plus sign,
4)opening up what you installed from the main menu
5)selecting the win7 partition, clicking delete,
6)selecting the linux home partition, clicking expand to all,
7)hitting apply.
You'll find most things in linux are just that easy.

Rich_Roast

Postby Rich_Roast » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

If the OP is prepared to go second hand it may be possible to obtain a Mac for under five hundred bucks judging by a quick browse I just did on eBay.

If the OP is interested in giving Linux a whirl my own recommendation would be Linux Mint, which is geared towards new users and has a pretty supportive community. It's worth noting that the distro on the Live CD need not be installed to hard drive so may be safely tested (same goes for most modern GNU/Linux distros now). The transition from Mint 7 to 8 was a bit of a shambles in a few areas but then the same could be said for Ubuntu upgrades and many users were not affected by the specific problems at all, but it's still worth exercising caution.

I think it's unfair, without some sort of back up, to slam Gnome as "ugly, old, uncustomisable and slow", particularly since the first, third and fourth statements are untrue (the fourth, at least, on a reasonably modern machine - Gnome positively zips along on my six year old laptop), and the the second point irrelevant - KDE isn't a spring puppy and both DEs are under pretty active development right now. I'd advise the OP to give both a whirl - I'm pretty sure the choice is a personal one and that's part of what using GNU/Linux is about - choice. Fluxbox and xfce are also worth a look as faster, lighter options too, the latter particularly since it's name sounds vaguely like xkcd, I suppose.

"You'll find most things in linux are just that easy," is a very brave statement. Because distros and software are for the main part under active and constant development, bugs are introduced at a rate approximate to their being fixed. From problems with the bootloader to the sound infrastructure to 3D acceleration to webcam compatibility to halt and catch fire difficulties when playing Flash content (may Adobe burn in flames), there are a plethora of potential problems. If the OP does decide to go with a Linux distro they would be well advised to check out the message boards first as well as reading the release notes (seriously, don't skip that), to check for possible hardware issues at least, and also to make sure that software really is available for all they want to achieve. For example, CMYK was until recently a bit of a problem for anyone into art design for professional printers (which the OP might be disinterested about but it's still worth checking there's software for everything they actually do want to do). Also, the bigger apps common on GNU/Linux (GIMP, OpenOffice, Mozilla whatever...) are available as Windows packages too, so the OP can install them on Windows and give them a try first (although given the ability to test Linux from the Live CD - these packages will be available "out of the box" on most distros - this is probably unnecessary).

It's probably safer to advocate GNU/Linux for reasons of freedom, choice, core stability and security, efficiency and plain good fun rather than on the basis of ease of use.

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 am UTC

Rich_Roast wrote:"You'll find most things in linux are just that easy," is a very brave statement.

When in doubt, sudo apt-get install "anything-imaginable". Free. If that ain't easy then slap my ass and call me Jobs.

For me, Ubuntu "just works" almost 90% of the time without even considering what hardware it's on. Windows is usually pretty close, but i've had issues where some windows services just don't talk to the drivers correctly, resulting in weird bugs with no explanation. In fact, i typically use an Ubuntu live cd to verify that hardware isn't broken, since ubuntu can connect wifi without special configuration. discrete graphics and audio/webcams are still hit and miss, but the core functionality never fails. I can count on one hand the number of times i've seen ubuntu crash (not counting bad ram).

But, if you like games (aside from WoW, which has excellent support in WINE), i recommend sticking with windows. Mac is in the same boat, nothing really emulates directx, and opengl is getting rarer in blockbusters games.

With Chrome recently being released for linux though, i find i do most of my computing on my Ubuntu laptop, especially since i've gotten back into java/c coding--its just so easy to download/install codeblocks and a compiler.

I would avoid Mac's, besides the expense, the interface is more flashy than really useful. I personally despise the unified menu bar. For windows compatability laters, you get the same wine support as linux, with fewer tools to make it work.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

Serje

Re: Linux or Windows or Mac OS? Mac or PC? An Interested Con

Postby Serje » Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Mac - the best notebook I ever have.
My first notebook was ASUS. After ASUS was DELL.
Then after three years I bought MAC and I use it every day. It's wonderful!

zmatt

Re: Linux or Windows or Mac OS? Mac or PC? An Interested Con

Postby zmatt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

My day job is IT and I have to recommend Dell for laptops. My favorite laptop make is Lenovo, but they tend to be pricey. Dells are not flashy and they wont really impress you, but what they will be is great value for money. They will last forever, and are very easy to work on. Also if you want to go the linux route Dells tend to use Intel wifi chipsets which have a better success ratio with Linux than broadcom. Also just as a warning with linux a bunch of things on the laptop wont work. The media keys may not be mapped, the sound may give you issues, Ive seen built in mics not function, wifi of course and the enhanced power saving options may be broken. Most modern laptops that did not ship with Linux in my experience are limited to on and standby and have iffy wifi.

For ease of use and setup I recommend win 7, but if you are cool with setting up linux and save money then I recommend Ubuntu, its about the easiest distro out there.

EDIT:

Also avoid macs, I had a powerbook and the damn thing fell apart. Not to mention setting your lap on fire.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Return to “Religious Wars”