headphones if others nearby
22%

Total votes: 125

hintss

headphones vs. speakers

Postby hintss » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:23 am UTC

pretty self explanatory.
mainly for gaming
Last edited by hintss on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ntietz

Re: headphones vs. speakers

Postby ntietz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

For me, this depends on the situation. While I'm at university, I prefer headphones so that I do not disturb my roommate (or other rooms) with the sound from my computer. I really like the sound quality from my Sennheiser headphones, so this is not a problem for me. However, when I am at home, I definitely prefer speakers as long as the sound quality is close, because I've had ongoing ear problems and headphones cause pain after about half an hour of use.

Edit: so, I'm selecting "headphones" as the option since it's what I usually use, even though speakers cause me less troubles.
Edit: I selected "headphones if others are nearby." Thanks for adding the option!
Last edited by ntietz on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hintss

Postby hintss » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

added that option

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

At work, headphones so I can listen without bothering people.

At home, speakers because I like it when it feels like the very air itself is saturated with music.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

For gaming, I'd go with a nice 5.1 (or even a 2.1) system so you can feel like you really are Chell navigating the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.
For music, I've heard if you have the money, get a really nice pair of headphones - not earbuds. The additional details you'll hear are quite something
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I've listened to music on $700 headphones before. That was f***ing amazing.

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:24 am UTC

I usually mute the computer.
For some reason it feels weird to have sound in my games on the computer.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:35 am UTC

If I'm alone speakers, otherwise headphones. (well, those crappy $5 ear-buds you get at wal-mart, but still....)

*and laptop speakers..... yeah, shuddup. :P
Last edited by brakos82 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Nothing mixes audio like air. Headphones are weird because they cut out almost all acoustic effects, except the cool ones your mind recreates all by itself. Properly set up speakers with a really good stereo image win every time.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:10 am UTC

Headphones all the way.
Nobody else wants to hear weird Japanese video game music, and I don't want them to hear it either.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 am UTC

I have pretty awesome creative headphones but if its something that I dont care enough to attach my good speakers to my laptop headphones or laptop speakers are ussually good enough.
these are words
type, type, type

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 am UTC

Nothing beats listening to music, playing games, or watching movies on good speakers. Headphones just don't have the same epic soundstage you get with properly spaced speakers. The studio monitors on my desk don't either. :(

That said, sometimes that can disturb people. I have a set of Denon AHC-751s with Comply foam tips, and they rock for those times when I can't make noise, or you know....I'm not at home.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

I'm hardly ever alone, at work or at home. So I use headphones most of the time. However I don't like it that much because my ears hurt after a while. Speaker is probably less damaging to your ears...

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Speakers whenever I can - specifically, portable speakers, hooked up to an AC adapter whenever I can.

Not only do I get more grainality with them, as the speakers add another level of volume control, but in general, headphones are clunky. Adding to that is the fact I only have those messed-up headphones that come from airports with two port stereo, so I often can only hear mono from there - recently, I had a pair that allowed one port to output to both speakers, but it seemed to fix itself. <_<

That said, I also use headphones when people don't want to hear what I'm listening to at the moment, such as when it's 3 am and my parents are sleeping...when it's 9:30 pm I have no problem cranking the speakers.

Furthermore, speakers work well to ensure I wake up in the morning, when hooked up to my alarm; worse case scenario, they wake up anyone else in my house at the time, and they'll wake me up to turn it off.
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Alexander The 1st wrote:worse case scenario, they wake up anyone else in my house at the time, and they'll wake me up to turn it off.
Worst case scenario, everyone dies in a fire caused by an eletrical fault in the speakers.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I adore my headset, it's USB so if I understand these things right it has it's own soundcard which seems to be much better than my Laptops soundcard.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

For gaming, always headphones, even when I have the choice between cheap headphones and nice speakers. It is easier to determine the direction the sound is coming from, and in a sufficiently quiet environment, you can even hear footsteps. In games like L4D, good headphones are on par with wallhacks.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

natey

Postby natey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Headphones all the way :] they make me feel like I'm really Gorden blasting headcrabs... although my gun sure does feel a lot like a keyboard... and is that the edge of a moniter I see?

On a different note (No pun intended) I usually mute flash games and play my own music, anyone else do that?

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

natey wrote:On a different note (No pun intended) I usually mute flash games and play my own music, anyone else do that?

I don't play Flash games, but when I watch YouTube videos, I usually try to mute them if they have shit music, but it never works, and I have to stop watching anyway.

Usually it's a TF2 video, and I like to be able to hear the original sound, but it's acceptable if they're playing good music over the top.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:48 am UTC

natey wrote:On a different note (No pun intended) I usually mute flash games and play my own music, anyone else do that?

Always. Unless it's Musical Lantern
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:22 am UTC

I knew a friend who had a funny habit of listening to Air Supply (or similar love ballads) while playing Call of Duty. It gives a different atmosphere altogether :mrgreen:

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

If I want to listen to music while playing a simple flash game, I just play Audiosurf.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Worst case scenario, everyone dies in a fire caused by an eletrical fault in the speakers.

At least everyone's awake though. That's the important part.

~~~~

I knew a friend who had a funny habit of listening to Air Supply (or similar love ballads) while playing Call of Duty. It gives a different atmosphere altogether

MGS4 with the J-pop song. Kills any atmosphere in the game - best used during the mech fights, or in the frog fights.

Somewhat interested in downloading it, and playing the song on loop while playing Gears of War, with it muted.

Or Mass Effect.

Prince of Persia.

Megaman 64 wouldn't be too off, though, I'd think.
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

Mr. Nuclear

Postby Mr. Nuclear » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 am UTC

I personally like headphones; it's more intimate for me. In addition, it keeps people from hearing exactly what i'm hearing... which is often a good thing. But don't get me wrong, loudly blaring Rammstein on some real speakers is awesome.
"The nature of modern life is obsession" ~ Gaius Baltar
http://theguvna.blog.com/

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:15 am UTC

I much prefer speakers because I feel uncomfortable if I wear earphones too long. Using speakers isn't always feasible, though, and may disturb others.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:29 am UTC

I use headphones usually to not disturb others, but I dream about having surround sound in a private studio.

eljitto

Postby eljitto » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

i use an over-the-ear pair of headphones for gaming. It gives me isolation and a good sound quality and direction, which is important in games.

i would recommend this AD-700 and a zalman clip-on mic http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD70 ... B000CMS0XU

thelandlord

Postby thelandlord » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

I'm luck enough to be married to another computer-nut, so I can do what I like. I'll always use speakers when I can.

My computer is wired to the main lounge hifi system - as 'quality' hifi was my trade you can be sure that's as awesome as my lounge allows. :)

There's a decent pair of close-field monitors on her system on the other desk right next to mine* for those rare occasions when my machine isn't up, and we both have good 'around the ear' headphones available for when our activities clash.

*Yes, two full-size desks and two matching machines, in the main lounge - marrying another geek rocks... :D

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 am UTC

Damn I love living alone... I always use my 4 speakers+subwoofer while gaming. And because I'm in a basement apartment and there's no one above me+no apartment at all next to me, it's completely silent and I can play it quite loudly. Oh so very nice and much much better than my headphones. Which, ironically I still wear because that's where my mic is located. 'Course the headphones themselves aren't plugged in, just the mic on the headset.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

the tree

Postby the tree » Sat May 08, 2010 8:46 am UTC

modularblues wrote:I use headphones usually to not disturb others
I find this works both ways. If someone is having a really boring conversation in the next room then headphones (even when they are not of the noise cancelling variety) help block it out. Speakers would only be able to do that if they were giving out continuous noise with not quiet bits.

The difference is whether you want to completely immersed and forget the outside world for a while (like sitting on the bus), or if you want to carry on paying attention to the outside world enough (like urm, driving a car). The OP said mainly for gaming in which case immersion is preferable, therefore, headphones.

You know what really sucks? Earphones. I mean, really.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon May 10, 2010 8:49 am UTC

I generally prefer speakers, but I'll swap to headphones to avoid conflicts over the content or volume.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

markop2003

Postby markop2003 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Headphones, you get much more for your money and you don't have to worry about room acoustics

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Headphones. Good direction sense (for gaming), good sound for the money you pay, and noise cancelation. Not earphones (sounds is usually okay, but they hurt the ears), and only speakers when in the car (to avoid immersion, and I don't need direction sense ;)).

Also, headphones give you good sound on the go. (only alternatives are earphones, which, as I already said, hurt the ears, and laptop speakers, which suck).
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

Canklefish

Postby Canklefish » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

Headphones are always less invasive than speakers, and should be used whenever the situation dictates that the personal space of others could be compromised. Common sense really, but it never ceases to amaze... If I were gaming alone in the comfort of my own home, then speakers would always be my choice.

negatron

Postby negatron » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Headphones are superior in terms of value (sound quality for the dollar), avoid the unresolvable problem of room acoustics and offer better positional cues in a properly developed game. The issue with headphones is spatial processing to externalize the sound. This is a resolvable problem but it requires game developers to recognize it first and use proper sound processing libraries.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:For gaming, always headphones, even when I have the choice between cheap headphones and nice speakers. It is easier to determine the direction the sound is coming from, and in a sufficiently quiet environment, you can even hear footsteps. In games like L4D, good headphones are on par with wallhacks.

Agreed, my father has a very nice set of studio headphones (Think 800$ +) Any ways, I can't play MW2 without them, being able to hear my UMP shells hit the floor is awesome, even more awesome? Hearing the guy a good 10 meters away around a series of corners shuffle his feet or reload.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 am UTC

Always headphones, always. For two reasons. Mainly because I get very uncomfortable about people judging the music I listen to. It's a very personal thing for me, and I like my privacy.

Secondly, and relatedly, I feel like it imposes on people. It's really annoying to hear someone else's music, at anytime. For me, at least. It's just noise pollution. At home, it'll annoy your siblings. Living by yourself in the city, it'll annoy your next door neighbors. Living in a dorm, it WILL annoy at least one person in the hall. Even if it's 3PM, I guarantee you that someone's still sleeping/napping. Usually me.

I don't really care about acoustics.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

djfly

Postby djfly » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

I don't game much, but when I do feel the need to fire up a (dated) FPS, speakers definitely win if I'm alone. For music, while not at work, the speakers win even if I'm not alone. Tough luck to my roommate if they don't like my music, I have to put up with hers all the time! While at work, headphones are the only choice as the office space is shared.

I should add that part of the reason that I prefer the speakers if nothing is more amazing that playing a game with 4 CLS-12 Cerwin Vega speakers driven by a big Onkyo receiver. When a shotgun in a game actually makes the room vibrate, you feel far more involved (even my AKG monitoring headphones can't compete)

mercuryseven wrote:I knew a friend who had a funny habit of listening to Air Supply (or similar love ballads) while playing Call of Duty. It gives a different atmosphere altogether :mrgreen:

I do this - I turn the "sound effect" volume up and the "game music" off and play the psytrance channel on di.fm. When pumping bad guys full of lead, I like something that pumps me right up! :twisted:
A witty saying proves nothing

phider2

Postby phider2 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:59 am UTC

djfly wrote:I don't game much, but when I do feel the need to fire up a (dated) FPS, speakers definitely win if I'm alone. For music, while not at work, the speakers win even if I'm not alone. Tough luck to my roommate if they don't like my music, I have to put up with hers all the time! While at work, headphones are the only choice as the office space is shared.

I should add that part of the reason that I prefer the speakers if nothing is more amazing that playing a game with 4 CLS-12 Cerwin Vega speakers driven by a big Onkyo receiver. When a shotgun in a game actually makes the room vibrate, you feel far more involved (even my AKG monitoring headphones can't compete)

Pretty much the same for me, but not to that extreme. I have a set of vintage (1978) New Advent Loudspeakers (yard sale, $20), reconed with new surrounds, hooked up to a decent kenwood stereo (it's kind of obscure, but I've figured out that it's somewhere between 100 and 140 WPC. Also, thrift store, $10). Since getting this setup, it's pretty common for my mom to come down (my room is in the basement) and ask if she's hearing thunder or if it's my game/music. When I need it to be quiet, I have some Sennheiser HD 420's (about the same age as the speakers, came with them in the same yard sale) but they still sound great with an amp. They don't hold up as well when plugged into an ipod, etc, though, because they have an impedance of 600 Ohms, so portable devices usually don't have enough power.

Return to “Religious Wars”