Flight sims only
43%
Never
34%

Total votes: 391

achilleas.k

Gamers: The inverted Y-axis poll

Postby achilleas.k » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:22 am UTC

It's been done a million times on a million forums, so it has to be done here too.
I belong to the minority of always inverting the mouse Y-axis.
To me, pushing the mouse forward means I have to look down, pulling it back, towards you must make the the camera look up. That's what makes sense to me.

Some people accept it as a matter of opinion, others think the logic is WRONG and that people who do it aren't human.

As a side-note however, I present you the following quote from Wikipedia:
After id Software's Doom, the game that popularized FPS games but which did not support vertical aiming with a mouse (the y-axis served for forward/backward movement), competitor 3D Realms' Duke Nukem 3D became one of the first games that supported using the mouse to aim up and down. It and other games using the Build engine had an option to invert the Y-axis. The "invert" feature actually made the mouse behave in a manner that users now regard as non-inverted (by default, moving mouse forward resulted in looking down). Soon after, id Software released Quake, which introduced the invert feature as users now know it. Other games using the Quake engine have come on the market following this standard, likely due to the overall popularity of Quake.

I guess since Duke Nukem 3D was one of the first FPS games I played more than 10 times through and since I used the mouse to aim on occasion (when you had to shoot certain objects that required careful aim), it might be the reason I use the mouse the way I do.

So how many inverters do we have here?
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

masher

Re: Gamers: The inverted Y-axis poll

Postby masher » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I invert.

It's the same as acft; push forward, plane go down. Pull back, plane go up.
Last edited by masher on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I used to always invert the Y axis, both for mouselook and also on consoles (on the rare occasion I had access to an FPS on a console)... but then I spent a few years not playing any FPSes, and when I came back to them, not-inverted felt more better, in both cases. I haven't played a flight sim in years (well, unless Descent counts, I haven't played a flight sim ever), I'm not sure which direction would feel more right if I was to pick one up right now, but I think it'd still be inverted. Almost certainly inverted if I was playing with a gamepad, which I probably would.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 am UTC

I picked "never invert", since the only one I'd invert for is a flight sim, and I have a perfectly good joystick if I want to play one of those.

Other than that, my mouse behaves as it does outside of games: pushing forward makes the cursor go up, except that in an FPS the cursor is locked in the center of the screen so the view goes up also.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Inversion.

I deliberately, if I'm playing a game someone else has started [Or using their profile], immediately go to the options menu, look for inverted-y-axis, and make it yes.

I used to play SU-27 and Cyberia/Descent [Freeware], and Descent 3, but I think Halo for PC solidified it; that is, that the Banshee flying is akin to SU-27.

The only game I haven't played alot and happens to be the exception to prove the rule is Goldeneye 007; that's in part because the C-arrows are indicative of the direction, and it's not the flat-arrow deal.

I think what's part of why I do this, beyond practise, is the idea that it's like leaning your back - when you lean it forwards, you look down; when you lean backwards, you look up. Same with the neck and head tilting. It's just a natural mapping.
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

00Davo

Postby 00Davo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Non-inverted.

I play a lot of Garry's Mod. When you're carrying an object in GMod, moving the mouse up should send the object up. So I play GMod non-inverted, and thus everything else also non-inverted. Although I've never really played a flight sim, where it really makes a difference.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

Certainly for the last several years on PC first person items I've gone for non-inverted aim. I think I may have gone with inverse back in the mists of time when I started out on UT classic, but can't identify when I phased out.
Console FPS' I've used frequently - Metroid Prime 1 & 2, 007 Nightfire on the Gamecube - those I'm pretty sure I stuck with inverse aim.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Hell no.

For flying games, avoid mice. Inverse aim is not needed. The direction you are wanting to go is approximately normal to the stick itself, in the direction you are pushing. With a mouse...no, no, no.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

The results are strikingly balanced. Usually the non-inverters are 3-4 times more than the inverters. Even if we count the flight-only as non-inverters it's still not that bad. Then again, our sample isn't really that big.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science -the one that heralds new discoveries- is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny...". - Isaac Asimov

Spade

Postby Spade » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

I don't invert. It just seems backwards to me. When I was playing Jack and Daxter on PS2 I had to play inverted and that really messed me up.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Related question: in third-person games, should moving the mouse/stick left (a) look left, or (b) move the camera left (thus looking right)?

When I was playing through Psychonauts, I had to keep changing this one way or the other, 'cause neither way really felt right...

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Though I can understand the option for left-right being inverted as well, I never played that way. The mouse movement can be thought of as going forward-back thus the translation to up-down having two ways to think about it. The left right-movement is a bit clearer though.
The left right thing might fit a similar logic (now that I think about it a bit more) if you imagine that you're controlling a camera that is centred on the character (kinda like the target lock function in Ocarina of Time, where by moving right you made the camera rotate left).

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Inverted Y axis is the only way to play. All other methods are false.

X-axis… Man, I dunno. I always end up confusing myself, just because games are so inconsistent on whether left means look left or move camera left. I'm gonna go with "whatever the default was in Metal Gear Solid 3", because I know I firmly taught myself which way it worked for that game (being confused about it kept getting me killed).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 am UTC

Invert Nothing. It's easier that way. I can understand how people can live with inverting it on a console, with the joysticks and all, but with Mice, oh god no. As for that camera, the same logic applies:

If I move the mouse left, I want to look left, and if I move the mouse up, I want to look up. Deciding that I'm going to be moving my point of view in a spherical fashion around some arbitrary axis (and on only one axis, even! euuggghh) just makes things more complicated than they need to be.

No inversion!

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:Invert Nothing. It's easier that way. I can understand how people can live with inverting it on a console, with the joysticks and all, but with Mice, oh god no. As for that camera, the same logic applies:

If I move the mouse left, I want to look left, and if I move the mouse up, I want to look up. Deciding that I'm going to be moving my point of view in a spherical fashion around some arbitrary axis (and on only one axis, even! euuggghh) just makes things more complicated than they need to be.

No inversion!

Just to be clear, we don't do it because we're weirdos and want to do it the hard way, or we set it that way on principle because we're on a crusade to rid the world of illogical practices. It's just how our hand reacts to a the thought of "look up!". It's like the sensitivity of the mouse in any game. You don't force yourself to get used to high or low sensitivity, you set it to the value that makes you feel comfortable and best fits your unconscious (subconscious? Maybe "reflex" would make more sense) reaction. Some people feel it's best to do a 360 turn by moving the mouse 1 inch to the side, others feel it's appropriate to run out of space and lift the mouse to make a full turn.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:29 am UTC

achilleas.k wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Invert Nothing. It's easier that way. I can understand how people can live with inverting it on a console, with the joysticks and all, but with Mice, oh god no. As for that camera, the same logic applies:

No inversion!

Just to be clear, we don't do it because we're weirdos and want to do it the hard way, or we set it that way on principle because we're on a crusade to rid the world of illogical practices. It's just how our hand reacts to a the thought of "look up!". It's like the sensitivity of the mouse in any game. You don't force yourself to get used to high or low sensitivity, you set it to the value that makes you feel comfortable and best fits your unconscious (subconscious? Maybe "reflex" would make more sense) reaction. Some people feel it's best to do a 360 turn by moving the mouse 1 inch to the side, others feel it's appropriate to run out of space and lift the mouse to make a full turn.

Oh, I do know, I played FPS's with it inverted quite a bit years back, but then after quite the hiatus I switched, and I ended up playing better than I ever had before. I just seem to work better that way. It just frustrates me when developers can't make up their minds and come up with some standard. (especially about the camera moving left/right in 3rd person games) And I think everyone agrees that it's even worse when games don't give you the option to change it at all x.x

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:40 am UTC

Not having the option is a BITCH! I don't really mind it when the default is the other way around, though I haven't seen that happen in a while.
While on the subject of mouse options, I also can't understand why games of the year 2009 still fail to detect more than 3 mouse buttons. I was probably the last gamer on earth to get a 5 button mouse and I got my first one 2-3 years ago. It's not that it's impossible to assign keys to my buttons for in-game support, it's just one of those things that some devs don't really pay attention to and should be there by default by now.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:41 am UTC

I cut my gaming teeth on flight sims when I was younger. Pentium II box with a joystick! I beat it into my head there that you pull back to look up, and push forward to look down. I have never been able to play any kind of game non-inverted since. Not with a gamepad, not with a full joystick, not even with a mouse. Non-inverted just feels counter-intuitive for me. I can remember when I started playing flight sims I was the opposite, but...I guess you are impressionable at that age, because it seems I managed to completely and permanently reverse my instinct on that one.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Sana

Postby Sana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:39 am UTC

I don't play PC games, but in every console game I require Y-axis inversion.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 am UTC

I use inversion on the console, but not on the PC.
Last edited by BlackSails on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:08 am UTC

For me up is up and down is down. Anything else is just crazy :P

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:For me up is up and down is down. Anything else is just crazy :P

Hey, up is up and down is down for me as well. It's just up/down for the camera, rather than for the sight-direction arrow coming out the front of my head.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Robstickle wrote:For me up is up and down is down. Anything else is just crazy :P

Hey, up is up and down is down for me as well. It's just up/down for the camera, rather than for the sight-direction arrow coming out the front of my head.

Does that hold for first-person games also?
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:06 am UTC

No, because there the camera *is* my head.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Inverted Y axis is the only way to play. All other methods are false.

You seem to have inverted your statement. I take it this is to poke fun at people who use inverted Y-axis.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

Nah, I just wasn't thinking of all possibilities at the time. I've been playing several third-person games recently, so the camera-as-a-thing-floating-outside-of-you was heavy in my thinking.

Camera outside of you = invert both axes
Camera in your head = don't invert either axis

All other methods are false.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Real men play with their monitor upside-down.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Left thumb inverted, right thumb default.

I got this from Mario and Zelda 64 (the joystick was left-handed). Can't play it any other way.
Hat me, bro

Isaac356

Postby Isaac356 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

I casted a vote as inverted, but in actuality, I'm only inverted on a console. On the PC, I use normal controls.

Isn't that funny:
Halo 3: Inverted
Half-Life 2: Non-Inverted

Not sure why, but that joystick seems to make a difference...

Also, I don't really play any flight simulators, but I seem to remember that old console FPSs (like for PS One) were inverted only. Maybe that's how I got onto it.

Semi-Related: (Halo 3) Bumper Jumper FTW.
Spoiler:

class Foo
  def x
    return 1
  end
  def bar
    puts x
    x = 0 if false
    puts x
    x = 2
    puts x
  end
end

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+PgDown

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Only for piloting or driving vehicles, optional for in-vehicle free-look, but not manned guns (e.g. tailgunner or tank gunner).

People who FPS with inverted y-axis are weird.
Death is permission to open freely as love.

Pinky's Brain

Postby Pinky's Brain » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Inverted y-axis.

As for rationalization ... to look down at large angles I move my head forward, to look up at large angles I move my head backward. (Started out playing flight sims though, so that might be a bigger contributor, but still I think the rationalization has some merit.)

dohbaby

Postby dohbaby » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:40 am UTC

ROFL. Pointless to say which is right or wrong... has to do with interpretation, none is more or less natural as such. Although on a personal sidenote, non-inverted is just weird [people].

Inverted obviously. Either way, Any game with viewing options should always keep both as an option. If they can't do that in this day an age, I wanna pjuke in their f**** poor talentless faces ^^

To give an example, in Bulgaria people nod their head to say no and shake it say yes.... so 'inverted' from most other countries... it's about what we get grown used to. Now, I also noticed with many of mybulgarian friends, they due to this, have inverted x-axis.

But not just developers of games, to be honest, if it's a big deal on the gfx engine programming then just leave it at whatever they feel for (I wouldn't really give a s***), It is MOUSE DRIVER DEVS which should by now lol , them gits after all these years, with fancy buttons and scrolls now, should ALWAYS have a hotkey /option for inverting both axis or one of the two indepedently. If that is a problem for them I gotta say L O L.

More times than not , I feel the 'professional world' is just so full of amateurs.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

I'm one of the flight simulation only inverted gamers. For FPS I have to do up is up and down is down, otherwise I get confused. It's probably because I've done it for so long. However, I can only do flight sims with an inverted axis. Otherwise, it just won't make sense to me. Maybe it's because I fly model airplanes and my dad was a pilot.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Inverted on a joystick, normal on mouse/thumbstick/anything else. I think it's because I control a joystick with my wrist, but the other controls I tend to rely on different muscles.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 am UTC

I've always inverted, ever since halfway through my Halo days. Don't ask me how, but inverting my Y-axis resulted in a sudden leap in my performance.

achilleas.k

Postby achilleas.k » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:52 am UTC

Sidenote: Scroll down must be "next weapon/spell/item/whatev" while scroll up must be "previous".
The default is usually the other way around. I just always associate down with next and up with previous because that's the usual reading direction. Can't understand the inverse. :?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I usually use scroll down for quick-switch, then use scroll up for zooming. I put the 'cycle through inventory' buttons at mouse4 and 5.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

illiriks

Postby illiriks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:02 am UTC

I only invert on flight sims; for which I use a joystick. I don't think I ever inverted...

bakadeshi

Postby bakadeshi » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23 am UTC

I've gotten used to both, but prefer inverting over not, if only to watch guests who play on my console accounts die horrible tragic deaths due to them not knowing how to look up/down properly :).

Cheap thrills, I know.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:33 am UTC

Never invert.

If there's something interesting up and to the left, I would move my mouse up and to the left to click on it. Therefore, the mouse should go up and to the left to shoot it as well.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Return to “Religious Wars”